WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO!

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
FargoDog said:
Abomination said:
I present to everyone the supposed correct way to engage in conversation with someone you have an opposing viewpoint to.
Engaging in a civil manner with people like that is like trying to solve a problem with your lawnmower by stopping the blade with your hand.

Impractical.
I mean, being a hypocrite is clearly the best way to resolve any problem.

But it's okay, right? Because he's (supposedly) racist for adopting a Socratic stance on an issue.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
And yet, "people can't take a fucking joke" is NOT okay when used to defend a form of insult you DON'T like.
I'm not entirely sure what this means.

Halp? Someone?
"People who use this defense are rarely able to appreciate jokes that target themselves" I think.

Also Daystar, you might wanna abandon this thread, it's not worth debating here.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
This comic was glorious. Maybe the best one they've done yet.

It made me euphoric.

And that's speaking as an atheist brony who frequents video game message boards.

But I will never wear a fedora.

Dec 14, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Oh fuck it. I give up. Do whatever you want. Your're right and I'm wrong.
I'm glad we finally agree on this topic :D

Zachary Amaranth said:
So, given that, I'm out.
Zachy! ZACHY!

Wait, I'm coming with you.

[HEADING=1]ZACHY WAIT![/HEADING]

Calibanbutcher said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
And yet, "people can't take a fucking joke" is NOT okay when used to defend a form of insult you DON'T like.
I'm not entirely sure what this means.

Halp? Someone?
"People who use this defense are rarely able to appreciate jokes that target themselves" I think.

Also Daystar, you might wanna abandon this thread, it's not worth debating here.
Cali-bear, come with me if you want to live!

Apr 24, 2008
FargoDog said:
Abomination said:
I present to everyone the supposed correct way to engage in conversation with someone you have an opposing viewpoint to.
Engaging in a civil manner with people like that is like trying to solve a problem with your lawnmower by stopping the blade with your hand.

Impractical.
Nope. This attitude is promptly followed by the walls going up.

quenlinlom said:
Translated this comic to plain English:
Could you please make as many of these as possible? They're entertaining.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
The comic is fine, though the poor dead horse it's beating could probably use a burial by now (still kind of funny though). The real issue is that the way people are lauding it is reaching circle-jerk levels of obnoxious. I got through two pages of comments and wanted to vomit from all the author fellating and giddy anticipation of altercation.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
quenlinlom said:
The author bites his own hands.

Asking the question isn't the same as demanding a change, and the mere fact of the character being (in this case)white isn't racist but trying to justify it with (He's like "Well then maybe people won't be able to identify with him")
as a defense to keep a charter a certain way without the choice being about setting/time period or even just the creators decision. Then saying that everyone(male/female white/Hispanic/black/Asian/Indian/Middle Eastern/Etc Gay/Straight Short/Averge/Tall Obese/Skinny/etc. etc. etc etc. ) who would seek to play it is or should be okay with playing as a white male guy character which implies anything other than a white guy would be an inferior choice to have as the character.

Again this isn't just about if the character is X but rather why it can only be X.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
quenlinlom said:
The author bites his own hands.

Image Snipped
False equivalence. In this comic, his race is actually critical to the plot and changing it would actually mean something. Contrasted to the video games he is talking about, where the protagonist is white for purely business reasons and the plot wouldn't be altered if it was changed.

quenlinlom

Sep 13, 2013
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Could you please make as many of these as possible? They're entertaining.
I didn't make them. Three 4chan boards are currently engaging in editing them: /pol/, /v/, and /fit/.

I couldn't post most of them because The Escapist isn't really a place of unmoderated pure free speech.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Trilligan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh, I care about people who have a point to make, I have yet to see one.

Ergo, I don't care.
The point, of course, was that your condescending attitude - like the condescending attitudes of many on this forum, and the internet at large, is detrimental. To yourself, to those around you, to society as a whole.

We get caught up in ourselves, in our own apathy, and we think that gives us a free pass to be arrogant and derisive towards others, to mock people who are different, to refuse to accept other points of view, to dismiss people who have ideas that differ from our own. We become isolationist, reactionary, vicious and cruel. We revel in selfishness and narcissism and when someone points it out, asks us to try to be better, we shut down or lash out rather than reflect and even consider the possibility that we might shed some bad habits and grow as people.

My point is that we are working below our ability, and that we could be so much better if we just put in a little effort to be kinder to one another.

And that includes not mocking people. It includes not mocking ourselves. We should culture self respect and respect for others, and we should treasure our commonalities instead of alienating one another for our differences.

It's the only point I've ever tried to make. But you don't care, nobody does.

But the thing about it is, I care.
I find this kind of agreeable. Though, sometimes we all need a good mocking. Especially for ourselves, but yes. It should not be at the cost of our self respect, or sometimes the respect we have for others.

Is that a tad idealistic? Hell yes, but that just means it's something to try for.
Daystar Clarion said:
Trilligan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh, I care about people who have a point to make, I have yet to see one.

Ergo, I don't care.
The point, of course, was that your condescending attitude - like the condescending attitudes of many on this forum, and the internet at large, is detrimental. To yourself, to those around you, to society as a whole.

We get caught up in ourselves, in our own apathy, and we think that gives us a free pass to be arrogant and derisive towards others, to mock people who are different, to refuse to accept other points of view, to dismiss people who have ideas that differ from our own. We become isolationist, reactionary, vicious and cruel. We revel in selfishness and narcissism and when someone points it out, asks us to try to be better, we shut down or lash out rather than reflect and even consider the possibility that we might shed some bad habits and grow as people.

My point is that we are working below our ability, and that we could be so much better if we just put in a little effort to be kinder to one another.

And that includes not mocking people. It includes not mocking ourselves. We should culture self respect and respect for others, and we should treasure our commonalities instead of alienating one another for our differences.

It's the only point I've ever tried to make. But you don't care, nobody does.

But the thing about it is, I care.
I don't really agree with your synopsis of what I'm thinking, what with you not being a mind reader.

But at least you presented it in a way that doesn't paint me as a baby eating child molesting baby monster.

So thanks for that, I guess.
:D Some people don't set a high bar for you do they?

Come on, Daystar. Cheer up a bit! You do seem a bit down in the dumps. Me and Trilligan are just worried about you. [sub][sub]Not really. It's all a trap! We want your cupcake stash.[/sub][/sub]

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Daaaah Whoosh said:
I...I kind of feel offended by this. I don't really understand, is the comic applying negative stereotypes to white heterosexual males? And if so, is it meant to mirror the racism felt by the man in his story at the beginning? Or is it just saying that all white people are racist? Or is there perhaps some other explanation? All I know is that my race/sexual preference/gender is being made fun of, and I'm not sure if I'm okay with that. Maybe that's the point?
No, it is basically portraying the most common and false arguments made whenever there is a discussion on race going on about just about anything. It is the same for any kind of feminist conversation online, some people get so offended that other people who have higher melanin content or a vagina want equal representation in games and movies that they have to point out all the ways they are "discriminated" against.

Not all white people act this way, but it is just a very common series of arguments found online put into human form.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Spot1990 said:
Trilligan said:
Spot1990 said:
And it's not condescending to tell someone they should be a better person?
I don't think so, no.

We are all imperfect, and we can all stand to improve. Analyze our attitudes, confront the reasons we hold certain beliefs, try to empathize with our fellow man. We all make mistakes, we all have flaws, we can all do better. We all SHOULD be better.

Even the best of us have room to improve.
Well if he's equal to you then you're in no position to tell him to be a better person because if he was equal and became better then you're telling him he has to try harder than you do. If you don't consider him equal then you're being condescending.
I'm sorry, the way you set that up makes it so that you can never criticize another person ever. And that's just...no.