WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Trilligan said:
Ukomba said:
give a single point they actually make on a subject.
Well, for starters, there's the point that asking for minority representation in games is not, in fact, and assault on the majority, and trying to defend that majority from that perceived (and nonexistent) assault is asinine.

That one's kinda what the comic is about.
That's a cool point. It's just too bad the comic never tried to make that point.

You certainly have the guy in the first panel being all reasonable in what he says, but that's how a straw-man works. You have one side make a point, and rather than have a reasoned respond to it, you set up the other-side do/say something that further makes your point. in this case, being against changing a characters race = murderous looser.

Edit: I get that interpretation, but if that's the true point it's getting lost in everything else. If they said maybe:

"Artistic vision in video games is safe for another day."

As they fly off, then that would at least bring if full circle back to that point.

M0tty

Aug 2, 2008
Couldn't be bothered to read all the way through waiting for the shitstorm to start.
Skipped to the end.

Was not disappointed.
Great comic btw.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Disappointing. I've seen you do much better work in the past. As is, it appears to be "Strawman: The Comic". Such comics are rather easy to reword or slightly edit to make it argue opposite points. This might be why /pol/ is currently doing this.

Oh, and as for the Zimmerman joke...

You all have a nice day now

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
The fedora was a nice touch to add the authenticity, I can already feel the bile rising in my mouth

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Master of the Skies said:
Azaraxzealot said:
lacktheknack said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Well it's just lazy to make fun of white people. It's easy because of all the horrible things associated with them, but it's just plain lazy and a real cop-out in terms of writing.
I think it's rather insulting to white people to say they're the target. Those groups being mocked seem to be mostly white people, doesn't mean making fun of those groups is about making fun of white people. White people get mentioned because the sorts being mocked you will often see spouting "White males are the most discriminated against people ever". And I've seen several people speak to that effect with perfect seriousness. And if you question it they scream about how you must think there is never any discrimination against white people or males.
Well the name of the comic is straight-up "White Guy Defense Force", and it specifically has those guys defending "White Heterosexual Males". So... that's where I draw the conclusion that white people are the target, maybe more specifically white heterosexual males who are also running nerd culture, but it still boils down to just another "white people are stupid" joke. Like millions of other white people jokes before it.
Pssssst... he's mocking the defenders.

Did... did you think that the defenders were somehow the good guys? I don't understand.

Are you going to tell me that a comic lampooning the KKK is now mocking all white people? ;__;
Oh it had nothing to do with mocking the KKK, otherwise there would have been an overt physical reference in at least one of the characters.

It had all to do with mocking stereotypical white nerds who want everything to cater to their wants and needs and genuinely believe themselves to be discriminated for their race. And here's the thing, while they are deserving of mockery, it's just too easy a target, and at this point it's beating a dead horse. Contributors to the entertainment industry should focus on positive change, not low-brow mockery, because literally EVERYONE can and does do it on a regular basis.

No, I didn't think that the white guy defenders were at all meant to be portrayed as good and I don't know how that conclusion could ever be drawn logically. I just think it's lazy mockery on par with "dumb husband" commercial and Scary Movie levels of low-brow comedy.
Uh huh... so why did you make it out to be against white males in the first place if you recognized it was against a more specific set?
I'm saying that's what it comes down to in the end. At the end of the day it's another lazy variation "white people suck". Even if it is aimed at slightly more specific white people, it still furthers the stereotype that all people with blindingly reflective epidermis tones are like this. And I think it's lazy. I don't think it's abhorrent or that these people need defending, just that it's a joke that's already worn out by now. There are enough normal internet users that already mock them, we don't need contributors to our entertainment to sink to those levels.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Question:

Is white guy Beta's hover hand mode an intentional reference to the Mr. N character in Divekick, or is it just an awesome coincidence?

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
After rereading this a few times, I have come to the conclusion that this is fucking awful, and this is from someone who absolutely supports the goals of equal civil rights for all humans.

All you have done is give ammunition to your opponents by creating an awful, blunt and quite frankly insulting strawman.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
omegawyrm said:
Question:

Is white guy Beta's hover hand mode an intentional reference to the Mr. N character in Divekick, or is it just an awesome coincidence?
I haven't played Divekick, but I'm pretty sure "hover hand mode" is a reference to the really really old meme.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Well it's just lazy to make fun of white people. It's easy because of all the horrible things associated with them, but it's just plain lazy and a real cop-out in terms of writing.
I think it's rather insulting to white people to say they're the target. Those groups being mocked seem to be mostly white people, doesn't mean making fun of those groups is about making fun of white people. White people get mentioned because the sorts being mocked you will often see spouting "White males are the most discriminated against people ever". And I've seen several people speak to that effect with perfect seriousness. And if you question it they scream about how you must think there is never any discrimination against white people or males.
Well the name of the comic is straight-up "White Guy Defense Force", and it specifically has those guys defending "White Heterosexual Males". So... that's where I draw the conclusion that white people are the target, maybe more specifically white heterosexual males who are also running nerd culture, but it still boils down to just another "white people are stupid" joke. Like millions of other white people jokes before it.
It's making fun of the people who go around 'defending' white guys with things like "White males are the most discriminated against group nowadays". Making fun of people who overstate problems for white heterosexual males is not the same as making fun of white heterosexual males. You're completely missing it.
But again it boils down to just making fun of white people. And I'm not saying that people like the ones portrayed in the comic are not deserving of mockery, I'm saying it's lazy to make that joke. I didn't miss it, I was just disappointed that the writer didn't reach for solutions or make any commentary beyond "lol, these guyz are dumb". And I feel that was a waste of time, because everyone already knows and makes fun of these types everywhere, why couldn't the writer have done something better than what everyone else was doing. By all means, keep making fun of stereotypical white guys who think they're discriminated against, but reach a little higher than just vanilla mockery, because everyone already does that, we don't need contributors to greater entertainment to sink to their level, we need them to do better so we can not just shame them, but make them go away and have more rational individuals take over.
Right, making fun of white people. Is it too much to ask that you actually try and be honest in your phrasing? It's kind of like saying that making fun of Nazis is making fun of white people. Totally disingenuous way to pretend it's about another attribute of theirs.

And reach for what solutions? Kind of an empty politician phrase there. "We should be seeking solutions!" and then don't give an actual example of what supposed solution should be instead. Solution from a comic no less.

And there it is again. Stereotypical white guys. I'm pretty sure it's not a white guy stereotype.

You end with it again. That politician kind of talk where you say he should be looking for a miracle cure, but yet... we don't seem to have your formula for a miracle cure available.
Here's a solution, how about instead of those white defense force buttholes killing a dude and fleeing, they get mobbed by rational types who just pick them up and throw them out without saying a word before their argument even begins. It would be reflective of how we should treat them instead of just a comic about how stupid they are. We already KNOW how stupid they are, and if the place that Erin and the other dude were talking in was, perhaps, set up to be a direct allusion to a typical web forum, then the comic would have more meaning.

See? Not just empty "politician-speak", I just didn't realize I needed to defend my views so thoroughly to avoid being lumped in with the white guy defenders as it seems I am. I was very clear on my points in my original post, it just seems that reading comprehension is a shortcoming of the general internet.

Andopet

Sep 13, 2013
madwarper said:
chronobreak said:
If the authors had any conviction, or any courage, they would be in here to explain their work. They will stay far away and let the click money come in, all while probably having a good laugh at the fiasco they have created. To me, that is cowardice.
Granted, if he did enter the forums and repeat what was said in the comic, he'd probably be ban-hammered rather quickly.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

Regardless of what some of our content creators may say, do or provoke within their videos or articles, this does not give members the ability to act in the same way. They are entertainers and if they brought their language or flaming into the forums, they would be held accountable, just as any other forum member of The Escapist would be.
That seems pretty disgusting. The escapist can say what it likes and people aren't allowed to answer back? Says quite a lot about this website I think.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Why do some of the users here appear to be posting under the delusion that Grey was attempting to seriously argue for any particular point? It's comedy. Unless I'm mistaken, jokes aren't known for impeccable logic and lack of stereotypes.

Were you guys under the misapprehension that Critical Miss is notably high-brow or something? xD

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Twelve pages later and without a doubt, this thread keeps delivering. The amount of people who both don't get the joke, and get all up in arms over it and thus reinforce and make the joke funnier, are of course appreciated and encouraged to please continue.

It's like a side of fries on the very satisfying comic hamburger. And a drink!

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
As a straight + white + male + brony + possibly other things I didn't even notice are being mocked, I found this rather silly and funny, and I look forward to watching what corruptions it will spawn. Having said that, I shall now retreat to my flame-proof cave until the greatest shitstorm of our time this year the past two weeks this 48 hours has died down.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Moth_Monk said:
Why do some of the users here appear to be posting under the delusion that Grey was attempting to seriously argue for any particular point? It's comedy. Unless I'm mistaken, jokes aren't known for impeccable logic and lack of stereotypes.
If it was comedy, it would be funny.
In all seriousness though, just because it's a joke doesn't mean you can't discuss its content. Which is why rape/racist/sexist jokes are such flamebait.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
EDIT: nope never mind, I quit. All responding to this thread is going to do is get me labeled as "white guy defense force" (which I suspect is now going to be a forced meme used by smug twats, much the same as "spunkgargelweewee") and feeding the egos of the "LOLumadumadumad" types. I'm done.

CM156 said:
Oh, and as for the Zimmerman joke...

You all have a nice day now
/thread