WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO!

Aug 31, 2011
bunji said:
Its kinda funny that you people actually think that it is somehow both a positive male image and male priviledge that men take the worst jobs out there. And I dont know how it is in the US, but where I live, garbage collectors make far less than a nurse, have a lower social standing, and his jobsecurity is horrible because everyone could do the job if they wanted to replace him. And thats not just an arbitrary anectdote, its an example for gods sake. What do you want me to ramble of every little job possible?

It was also just one single example on how reality is alot more complex than MEN OPRESSOR WOMAN OPRESSED, but I guess a nuanced worldview isnt really the forte of most people.
Comparing garbage collection to nursing isn't correct. Nursing requires education, skills. Compare it instead to say, grocery store stocking. No education or skills necessary beyond basic physical ability. And yeah, in that case, garbage collectors make more money. By far.

http://work.chron.com/national-average-income-garbageman-6642.html

I make less than that average and I have both education (though not required for my job) and work in a semi-skilled position. And I work in a female-dominated industry, with zero job security. So...remind me, what was your argument? Oh, nuance. Hmph.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Overquoted said:
Well, I briefly worked in the publishing industry and I still follow news and scandals to a degree. And from what I recall, there was (and may still be) an issue with book covers. Specifically, the characters would be described as non-white, and then the covers would have white characters. The idea being that if non-white characters were on the cover, the publisher would sell fewer books.
I've also heard this is the reason some female authors publish their names in such a way that disguises their gender, like J.K. Rowling. The idea being men and boys tend to pass up books written by women more often, so if the book is meant to either appeal to males or both sexes the author disguises her sex to avoid this.

And holy shit on a stick, guys, look at that. 20 pages. I must admit I literally laughed out loud when I scrolled at the bottom of the comic and saw like 680 comments.

Aug 31, 2011
Abomination said:
Yeah, I mean, it's completely logical to consider the opinions of a black man more than the opinions of a white man when discussing the notion that white men can be discriminated against.

If I was to ask a black man if they had ever been discriminated against because of his race and/or sex/gender and he replied that he had an I valued his opinion less because he's not white that would be racist.

Yet in this scenario when introducing the idea that a white man can be discriminated against because of his race and/or sex/gender a white man's opinion is valued less because he is a white man... but that's somehow NOT discriminatory?

The entire point of the argument is that non-white males are not exclusively discriminated against. Yet in that very argument the white male's opinion is worth less than a black male's opinion... which just proves the argument.

This is simply a case of someone eating a cake and having it too.

Edit - changed "simple" to "simply".
Not that it is worth less. But that your experiences are far, far less likely to compare to his. So when you and other white guys (or white women) complain about racism directed towards white people, what specifically is it being compared to? Seriously, man. That's what drives me nuts, every time.

I moved from a major metro area with a relatively diverse population to a small city that is heavily white. And it astounds me how obvious and widespread the racism is. But boy, it sure is difficult to be associated with an ethnicity that has historically been racist. And it's definitely more difficult to be white in a country with on-going issues with race than it is to be a member of a non-white ethnicity. Totally.

So yeah, his opinion carries more weight because, you know what? He's probably experienced not just one or two instances of discrimination, but many. It's probably impacted his life from birth. Meanwhile, the most common argument for racism against whites is either political correctness or affirmative defense. Or someone made a joke.

Here, let me give you an example of how a woman's opinion would carry more weight than yours: in almost any discussion about sexual violence. Not because men don't experience rape (and any man who said they'd did would have equal footing in such a discussion), but because the average guy either has not, or has not experienced it to the degree and regularity that many women have.

Degree and regularity. Those words. Get it? So unless you got a bunch of examples of how you've been discriminated against in real life, I recommend you give the victim card back to whoever you stole it from.

Ramzal

Jun 24, 2011
Abomination said:
Overquoted said:
*stares* Maybe it carries more weight because he's actually experienced the world in a different way and it's relevant to the situation? Kind of like if a fast food worker expresses an opinion about working conditions in the kitchen of a Mickey D's...their opinion would carry more weight than someone who has never worked fast food.

So...his opinion doesn't carry more weight in every situation. He probably wouldn't even bring it up in other discussions. But I suspect you were trying to get at something more anyway. Maybe that his opinion counts more cuz you're a white dude and he's not? *goes back to banging head against the wall*
Yeah, I mean, it's completely logical to consider the opinions of a black man more than the opinions of a white man when discussing the notion that white men can be discriminated against.

If I was to ask a black man if they had ever been discriminated against because of his race and/or sex/gender and he replied that he had an I valued his opinion less because he's not white that would be racist.

Yet in this scenario when introducing the idea that a white man can be discriminated against because of his race and/or sex/gender a white man's opinion is valued less because he is a white man... but that's somehow NOT discriminatory?

The entire point of the argument is that non-white males are not exclusively discriminated against. Yet in that very argument the white male's opinion is worth less than a black male's opinion... which just proves the argument.

This is simply a case of someone eating a cake and having it too.

Edit - changed "simple" to "simply".
Well, to be perfectly clear (And I am not saying you think this at all. I hate putting words in peoples mouths. So forgive me if I do, that's not my intention) I just want to say that I don't think my opinion is worth more than a white man/woman's opinion. The reason why I opened that way was because whenever I WOULD speak out against things like this I would immediately be dismissed as a KKK member. No, seriously. It happens a lot. It's ridiculous how badly whites get treated for having an opinion that doesn't fall under what is believed/said by the masses. I didn't mean to have my words carry any more weight than anyone else, I'm just tired of being accused of being a racist against blacks because I don't have the author's outlook on things.

My wife is white and she's been under the racism-catching-bus far more than I have. She has been insulted, threatened, and attacked for having the audacity of being white and having an opinion/looking different/daring to exist.

My entire rage about this comic is the fact that it just helps paint the picture of "Blacks vs Whites." When in reality (At least in my life), I have been an equal more often in the eyes whites than I have been to blacks for my opinions, as I would be casted into the pile of "Honkey, cracker, whiteboy" if they are on the internet and don't know my race, and an "Oreo" more often than not if they -do- know my race IRL.

Again, I am sorry if it seemed that I was using my race to carry the weight of my opinion. It wasn't my intention.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Overquoted said:
Not that it is worth less. But that your experiences are far, far less likely to compare to his. So when you and other white guys (or white women) complain about racism directed towards white people, what specifically is it being compared to? Seriously, man. That's what drives me nuts, every time.
Who says it is being compared to anything? Are you attempting to appeal to worst circumstances as an excuse for it happening? Something negative is negative regardless of what is happening in other locations. If you wish to debate proportionate suffering between the discrimination or oppression other races/genders suffer in comparison to white males that's a different topic.

But again, you are saying that a white male's opinion on if white men are being discriminated against in a certain area is worth LESS than a black man's because a black man is discriminated against more in OTHER areas.

To use your fast-food worker as an analogy. It would be like a fast food worker's opinion of how accountants can be mistreated in accountancy firms holding more value than an accountant's because a fast-food worker is more likely to be mistreated than an accountant in their respective work places. But we're not talking about in workplaces overall, we are talking about if accountants can and are mistreated AT ALL in their specific workplace.

I moved from a major metro area with a relatively diverse population to a small city that is heavily white. And it astounds me how obvious and widespread the racism is. But boy, it sure is difficult to be associated with an ethnicity that has historically been racist. And it's definitely more difficult to be white in a country with on-going issues with race than it is to be a member of a non-white ethnicity. Totally.

So yeah, his opinion carries more weight because, you know what? He's probably experienced not just one or two instances of discrimination, but many. It's probably impacted his life from birth. Meanwhile, the most common argument for racism against whites is either political correctness or affirmative defense. Or someone made a joke.

Here, let me give you an example of how a woman's opinion would carry more weight than yours: in almost any discussion about sexual violence. Not because men don't experience rape (and any man who said they'd did would have equal footing in such a discussion), but because the average guy either has not, or has not experienced it to the degree and regularity that many women have.

Degree and regularity. Those words. Get it? So unless you got a bunch of examples of how you've been discriminated against in real life, I recommend you give the victim card back to whoever you stole it from.
How does this relate in any way as to IF white males are discriminated against? Nobody is saying that white men have it worse in other areas.

We aren't talking about other areas. We are talking about in race and gender debates where a while male's opinion is discriminated against.

And you're doing it right now.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Ramzal said:
Well, to be perfectly clear (And I am not saying you think this at all. I hate putting words in peoples mouths. So forgive me if I do, that's not my intention) I just want to say that I don't think my opinion is worth more than a white man/woman's opinion.
No no no. I never said you did either. I understand completely and am not in any way dismissing your opinion. I am simply highlighting and agreeing with what you say immediately after this very quote I'm quoting:
The reason why I opened that way was because whenever I WOULD speak out against things like this I would immediately be dismissed as a KKK member. No, seriously. It happens a lot. It's ridiculous how badly whites get treated for having an opinion that doesn't fall under what is believed/said by the masses. I didn't mean to have my words carry any more weight than anyone else, I'm just tired of being accused of being a racist against blacks because I don't have the author's outlook on things.

My wife is white and she's been under the racism-catching-bus far more than I have. She has been insulted, threatened, and attacked for having the audacity of being white and having an opinion/looking different/daring to exist.

My entire rage about this comic is the fact that it just helps paint the picture of "Blacks vs Whites." When in reality (At least in my life), I have been an equal more often in the eyes whites than I have been to blacks for my opinions, as I would be casted into the pile of "Honkey, cracker, whiteboy" if they are on the internet and don't know my race, and an "Oreo" more often than not if they -do- know my race IRL.

Again, I am sorry if it seemed that I was using my race to carry the weight of my opinion. It wasn't my intention.
I do not believe you were using the race card at all... I am just pointing out the terrible irony of the scenario in that it DOES carry more weight and I hold nothing against you for using it as a primary example as to proving your point in the first place. The fact is does carry more weight proves the very point you're making. It's essentially a self-evident truth.

Aug 31, 2011
Ramzal said:
Well, to be perfectly clear (And I am not saying you think this at all. I hate putting words in peoples mouths. So forgive me if I do, that's not my intention) I just want to say that I don't think my opinion is worth more than a white man/woman's opinion. The reason why I opened that way was because whenever I WOULD speak out against things like this I would immediately be dismissed as a KKK member. No, seriously. It happens a lot. It's ridiculous how badly whites get treated for having an opinion that doesn't fall under what is believed/said by the masses. I didn't mean to have my words carry any more weight than anyone else, I'm just tired of being accused of being a racist against blacks because I don't have the author's outlook on things.

Never saw your original post, but you're lucky. I see more examples of the opposite where I live. Unmarked cars with dudes in vests pulling over a coworker who has just passed a background check and patting him down. Outright racism, with slurs and all. The university I went to last year had major issues with racism in the dorms. Really nasty stuff, not just slurs.

And personally, I've never experienced an ethnic-based attack or discrimination that I'm aware of. Unless you count being jumped by a group of Hispanic and African American girls in high school, but I don't think that was a race thing. Especially since the same girls would attack anyone. :)

Gender-based discrimination/attacks, on the other hand? Pain in my ass.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008

Just back away slowly. No sudden movements. Avoid eye contact...

Rakschas

Jan 7, 2013
not gonna read 21 pages of controversy, no disrespect. seeing how out of control this whole thing has spun, this comic still proves to be a good lesson for both creators and audience to never go full retard.

May 29, 2011
Comic was funny as hell, a little bit offensive ("Zimmerman mode"? Really?) but it had a point that I agree with so whatevs.

Watching this thread just on the BRINK of a shitstorm has been more funny though. Don't let the haters get ya down Carta'.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Trilligan said:
Abomination said:
To use your fast-food worker as an analogy. It would be like a fast food worker's opinion of how accountants can be mistreated in accountancy firms holding more value than an accountant's because a fast-food worker is more likely to be mistreated than an accountant in their respective work places. But we're not talking about in workplaces overall, we are talking about if accountants can and are mistreated AT ALL in their specific workplace.
I like that the black role is filled by the fast food worker and the white role is filled by the accountant.
The comparison is astute as it is difficult to picture a person employed in fast-food as receiving higher payment than an accountant employed in an accountancy role. We are not disputing who has it better or worse overall but if someone has it bad in a certain area or not.

It wasn't even intentional but I'm certain you can see how the financial situations of accountants and the difficulties faced by white people on average are comparable to the financial situations of fast-food workers and the difficulties faced by black people on average... but I must enforce that it is NOT the topic being discussed.

May 29, 2011
xdiesp said:
Grey Carter is a pretender who guilt trips others, to hypocritically moralize about what he is not.

He is a man, but his comic persona is a sassy gamer girl who sticks it to male chauvinism: one has no right to call himself a feminist, when life will never burn him with it. He is white, and now goes after white priviledge: as if he wasn't another privileged white man enjoying his status.

There's no worse hypocrite than those who push about what is right, without ever feeling the fallout from it, without ever changing anything but talk.
Okay look what?

Your argument seems to be that you're not allowed to comment or criticize any of the actions of a group if you belong to that group, and that you need to personally experience things before you're ALLOWED to talk about them. How can you not see this as anything but nonsense?

And that the former SOMEHOW makes you a hypocrite. That leaves me confused as to whether or not you know what "hypocrite" means, seeing as how that would only apply if he PARTICIPATED in chauvinism and white privilege. Are you implying all white men are chauvinistic towards women? Because that's the only way what you just said makes sense.

And yes, one has a right to call himself a feminist even if he is male, what an utterly absurd comment.

Grey Carter is a pretender who guilt trips others
No I'm fairly sure he's a comic strip artist who made a joke. And I'm fairly sure you're over reacting, in a completely unnecessary and offending way.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I didn't think the comic was anything special, but damn that's a lot of posts in one day. XD I'm assuming there's a large amount of butthurt going on. CBA to read any of the comments.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Karathos said:
On an actual serious note: never understood the needless complexity of the argument regarding character race. There's no need for anything more complex than "we wanted him to be white". The author, not the reader, chooses his characters. Changing a character's race, gender or what have you under pressure to appease group X is just as bad as anything else. I always find myself asking; if it doesn't matter that the main character is X or Y (in this case white or black) why can't he remain X then? It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.
Your dedication to artistic autonomy is admirable. Does it extend to every aspect of a game?

You're absolutely right, of course. Creators can make whatever they like, but that shouldn't and won't stop critics from looking at the decisions they've made, from the mechanics to the casting/character design, and asking questions. I see a lot of developers defaulting to the white, 30-something, handsome-yet-grizzled dude, these days and, frankly, it's boring. I suspect many would agree with me. I don't think these characters are designed to mesh with some great artistic vision. In fact; I think their presence quite often signifies the opposite; a complete lack of vision on the creator's part. So yes, I'd rather see some (some, not all) writers come out of their comfort zones and write characters that differ from the norm, be that in terms of race, gender, sexuality, species, etc.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Trilligan said:
Abomination said:
The comparison is astute as it is difficult to picture a person employed in fast-food as receiving higher payment than an accountant employed in an accountancy role. We are not disputing who has it better or worse overall but if someone has it bad in a certain area or not.

It wasn't even intentional but I'm certain you can see how the financial situations of accountants and the difficulties faced by white people on average are comparable to the financial situations of fast-food workers and the difficulties faced by black people on average... but I must enforce that it is NOT the topic being discussed.
I got your point. Did you get mine?

There's a pretty blatant implication in your analogy that white people are naturally going to be found doing intellectual work and black people are naturally going to be found doing menial labor.

You could have, for instance, compared the fast food worker to a janitor to make the same point. You made a thoughtless assumption about where black people are supposed to fit in the hierarchy, and where white people fit in relation to them. Black people = menial blue collar work, white people = middle/upper class intellectual white collar work.

I'm not saying you did it on purpose. I am pointing out that you did do it though.

Thoughtless assumptions about where members of each race are supposed to be in our society is very much at the heart of this issue. It's the whole reason why black protagonists are rare. Black people are fine as sidekicks, but ask for one as a protagonist and suddenly people are yelling at you for 'pandering' and trying to force people to be 'PC'. Asking somebody to question their assumptions about where the races are 'meant' to be in relation to one another is met not with discussion, but with hyperdefensive posturing and attempts to vilify each other, which turns into the ridiculous circular hatefest you see in the last twenty pages or so.
I think it was because I didn't want to disregard that the fast food worker does have it worse - in general - than the accountant in this scenario. I was attempting to establish something comparable in relation to the black-white race discrimination.

If I had gone with the janitor approach I'm certain someone, somewhere, would have complained that the comparison between the situations of black and white people is not the same as between fast food workers and janitors as they are both essentially on an even playing field.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Essentially, everyone faces discrimination in one way or another, and to deny that for one group is to embrace that very discrimination against that group. Essentially disproving the very stance the person is taking by the fact they are taking it. A terrible irony yet one that seems to be embraced in earnest with this very subject.

Aug 31, 2011
Abomination said:
Who says it is being compared to anything? Are you attempting to appeal to worst circumstances as an excuse for it happening? Something negative is negative regardless of what is happening in other locations. If you wish to debate proportionate suffering between the discrimination or oppression other races/genders suffer in comparison to white males that's a different topic.

But again, you are saying that a white male's opinion on if white men are being discriminated against in a certain area is worth LESS than a black man's because a black man is discriminated against more in OTHER areas.

That's not using my analogy. But sure, let's run with that. One of those is an across-the-board mistreatment of workers (think coal miners and garment workers in the early 20th century). The other is specific to a single company (or a handful). Guess which one gets correct by law and which one gets corrected by lawsuit?

Two groups protest. One is a group with a large, vast experience of mistreatment. The other is a group with a handful of instance of mistreatment. Which one is systematic and which one is not? Discrimination is systematic. That's what you and so many others seem to miss. It's not tiny little instances that don't affect your life beyond making you feel, temporarily, angry. The moment you walk away from the forum, your troubles end. You aren't being discriminated against. This comic was not, in fact, making fun of all white men.

Unless, of course, you think all white men would have your reaction. And no, they don't. My friend just saw a fraction of this forum and the comic and thought it was hilarious. His words exactly, "Whine some more." But I'm more polite than he is.

To help you understand discrimination better: an employer hates redheads. He won't hire them. Is this discrimination? Sure. Does it compare to discrimination against blondes who get the same reaction from many employers? No. Why? Because it's one employer. Almost every other employer has no problem with redheads. Many even prefer them. Redheads are, in fact, more likely to be employers than blondes or brunettes. But in response to this one employer, a massive protest emerges over discrimination against redheads. Meanwhile, blondes suffer high unemployment and low wages. But these same redheads aren't protesting that, not at all.

So when you and others like you scream about discrimination, it reeks of self-righteous and self-interested diversion. You do not have a moral weight behind you because, frankly, you don't actually care about discrimination. If you did, you wouldn't be protesting this because, even if it were discrimination, you'd recognize how little impact it has in the real world and you'd be going after bigger issues.

How does this relate in any way as to IF white males are discriminated against? Nobody is saying that white men have it worse in other areas.

We aren't talking about other areas. We are talking about in race and gender debates where a while male's opinion is discriminated against.

And you're doing it right now.
Have you been discriminated against, ever? Are you complaining on the internet that people discount your opinion about discrimination (which is discrimination according to you) when you have no experience of actual discrimination? Your opinion doesn't matter as much specifically because the kind of discrimination you talk about isn't discrimination. A comic making fun of a specific kind of person, like you, isn't discrimination. A comic making fun of a woman who complains that men don't pay for dinner anymore and that women aren't treated equally would also not fall under the heading of sexism (unless it was tagged "This is every woman, ever.").

And me, giving your opinion less weight because you haven't given me a single, solitary instance of discrimination (beyond me not valuing your opinion much - which is really a cause/effect issue), is not discrimination. To use my fast food worker analogy, you ain't worked under the conditions so you don't know what you're talking about. Go into the kitchen first, then come back and tell me what it was like. I will give your opinion more weight then.

Meanwhile, I assume a lot, if not most, black people have experienced it. Because I've seen it happen, because I see the results of systematic discrimination, because I've yet to meet any black person in real life who can't think of a dozen instances off the top of their head.