WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO!

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I do not feel bad about skipping pages two through ten; nor for saying I think this strip is quite funny and applaud the creators.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Grey Carter said:
MrGalactus said:
Grey Carter said:
WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO!

*Guitar Solo*

Read Full Article
>Alpha + 'Mirin
>Beta + MLP + Fat + Possible neckbeard
>Omega + Fedora + Reference to "Friend Zone"

Grey Carter confirmed for /b/tard
/fit/izen actually.
/sp/arto-/co/mrade master race reporting

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I'd be willing to bet at least 50% of the posts in this thread are about "oh no, here comes the shitstorm" or something along those lines. Mine included :D

Ironic.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Master of the Skies said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Well it's just lazy to make fun of white people. It's easy because of all the horrible things associated with them, but it's just plain lazy and a real cop-out in terms of writing.
I think it's rather insulting to white people to say they're the target. Those groups being mocked seem to be mostly white people, doesn't mean making fun of those groups is about making fun of white people. White people get mentioned because the sorts being mocked you will often see spouting "White males are the most discriminated against people ever". And I've seen several people speak to that effect with perfect seriousness. And if you question it they scream about how you must think there is never any discrimination against white people or males.
Well the name of the comic is straight-up "White Guy Defense Force", and it specifically has those guys defending "White Heterosexual Males". So... that's where I draw the conclusion that white people are the target, maybe more specifically white heterosexual males who are also running nerd culture, but it still boils down to just another "white people are stupid" joke. Like millions of other white people jokes before it.
Pssssst... he's mocking the defenders.

Did... did you think that the defenders were somehow the good guys? I don't understand.

Are you going to tell me that a comic lampooning the KKK is now mocking all white people? ;__;

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
"An internet cartoonist created a cartoon that was clearly written in order to create controversy and generate traffic and forum posts, thus increasing the number of readers of said comic! Clearly, the most logical action is to angrily complain about the cartoonist doing so on the official forum for the comic. See, Carter? That is what you get for trying to generate traffic!"

Seriously, though, what's the big deal? You can be a white male and /not/ be who the comic is mocking. The punchline isn't, "Haha! They have Y chromosomes and are the descendants of European people. Am I right, guys?"

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Ukomba said:
Tips for getting over 300 comments:
1. Take as many divisive issues as you can.
2. Boil everything down into the most ham fisted straw man possible.
3. Add insult to other large groups where ever possible.
4. Post
5. Act surprised and hurt when called out on what this kind of post is.

It worked for Sarkeesian. Time to throw a kickstarter up for making this a comic series.
We're missing number 5.

I think we're missing chunks of 2 as well, as well a key aspect or two of 3.

Also, they're already getting paid, so the Kickstarter would just be redundant.

Maybe you could try constructing an actual complaint instead of a common stock complaint? It would be much more effective.
Aw man, you're seriously going to make me explain each one? -_- that ruins the joke. Fine

1. Race in video games, Communism accusations, racism, reverse racism, politics, sexism, zimmerman.
2. None of these points are discussed, not even the supposed reason they're there, race in videogames. Instead you rely on giving the causes you're against to a fat looser, a skinny looser, and an obnoxious fratboy. Doesn't matter what the issues are, they're bad because these people like them. Oh and their white power racists. If you agree with them you must be a white power racist. If it's not a straw-man, give a single point they actually make on a subject.
3. Make the fat looser like MLP and Iron man, and give the skinny looser a Boba Fett mask. Make them all like Super Sentai. Nerds are safe to mock.
4. Post it.
5. There's like three hundred comments, man. Give him a chance to read them. ;) (seriously though, calling this post a troll gets you a warning.)

Probably the only thing he missed was to give one of them a crucifix.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Daystar Clarion said:
So why are you still here?

If there's one thing worse than what you accuse this place of being, is sticking around just to tell everyone how mean they are and how they need to take people's feelings into account.
I can only speak for myself but I share his opinion on the forums at the moment. Right now the thing that keeps me coming back is some of the user groups, which have good communities.

From time to time I go back to the forums and usually it doesn't take long for me to regret that. Right now I'm here because I'm fucking hungry and I'm trying to kill time until the gulasch is ready though.
To be honest, I haven't been venturing into the forums either, but that's because nobody can take a fucking joke any more.

User Groups are a god send.
I've noticed this to. When did this site lose its sense of humor, or the ability to detect satire or sarcasm? >.> Would a pegan sacrifice bring it back? I know where goats are, could get one going by early evening.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
As much as this is still an entertaining comic (though strawman'd as fuck even though it doesn't need to do that to win a debate), I don't think it even fits in with the rest of the escapist any more. It would do better on Tumblr than posting something completely non-game related on a gaming site every other strip.

RPGxMadness

Mar 9, 2012
bounty90 said:
The only good this comic did is how 4chan changed it so it's actually funny. which will no doubt be the only reason it's ever going to be remembered. Not only that but as funny as it is this to the average person on the net will look like a politicly correct rip off.
can u link it, I think people needs a good laugh that wasn't provided lol...

:p

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
What is the joke here? is it "hahah white males are assholes"? is it the part where self defense is being equated with murder? Or is the whole point to get people angry to feed Gray's sense of superiority?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Well it's just lazy to make fun of white people. It's easy because of all the horrible things associated with them, but it's just plain lazy and a real cop-out in terms of writing.
I think it's rather insulting to white people to say they're the target. Those groups being mocked seem to be mostly white people, doesn't mean making fun of those groups is about making fun of white people. White people get mentioned because the sorts being mocked you will often see spouting "White males are the most discriminated against people ever". And I've seen several people speak to that effect with perfect seriousness. And if you question it they scream about how you must think there is never any discrimination against white people or males.
Well the name of the comic is straight-up "White Guy Defense Force", and it specifically has those guys defending "White Heterosexual Males". So... that's where I draw the conclusion that white people are the target, maybe more specifically white heterosexual males who are also running nerd culture, but it still boils down to just another "white people are stupid" joke. Like millions of other white people jokes before it.
Pssssst... he's mocking the defenders.

Did... did you think that the defenders were somehow the good guys? I don't understand.

Are you going to tell me that a comic lampooning the KKK is now mocking all white people? ;__;
Oh it had nothing to do with mocking the KKK, otherwise there would have been an overt physical reference in at least one of the characters.

It had all to do with mocking stereotypical white nerds who want everything to cater to their wants and needs and genuinely believe themselves to be discriminated for their race. And here's the thing, while they are deserving of mockery, it's just too easy a target, and at this point it's beating a dead horse. Contributors to the entertainment industry should focus on positive change, not low-brow mockery, because literally EVERYONE can and does do it on a regular basis.

No, I didn't think that the white guy defenders were at all meant to be portrayed as good and I don't know how that conclusion could ever be drawn logically. I just think it's lazy mockery on par with "dumb husband" commercial and Scary Movie levels of low-brow comedy.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Grey Carter said:
/fit/izen actually.
Where are the video games, Grey? You promised video games...

RPGxMadness said:
can u link it, I think people needs a good laugh that wasn't provided lol...
Here is hoping I don't get banned. (I don't remember any rule against posting links of images from 4chan, but still)
http://images.4chan.org/v/src/1379101673395.jpg
http://images.4chan.org/v/src/1379101796013.jpg

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Azaraxzealot said:
It's making fun of the people who go around 'defending' white guys with things like "White males are the most discriminated against group nowadays". Making fun of people who overstate problems for white heterosexual males is not the same as making fun of white heterosexual males. You're completely missing it.
But again it boils down to just making fun of white people. And I'm not saying that people like the ones portrayed in the comic are not deserving of mockery, I'm saying it's lazy to make that joke. I didn't miss it, I was just disappointed that the writer didn't reach for solutions or make any commentary beyond "lol, these guyz are dumb". And I feel that was a waste of time, because everyone already knows and makes fun of these types everywhere, why couldn't the writer have done something better than what everyone else was doing. By all means, keep making fun of stereotypical white guys who think they're discriminated against, but reach a little higher than just vanilla mockery, because everyone already does that, we don't need contributors to greater entertainment to sink to their level, we need them to do better so we can not just shame them, but make them go away and have more rational individuals take over.

So I never "missed" it. I was just disappointed by the generic mockery and not rising above that.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Trilligan said:
Azaraxzealot said:
I think it's more specific than that. It's not just 'white people' after all, it's a very certain mindset in question - the mindset that white people need 'defending'.

There are three highly stereotypical facets of white male internet subcultures on display, but I'm not sure that they are meant to extend to all white people.
Further, there was no one to defend. They came in and jumped in on a conversation they were not invited to specifically because race was mentioned and they need to tell non-white people not to be offended.