Who are your favorite homosexuals in fiction?

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Worgen said:
Well Shore-Leave was already said so Im gonna go with a couple that is more implied than confirmed.

Its more of a fan thing although its as confirmed as is possible for what it is.
For what it's worth, I swear to god I saw a pale yellowish-peach hand and toothpaste-green hand holding the other during the establishing shots of the highschool in Equestria Girls.

(WHICH I was only watching to gauge whether the fuss over it was worth it's weight.

The verdict being the film's... not terrible, but not great.)

---------------------

Anyway. Yeah, Kanji, probably. He'd actually probably be the first I'd think of if asked to a produced a respectable representation of homosexuality in a video game.

He's a great character. I even used him quite a bit in my party.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
Ymir was confirmed to have romantic feelings for Christa (no confirmation for Christa, yet) and, even without that, recent chapters of the manga make it pretty damn clear what her feelings are even without the need of an official word. So, no, it's not that one moment she had with Reiner and the can of fish that convinced people.
Chapter 48 implies Christa feels the same too.

Bara_no_Hime said:
**currently replaying Final Fantasy 7 - has unlocked all current party member limit breaks - not yet to Nibelheim - level 40**
Oh? I'm playing an FF at the moment too. FF9! Coincidence much?

Bara_no_Hime said:
I've only ever heard of the Atelier series via Unskippable. It looked kinda... awful. ^^;; Is it really something I should be seriously checking out?
I used to be skeptical too, then I actually played it and I loved it. It started a bit slow (doesn't every RPG out there?) then you get into the rhythm and it becomes fun.

The characters are very charming, especially the main girls. There're drama moments here and there but mostly just a feel-good story. It's not grindy either, you actually get punished for wasting time. Each battle turn, map movement and even ingredient gathering costs time so you have to manage it well. Totori (the second game) and Meruru (the third game) are not as strict as Rorona (the first game) time-wise however so just play them at your pace.

There're multiple endings (~10 endings) to get, each character has their own ending and bad end, good end, stuffs like that.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Venom from Guilty Gear.

He's just an awesome character who happens to be gay, he's not defined by it or a paradigm of gay people one way or another, it has little to do with his story, it's just one more thing, just like how the straight people's sexiality functions in this game for the most part. (there's May whose never ending love for Johnny consumes her every moment, but that's not really about her sexuality rather than about her emotionality :p)

Here's a showcase of some pretty good play, just to see how cool he actually is:

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
Now that you've mentioned Wallace Wells, I have to say that he was pretty fucking awesome.

The first character that popped into my head when I read the title though, was Lafayette Reynolds, from True Blood.
Oh my gods, that was hilarious. I must second this. All of this.

Flamb3Nobunaga

Mar 4, 2013
Dominique Velox from a book called Gemstone. (Don't expect to find it online, it was a manuscript that never got published that my friend wrote.)

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Makoto form Enchanted Arms. Even though he's only there for the first chapter of the game, he's probably the first RPG character to go full out 100%, full out, this is the stereotype everyone hates. You hate him, but like deadly premonition, it's existence is amazing.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
There have been a few in here already that I liked:

Willow & Tara (especially Tara) for their relationship's actual realism. They weren't constantly making out for lolfanservice and by the time they were kissy I felt that they actually liked each other.

Wallace from Scott Pilgrim for his unabashed gayness and sense of humour. I really liked that he was incredibly openly gay and didn't feel a need to simper for acceptance or thank everyone for being tolerant, he was just a dude here to fuck some dudes.

My favourite homosexual character is one that I'm surprised I liked as much as I did because he's a minor character, he's not one I imagine a lot of people will have read about either but he made a good impression on me. General Ganmark from Best Served Cold is tangential to the story, he's one of seen people the protagonist swears to get revenge on. He's an ex Union officer who was ejected from the military for indiscretions and moved to a more liberal (or less concerned) employer. He's cold, unconcerned with death and lives only to plunder artwork from fallen cities. He's not in any way a sympathetic character.

He is also gay.

I think what I like most about him is that the protagonist insults his sexuality pretty much every time she sees him but he just doesn't care. Upon being told to 'get fucked in the arse' he remarks that that sounds like a very enjoyable way to unwind after killing her. Ganmark gives exactly zero fucks about insults because he's got nothing to lose, everyone knows he's gay and his employer doesn't care in the slightest. Calling Ganmark a ****** isn't going to bother him, he's not going to start blubbing[footnote]Like Hermione in the films where she somehow knows what mudblood means but Ron doesn't[/footnote] because he doesn't need or care about your approval.

I like that a gay character can be a complete irredeemable asshole and still be gay without needing to be labelled as a victim, I also like that he doesn't let his sexuality drive him as a character and I like that the supposed hero can tell insults like that and have them dismissed as childish taunts.

EDIT: Ganmark did in fact wrong Monza, she was pretty mad about it so I can't imagine how I forgot it.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Does Kanji count?
From the game and the anime series, it made it look like he was not homosexual, but took shame in enjoying thing that were not associated with his genre, hence the overcompensation. He even had a crush on a woman (Naoto), after it was discovered she was a girl.

I had to count the only other example I can think on games:

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
The main character from P4. You can show no interest in any female romantic interests, and try to make out with Teddie in the remake. Crowning moment of funny. (and consensually this time). As much as I like Kanji, his sexuality is left very, very ambiguos. So, he's attracted to both males and females. But then just females. And then Arena he admits to both. It's not confusing, just hard to say.

But because that's a player choice, based on how camp and socially awkward they want their main character to be.

Otherwise, I'd pick Thomas MacLaine from Deadly Premonition. What other game do you have a boss fight with a middle-aged guy in his sister's dress dancing very gracefully on a clock-tower's cogs, and in heals, with his sister's singing playing on a record somewhere, while he is also being sexually abused by his boss, whom he also has extreme sexual tensions for.

Persona 2, I think. Except Haanya wasn't wearing a dress. Or the other stuff. And while also talking about Persona 2, Jun Kashihara also springs to mind, and would have to tie with Thomas. In Lisa's own words, he looks better with make-up on than her.

And, although she's bisexual, but Willow from Buffy is on here, so.. yeah, Merril from Dragon Age 2. She's so cute.

And Tony from Earthbound. He's willing to accept all of Jeff's faults and consider him a good friend. It just sucks that Jeff isn't realising any of the stuff that Tony says, nor his constant worrying of his safety.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
I'm guessing Christopher Isherwood from Christopher and his Kind doesn't count given that he's, well, based on the real life Christopher Isherwood. Not counting him is also sad because gay Matt Smith is one of the best things that ever happened to television. /fanboy

George Falconer from A Single Man is probably my favourite in visual fiction, given that that film and Colin Firth's acting has made it one of the very few films to actually reduce me to tears. But including literature, Aech from Ready Player One is also one of my favourites due to the assumptions made about them throughout the book.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
hermes200 said:
Does Kanji count?
From the game and the anime series, it made it look like he was not homosexual, but took shame in enjoying thing that were not associated with his genre, hence the overcompensation. He even had a crush on a woman (Naoto), after it was discovered she was a girl.
[/img]
Actually, Kanji had a crush on Naoto BEFORE he knew she was a girl. This is pretty clear within the game itself, but it's also double-confirmed in Persona 4 Arena, where at one point Kanji directly states that he was interested in Naoto before he knew she was a girl.

And again, Kanji's sexual orientation is kinda intentionally left ambiguous. Draw your own conclusions and whatnot.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
I guess I'd go with Midnighter:

The Wildstorm-era/Authority version though, not the current DCU StormWatch one (which is horrible, although apparently they finally got rid of the horrible new costume at least).

xochiquetzal

Oct 7, 2010
does Cammy from street fighter Count?
if so...

1 Revolver Ocelot. to be fair almost everyone would be gay for Big boss :)
2 Sailor Uranus from sailor moon. oh she is so pretty
3 Cammy. dat personality!
4 Kanji. of course
5 Omar from the wire

runner up Lafayette! everyone's favorite black, gay, cross dressing, drug dealing, sex worker, master chef. :)

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
There's homosexuals in fiction? Haha, no. I'm just kidding(and making note of how small it still is)

To be honest, I've never really watched anything with romance in it outside of Scott Pilgrim, and the generic romance they toss in movies.

So, I guess Wallace by default.

If Abridged series count:

Marik, because he is funny, binky boy.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Kitsune Hunter said:
I would pick Wallace from Scott Pilgrim, I love that guy, but I would say Lafayette from True Blood would be my main choice, the guy doesn't give or take any shit about what others think about him, just take this scene for example

That was the most epic thing of all the epic things.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
I read a couple pages into this thread and didn't see this listed: Willem Dafoe's Agent Smecker from Boondock Saints. He's an older gay man who's long ago figured out who he is and is comfortable with it, but he's been at it so long and he's tired by the foppishness of young gay culture. It's a fascinating look at being a single older gay guy that we don't get to see often.

Also, as an FBI special agent he's really fantastic at his job and every scene where we get to watch him work a crime scene is goddamned amazing.