Who has a brag worthy machine?

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Saulkar said:
RAM: 64GB G-Skill 1600 @ 1.65 volts (think that is the right voltage I have it at to compensate for two separate kits)
Damn dude, I thought I was sitting pretty at 32g 1600 DDR3 Corsair. (Not to mention my jealousy at your render farm)
Saulkar said:
Dat is it, dat is all. Now if you excuse me, I have to composite an animation that still took 27 freaking hours to render. GRRR!
My record to date was 72hrs. Of course I realized only after the fact something went horribly wrong and my computer was only registering 12g of RAM total. -.- Was not amused.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Fayathon said:
SkarKrow said:
*snippage*
If you're going to be gaming on it I'd drop Win8 to Win7. The time I spent on Win8 was enough to make me want to rip my hair out.
Read around about it and it makes very little difference to gaming, gains a few frames in some games I like, though some driver issues were about when I did my research. I don't have a windows 7 64 bit copy anywhere and windows 8 is a lot cheaper.

Also gonna be doing other things too, which is why I went for the FX over the i5. i5 is better for filters in game, FX is better when compressing data and video editing and such.
Quick search on newegg has Win7 Home Premium and Win8 Full at the same price, just saiyan. Of course I really don't like Metro or the general interface of Win8, so take my opinion for what it is.

ThatRandomGuy42 said:
HOW THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE AFFORDING THESE RIGS?!
Dude, my comp was $700 two and a half years ago, I did some parts searching for my cousin for a comp for him, I ran a little over that after shipping and tax, building a computer is cheap as hell if you've got half an idea as to what you're doing.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Fayathon said:
SkarKrow said:
Fayathon said:
SkarKrow said:
*snippage*
If you're going to be gaming on it I'd drop Win8 to Win7. The time I spent on Win8 was enough to make me want to rip my hair out.
Read around about it and it makes very little difference to gaming, gains a few frames in some games I like, though some driver issues were about when I did my research. I don't have a windows 7 64 bit copy anywhere and windows 8 is a lot cheaper.

Also gonna be doing other things too, which is why I went for the FX over the i5. i5 is better for filters in game, FX is better when compressing data and video editing and such.
Quick search on newegg has Win7 Home Premium and Win8 Full at the same price, just saiyan. Of course I really don't like Metro or the general interface of Win8, so take my opinion for what it is.
Yeah in the US. In the UK Windows 8 Pro can be had for £30 (around $45-$50 or so I think) less than the most basic of windows 7 packages. I can get past Modern UI /Metro because honestly every program I use can be anchored to the taskbar and thus circumvent the need to use the MUI interface, which itself isn't bad so much as it is unecessary for a desktop.

I can see why windows 8 can be off putting, but lacking a copy of 7 as I do it makes no sense to opt for a more expensive OS to me for very little difference in my day to day usage.

Whole thing will be costing around £600 from scratch including the case (some fractal thing, tis purty and i cant remember the model name).

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Fair enough, like I said, personal bias was bleeding through. I don't have a spare on Win7 either, my only copy is on my desktop. I bought a new laptop recently with Win8, partially due to the need for a new laptop, partially due to interest in what 8 did differently. I fairly promptly installed Ubuntu over 8.

Damn shame newegg doesn't play well internationally though.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my current case, it's no longer produced and has blue dragons on it. Dragons are cool.

Disturbed-Hell

Shas'la
Mar 18, 2010
CPU: Intel i5 750
GPU: Asus EAH5770
RAM: 12gb DDR3
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D
HDD: 500gb internal, 320gb, 250gb, 2tb external
Screen: Samsung Syncmaster 943 19"
Keyboard: E-Blue Scort
Mouse: E-Blue Lightning Ash
Speakers: no idea. Something from Pleomax?

Nothing much to brag about but it can still play just about anything I throw at it. That said, I really need a new GPU.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i dont know if i would brag about my pc but its decent enough. i can play modern games on high or ultra settings and thats good enough for me

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 960T Processor, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 Ti
RAM: 8 gigs
Sound: Asus Xonar DG

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Fayathon said:
SkarKrow said:
Fair enough, like I said, personal bias was bleeding through. I don't have a spare on Win7 either, my only copy is on my desktop. I bought a new laptop recently with Win8, partially due to the need for a new laptop, partially due to interest in what 8 did differently. I fairly promptly installed Ubuntu over 8.

Damn shame newegg doesn't play well internationally though.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my current case, it's no longer produced and has blue dragons on it. Dragons are cool.
My current copy is 32 bit so it's not really a good idea to use it since it doesn't work too well with anything over 4GB of RAM. I'll adjust to that hateful UI in time, like all nerds I'm slow to adapt to change.

It's a shame tech costs more here in general, partially due to taxes and partially due to arbritrary price hikes. It's especially painfully on higher end components thanks to VAT. 7800 GPU's are pretty cheap here though, especially the newer tahiti based variants, £180 for something that rivals a 7950 isn't bad at all.

And this is the case I'm gonna be using: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/fractal-design-core-3000-black-mid-tower-performance-case-inc-3-x-fans-w-o-psu

Great airflow and I like the white touches, not so good for cable management but nothing that can't be solved with cable ties.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
OK, I'll post my specs.

Colour: black.
Height: about the same as my shin bone.
Sound: a faint whirring that gets louder in direct proportion to the number of Skyrim mods installed.
Cooling system: a big hole where the side of the casing should be.
Cleaning system: the hoover.

Nuvo

Feb 13, 2012
CPU: Intel Core i5 2300 2.8Ghz quad core
RAM: 6gb Samsung DDR3
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Ghz Edition 1gb
Storage: 1x 60gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD, 1x 1tb WD slow assed HDD, 1x 16gb SD card that I've not found any real use for since selling my Wii, so I use it as a test drive for Linux (boot from SD)
Screen: 32" Samsung HDTV @ 1080P
Keyboard: Generic wireless keyboard (doesn't even have a light to tell you the caps lock is on o_O)
Mouse: Generic wireless optical mouse (uses the same dongle as the keyboard)
Headphones/Speakers: TV via HDMI

Not a beast of a system but it runs pretty much anything I've tried on it.
It'll run the new Tomb Raider with pretty much everything turned on if I don't use the ultra shadow setting, but TressFX lags a bit when the camera is close to Lara's head (zoomed out or when she's off screen is fine).
I can run Bioshock Infinite on high with no real issues.

I'll probably going to bung some more RAM in it soon and I'm thinking of putting a better GPU in when I can afford it (I would consider crossfiring, but my board only has room for one full sized PciE card).

Jun 13, 2011
CPU: 3.2Ghz, methinks.
RAM: 4GB
GPU: Mobile ATI Radeon 4200
Screen: Standard laptop
Keyboard: Standard laptop
Mouse: Logitech M510
Headphones/Speakers: Sony MDR-ZX100

Too bad I have no hard drive for it. I miss my laptop. Hard drive died a week or so ago. It sucks.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
CPU: Pentium Dual Core G630
Ram: 8gb ddr3
GPU: AMD Radeon 7750 1gb gddr5
k/m: nothing special.
Monitor : HP 17" 1440*900
built it last year. was considering whether to gp with APU setup with dual graphics or this but decided on this as APU dont give great gaming performance at high settings.
this one is a very entry level pc yet plays all my games on high settings easily .

null_pointer

Mar 14, 2013
First of all, let me specify that I built a programming workstation that can handle gaming, not a "gaming rig". That being said:

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate-N (The "N" is for "No Bullshit")
CPU: AMD FX-8350 "Vishera" 4.0Ghz Octo-core
RAM: 16GB (4x 4Gb) 1333 DDR3 (Corsair)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (2Gb GDDR5)
Mobo: Not sure of the model, but its an Asus with a 970 chipset and an am3+ socket
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Recon3D F4Tal1ty edition
SSD: Intel 60Gb MLC (For my OS and IDE's)
HDD: Hitachi 1Tb
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse III
Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Gaming Keypad: Razer Nostromo
Monitors: A 24" Acer, a 21.5" Hanns-G and another 21.5" AOC lcd
Case: NZXT Phantom (White with Red accents)

Being an AMD machine, it's going to have problems running certain games, but since I use my computer for work, school, gaming, and programming (and in many cases, all at the same time); the 8 core makes sense. This can run most relatively recent games that I've played (ex. Hitman: Absolution, FarCry 3) at Ultra @ ~30-40 FPS.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
DevilWithaHalo said:
Saulkar said:
RAM: 64GB G-Skill 1600 @ 1.65 volts (think that is the right voltage I have it at to compensate for two separate kits)
Damn dude, I thought I was sitting pretty at 32g 1600 DDR3 Corsair. (Not to mention my jealousy at your render farm)
Hehe, well I need it since I moved onto professional-entry-level 3D rendering and abuse the hell out of simulations that would otherwise be bogged down by the slow speed of a scratch-disk. Photoshop loves it as well. Besides... I had only 64 megs of ram to work with the first family computer...

DevilWithaHalo said:
Saulkar said:
Dat is it, dat is all. Now if you excuse me, I have to composite an animation that still took 27 freaking hours to render. GRRR!
My record to date was 72hrs. Of course I realized only after the fact something went horribly wrong and my computer was only registering 12g of RAM total. -.- Was not amused.
This happened to me after I had purchased a copy of Windows 7 Professional that actually had a Windows 7 Home Premium disk in it instead and did not notice until after I installed it when only 16 of my then 32 GB of ram was available for use. Instead of replacing it, Staples just gave me a free code to upgrade it to Professional to save on hassle.

As for render times I once tried to render out a single cinematic quality frame in an animation I was making back in 07 on a Dual Core 3.2GHZ with 2GB of ram. The first frame took 29 hours to render . ^^;

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Gallery + full specs: http://imgur.com/a/9WAPN

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.5ghz - cooled by Corsair H100 (SP120 x 2 in push)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz 1.5v CL9 (Mushkin Blackline)
GPU: GTX660 Ti @ 1189/3456mhz
SSD: Samsung 830 128gb + Intel 320 160GB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB + WD Green 2TB
Case: CM Storm Sniper (Windowed) + NZXT lighting kit

Monitor: Asus VG236H 120hz 23"
Keyboard: Corsair K90
Mouse: Logitech G400
Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Fragged Speed Ed.
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX
Headphones/Speakers: Sennheiser HD558 / Corsair SP2500
Gamepad: Logitech F310

GPU is hardly brag-worthy but I am patiently waiting for GTX780 (because Titan can go fuck itself with that price/performance ratio).

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
The rig I built back in 2011:

CPU: Phenom II x4 965, overclocked to 4 GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3-1333
GPU: GeForce GTX 465 OC'd to 750/1500/1700
Screen: 1280x1024 Dell LCD
Mouse: Logitech G500

Not much to write home about any more, but it cost me less than $600 all told, and the low resolution means I can run just about any game with all the eye candy maxed out.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
My bragging rights come not so much from the raw power, although the rig is more than able to hold it's own, it comes from the watercooling and mods I've done to get it looking just the way I want it. This is a quick post assembly tour testing both the lights and the new fan controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP5N2w4YYHc&feature=youtu.be

The Spec

CPU: Core I5 750 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus Formula 3
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 670GTX
Ram: 8Gb Crucial Ballistix
PSU: Corsair AX650
HD 1: 120Gb OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
HD2: 2 x Samsung F3 1Tb in Raid 0 (2TB capacity)

The Watercooling

CPU: EK-Supreme LTX - Acetal+EN
Motherboard: EK-FB ASUS Maximus III Formula - Acetal+Nickel
GPU: Aqua Computer AquagraFX - GTX 680 Water Block (Some 670GTXs used reference 680GTX boards.)
GPU Backplate: EK Water Blocks EK-FC680 GTX Backplate - Black CSQ
Res and Pump: XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5
Fittings: Full Monsoon compression fittings
Top Rad: XSPC EX360 120mm Radiator - Black (6 x Yate Loon in Push / Pull config)
Bottom: XSPC EX240 Slim Line Dual Fan Radiator (4 x Corsair SP120 in Push / Pull config)
In and Out take Fans: 3 x Corsair AF140
Fancontroller: Revo 6 eyes

The Pretty Stuff

Case: NZXT Switch
Lighting: 3 x Phoyba High density 30cm RGB LED strip + Phoyba IR remote control
Water: Monsoon 45degree compression fitting with red accent light
PSU cables: Red and black self braided

The system started life around 4 years ago and has been upgraded and added to slowly but surely over the years.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Look at all of you with your £500+ machines, mine is cheap as chips and it gets the mother fucking job done.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE 3.2Ghz
GPU: ATI Radeon 5750 1GB
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 500GB

It's fairly competent can run a lot of the new games on high. I'm taking this PC to me with the grave, fuck upgrades. It'll still be sea worthy in a thousand years when we're gaming with holograms and shit.

Captcha: big kahuna burger
I'd prefer a Royale with cheese

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
-Sub-fifty dollar case. It's small, it's flimsy, its fans don't impress me.
--Who-on-Earth-is-that?! power supply. Feeding the "beast" with five hundred watts, and fitty cents change.
---More RAM than you can shake a RAM stick at.
----A graphics solution, with which I start a revolution (in a game). Not 1, but 2 GB of O.G. DeeDee Yar Five RAM... BAM!
---A GPU ain't nothing without a CPU. All hail the phenomenon that is the Phenom. Not the first, but the reigning succesor, the king. 970 model! 3.5 Gigga-whats-it's! 4 cores to do all your chores! Bow down to the Black (edition) King!
--When you're taking a nap while you load up, my SSD and me are already watching TV (on Netflix).
-My system got wisdom. It holds the secrets of the forgotten discs. Its writing at 32x 1.385MB makes me wonder if your drive is even alive.

AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE @ 3.5GHz
8GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 RAM @ 833MHz
XFX Double D ATI 6950 2GB
ePower (lol) 550w PSU
DVD-RW LG Superdrive for playing "artifacts of a bygone age."
RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WU
128GB Crucial M4 SSD
1TB Western Digital HDD
500GB Western Digital HDD
Logitech G500 Mouse
Cheap Logitech keyboard

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
GHETTO PC REPRAZENT

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6850 @ 3Ghz
MOBO: XFX nForce 680i LT LGA775
RAM: 4Gb OCZ DDR2 (used to be 8Gb but half of it died)
GPU: Asus AMD Radeon HD 6770 1Tb
PSU: Jeantech 650W
Screen: Dell U2412M 24" 1920x1200*
Keyboard: Logitech Media 600*
Mouse: Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500*
Headphones/Speakers: Sennheiser HD 205* / Creative Inspire 5100#
Storage: 128Gb Crucial M4 SSD* / Western Digital 1Tb HDD

*: stuff decent enough to carry over to a (hopefully imminent, if I get this new job) new machine, which'll likely be built around an i5-3570K
#: stuff so old that it came from the PC before last, but is still holding up

Very crummy, but still runs everything I need it to (the SSD made a huge difference).

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Well, I think I have a brag-worthy machine. At least it cost me. Bought this mainly for music production, but since I'm a gamer as well it works out pretty well for me.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3,60 GHz.
RAM: 8GB 2100 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX-670
Storage: 90GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD + 1,5TB WD Black
Screen: LG 22'' (nothing special)
Keyboard: Basic MS keyboard.
Mouse: Logitech G5 (my all-time favourite).
Headphones/Speakers: Sennheiser HD 280 (for music production [https://soundcloud.com/lifeworks])