Who is gaming's greatest Silent Protagonist?

MaskedMori

Aug 17, 2009
Since every silent protagonist has to be indirectly characterized, I'd say most of them are poor characters. If I had to choose one though, I'd say Gordon Freeman

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Felix from Golden Sun: The Lost Age wins in my book because while Dr. Freeman has never spoken a word ever, Felix talked up a storm in Golden Sun and then shut the hell up in Golden Sun 2. That is dedication right there, friends.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
will1182 said:
I'm going to be unoriginal and say it's a tie between Link and Gordon Freeman.

I would say Samus, but they're gonna make her talk in the next one. WHYYYY?!?!?
Well, that sucks. Although, to be honest, she talks in the GBA ones, it just isn't voice-acted.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
Does Master Chief count? He has probably 10 lines of dialog in any given Halo game. I'm going with Master Chief no matter what, because he's Master Chief.

Master Chief.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
The Doom Guy kicks all kinds of ass.

He's the only one still alive in an invasion from hell on Mars and he decides that intead of running, he'll stand and fight the hordes of hell.

And he has the balls to use a brass-knuckle on zombies.

Kingdudeacus

Sep 22, 2009
ohgodalex said:
Does Master Chief count? He has probably 10 lines of dialog in any given Halo game. I'm going with Master Chief no matter what, because he's Master Chief.

Master Chief.
Wow a true fan-boy.Link wins this competion hands down.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
ohgodalex said:

Master Chief.
Say Master Chief really fast multiple times. Starts sounding like a name for some Chinese dish or something. XD

OT: I don't know if I can really count Mario... I mean he says things like "woohoo" and "it'sa me" and such, but he doesn't really have any true sentence based dialogue, so... I dunno. He's a gaming icon anyway, no gamer is unaware of Mario's existence.

I guess I'd better make another choice, tough choice really. I have to choose Gordon Freeman. The guys fucks up and almost causes the end of the world, has to go around salvaging whatever weapon he can, and take on military troops despite being an untrained scientist, and do all this to sort his fuck up, now to me that's good storytelling, and well the HEV suit is awesome.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
ohgodalex said:

Master Chief.
Master chief HAS dialogue. That disqualifies him. If he didnt have anything to say, i would go with him.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
The Doom Guy kicks all kinds of ass.

He's the only one still alive in an invasion from hell on Mars and he decides that intead of running, he'll stand and fight the hordes of hell.

And he has the balls to use a brass-knuckle on zombies.
Hell f'ing yes!!! I choose this guy's answer actually. XD

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
lord canti said:
what about Jak from the first Jak and Daxter.
Well, the character developed into speaking. Not to mention, he would grunt when hit like link would.

The truly silent protagonists of the game industry are Doomguy and Gordon Freeman. While Doomguy is the fastest running hero, Gordon Freeman still wins for pure awesomeness/being a physicist in my book.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Link. I don't really see how Gordon Freeman would be a good choice. You don't see his face aside from the box art. You don't hear any reactions from him. He's pretty much the most uncharacterized character in his own game. Link at least has some facial expressions...
Overall though, it's a matter of taste I guess. I didn't care for Half-life 2, but I've loved every Zelda game I've played (except Wind Waker). And silent protagonists are kind of irritating (Gordon Freeman isn't the only bland character because of this; all silent protagonists are kind of uncharacterized).

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
Kingdudeacus said:
ohgodalex said:

Master Chief.
Wow a true fan-boy.Link wins this competion hands down.
Even if you hadn't flamed me for no reason, I'd disagree with you. Anyone can save the world when they're damn well fated to. Link is born with the Triforce of Courage so he can kill Gannon. Guy from prophecy fulfills prophecy? Not shocking at all.