Who is the best fictional swordsman of all time?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Goemon from Lupin III? Every time he quickdraws his sword, something splits in half, no matter what it is. I recall he once expressed his anger by quickdrawing his blade while a shooting star flew by in the sky. The star then split in half, because anime.

Does it count when it's a comedy gimmick?

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
Raesvelg said:
dragonswarrior said:
Shit, I know it's kinda obscure but over three pages of thread and no one names Brys Beddict, youngest of the Beddict brothers yet? I am dissapoint.

Also, this thread is over. Brys kicks all'y'all asses.

He is a completely ordinary human, no magic, no extra species abilities, nothing. He wields an ordinary longsword. But he is so skilled he's able to go toe to toe with minor gods. At the end of the book he single handidly defeats an opponent who is A. one of the greatest swordspeople in the world at that point and B. literally cannot be killed. Brys does this by slicing every one of his opponents major tendons in the battle. And he does it so fast that no one else in the room was able to do shit about it, not Brys' allies or the other guys. *will never be able to porperly convey how badass that moment was to anyone who hasn't read MBotF*
Psh. I'll see your Brys Beddict and raise you a Dassem Ultor.

You know, the guy who was First Sword of the Malazan Empire, and ultimately becomes the First of the Seguleh?
Yaaaaay, more Malazan fans! I'd like to throw Iron Bars and Blues of the Crimson Guard into the ring. True, being Avowed, they do have a certain magic and enhanced endurance to assist them, but even without those, they're superb swordsmen. I don't think they're actually better than Dassem or Brys, but they're definitely noteworthy.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Breakdown said:
Ned Stark. He beat Ser Arthur Dayne. He maybe had some help though.
He himself said he would have died if not for Howland Reed. The fight was 6 vs. 3 in favour of Ned. Only Ned and Howland survived. Ned may be one of the most honourable and beloved characters, but he is certainly nowhere near the best swordsman. It's hard to say who the best from that series would be. To give you an idea though, Ser Barristan himself (probably one of the best) says that there is no such thing as a knight without peer. There are many greats in ASOIAF, but I wouldn't count Ned among them even though he's one of my favourite characters.

OT: I'm inclined to agree with the OP. Guts takes on a hundred men by himself and he still wins. Against any other mortal being, he seems pretty much unstoppable. Then again, they throw in that whole destiny thing and demon mumbo jumbo so I don't know if he really counts. I haven't read the mange so I really don't know.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
jhoroz said:
Here's a better picture:

snipped

The fact he handles this monstrosity with only one hand puts him ahead of most examples in this thread for me.
That's not a sword, it's a surfboard tied to a stick.

Anyway, it's kind of a hard question because any writer can just say, 'in universe this is the best swordsman of all time' and you're done. So er. Fuck it, Aragorn. We all like Aragorn.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Guys. He said "peak-human". So all the anime characters go out of the window, because even though they don't use magic they're inhumanly powerful. Zoro, Guts, Madara etc. They're all non-human in terms of powerlevels.
If you count those, it becomes a "Whos the best comic/anime swordsman" because humans can never compete with Superman-esque characters.

I can only second many that were already mentioned: Zorro, Montoya, Samurai Jack
Ontop of that probably every 2nd japanese/chinese fighting movie protagonist. They all fight ridiculously good.

If "the force" doesn't count then i'd say the Jedis will beat most fighters, just because they basically can't lose as long as their force is big enough. So the whole Skywalker bunch comes to mind.

llyrnion

Feb 16, 2011
jurnag12 said:
al'Lan Mandrogoran from the Wheel of Time. A swordsman so good that he takes on a bloke who had hundreds of years of practice himself along with being in the top 5 of most powerful magic-users on the planet.

And win.
Although my vote would also go for Lan (his ride for Demandred with the help from the Two Rivers archers and the duel are among the best I've ever read), I don't agree he won. He said it himself: "I did not come here to win, I came here to kill you". And if he didn't Sheathe the Sword, he would have actually lost.

Still, like I said, Lan gets my vote.

OintmentFly

Sep 16, 2010
Shimada Toranosuke (Mifune Toshiro's character) from Sword of Doom, a great samurai film from Okomoto Kihachi in 1966. It also stars Takadai Tatsuya and has some of the coolest cinematographic sequences from the eye of Murai Hiroshi. Seriously, check this one out folks, it's great.

Nicha11

Apr 17, 2009
I think he's already been mentioned before in this thread but once again: Decado "The Ice Killer" of David Gemmell fame.
Well known as the most badass swordsman in an elite organization packed full of badasses he retired to a monastery to
spend the rest of his life in peace (after realizing he had become a monster due to his intention to seek out and kill his friend
because it would be one of the few tests left for him).

Long story short he's pulled out of retirement and ends up fighting the leader of an evil brotherhood of knights who A) can use magic to put the fear of death into people's minds and B) can read your mind while he fights so he knows what you're going to do.
Of course Decado doesn't fear death at all so that doesn't work and is so fast that the knight's mind reading doesn't help at all so he sees the blow that kills him 0.25 seconds before it does. He's one of the top 5 or so Gemmell characters in terms of power, and the strongest swordsman.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
someonehairy-ish said:
jhoroz said:
Here's a better picture:

snipped

The fact he handles this monstrosity with only one hand puts him ahead of most examples in this thread for me.
That's not a sword, it's a surfboard tied to a stick.
I know your post is being moronically facetious, but it actually is:

http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonslayer

I never claimed Berserk portrayed swordsmanship in a realistic and practical way, but when the criteria is no magic (which plenty of people have gone and ingored anyway) I see no reason why this can't be considered as a serious candidate.

Also Guts would destroy Aragorn in a heart beat.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
This is a really hard question because there's so many out there and for any reasons, do you go by skill, accomplishments, philosophy strength, sword?
I mean you could go for Kenshin, Guts Zorro (one piece and espanic), Samurai Jack, Jubei, Link, Ike, Ichigo, King Aurther and on and on and on.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
RedDeadFred said:
Breakdown said:
He himself said he would have died if not for Howland Reed. The fight was 6 vs. 3 in favour of Ned. Only Ned and Howland survived. Ned may be one of the most honourable and beloved characters, but he is certainly nowhere near the best swordsman. It's hard to say who the best from that series would be. To give you an idea though, Ser Barristan himself (probably one of the best) says that there is no such thing as a knight without peer. There are many greats in ASOIAF, but I wouldn't count Ned among them even though he's one of my favourite characters.
You'd have to be pretty skillful to be one of the only two survivors of that fight though, and Ned wasn't the sort of guy who'd hang around at the back and let his men do all the fighting.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Breakdown said:
RedDeadFred said:
Breakdown said:
You'd have to be pretty skillful to be one of the only two survivors of that fight though, and Ned wasn't the sort of guy who'd hang around at the back and let his men do all the fighting.
Oh absolutely. I'm not saying that Ned isn't skilled, I just don't think he's among the greats of the series: The Cleganes, Jaime, Barristan, Arthur, Brienne, Robert Baratheon, Khal Drogo, Knight of Flowers, The Viper, some of the more talented Wildlings, Victarion, probably a bunch of others. Granted not all of those people are swordsmen, but you get my point. Ned was great for other reasons while still being an accomplished fighter.

Edit: then again, he did seem to be doing fairly well in his short bout against Jaime. Maybe he's better than he lets on. Still, I don't think Jaime intended to kill him in that fight. If he did, he probably would have.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Breakdown said:
RedDeadFred said:
Breakdown said:
Yeah, it's pretty much stated straight-up that Ned's not even in the running for best swordsmen in A Song Of Ice and Fire. His brother Brandon was supposedly much better, and in their younger days both Robert Baratheon and Rhaegar Targaryen could beat both of them. With that in mind, my personal pick for best fighter in ASOIF is Sandor Clegane. Jaime Lannister himself says that at his peak he would have considered the Hound a match for him, and Sandor is one of two people who manage to go toe-to-toe with his brother and have it be an even fight.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Is Jamie Lannister that good though? He think's he's great, but the other characters don't seem that impressed with him. He spent most of his life as a glorified guard. And Sandor Clegane struggled to beat 2 of his brother's soldiers.

On reflection, I'd probably say Barristan Selmy was the best swordsman in terms of sheer skill, with Robert Baratheon (in his prime) as the best overall warrior.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Gorfias said:
This doesn't seem a bad choice:

Galahad. I actually had to look him up when he beat evil Lancelot in "The Librarians". Actually, in the original Arthurian tales, Lancelot was kind of a tool. Galahad was cool. He is thought to be a gift to humanity as the greatest knight, but his real claim to fame seems not to be his skill with a sword but his purity, leading him to find the holy grail.

You could do this whole thread with a different question that would be very, very hard to answer: who is the greatest swordsman of Game of Thrones, taking into account their best years may NOT coincide with their nearest competition.

Not sure how I'd answer. Jamie Lannister, with his hand gets a big vote. But he sees in the Knight of Flowers, himself in his youth.

Fox12 said:
King arthur?
Arthur was supposed to be very, very good but due to the power of Excalibur. There have been many versions of the tales and typically, Lancelot was better. After some searching after seeing that episode of "the Librarians", arguably, the legend has it that Lancelot's son Galahad was even better. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galahad
Was Galahad better then Lancelot? I didn't know that. He's certainly more likable, no one cares for Lancelot. At best he's portrayed as a tragic hero who redeems himself, and at his worst he's basically a raging douche bag that steals his best friends wife.

As for Game of Thrones, yeah, I don't know. The problem with Game of Thrones is that Martin never focuses on action, instead worrying about characterization and politics. This isn't bad, in fact it's one of the things I like about him. In a vs thread, though, it's somewhat of a mute point, since we never see what these people can do. Everyone makes a big deal out of Jaime, for instance, but for the most part we're just told how great he is, we never get to really see him do anything impressive. Now we never will. I've heard people say he could take Aragorn, for instance, but we haven't seen anything that would even suggest that. In universe, I'd say Khal Drogo. I'm pretty sure he could take Jaime at his best. Alternatively, Barristan could possibly win in his prime, but, again, we never get to really see that.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Another vote for Guts I think. It's juts the raw power behind him.

Breakdown said:
Is Jamie Lannister that good though? He think's he's great, but the other characters don't seem that impressed with him. He spent most of his life as a glorified guard. And Sandor Clegane struggled to beat 2 of his brother's soldiers.

On reflection, I'd probably say Barristan Selmy was the best swordsman in terms of sheer skill, with Robert Baratheon (in his prime) as the best overall warrior.
Yeah, Jaime is a pretty impressive fighter. When Brienne has him clapped in irons and they have their little bout, he still manages to do pretty well against Brienne and this is after being locked up and starved by the Starks, as well as being a little out of practice. Jaime is Barristan in his prime.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Fox12 said:
Was Galahad better then Lancelot? I didn't know that. He's certainly more likable, no one cares for Lancelot. At best he's portrayed as a tragic hero who redeems himself, and at his worst he's basically a raging douche bag that steals his best friends wife.
I loved the movie "Excalibur" that treats him as torn. In the original, he was sort of a vehicle for male fantasies, schtupping the boss's lady. Appears it was OK to schtupp the queen, just be discreet: Arthur is supposed to be older than either Lancelot or Guenevere. In the movie, Lancelot can barely bring himself to beat up Liam Neeson. In the book? Both lovers happily kill the accuser (who is telling the truth!)

But if real power comes from purity of spirit, Lancelot is a tool. Galahad a gift to the world, the best Knight who finds the grail and is given the gift of choosing his own time to die and ascend to Heaven (In the story, pretty immediately, but might explain why he is old and alive in The Librarians: didn't make the same choice in that continuity).
As for Game of Thrones, yeah, I don't know. The problem with Game of Thrones is that Martin never focuses on action, instead worrying about characterization and politics. This isn't bad, in fact it's one of the things I like about him. In a vs thread, though, it's somewhat of a mute point, since we never see what these people can do. Everyone makes a big deal out of Jaime, for instance, but for the most part we're just told how great he is, we never get to really see him do anything impressive. Now we never will. I've heard people say he could take Aragorn, for instance, but we haven't seen anything that would even suggest that. In universe, I'd say Khal Drogo. I'm pretty sure he could take Jaime at his best. Alternatively, Barristan could possibly win in his prime, but, again, we never get to really see that.
At their prime? Robert Baratheon is supposed to have been a monstrous warrior. Barristan is an interesting character. Rather than naturally powerful, through will he acquired the skills to become the most respected Knight in Westeros. Khal Drogo? That's a good one! Almost like there could be great face-offs. I'd certainly like to have seen him fight Daario Naharis. Barristan vs. Syrio Forel etc.