Who is the most powerful soldier in gaming?

Zipzip the Penguin

Feb 14, 2013
Consider the weaponry, physical and mental abilities, strength and utility items of the soldier. Personally, I pick Doomguy. He's fast enough to outrun his own rockets, strong enough to punch his way through his enemies, and of course, he has the BFG.

EDIT:
For the purposes at hand, a soldier can be defined as a being who has at some point served in or for an organized military force. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just curious as to what a lot of Escapists think.

Yuugasa

Feb 8, 2013
James Heller from Prototype 2 is technically a soldier, he's the strongest I can think of off the top of my head, what with punching tanks to death and all.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
You may want to specify what you mean by "soldier", since that's a pretty broad category. Are we including supernatural/fantasy elements here? Mutant powers? Or are we just talking about soldier-styled characters who primarily use weaponry and equipment?

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Well, considering the defense of the silent protagonist is that you make yourself the protagonist...

I am the most powerful soldier. I have jumped across multiple dimensions, killed millions of useless enemies ranging from the weakest of grunts to the most powerful of demons, have an arsenal spanning literally hundreds of weapons, have enough supernatural powers to be considered a god, have shown incredible resilience to pain, and I always return no matter how many times I undergo this thing you mortals call "death". Therefore, I think it is reasonable to assume that I am literally the most powerful soldier to ever murder my way through these virtual worlds.

FEAR ME!

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Yuugasa said:
James Heller from Prototype 2 is technically a soldier, he's the strongest I can think of off the top of my head, what with punching tanks to death and all.
Not to mention the inability to die. He's got the same abilities as Mercer, and Mercer was blown up by a bomb (Was it nuclear?) at the end of 1, and he survived that.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Probably Master Chief.

I know it's a little cliche being said but he's got the ability to flip a tank with ease (WITHOUT the armor). The armor just skyrockets his strength and capabilities. Of course in gameplay it's narrowed down but you can flip a fucking elephant so that's something.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
Samus A ran is the one I think of. Her tech is powerful enough to take on the elite of the elite in her world, and her world is in the highest tier of technological advancement.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I would say Master Chief, but only in the description of his abilities in the books. He sounds like an unstoppable juggernaut in the books and expanded universe. In-game however, tagged with one plasma grenade, it's bye bye to the Chief.

Samus is pretty unstoppable, especially in the Prime games once you collect all the energy tanks, special weapon upgrades, and expansions. Plus, she never has to reload her beams, and uses multiple kinds to fit different situations. Her plasma beam alone incinerates most living things with one charged shot, the covenant plasma pistol charge shot in comparison only knocks out shields.

rvbnut

Jan 3, 2011
MysticSlayer said:
Well, considering the defense of the silent protagonist is that you make yourself the protagonist...

I am the most powerful soldier. I have jumped across multiple dimensions, killed millions of useless enemies ranging from the weakest of grunts to the most powerful of demons, have an arsenal spanning literally hundreds of weapons, have enough supernatural powers to be considered a god, have shown incredible resilience to pain, and I always return no matter how many times I undergo this thing you mortals call "death". Therefore, I think it is reasonable to assume that I am literally the most powerful soldier to ever murder my way through these virtual worlds.

FEAR ME!
We have a winner!

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I'm going to nominate my fully kitted out assault trooper from Xcom: EU. With the best armour, best weapons, all of the unlockable abilities and max level psionic powers, nothing can take him down.

Alloy Cannons are incredibly fun :D

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Da Chief. There is no other. 117 'fo life. Ah, Samus Aran is also a good choice, but she's a bounty hunter, not really a soldier exactly.
Drummodino said:
I'm going to nominate my fully kitted out assault trooper from Xcom: EU. With the best armour, best weapons, all of the unlockable abilities and max level psionic powers, nothing can take him down.

Alloy Cannons are incredibly fun :D
Haha, I read that as full kitty assault trooper.
...I kinda wish there was a strategy game with cats, I'd play it.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Nathan Hale? I mean at the end of Resistance 2 he is blasting chimera away like nothing

Spacemonkey430

Oct 8, 2012
I'm going to have to go with Master Chief. Just some of the things he's done. Commander Shepard died the one time he fell from orbit. Chief has done it multiple times.

Zeterai

Oct 19, 2009
I'unno. I think the sheer amount that Mister Chef is built up is actually a detriment towards his own abilities. Everyone in universe constantly saying how powerful someone is sort of detracts from it, to me at least. But then I just don't like the character in general. Too much hype.

It does depend on your definition of Soldier, though. Samus might have been a bounty hunter, but she was contracted for the military on most of her missions, so technically it could be argued that, as a mercenary, she's a soldier of fortune I think is the term.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
No one cares. Seriously, not only are these works of fiction, but they are also games, and games have mechanics. Mechanics are highly diversified between games, meaning they really cannot be compared, because each game has different rules to guide its mechanics.

What matters is not who is the strongest, but who is the most compelling. 'Soldiers' as you say are nothing but characters in a fictional work, so it would really come down to who is the best character.