Who is the worst Final Fantasy character ever?

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
LittleBlondeGoth said:
I'll have to opt for Quina. I used him / her / it all of one time, then he / she / it was packed away, never to be seen again. Mind you, I did the exact same thing with Cait Sith, but he didn't annoy me like Quina did.

Not a big fan of Tidus, though he didn't stop me playing and enjoying FFX. His voice did grate on me though, and do not even get me started on the laughing scene. Even fake laughter doesn't make me cringe like that did. Vaan was forgettable too - Balthier should have been the main protagonist of that game. Hell, for me, he was. Vaan got relegated to being used when I had to, otherwise it was aaaaaall about Balthier.

Squall I'm fine with. Yeah he came with more baggage than an airport, but that didn't bother me. And I'm going to leap, fangirl like, on the post that cited Vincent - he wasn't the happiest of bunnies, but he had a list as long as your arm of reasons to be a bit hacked off. Plus, he's mine. Mine I tell you! :)

(I know he's not to everyone's taste, but I just can't stay away from the tall, dark, broody types).
I love you lol. I pretty much agree with everything you said (except the wanting Vincent part. He's an awesome character, but you can have him.) Though, I would add Yuffie to the list of hated characters.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
woodaba said:
Cridhe said:
Byere said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Herbsk said:
Lol, You obviously didn't get my joke.

"Cid", as a name, has been in every Final Fantasy ever created. Be it an NPC, a playable character, or even just someone mentioned in backstory.
Actually Cid never appeared in Final Fantasy I
Actually, he is in it. Although he never appears, he is mentioned in the anniversary remake as the creator of the skypeoples airships and is known as "Cid of the Lufiane"
Really? I can't believe I don't remember that. I played through the game about five or so times too.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
In my opinion Quina, Cait Sith, Gau and Rikku are the worst characters because they're one dimensional and aren't aesthetically pleasing in the slightest. I hate every character in FF12 because of their horrible voice acting and/or dialogue.

I don't mind Cloud, Squall, Tidus, Sahz and Hope because they still manage to go through some personal growth. I like Wakka because he's Bender. I like Snow and Vincent because they look good, Snow's strong willed and they're pretty powerful in terms of gameplay.

Vanille's sex noises are pretty annoying but I don't mind her as a character because she actually has a slightly more complex personality than just "kawai desu desu cheerleader".

I love Eiko, Selphie and Yuffie (to a lesser extent) because they're so cute.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
I have to go with Tidus, with a nod to the rest of the Final Fantasy 10 cast. I just wanna punch him in the dick Johnny Cage style so badly. Of course, take that with a grain of salt, since my user name IS a reference to Final Fantasy 7. Though to be fair, Cloud DID annoy me when he went all emo. When you have two chicks pining for your attention (much less two chicks who look like THAT): you have NO reason to be goddamn emo!

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
Con Carne said:
I love you lol. I pretty much agree with everything you said (except the wanting Vincent part. He's an awesome character, but you can have him.) Though, I would add Yuffie to the list of hated characters.
Hehe. :) Yuffie... I will admit I wasn't overly keen on Yuffie to start with, but after a few playthroughs she began to grow on me. Especially when I realised she's actually a pretty good fighter and her limit breaks do excellent damage (though I did tend to roll with Vincent and Cid for the most part).

It's weird. The more I think about her as a character, the less she annoys me. I mean, she's out in the world hunting for Materia to restore her hometown and former glory. Maybe I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses, but I don't remember her being hyper and squeaky in the game. Sneaky, light-fingered and travel sick, yes. I wonder if a lot of my perception about Yuffie was from all the fanfics and stuff that showed her as this teenage brat. Or maybe I've just forgotten and need to play it again to remind myself how she comes across. :)

And don't worry, I'll keep Tall-Dark-and-Undead to myself. I can't let him out anyway; if I did, he might go tell the police about what I've been making him do... :D

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
LittleBlondeGoth said:
Con Carne said:
Hehe. :) Yuffie... I will admit I wasn't overly keen on Yuffie to start with, but after a few playthroughs she began to grow on me. Especially when I realised she's actually a pretty good fighter and her limit breaks do excellent damage (though I did tend to roll with Vincent and Cid for the most part).

It's weird. The more I think about her as a character, the less she annoys me. I mean, she's out in the world hunting for Materia to restore her hometown and former glory. Maybe I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses, but I don't remember her being hyper and squeaky in the game. Sneaky, light-fingered and travel sick, yes. I wonder if a lot of my perception about Yuffie was from all the fanfics and stuff that showed her as this teenage brat. Or maybe I've just forgotten and need to play it again to remind myself how she comes across. :)

And don't worry, I'll keep Tall-Dark-and-Undead to myself. I can't let him out anyway; if I did, he might go tell the police about what I've been making him do... :D

I can understand Yuffie's reasons for going out into the world. I just think I would have liked her better if she was a more mature character and not such a knucklehead. (Nyuk-nyuk)
Honestly, I hated the fact that Squenix made you actually put in a little effort to get Yuffie
(playing childish reverse psychology head games to get her to join your party) She is an overly annoying character, and for me useless.
It was for the same reasons that I didn't like Rikku. (Minus the stupid stuff you had to do to get her.)

Vincent is through and through, a bad ass. Sadly he's a character who didn't get the spot light he deserves and most definitely didn't get a worthy spin-off game. Dirge of Cerberus should have played more like Devil may Cry (For the gun-toting battles) and God of War for when you transform into one of Vincent's many monster forms. (In your face brutality mode. While giving each form their own fighting style)

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
KefkaCultist said:
Tidus: This - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc
That scene made me giggle alot, if only because of all the others reactions to Tidus there.

Bit who do I pick? Well they're from FF10, but believe it or not isn't Tidus. Rather, I found Seymour more distasteful since he struck me as a power-crazed loon... as if we haven't seen enough of those. Tidus at least redeems himself in the end and becomes a bit more tolerable. Seymour... only got worse.

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
Con Carne said:
I can understand Yuffie's reasons for going out into the world. I just think I would have liked her better if she was a more mature character and not such a knucklehead. (Nyuk-nyuk)
Honestly, I hated the fact that Squenix made you actually put in a little effort to get Yuffie
(playing childish reverse psychology head games to get her to join your party) She is an overly annoying character, and for me useless.
It was for the same reasons that I didn't like Rikku. (Minus the stupid stuff you had to do to get her.)

Vincent is through and through, a bad ass. Sadly he's a character who didn't get the spot light he deserves and most definitely didn't get a worthy spin-off game. Dirge of Cerberus should have played more like Devil may Cry (For the gun-toting battles) and God of War for when you transform into one of Vincent's many monster forms. (In your face brutality mode. While giving each form their own fighting style)
A man after my own heart - I would have killed for a game like you've just described, since DoC could have been so much better than it was. Didn't stop me playing it of course. It could have stabbed me in the face with a rusty spork every five minutes and I'd still have played it, just because it had Vincent as the lead. Actually there are times when I think it did... But what I discovered actually works better is when you find a guy on YouTube who has uploaded all the cutscenes in order and sit down for a couple of hours and watch them. It plays a lot better as a movie. :p

I'm with you on Rikku, I reckon. I didn't use her much aside from when I really had to. Spoony hit the nail on the head there - she wants to stop Yuna from dying against Sin, so why keep trying to blow her up with rockets? She was most definitely squeaky. But Tidus' cringworthy laughing was worse. :)

Now Auron, he was freaking nails.

TheRobotandtheBeast

Aug 9, 2010
VAAN.
Every protagonist in the Final Fantasy Mythos had something special about him Terra was part esper, Cecil was from the moon, Tidus was Bruce Willis from 6th sense but not Vaan.

Not only is he not special in any way he he inconsequential to the plot of the game.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Cridhe said:
woodaba said:
Cridhe said:
Byere said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Herbsk said:
Lol, You obviously didn't get my joke.

"Cid", as a name, has been in every Final Fantasy ever created. Be it an NPC, a playable character, or even just someone mentioned in backstory.
Actually Cid never appeared in Final Fantasy I
Actually, he is in it. Although he never appears, he is mentioned in the anniversary remake as the creator of the skypeoples airships and is known as "Cid of the Lufiane"
Really? I can't believe I don't remember that. I played through the game about five or so times too.
He is only mentioned by one NPC, so its easily missed. :)

LokiArchetype

Nov 11, 2009
Lightning.

I haven't seen anyone else specifically name her yet and she deserves to be listed.

If Snow is a parody of the big hero then Lightning is the parody of the anti-hero. Both are douchey and self important in their own ways. Lightning's unreasonable hostility got more on my nerves than Hope's whiny-ness ever did.

Vaan wasn't the worst, he was just pointless. At least he wasn't a self important heiress. Being an American and all, I've always had a hard time appreciating the idea of returning the "rightful ruler" to the throne that you sometimes get in games and stories. How does your bloodline entitle you to a position of authority?

And the hate of Tidus was expected, through its funny to see people still bring up the laughing thing as if it was supposed to be taken seriously or criticize the "this is my story" thing which ends up being true in the latter half of the game after the reveal.

SarahSyna

Jul 8, 2009
Honestly, I just can't accept Tidus' whole 'it's my story' thing, because it just never felt like it was about his story, except in the start before meeting Yuna.

To me the game was all about Yuna, and I would have liked the game far more if she had been given centre stage instead. Her pilgrimage, her realisations and development (what there was of it), what she was willing to do to save Spira and its' people, all of those were just far more intriguing to me than Tidus' daddy issues.

The game wouldn't even have happened if Yuna hadn't chosen to go on a pilgrimage. Tidus just felt like a character who was tacked on because they needed an empty brain to exposit to and somehow bumbled into the limelight.

LokiArchetype

Nov 11, 2009
SarahSyna said:
what she was willing to do to save Spira and its' people, all of those were just far more intriguing to me than Tidus' daddy issues.

The game wouldn't even have happened if Yuna hadn't chosen to go on a pilgrimage. Tidus just felt like a character who was tacked on because they needed an empty brain to exposit to and somehow bumbled into the limelight.
What she was willing to do to save Spira and its' people is what Tidus DID do to save Spira and its' people.

And the pilgrimage would've been meaningless without Tidus because the cycle wouldn't have been broken.

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
Quina - Must.Eat.EVERYTHING. - Not a good way to explain to Zidane how he helps her.

Yuffie - Didn't like her, not one bit. Could not connect with her and her stealing the materia was so annoying because you had to run aimlessly around Wutai.

Vaan - He is meant to be the main character and gets shadowed by everyone else. Seriously why is he there, he doesn't have anything to do with what is going on what so ever.

There is a lot of hate of Tidus, but without him the game would have been very dull. He was upbeat, kept the momentum going. He was there to make the other characters smile, but was also there from a point of view of the player who had no idea of the world you were in. You were Tidus, the person with no idea about a Final Summoning, Yevon or anything when you first played that game. So I felt a connection with him.

SarahSyna

Jul 8, 2009
LokiArchetype said:
SarahSyna said:
what she was willing to do to save Spira and its' people, all of those were just far more intriguing to me than Tidus' daddy issues.

What she was willing to do to save Spira and its' people is what Tidus DID do to save Spira and its' people.

And the pilgrimage would've been meaningless without Tidus because the cycle wouldn't have been broken.
And I never felt that Tidus chose to die for Spira. he just kind of died as a side effect. He had no real connection to the place apart from Yuna, and he spent most of his time whining about his Zanarkand and much he wanted to go home. If anything, he died for Yuna, not Spira.

I disagree with that. Yuna wanted to give Spira lasting peace, not just temporary respite from Sin. That was her goal even before she fell in love, and she chose to reject false hope, not run off with a fella. That's what really broke the cycle.

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
SarahSyna said:
And I never felt that Tidus chose to die for Spira. he just kind of died as a side effect. He had no real connection to the place apart from Yuna, and he spent most of his time whining about his Zanarkand and much he wanted to go home. If anything, he died for Yuna, not Spira.

I disagree with that. Yuna wanted to give Spira lasting peace, not just temporary respite from Sin. That was her goal even before she fell in love, and she chose to reject false hope, not run off with a fella. That's what really broke the cycle.
Yuna had a choice. She could either run away from everything and be happy with him, or lose him, but everyone in Spira would be happy.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the one... or the few"

Tidus didn't die for Spira. Tidus died for the souls of Zanarkand who themselves had had enough of dreaming and keeping the memory of their city alive. He died for Yuna to be happy, for Spira to be free of a city being kept alive by a malevolent and destructive being, and to end the suffering of souls eternally dreaming.

SarahSyna

Jul 8, 2009
Kinichie said:
SarahSyna said:

Yuna had a choice. She could either run away from everything and be happy with him, or lose him, but everyone in Spira would be happy.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the one... or the few"

Tidus didn't die for Spira. Tidus died for the souls of Zanarkand who themselves had had enough of dreaming and keeping the memory of their city alive. He died for Yuna to be happy, for Spira to be free of a city being kept alive by a malevolent and destructive being, and to end the suffering of souls eternally dreaming.
Yuna never would have chosen to run away with him, it just wouldn't make any sense for the character. Especially not after killing Yunalesca and finding out about the whole dreaming thing.

Honestly, I never got that feeling. That may have actually what they were going for, but if it was, they didn't do it very well.

That's probably what annoys me the most about Tidus. He really was a good idea. A young man, the last remnant of a long dead civilisation, suddenly finds himself in a new strange world? Genuinely intriguing.
That same young man not only growing to love this new land and choosing to die for it so it can have true peace, letting go of his own home, the home he had spent so long hoping for and trying to return to? It is honestly an epic idea.

But they didn't pull it off, and it's a damned pity. That would have been so damned interesting. Tidus really could have been main character material, but the character was annoying, badly written, didn't change or develop into a more mature, selfless person and just didn't carry the proper gravitas to pull it off.