Who is the worst Final Fantasy character ever?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Wow the entire first page and no hate on Cait Sith yet?

I'll go with the consensus that Hope from FFXII is probably the absolute worst of the lot. I have never so wanted a child character to die horribly in a game.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I'm sad about how much hate Rikku and Vanille are getting, as they're my two favorites. :(

For me it was Auron. I hated that guy. I used him for a bit my first play through, but when I realized what a jerk he was, I promptly stopped. When he revealed himself to be a total hypocrite, too, I resolved never to touch him again. Rikku got his sphere grid, and Auron can GTFO.

GroovyV

Feb 23, 2011
Regardless of how people feel about Vanille (who i really do like) or Rikku and Yuna (the same), or many other oddball characters from this Never-ending Series (*coughFinalFantasy47cough*), I feel the worst character was Vaan, Final Fantasy XII's poster child for the word Twink.

Say what you will about the plot and development, and the sequels for the handhelds... in the original, he was a pointless character created solely because the japanese don't like Bara-men that much. Androgynous for the win... meh.
Anyway, i'd gladly put up with Kooky, Mopey (to an extent), obnoxious, "ethnic" and whatever else than to have to deal with him.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
It's a tie between Vaan and everyone in FF13 except the black guy.

Runner up is Squall, only because everyone made fun of him for being such an angsty teenager all the time.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Fucking Dio. Making you fight for the Keystone? Throwing you in prison? I mean it's not like we're trying to save the world from complete destruction...

And look at that mustache-

That just screams "douche".

But seriously, Eiko. Love the game, but... well, I named her Useless. That basically sums it up.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I have not really played past Final fantasy X so I would cast my vote for Tidus. I didn't really like his voice actor that much, it made him sound annoying actually. It made the game difficult to pay through.

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
jumjalalabash said:
thelawgiver said:
Vanille, by a hair. The voice-acting was atrocious, and the game itself wasn't much better. Everything about her character in particular was just...awful. Hope is a very, very close second. Everything about him was pathetic. He is a combination of the worst qualities of Vaan (shrimpy/insignificant) and Cloud (whiny/self-loathing).

Cait Sith also sucks pretty hardcore.
Sad thing is Cait Sith is among the most reasonable people in all the FF games. I like how he finally called out the elephant of the room that is Barret being a terrorist who killed hundreds of people. Hell when I think about it, Barret destroying that reactor probably killed more then anything Sephiroth did.
I was going to say Cait Sith until you pointed that out. He still does suck.
Quina was a useless character as was Zorn and Thorn. I hated Zorn and Thorn because it seemed like they were trying to replace the Biggs and Wedge trope.

I also hate Kuja. Whoever designed Kuja, must have thought "let's make Sephiroth, but dumb him down and make him gender ambiguous."

Wow all of my most hated characters are from Final Fantasy IX what does that tell you?

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I would say Hope. Granted I didnt finish FF13 (I did with every other FF though) and I just never found any reason to like him at all. The closest saving grace I can think of for the character is that lightning made him less then useless

Selphie might be the second worst. She was just completely inconsequential to the story. I would like to say Penelo is about the same but then again she didnt get much screen time

Vaan: Starts out as a naive teenager with power fantasies, later on realizes that, and continues being the naive teenager with power fantasies. CHaracter development is supposed to allow the character to develop not remain the same

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
I'm sad about how much hate Rikku and Vanille are getting, as they're my two favorites. :(

For me it was Auron. I hated that guy. I used him for a bit my first play through, but when I realized what a jerk he was, I promptly stopped. When he revealed himself to be a total hypocrite, too, I resolved never to touch him again. Rikku got his sphere grid, and Auron can GTFO.
No offense, but I fail to see how anyone could possibly hate Auron. (Of course I probably don't have the right mindset to see why.) Too me, he was my favorite character in that game.

Also, how was he a hypocrite? I haven't played the game in a while, so I may have forgotten.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
"The dead MUST be sent." But, you know, not me. I'm too cool, and badass, and stuff for the rules to apply to me. Just those lesser people.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
"The dead MUST be sent." But, you know, not me. I'm too cool, and badass, and stuff for the rules to apply to me. Just those lesser people.
I'm pretty sure he didn't mind the idea of being sent. But I doubt he would want to do that with his friend, who was Sin, running around killing everyone. Plus he did get sent at the end of the game.

EDIT: Thinking about it now, I guess that does make him somehwhat of a hypocrite, but that doesn't change how I feel about him.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I'm aware of how the story goes. But he still annoys me. He doesn't give anyone else the option to say "No, I still have stuff to do." Nope, he insists Yuna send them on, all while he is dead and doesn't think that's hypocritical at all. As a general rule, though, I hate the "badass" archetype. Wolverine, Auron, Riddik, Batman, they all annoy me.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Tidus Stop being a Girl
Barret im not a Racist
Vaan MY GOD GET A SHIRT

and i liked Yuna

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
CkretAznMan said:
Kadaj and his gang. Ugh.

Well, that is unless we're only talking about video games here, but whatever.
If you're going for movie characters I'd say the entire cast of Spirits Within. Stupid humans. No fantasy creatures and not a Cid to be seen (Sid doesn't count).

As for FF characters in game, the worst one ever is G. Because screw Gackt for trying to crow-bar his way into Final Fantasy VII. The only good thing about G is how often you get to beat him up. Yeah Gackt, that's what you get for outshining Klaha and Tetsu! How dare you release crap like Black Stone next to something good like Lu:Na!!

I also strongly disliked Vanille.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I actually really liked Cait Sith (Aka Reeve), as mentioned before he's a reasonable character and among the executives of Shin-RA he's the only one who clearly cares for the people. (In a similar vain, I liked the hint of Rufus having a change of heart in Dirge of Cerberus) Most characters are pretty bad though...

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I bet no one has mentioned this one:

*AHEM*

Cid/Sid (Sp?) From The Spirits Within. Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed the movie. Not my favorite movie, but it was alright. However....Sid. Man, that old fart just made me want to punch him in the face. All he did was point everyone in the somewhat right direction while he stayed hope and perhaps had a nice, warm bath. Maybe even drinking tea. Then everyone would return, some were missing and then more catastrophe...but he somehow survived it all. But in case there's people out there who haven't seen the movie...

Heck, towards the end, all he does is sit and...SLEEP! He sleeps with Aki and the other guy risks their lives! And that one guy dies! So at the end, Aki is having a bittersweet moment and she, along with Sid, are the only survivors of that whole event. And what does Sid say? "MMM, WARM!" or something like that. Really?! After everyone dies, all you have to say is 'warm'?
He truly had no contribution to the story. Everything that he did could have been done by someone else. Just my two cents.

Other FF characters that annoy me:
-Cloud: Countless sequels and spin-offs and his attitude remains the same. *Sigh*
-Yuffie: Spunky girl with no true addition to the story? I'll take Selphie over her any day of the week, thank you.
-Vaan: Nothing against him, just the fact that he also has no major contribution to the story. Heck, he had to have a sequel in order for people to notice him.
-Penelo: Love the character. Same thing as Vaan above.
-Quina: Girl or boy? Kid or adult?
-Wakka: He acts like a 10 year old. Tidus? Alright, he's still young. But Wakka looks older...what's his excuse?
-Rikku (FFX-2): Because she turned into a whore in that game. She was a fine character in FFX. She was even mysterious at the beginning. But in FFX-2, she goes from well rounded character to dumb sidekick with little clothing.
-Zorn and Thorn: Who are you guys?! Why won't you die? The queen died, why can't you?
-Elephant Lady (Queen Whatshername/Garnet's "mom"): Because she reminded me of Jinx. And I wasn't playing Pokemon.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
Vaan. Hands down. He barely even needed to be there. In fact, according to the Final Fantasy wiki...

The Final Fantasy Wiki said:
Vaan is known for being a compromise character, who was chosen as the title character because the Square Enix executives felt the original ideas for the game's main character, a much older, experienced man, would not appeal to target demographics.