Who is your favourite developer in business right now?

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
The other day I got Planescape: Torment off of GOG, and I just finished it.

I've seen people call this the best-written game ever made, and I can certainly see why. I am left simply amazed at the quality of the storytelling. But I said in business "right now" so I'm going to say Obsidian (I mention Planescape because Obsidian has many of the people who worked on it).

I've loved every Black isle/Obsidian game I've ever played (those being Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer, Storm of Zehir, KOTOR 2 and of course Planescape: Torment).

Of them I'd say KOTOR 2 was the weakest, unless you happen to use the restored content mod (which I do) in which case it'd probably be Neverwinter Nights 2 (which I still like a lot). Mask of the Betrayer blows it out of the water, of course.

So yeah. I honestly think Obsidian is my favourite developer in business right now.

Now that I've gotten my fan wank out of the way, what are yours?

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I'm tempted to say Obsidian too, but it's really more on the strength of the Black Isle games which isn't technically Obsidian. I still like their Obsidian output, but it isn't as good as what they did as Black Isle, unfortunately. Still, Project Eternity could easily change that...

It's a difficult question, really. A part of me wants to say CD Projekt because of the way they run their business but, while I like their games, they haven't blown my mind. I like them more as the owners of GoG.

I really like Valve. I have a couple of issues with Steam, but they're relatively minor and I can play any one of their games for hours upon hours. The only game of theirs that's completely blown me away is Half-Life 2 (and Episodes) but L4D2 has more hours clocked on Steam for me than any other game and CS:GO is rapidly catching up.

But I think I'm gonna have to go with Wadjet Eye Games because not only do they seem to be all around really cool guys but they helped remind me just how engrossing adventure games can really be.

Lur-King

Sep 22, 2012
ScrabbitRabbit said:
I really like Valve. I have a couple of issues with Steam, but they're relatively minor and I can play any one of their games for hours upon hours. The only game of theirs that's completely blown me away is Half-Life 2 (and Episodes) but L4D2 has more hours clocked on Steam for me than any other game and CS:GO is rapidly catching up.
Truly Valve amazes me beyond just being a great game developer though. They always do the coolest things for the gaming community and are very much, at least for the moment, a shining example of how gaming developers can in fact be free to do their own thing and not be bound down by publishers.

However, I am torn between Naughty Dog and StudioLiverpool as my favorite.

Naughty Dog always made great, amazing games for me. Jak and Daxter being at the top of my favorites list from them, I enjoyed Crash Bandicoot and the other great mascots they have created for themselves.

StudioLiverpool was a surprise for me, seeing as I was first introduced to them through the free WipEout game I received with my PSP. After that, I purchased and tried to find every game I could from them. It's a shame to see them closed down recently, but apparently they are still alive. I digress~

ND / SL Tie.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Gamefreak

Call me simple, but I love what they do with Pokemon. They retain the same basic, working formula, and they improve on it with every new generation.

And make damn good game music.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Sean Hollyman said:
Gamefreak
The fact that they been releasing essentially the same game for years and still make it seem so polished and fresh is a testament to their skill as a developer. I would like to see them do other stuff, but don't fix what isn't broken I guess... unless you can make it better ;)

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Gamefreak

Call me simple, but I love what they do with Pokemon. They retain the same basic, working formula, and they improve on it with every new generation.

This.

Also, Intelligent systems. Fire Emblem, advanced wars, and paper mario should explain why.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Gamefreak

This, Also the creative team at Sid Meier's do amazing work

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
Bioware. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are one of my most beloved games and the characters they create are far above anyone else. Also Bethesda because they can create worlds that completely immerse in their games. If I had to choose a third probably Blizzard since I grow up on Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 and you know that their games will always be completely polished.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Dont really have one tbh but I suppose Platinum Games or Grasshopper might be it or even Nippon Ichi, I dont like all their output by a long shot but their projects always intrigue me and they seem to stay fresh so I guess those 3 probably Platinum overall due to the silky smooth controls in Bayonetta and Vanquish.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
From Software and Gearbox Software because they make 2 of my favorite series and haven't let me down with any of them.

I wish I was into Armored Core, because I like the idea behind it, but AC games just haven't impressed me as yet.

As long as From keeps making Soul games, possibly a sequel to 3D Dot Game Heros, and hopefully Tenchu games again since Aquire pretty much killed the series after regaining the license.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Lump me in with the Obsidian crowd. Their games may be buggy as all hell, but god damn if I don't love them. Alpha Protocol remains one of my favorite games this generation despite its faults. Really looking forward to the South Park RPG as well.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Obsidian, because Alpha Protocol and New Vegas. Hopefully I can add the South Park RPG and Project Eternity to my list of utterly awesome games in the near future.

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
Obsidian would have to be at the top of my list! Despite the fact that I was such a huge Black Isle fan (Fallout 2 still remains my favourite game of all time), Obsidian have still made some of the best written games of this generation (and last). New Vegas was vastly superior to 3 & was the closest to the Fallout 3 that I've wanted for 10 years! If Bethesda had given them a bigger & better engine then that game would have been even near perfect! Alpha Protocol had a really intriguing storyline! If only Sega hadn't been such bastards to them!
I've always surmised that if the publishers had let them get on with their work (looking at you Lucas Arts, Sega, Atari and Bethesda) then they would be a stellar studio! Though thankfully I haven't heard any horror stories involving THQ and the South Park RPG!
With Project Eternity being publisher free I cannot wait!

Second I would choose Gearbox! They really do listen and care about their fans (here's a great example of how they respect their fans [http://www.screwattack.com/news/gearbox%E2%80%99s-loving-tribute-late-fan-goes-above-and-beyond-humble-eulogy). Also through interviews (especially Randy Pitchford) you can see how passionate they are about the games they make! Not to mention the quality of their games! I've just had a blast with them (even DNF to an extent).

Third would have to be Bioware! It just has to be! It would have been 2nd maybe first if it wasn't for their downfall! Dragon Age Origins & Awakening, Mass Effect 1 & 2 (and 2/3rds of 3). I actually enjoyed The Old Republic aswell! Im keeping my fingers crossed for Dragon Age III! Though also dreading it as I can't fathom how EA are going to put multiplayer in it!

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
My choice is Double Fine. Even when their track record is hardly flawless, all their games are full of personality, and you got to respect that.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Definitely Gearbox Software. Regardless of how Aliens:Colonial Marines turns out to be, I will still like them. They're just really kickass guys who have put a lot of effort into making the Aliens sequel fans want.