Who is your favourite developer in business right now?

Boggelz

Aug 28, 2011
Quite a tough one. I like Hal Labratories for my endless fun on Super Smash Bros.

But mine right now is probably a toss up between two:

Naughty Dog because growing up every single game made by them has brought me endless fun to this day, whether its Crash Bandicoot, Jak, or Uncharted. And The Last of Us looks amazing too if it can deliver.

Or Sucker Punch because every game they have made just seemed so fun to pick up and play from start to finish. I'm really interested in what they do next as inFamous 2 didn't leave itself open for much sequel space. Unless they somehow make inFamous 3 in some odd way. If that's the case then you're on thin ice Sucker Punch.

EDIT: Oh and I should probably shoehorn Supergiant Games for the obvious part. But I'm not sure that qualifies for the one game they released

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Bethesda with Bioware as a close second.

Although, given how much I am enjoying Borderlands 2 and also how much I like the first one, Gearbox is definitely getting up there.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I have to say Bethesda. Sure you may flme me for this one but this is my favourite. Siply because most of the others have done so much lately that they cant be considered "good". Valve is also good, but i cant honoestly pick it for i dont play valve games (seriuosly, last valve game i played was half life 1)

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Not sure if favorite developer or publisher...
But I'm a HUGE fan of ATLUS.

Tdoodle

Sep 16, 2012
Probably Game Freak. They're the only developer whose games I will never hesitate to buy, and keep. Naughty Dog, Creative Assembly and Sucker Punch are up there, followed by Bethesda. Bioware used to be one of them, but over the last few years I think they've lost it.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I don't think I have a favourite developer. I have a number that I like and/or love, and a number that I hate, but most I'm ambivalent towards.

Sid Meier's team do good work generally, and I believe they work for Firaxis ATM.
CD Projekt Red are amazing in both games and customer service IMO.
Obsidian make amazing RPGs, if sometimes a bit buggy.
Valve have great customer service in my experience, and when they do release games they are unimaginably polished most, if not all of the time.
Rocksteady Studios did an amazing job with the Batman games, and the PC port of Arkham City was brilliant.
United Front Games have done a great job with Sleeping Dogs, which looks absolutely stunning on the PC, whilst some of the controls can come of as a bit clunky.

There are probably more that I CBF thinking of right now, but those are some devs that I feel do a good job with their games, and I've had no problems with personally in the customer service department.

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
I'm tied between Double Fine and Gearbox. Double Fine games are all at least interesting and are packed with personality. Gearbox is a good developer because it cares. It took all of the complaints that people had about Borderlands and actually fixed them for the sequel. Also that whole deal with the stolen artwork is being handled so well that I can't help but like them.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Nobody. Really. Good companies come and go all the time. You start of small, building loyalty and steam growing until you are finally no longer that little obscure gaming company and your name is now instantly recognized.
Then either 2 things happen;

(1) They dump all their money into one new crazy idea/game that tanks the company hard and they are forced to be "rescued" by a major publisher, who only eats them for the name (as noted above). Eventually, the talent burns out or leaves, leaving nothing but name which soon means nothing, because the talent behind it is no longer there.

(2) They become so big that the only way to deal with it is to buy it out. But the publisher soon finds that they company they just bought has razor thin margins (OUCH!) and that won't make your investors happy. So you start doing what a major stock held company does, start managing those profit margins, doing what ever it takes to get them to grow. A few nips & tucks there and cuts here and soon you see those margins rise, but the talent now feels crushing overhead pressure of publisher over-lording and soon escape to greener pastures, leaving nothing but name which soon means nothing, because the talent behind it is no longer there.

But then again, I'm still partial to Rockstar. I just wish for a RDR sequel. There needs to be more sandbox westerns.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
I'm going to go with RockSteady Games. Yes they've only made two games. But both of them are truly excellent and have set a standard that all licensed games should try and reach.

Jan 13, 2012
I have three that I love at the moment. Gearbox - for their attitude, BioWare - for their games and Valve - for their business practices.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Well, Obsidian's pretty awesome; it's clear that they're a studio that really knows how to make RPGs. They'd probably be the biggest names in the genre if they could playtest things a little bit better.

There's also LittleBigPlanet creator, Media Molecule. Their new game for the PS Vita looks pretty damn cool.

And, despite what people say about them, Nintendo as a developer is still one of the top dogs when it comes to making quality games.

Rockstar is also very consistently excellent.

Really, there's a lot of choices; it's difficult to say.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Even though they probably hire a bunch of chimps, and drugged up hobo's to do their quality testing, Obsidian is a great developer, and their games have been some of the most richest, and most in depth experiences this gen.

I still love Sega, and Sonic Team as developers, as they have really stepped up in their game over the past few years, after a bit of a bad spell in the couple of years leading on to the end of the last decade.

Valve are cool, and all, but they need to release more games!

CDProjeckt are a great developer, and are possibly some of the most intelligent minds in the industry. The Industry as a whole seriously needs to learn a few pointers from them.

Naughty Dog have been really great this gen, as they really know how to craft an amazing experience, and the people who work there seem to be the most laid back developers ever, judging by their making of Uncharted videos.

And last, but not certainly least, Grasshopper manufacture is a great developer, and Suda 51 is just fucking insane, but in a good way.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I'd say Gearbox because I'm loving Borderlands 2 and what they did for Michael Mammeril is a class act! They can do no wrong.