Who is your favourite developer in business right now?

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
People can complain all they want, but Capcom has brought me so many delectable goodies. Ranging from Phoenix Wright to Resident Evil to Megaman to Devil May Cry to Monster Hunter. And Dragon's Dogma is the strawberry placed atop the proverbial cheesecake.

Sucker Punch also deserves honorable note for the Sly Cooper series and inFamous.

And so does Namco Tales because I love all the Tales games.

Aug 19, 2010
either Bioware or Ubisoft. Now I know Ubi had some questionable acts of late, but i forgive them absolutely everything, because they gave us Assassin's Creed, which is my number 1 franchise at the moment.

Reven

Feb 7, 2012
Bhaalspawn said:
Scrustle said:
Bhaalspawn said:
Scrustle said:
Bhaalspawn said:
EA don't develop games. They publish them. They own a lot of good studios, but despite the fact some of them are called "EA something-or-other" they don't develop any games in-house, like Valve or Nintendo may do. So they don't count.
The great thing about video games? I don't need my personal favorite to be validated by other gamers.
And you still found a way to be passive aggressive and confrontational. It's a win-win scenario!

I've also decided to award you a 10/10 in completely missing the point. Great job!
I do see the point.

My favorite game company is EA. Saying that is going to have everyone try to be condescending by telling me they don't count or that it's invalid, ect.

Why? Because EA is the company that's the end-all and be all target of every whining little shit that makes up a good two thirds of the gaming community. If I had said any other game company that rarely makes first-party games, nobody would be batting a fucking eye.

I like the company that pisses off the crybaby dipshit demographic. Get the fuck over it.

Ummm no, the question is who is your favorite DEVELOPER, see, i don't like EA at all, but if you like them that's fine with me :) the issue is they are a publisher now, which is not a developer, if the question was favorite game related company, by all means answer EA, everyone has different tastes, but it seems to me like you are the one that can't deal with the idea that no one is actually attacking them, they are just pointing out that you are giving the answer of mandarin orange to the question of what is your favorite type of apple.

OT: Obsidian because i love their storytelling in the games that they develope

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'd say Valve, just because of what they're doing for gaming as a whole (in particular keeping digital distribution fair), on top of their games, which manage to make emotional connections that many higher-end games still fail to do.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Telltale are pretty cool. CD Projekt is a great developers and they truly support PC and care about costumers. Of course Valve too!

Let's not forget Team 17, Psygnosis, Microprose, Bullfrog, Origin, Lucasarts... Aaah good times... Team 17 is still making games. And Lucasarts is busy making crap.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Media Molecule, That Game Company and Quantic Dream for me. Potentially Naughty Dog and Obsidian, depending how their next games turn out. Bioware and Maxis get a zombie vote. Double Fine, Bizzard, Valve, Kojima Productions and Square Enix get runner up awards, reasons below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thing about Valve, is they literally couldn't do what they do without Steam. The reason their games are so polished, is they don't actually have to make money on them. Look at Half Life 2, that game probably didn't even start to make real capital for them until 4 years after it was released. But it didn't matter because they had another source of income suddenly coming in and they could still employ their people whilst they waited for the sales to build up. Valve without Steam would be like Obsidian, having to scrape around with publishers making games they don't want and being forced to release games early.

I mean the fact they can just not release a game for 5 years because they aren't done is incredible, no other studio could tie up so many millions and millions without a return in sight without going bankrupt.

... but on the other hand, having Steam Valve have used it more responsibly than almost any other publisher apart from the GoG guys would and having Steam they pay their games much more attention than even maybe Blizzard and they're willing to try out new cool things with Team Fortress. So I'll give them a 3/4 vote.

Then... probably Obsidian. KotoR 2 is a freakin' amazing game and so is Planescape. The test will be Project Eternity, if they can actually deliver and without publisher interference their problems go away they'll forever win and get my vote. But if Eternity is buggy even though they're the ones doing QA, then they can't quite be my favourite developer.

I like Double Fine, even if I'm not particularly blown over by their games, they have a strong identity and do things in a good way.

Bioware have been a bastion of RPGs, but Bioware has gone the way of Maxis. It technically exists but it's hard to place exactly what is Bioware and whats a label. So Bioware and Maxis are my walking dead choices.

...as much as I love Metal Gear Solid I don't think I can give a best developer label to someone for one games series. Equally, I love Final Fantasies and I love that they innovate and change so much from game to game, but all the sequels for XIII make me think they're a bit money grabbing sometimes.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
I usually like what Obsidian makes even though some of their games are flawed gems. I like to think the flaws are due to publisher influence or budget limitations.

Paradox is another developer that I like. They keep iterating on their core ideas and seems to focus on the niche audience that they have. I'm not quite as fond of their role as publisher, but they do give room for some interesting projects.

Then of course there is Firaxis. Being a long time fan of Microprose and games with the Sid Meier label I usually like their old-fashioned style.

And then there is Blizzard. I was dissappointed with D3 and hated what they did to WoW. But I still like their design and the extreme attention to detail that they put in. One of the few developers that can create a UI that feels good, in comparison most games makes me rage at the UI. I'm hoping they don't get corrupted by suits in the future.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
Atlus.

I played through Persona 3 and 4 back in January and fell in love with the series. I looked through the studios backlog and bought both Digital Devil Saga games and Nocturne. Just finished DDS 2 and really enjoyed that too. Catherine was amazing.

I bought Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 3 Portable on PSN for my Vita, because I'm committed to playing through as many SMT games as I can. Devil Summoner's too rare and expensive for me to hunt down, and it doesn't look as clean as Digital Devil Saga to me so I'll let that one go. Persona 4 Golden? An updated remake of my favorite game coming to a portable HD handheld? Love Atlus.

Outside of their development, Growlanser 4, Hexyz Force, Riviera, and Gungnir are all in my library. I'll follow these guys and I can't wait till P5. Go Atlus!

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
For me it's Suckerpunch or Grasshopper manufacture. Both make some pretty badass unique games that keep my playing and can't stop. inFamous 2, Lollipop Chainsaw, ect. I do also like Capcom and Gearbox.

Dutchj

May 2, 2010
I think I would have to say Gearbox Software. They get mad props solely for having created the game that (by chance) truly got me into PC gaming, James Bond 007: Nightfire. Aside from that they've created several solid games like the Brothers in Arms series and the Half-life expansions.

Of course, I can't mention Gearbox without also mentioning Borderlands, which is one of my all time favorite games. I can't say the same just yet about Borderlands 2, as I've not yet played enough of it to solidify such a decision, but so far it's looking really good. Especially in the writing and story department you can see heaps of improvement. I'm kind of on the fence about some of their design choices however, but maybe future patches will resolve those.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
iD software. (makers of Doom, Quake)
tri-Ace. (makers of Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile)
any many other smaller indie devs.

I used to love:
Capcom (makers of Mega Man, Resident Evil, MvC)
Konami (makers of Silent Hill, Castlevania)

these devs have turned into big mammoth companies that are killing their good franchises.