Who is your favourite developer in business right now?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I would have to say my favorite developer in business right now is CD Projekt Red with Valve in second place. I do like Bioware too.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Signa said:
Vigormortis said:
Signa said:
Then there is Valve, but it's hard to call them a dev these days.
I'm curious. What makes you say this?

I hear that argument a lot around here and it's always perplexed me.
I say that because they've taken to being a retail store more and more. That doesn't diminish my love for what they do and how they do it, but we are talking about developers here, and Valve hasn't developed a game that I'm ecstatic for in years. Portal 2 was great, but it had its flaws. I don't give a shit about CS:GO, and L4D was amazing while it still held my interest, but I'm really bored with it now. TF2 is about the only game I play by them these days.

So yeah, that and it feels like a cop-out answering Valve in a question like this. Of course Valve is my favorite company/developer/publisher/retailer/social media network... They do too much.
I can appreciate feeling like it's a "cop-out" to pick them. On this forum, it's likely to be a common choice. (though probably out-numbered by people swooning over Obisidian, Bioware, or Bethesda)

However, not being a fan of their latest games doesn't really negate their status as a developer. I still view Bungie as a developer but I haven't been a fan of any of their titles except for Halo:CE and ODST.

I don't know. I always hear people complain that they don't make games anymore. Yet, they're producing more titles a year now than they ever have. So...those points never made sense to me. That's why I often ask these people to explain as I genuinely would like to understand where they're "coming from", so-to-speak.

It's the same set of circumstances that see me asking people why they think Bioware is now a bad developer; simply because of the bad ending(s) to Mass Effect 3.

Regardless, I can back the "cop-out" idea. To some it probably seems like the easy answer.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
Nintendo - Nintendo always has a special place in my heart. Without them, I would never have played video games (I grew up an N64-Gamecube kid). Yes, the Wii is dumb, but that's besides the Point. Nintendo has almost always made good games (Especially the main Mario and Legend of Zelda Games series), with a few exceptions. Nintendo is a veteran game maker, and one of the strongest modern day video game companies on the earth. The WiiU is looking great! And the fact that they saved Bayonetta from dying is very Valve-ish in my eyes (Even if people don't support it).
Hey, Nintendo. What took you so long?
Anyways, my favorite developer would have to be Team Gar-
What's that? Garry's Mod broke again? Well, screw those guys. Bunch of incompetent...
Since everyone here has said Valve already... jmtb02.
His name is synonymous with time-wasting, addictive as hell flash games. Challenging, charismatic and always rewarding, these well-made buckets of fun never cease to entertain.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Gamefreak, DICE, or Nintendo. I like pretty much all their games, and find them consistently enjoyable.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Vigormortis said:
Signa said:
Vigormortis said:
Signa said:
Then there is Valve, but it's hard to call them a dev these days.
I'm curious. What makes you say this?

I hear that argument a lot around here and it's always perplexed me.
I say that because they've taken to being a retail store more and more. That doesn't diminish my love for what they do and how they do it, but we are talking about developers here, and Valve hasn't developed a game that I'm ecstatic for in years. Portal 2 was great, but it had its flaws. I don't give a shit about CS:GO, and L4D was amazing while it still held my interest, but I'm really bored with it now. TF2 is about the only game I play by them these days.

So yeah, that and it feels like a cop-out answering Valve in a question like this. Of course Valve is my favorite company/developer/publisher/retailer/social media network... They do too much.
I can appreciate feeling like it's a "cop-out" to pick them. On this forum, it's likely to be a common choice. (though probably out-numbered by people swooning over Obisidian, Bioware, or Bethesda)

However, not being a fan of their latest games doesn't really negate their status as a developer. I still view Bungie as a developer but I haven't been a fan of any of their titles except for Halo:CE and ODST.

I don't know. I always hear people complain that they don't make games anymore. Yet, they're producing more titles a year now than they ever have. So...those points never made sense to me. That's why I often ask these people to explain as I genuinely would like to understand where they're "coming from", so-to-speak.

It's the same set of circumstances that see me asking people why they think Bioware is now a bad developer; simply because of the bad ending(s) to Mass Effect 3.

Regardless, I can back the "cop-out" idea. To some it probably seems like the easy answer.
Well, I'm probably the wrong one to ask about those feelings anyway. Generally speaking, I don't complain about their release cycle. I get the feeling that those that do are just wanting HL3 or episode 3 or something, and instead we get 2 Left 4 Deads, 2 Portals, constant updates to TF2, and a fan remake of their first game in HD quality all before the next iteration is even announced. If I cared at all what they were doing on a day-to-day basis, and finding it had nothing to do with Half-Life, I'd be pissed too.

So, back to the original question at hand, who is my favorite developer right now? Not Valve, because I don't like the games they are developing right now. They are still number 1 in all things considered, and part of that is developing Steam, so maybe they still count for the question? I just assumed "games developer" was implied. Otherwise I could say Microsoft's Office Suite team is my favorite developer.

None of that is to say that if they don't make games that I like, I dislike them, or that they deserve to be disliked (I.E. liking Bungie for Halo:CE is fine, but if you didn't like Reach, I don't think it's a valid answer for this thread), just that I can't justify them as a valid answer at this very second. Borderlands 2 is way awesome!

Artorius

Mar 18, 2009
right now the Guys at Yager Development. aka the dudes who made Spec Ops the Line.
IMO they are currently the only team that understands how to make a AAA game. that is engaging and thought provoking. an art form in it itself.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bio....

B...

you know what?..never mind

[spoiler/][img/]http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/082/456/Okay.png[/img][/spoiler]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Signa said:
Valve hasn't developed a game that I'm ecstatic for in years. Portal 2 was great, but it had its flaws. .
this is hard to explain without sounding like a rabid fan....

but I dont think Portal 2 "having flaws" is a compelling argument against Valve in an overall sense

all games "have flaws" the follow up to a game that was considered perfect was never going to plase anyone (I think its damn near perfect follow up tot he first portal IMO..I could go into why but thats hardly the point)

that said I'm not a Valve fan....they only have 2/3 games I love and my relationship with steam is...interesting..to say the least

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Vault101 said:
Signa said:
Valve hasn't developed a game that I'm ecstatic for in years. Portal 2 was great, but it had its flaws. .
this is hard to explain without sounding like a rabid fan....

but I dont think Portal 2 "having flaws" is a compelling argument against Valve in an overall sense

all games "have flaws" the follow up to a game that was considered perfect was never going to plase anyone (I think its damn near perfect follow up tot he first portal IMO..I could go into why but thats hardly the point)

that said I'm not a Valve fan....they only have 2/3 games I love and my relationship with steam is...interesting..to say the least
I should expand on that.

Portal 2's flaws hardly tarnish it, because after beating it, I instantly turned around for a second playthrough. That was even before playing the co-op multiplayer. Portal 2 was an excellent adventure to enjoy. My problem with it is that the puzzles weren't puzzling enough, and there is virtually no replay value beyond enjoying the hilarious dialogue. I don't regret playing it, I don't regret buying it new at full price. I just can't look upon it and say this was something to remember Valve by. I think L4D was a more memorable experience, because every time I played it (for the first 50 or so times :p) it felt like playing a zombie movie where the audience and player has no idea what's going to happen, and any character could die at any given time. I had never really wanted to play a zombie survival movie[footnote] like, say, watching Dawn of the Dead and saying to myself, "I think this could make an awesome video game"[/footnote], but L4D convinced me that I was wrong in never thinking that way. Was L4D flawed? Hell yeah it was, even more so than Portal 2. It just was a lot more unique and memorable at the time it was made.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Atlus, although I'm still pretty pissed about the region locking incident.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
CD Projekt by far. Despite all the crap in this industry they make the games they want, publish and distribute them the way they want, and are goddamn successful at it, expanding every year.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
Scrustle said:
Bhaalspawn said:
EA don't develop games. They publish them. They own a lot of good studios, but despite the fact some of them are called "EA something-or-other" they don't develop any games in-house, like Valve or Nintendo may do. So they don't count.
The great thing about video games? I don't need my personal favorite to be validated by other gamers.
And you still found a way to be passive aggressive and confrontational. It's a win-win scenario!

I've also decided to award you a 10/10 in completely missing the point. Great job!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Signa said:
Oh, no no no. I think you misunderstood. I wasn't questioning why you didn't pick them as your favorite now-a-days. Which ever is your favorite is completely subjective. I wouldn't berate you for your choice. I'm not that much of an ass. ;)

I was just saying that, even if one is not a fan of their current games, it doesn't mean Valve isn't still a developer. They still design, fund, and program (internally) one or more games every year. Thus, meaning they are still a game development company.

I think part of the confusion for some is the fact that Valve develops and often publishes their own titles. At least, on the PC. I think this gives some people the impression they are only a publisher. A concept that, while partly valid, is still rubbish.

'Course, this isn't even touching on the idea some people have that Valve hasn't developed a game internally since Half-Life. They point to almost every other project as an IP they "purchased" from someone else. A concept that's even more rubbish than the previous. But whatevs...

Anyway, like I said. I wasn't questioning your pick. If that's how it seemed, please accept my apologies.

As a side note, I think my current-current pick for "favorite developer" has to go to Runic. I am absolutely enamored with Torchlight 2. I foresee many an hour being piddled away dungeon-crawling for loot.

Takes me back to the first time I played Diablo 2...

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Paradox Interactive (and Paradox Development Studios) - great publisher with a heart for small developers, and themselves developer of pretty much the games I would make if I were a developer. Crusader Kings 2 was just awesome.

The best part about them, though, is their community management. They use no DRM in their games, but you need a legit key to get into the best parts of their forums, namely the modding subforums. That alone is well worth it - it's a great community and Paradox keeps everyone well up to date about their newest plans and developments. They reliably work with the community (to the point where they actually allowed community members to license their old primary engine and build their own games which then would be published by Paradox) on every project and truly listen to criticism.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
CDProjekt Red
CDPR has made two great rpgs, added hours of new content to them for free, and consistently released patches as needed. They listen to fans, but they don't kowtow to them, and they still manage to have a consumer-friendly business model.