Who is your favourite fictional character and why?

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Happyninja42 said:
Bicycle Hero (I forget his specific hero name in One Punch Man). He knows he's not super powerful. He knows he will likely die fighting the things they are sent against, but he still goes anyway. Because he chose to defend others, to his last breath. And he will fight until that last breath, no matter how futile. Because to turn away is to turn his back on those he swore to protect, and he'd rather die than do that. That scene of him in the rain, facing off against that Fish King character, fucking awesome.
I got shown that as well, it was downright soul affirming.

OPM is slowly but surely growing on me, DESPITE some of it's fanbase and especially despite the detractors missing the whole point of it.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Solid Snake because he is one of the few video game soldiers I care about

Tsukune from Rosario Vampire because he is an awesome harem protagonist

Negi from Negima because he is not a standard shounen hero

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Smithnikov said:
Happyninja42 said:
Bicycle Hero (I forget his specific hero name in One Punch Man). He knows he's not super powerful. He knows he will likely die fighting the things they are sent against, but he still goes anyway. Because he chose to defend others, to his last breath. And he will fight until that last breath, no matter how futile. Because to turn away is to turn his back on those he swore to protect, and he'd rather die than do that. That scene of him in the rain, facing off against that Fish King character, fucking awesome.
I got shown that as well, it was downright soul affirming.

OPM is slowly but surely growing on me, DESPITE some of it's fanbase and especially despite the detractors missing the whole point of it.
Yeah, because it's not really about OPM himself, it's more a deconstruction of super hero mythology and tropes, and it does it in a really impressive way a lot of the time. Like, the finale of that same episode where:

One Punch Man, upon hearing the civilians downplay the sacrifice and courage of the other heroes, simply because he kicked the Fish King's ass so quickly, deciding to play it like he was capitalizing on their work to get an easy kill. So that they didn't become ridiculed by the people they were literally torn limb from limb to protect. I thought that was a really awesome moment, a very subtle glimpse inside OPM's personality and spirit.

I also like the Bike guy because he pointed out something else that frequently gets overlooked. The rescue stuff. Yeah sure, the big guns are duking it out, but somebody's got to go around and rescue trapped people. And damnit, Bike Guy is going to do that until everyone is found.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Druss the Legend

Howard Moon.

Stannis the Mannis (the book version though, obviously)

Judge Dredd

Starscream from the Generation One Transformers series, with the cool voice.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
That's a hard one. If I had to choose, it would have to be Guts. I sympathize a lot with his struggle, and I appreciate the fighting spirit of someone who continues to persevere despite the odds. He's a character with hidden depths, and I like that.

Ogoid said:
It's a tough call, but I suppose at the end of the day there's only one possible answer for me...

Whoa, whoa, WHOA. Settle that back a little bit. You need to watch what you say.

I mean, Jesus is awesome, but he's no Optimus prime.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Fox12 said:
Whoa, whoa, WHOA. Settle that back a little bit. You need to watch what you say.

I mean, Jesus is awesome, but he's no Optimus prime.
Yeah, excellent point. I'm pretty sure Jesus never kicked this much ass [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_PjAAtUijQ]; certainly not to such gloriously cheesy 80s music. And I doubt he could turn into a truck.

Seriously, though, it's getting on 30 years since I first watched that movie, and I still can't watch Optimus' next scene in it without tearing up.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Man of all the shit that was in the Bay movies, I am flabbergasted they never borrowed that fucking jump he does: that shit was tailor made for a big action scene and they never bothered. I cannot tell you how long I spent trying to replicate it in the PS2 Transformers Armada game.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Nobby Nobbs from Discworld,

He is just such a lovable character: 4 feet tall, ugly as sin, chainsmoker, completely lacking any sense of manners or refinement, a petty crook (and also somehow a cop), tells dirty jokes in mixed company, one time joined the army to loot the boots off his fallen comrades, would look at you in shock if you suggested to him that it was wrong of him to take up a betting pool with other members of the city watch on how soon before a certain newcomer to the city gets murdered (it is, ostensibly, his job to prevent that from happening).

And yet, he is a good person. A hero, in fact (if you squint a little).

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Not sure. Would hesitate to go for Hannibal Lecter. In all forms except that first film called Manhunter or whatever it was. I think I'm a cannibal sympathiser. As long as they're geniuses with class and wit.

Maybe Rick from Rick and Morty.

Clementine from telltale's walking dead.

Sasha, Fiona...Hmm, Rhys, ...Ok quite a lot of the characters from Tales from the Borderlands series.

Moss from the IT crowd.

Dylan Moran played by Dylan Moran (he had a canon name, but not important) in Black Books.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Breakdown said:
Druss the Legend

Howard Moon.

Stannis the Mannis (the book version though, obviously)

Judge Dredd

Starscream from the Generation One Transformers series, with the cool voice.
wow i havent thought about druss the legend in years.

for me its max caulfield from life is strange

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
There's always so many characters that I love that they always blend together, I can never recall characters I love.

Still, Yassarian from Catch 22 comes to mind. Probably because I read the book not that long ago. Guy tries his best considering everyone was out to get him.

Hmm, this is surprisingly hard. I also enjoyed Cent in Drakengard 3, reminds me of myself in that I wish to be smart but really I'm not.
Just wish I had all of his 'facts' so I could chuckle at them.
Following on from Drakengard 3 (really I've just loved Yoko Taro's stuff) I really liked Angelus and Caim, but that's more for their relationship I suppose.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Michael Moorcock's Elirc of Melnibone'
First started reading the series when I was a sophomore in high school. And I could completely relate to Elric's moody feelings of isolation and alienation. He was also the first anti-hero I encountered. He usually tried to do the right thing, but went about it in a very amoral or even immoral way.

Plus I loved how Moorcock came up with the character. He was quite literally the "Anti-Conan". Conan is a strong, physically impressive barbarian who lives by his wits and disdains scholars and magic. Elric is a physically weak but immensely educated albino Sorcerer prince who depends on a soul drinking magic sword.

The Man With No Name
Clint Eastwood's famous "Spaghetti Western" character is the anti-hero done right. Smart, clever, witty and dangerous. He's a good guy, but not necessarily a nice guy. Some of his greatest one-liners came out of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. And come on...he doesn't even have a name!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, I gotta go with Rarity.

Shes one of the most interesting characters I've seen in really any media, plus she really transcends her archtype. You would be hard pressed to find a series with a female character who was really into fashion where she didn't end up being an antagonist or just insufferable. But Rarity, oh Rarity. Shes not just into fashion because she loves it, shes also a creator, she makes her fashion and sets fashion trends herself. Plus shes quite generious with her friends, even if it comes back to bite her in the butt.

I wish I could leave it at that and be done with this but I have to add Bayonetta since she was who I thought of when I first saw this thread.

I really like her confidence and ability. I like how she could be facing a skyscrapper sized angel and her attitude is a sense of fun and "I've kicked ass of bigger than you." She is rarely perturbed by what she faces, shes been there, shes done that, she is utterly confident in her abilities because she knows what the outcome will be. She will always be on top.

Hmm, if only we could combine the 2.
Hmmmmmm.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
Ollanius Pius, patron saint of the Redshirt Army Astra Militarum SCREW YOU GW Imperial Guard.

In a world of superhuman space marines, EVEN MORE superhuman primarchs and aliens who can eat the average human for breakfast (literally), he embodies what it means to be a guardsman.

When his god is on his knees coughing up his teeth, an ordinary man armed with what may as well be a toy stands up to the devil figure of the setting. He has no hope of victory but he will do his duty regardless. And thus started the tradition that guardsmen go into combat with the regulation wheelbarrow to cart their giant brass testicles into battle. Yes that includes the women.

Also the tradition of the Guard dying horribly against something that terribly outmatches them.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Hard to pick just one, so here it goes:

Beatrix Lucavi (Battleborn):

I don't like the game anymore, but she's one of the very few redeeming factors. I adore her. Not just from a design standpoint (ffs, she wears clothes that fit my taste), but also her character. Ended up roleplaying as her on the official forums.

Gaige the Mechromancer (Borderlands 2):

Yes, yes. Same company. But while their quality is questionable in the last couple of years, I do have to give character design to them. She's basically a Punk teenager with a potential god complex, and a knack for science.

A.B.A./Bridget (Guilty Gear)
From the same Ip, so I put them in the same spot.

Both are my GG mains, and in one way or another I can connect with them. Bridget when I was struggling with my own identity, ABA because she's pretty similar when it comes to being asocial.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
pookie101 said:
for me its max caulfield from life is strange
Was considering her presently, but am still going through the season first time, so wanted to at least see the end before making a decision. It's probably the first game that am finding a (possibly?) romance option more believably sweet than eye-rolling. Am impressed and invested so far, on episode 4.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Lord Sheogorath from the Elder Scrolls series. If I have to explain why I fell sorry for you.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Fitz in Robin Hobb's books. He's a bit crap at everything but I like him nevertheless. Though most of that is Nighteyes.

Not too sure about the Fitz in the newest trilogy, he seems weirdly dim.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Perhaps a less controversial runner up for me, Number 6 from The Prisoner. The sheer level of cleverness, defiance, cool, and ruthlessness (the episode "Hammer and Anvil" exemplifying this) but actually tempered by a sense of loyalty and duty to people in distress.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Worgen said:
Hmm, if only we could combine the 2.
Hmmmmmm.
That is the most amazing thing I've seen all week!
I'm an Applejack fan myself (see avatar) but I gotta admit, RarityBayonetta takes fashionable badass to a whole new level.