Who ISN'T looking forward to another Elder Scrolls game?

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
I enjoyed Oblivion despite it being less open than previous Elder Scrolls games.

I'm going to buy, complete, and re-complete Skyrim even if I feel like it may not return to it's peak (Morrowind).

uc.asc

Jun 27, 2009
I'm not. I played a couple hours of oblivion, then stopped because it was ridiculously boring, generic and repetitive (fuck you oblivion, I am not going to grind like thirty fucking copy-pasted hell maps). I keep hearing good things about morrowind, but I can't imagine the people responsible for oblivion making something I would be interested in.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I haven't played any of the earlier and won't play this one, but I'm still excided about this. It's a big game, it will probably be good and I'm happy for the many people that will enjoy it.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
+1 to OP. Regardless of what people say, Oblivion had a bit less stuff than Morrowind. Especially world size, but then again, Morrowind had more size, but it was mostly deserts. Then there's also the tutorials. If it continues like this, by TES VI the entire game will be a tutorial.(Blown out of proportion for nonexistent comedic value)

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Looking towards it as long as it doesnt turns out to be an utter turd of a game like TES IV Oblivion.

Sure it looked pretty, but its still a fricking turd.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Just because a game tries to be different dose mean the mechanics are.

Oblivion while better paced than FO3 is a to easy and and not as well done as morrowind. Fallout 3 suffers from having the mechanics focus on a 10 hour main story and nothing else... it would have been so nice if you selected hard mode it would remove the levels cap and you get half or less as much skill points and experience. Hell I managed to make it do that with geck . . also changed vats to more FO 1-2 setup at least as far as AP is concerned.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Being a huge fan of Elderscrolls III, and IV, and Fallout 3, I'm very much looking forward to the next game. I prefer Bethesda Softworks' approach to the RPG better than any other I've ever played.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
It's just going to be fallout with swords.

-m
Bwahaha! Classic.

As someone who played Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion: I'm pretty darned excited for Skyrim.

Morrowind had more meat to the world, but the gameplay was dated pretty fast.
I'm sorry, but swinging a million times at a creature until I roll 'hit' isn't good mechanics.

Oblivion's world was larger in sheer size then Morrowind, but smaller in terms of content.
Or, rather, memorable content (Though I loved both the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines).
But the gameplay was far more solid. The stealth alone was 200% better then Morrowind. The combat was much better, and I loved the off-hand magic. Now I didn't have to run around with my hands up front of my face like an idiot.

So, with Skyrim, I'm looking forward to seeing what the new engine will do (Can't wait to see the first gameplay videos), and hopefully, content wise, we'll get a marriage of Morrowind's depth, and Oblivion's gameplay.

New York Patrick

Jul 29, 2009
David Bray said:
Morrowind was beautiful. Oblivion was bullshit.

I'm really pumped for Skyrim because it looks to make you actually matter as a person...unless you're just going to be the Dragon Born's clerk. They might pull that.
Especially since the Dragonborn is likely going to be the next Tiber Septim or something, based on consistancy of nicknames...

SevenForce

Aug 26, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
SevenForce said:
Azaraxzealot said:
hell to the NO!
...Elder Scrolls 3, but that game SUCKED! it was WAAAAAAAAY too big ...
what.

the.

FUCK.

TOO big? that should NEVER be a complaint. Stuff like this is why we have to put up with paying £10 for DLC that lasts 4 hours!
i like it better if i can have 8 hours of fun rather than 20 hours of mostly just getting from point A to point B and lame combat.

yeah, Elder Scrolls combat has never been very visceral or even felt like i WAS hitting something whenever i swung my sword at an enemy.

thats why i like Fable and Fallout 3/New Vegas MUCH better
Fair enough, the gameplay on morrowind clearly isn't for everyone. For me, it's less about actual combat, and more about the purely unadultered freedom you're given. Which is why (among other reasons) i'm pissed off about tesIV (no levitate, cities as cells etc.), and really hope that number 5 isn't dumbed down so much..

But don't you feel a bit cheated when you spend ~£30 on a new release of an RPG with 8 hours of gameplay, when years ago you could get well over 40 for the same amount?

ElTigreSantiago

Apr 23, 2009
omicron1 said:
ElTigreSantiago said:
I'm confused. If you people didn't like Oblivion, what game were you playing that replaced it? It's the only game that even attempts to do what it does, and I for one think that it does a damn good job.
Say what? Oblivion was one of three "open-world RPGs" released in the 2005-2006 window: Oblivion, Gothic 3, and Two Worlds. Disregarding respective quality, they are pretty darn similar. True, they each went about making an open-world fantasy RPG in a different way - but they had the same core principles behind them.
Two Worlds was unplayable (Seriously, did you even play it?). Possibly the worst game of that entire year. And I just searched Gothic 3 and I see that it also received some horrible scores. And neither of these games have complexity and open world to the extent that Oblvion had.

TragicHero84 said:
I played Elder Scrolls IV, despite not having played any of the previous ones. I bought it because I love RPGs and after hearing so much about it, I figured I would love it. What a piece of shit that game turned out to be. I have never been so bored with a game in my life.
There is a reason Oblivion has a "Game of the Year" addition. And there is a reason that there was a thread here announcing the next Elder Scrolls game, and almost every post was people in absolute joy over just hearing about it. People still love the hell out of it, and it's almost 5 years old.

Just because you found it boring doesn't mean it's "a piece of shit". It is possible, you know, to just not like a game. That doesn't mean the game is bad, it's just not for you.

Go ahead and check this section out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion#Reception
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't anyone saying "What a piece of shit game that turned out to be."

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
I'm pretty indifferent on the whole matter, having never played an Elder Scrolls (or, by extension, Fallout) game.

Jun 11, 2008
If they don't make the main quest and Mages quests boring and repetitive as fuck then yes I am looking forward to it. Also the reinclusion of medium armour and the various weapons cut from Oblivion that were present in Morrowind.

Schnippshly

Mar 6, 2009
Well, Oblivion was really terrible, but surely a sequel made by the same people wouldn't be as bad- OH NO FALLOUT NEW VEGAS
The Elder Scrolls need to have co-op and/or a party system of some sort to make me like them

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
New York Patrick said:
David Bray said:
Morrowind was beautiful. Oblivion was bullshit.

I'm really pumped for Skyrim because it looks to make you actually matter as a person...unless you're just going to be the Dragon Born's clerk. They might pull that.
Especially since the Dragonborn is likely going to be the next Tiber Septim or something, based on consistancy of nicknames...
Possibly, but Septims are Imperials, and this is evidently a nord tale like morrowind was a dunmer. I hope it's completely removed so i don't feel old wounds from Oblivion.

TragicHero84

Dec 14, 2010
ElTigreSantiago said:
omicron1 said:
ElTigreSantiago said:
I'm confused. If you people didn't like Oblivion, what game were you playing that replaced it? It's the only game that even attempts to do what it does, and I for one think that it does a damn good job.
Say what? Oblivion was one of three "open-world RPGs" released in the 2005-2006 window: Oblivion, Gothic 3, and Two Worlds. Disregarding respective quality, they are pretty darn similar. True, they each went about making an open-world fantasy RPG in a different way - but they had the same core principles behind them.
Two Worlds was unplayable (Seriously, did you even play it?). Possibly the worst game of that entire year. And I just searched Gothic 3 and I see that it also received some horrible scores. And neither of these games have complexity and open world to the extent that Oblvion had.

TragicHero84 said:
I played Elder Scrolls IV, despite not having played any of the previous ones. I bought it because I love RPGs and after hearing so much about it, I figured I would love it. What a piece of shit that game turned out to be. I have never been so bored with a game in my life.
There is a reason Oblivion has a "Game of the Year" addition. And there is a reason that there was a thread here announcing the next Elder Scrolls game, and almost every post was people in absolute joy over just hearing about it. People still love the hell out of it, and it's almost 5 years old.

Just because you found it boring doesn't mean it's "a piece of shit". It is possible, you know, to just not like a game. That doesn't mean the game is bad, it's just not for you.

Go ahead and check this section out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion#Reception
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't anyone saying "What a piece of shit game that turned out to be."
yeah, well reviewers also say that Super Street Fighter IV is the best fighting game in years. You can't trust em.