Who should play the Black Panther?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So since it's trending so much on the site right now, I thought I'd drop a thread to let us fan out over which actor should play the Black Panther.

Who would you like to see play him?

I think my favorite choice would be Idris Elba, but that might be problematic since he's currently playing Heimdall.

I think he's got the right "regal" presence to play a king, as well as the acting chops to be a badass hero type.

Other ideas?

capcha: tickle the ivories
....ebony and ivory? Live together in perfect, harmony!! hmmm

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Personally? Idris Elba ... as a straight guy, he is a sexy dude! Plus I'll assume he has to look meanacing, while stoical and intelligent ... kind of like this
out of context, that hat is silly!

Handful of years ago, I would have said Michael Clarke Duncan ... Never said this about a celeb before but RIP! That dude was imposing and built like a brick shit house!

Speaking of Michaels, Michael Jai White. Muscular, athletic, good looking ... he is a great good ... decent actually kind of bad actor though. He is just wooden, like Kristen Stuart and Keanu Reeves had a kid ... can kick ass like an octopus in an ass kicking contest though!

Captcha: Grumpy cat ... well, he is a cat, just not very black ... or a good actor, you'd also have to teach a cat to talk.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Get Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to play him :D
He's done good in the latest movies I've seen him in!
Althou I see BlackPanther more as a slimmer, aerobic type of guy, so maybe not.... Ray Park? (I know he's white, but that can be changed can't it? Or just not have him show his face, like with snake-eye in GI Joe)
I think Disneys choice will be good, they've made it work so far.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Somebody white.After all most people seem to have no problem with a white hero like Johnny Storm being played by a black actor so it should be cool for a black hero to be played by a white guy right?

Guffe said:
Hasn't he already signed on for some DC movie though?Chances of him appearing in any Marvel movies in the near future are slim

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
MetalDooley said:
Somebody white.After all most people seem to have no problem with a white hero like Johnny Storm being played by a black actor so it should be cool for a black hero to be played by a white guy right?

Guffe said:
Hasn't he already signed on for some DC movie though?Chances of him appearing in any Marvel movies in the near future are slim
No idea what Johnson is doing in the near future.

I thought you had grabbed onto my idea of playing Ray Park as him whne I read the first line in your post :D

Yeah someone white should be good, the name Black Panther gets a whole new meaning!
Maybe Dan Radcliffe could pull it of?

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Guffe said:
Ray Park? (I know he's white, but that can be changed can't it? Or just not have him show his face, like with snake-eye in GI Joe)
No

MetalDooley said:
No no no no no

White washing and blackface isn't cool and it isn't at all necessary. There are a bunch of capable black actors (including the one the have already picked) and Black Panthers race is pretty damn important to his identity and characterisation. Erasing that would be villainous.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
zen5887 said:
Guffe said:
Ray Park? (I know he's white, but that can be changed can't it? Or just not have him show his face, like with snake-eye in GI Joe)
No

MetalDooley said:
No no no no no

White washing and blackface isn't cool and it isn't at all necessary. There are a bunch of capable black actors (including the one the have already picked) and Black Panthers race is pretty damn important to his identity and characterisation. Erasing that would be villainous.
Dude....
We're both taking the piss here :p
Just kidding you know, I know sarcasm is hard in written form (been fooled myself several times when there have been no "//sarcasm" in a text) but that was clear from me and Dooley, right? <.<'

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Guffe said:
Dude....
We're both taking the piss here :p
Just kidding you know, I know sarcasm is hard in written form (been fooled myself several times when there have been no "//sarcasm" in a text) but that was clear from me and Dooley, right? <.<'
Considering how often I have seen people say stuff like that with a straight face, unfortunately, sarcasm isn't obvious.

Mcoffey said:
Black Panther is an African King. Nothing about Johnny Storm's identity is tied to his race.
Yes, also the fact that there are already far more, and far more famous white superheroes than there are black ones.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Black Panther is an African King. Nothing about Johnny Storm's identity is tied to his race.
Agreed. They should get an actual African to play the part of an African King... Like Dave Mathews. Oh, wait. He'd just be another guy. There aren't enough women represented in Superhero movies, so let's gender flip this role and cast Charlize Theron.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Warwick Davis, that man is intimidating and handsome at the same time.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm fine with the actor they chose. Though Idris Elba should be in everything.

MetalDooley said:
Just off the top of my head:

Halle Berry
Nolan Nor...I mean, Ryan Reynolds
Ben Affleck (Okay, "near future" is a stretch, but still)

There are more, but that would require effort.

MetalDooley said:
What part of Johnny's character was based upon him being white?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Mcoffey said:
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Besides, there's still a matter of representation. There are currently at least seven white Marvel heroes and three black Marvel heroes (If you count Nick Fury). None of those heroes have a starring role. Stop with the false equivalency here.
I thought it was blatantly obvious, but I'll break it down.

We all know that Black Panther is an African King. But, that says nothing about his race. And, since you seem to be unaware, there are all types of people in Africa. So, the next time you want a black actor to play a role, have the balls to say you want a black actor to play the role. Else, you'll have people casting any actor from Africa, like Arap Bethke or Amr Waked.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
MetalDooley said:
Johnny Depp

He's proven he can play other races in major roles like Tonto in The Lone Ranger. He's also an established big name actor whose played many fictional/fantastical character roles.

If the general public dislike the skin colour change of the character than simply put Depp in blackface. Problem solved....