Who should play the Black Panther?

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
madwarper said:
Mcoffey said:
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Besides, there's still a matter of representation. There are currently at least seven white Marvel heroes and three black Marvel heroes (If you count Nick Fury). None of those heroes have a starring role. Stop with the false equivalency here.
I thought it was blatantly obvious, but I'll break it down.

We all know that Black Panther is an African King. But, that says nothing about his race. And, since you seem to be unaware, there are all types of people in Africa. So, the next time you want a black actor to play a role, have the balls to say you want a black actor to play the role. Else, you'll have people casting any actor from Africa, like Arap Bethke or Amr Waked.
Wakanda, the nation that BP is the king of, has never been "discovered" or colonized. It would have to be a Black actor.

MetalDooley said:
Guffe said:
Get Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to play him :D
Hasn't he already signed on for some DC movie though?Chances of him appearing in any Marvel movies in the near future are slim
He's gonna be Black Adam. Who is basically Captain Marvels main enemy.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
MetalDooley said:
Somebody white.After all most people seem to have no problem with a white hero like Johnny Storm being played by a black actor so it should be cool for a black hero to be played by a white guy right?
What part of Johnny's character was based upon him being white?
That actually brings up a question of mine since I heard the new Johnny is going to be black.

"Is he still going to be the Invisible Woman's brother? "

If so, is she going to be black too? If not, is one of them adopted or something? Or are they going to establish them as mixed heritage?

I don't really care how they work it, it just seems like an odd single factor in the Fan 4, without considering at least one other character in the combination.

Are they just going to be friends/coworkers, and have no familial ties at all? Do we know at all?

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Isaiah Mustafa perhaps? He's already expressed interest in Marvel if memory serves. Admittedly I know very little about Black Panther. I know very little about most Marvel characters outside of the films really.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
babinro said:
MetalDooley said:
Somebody white.After all most people seem to have no problem with a white hero like Johnny Storm being played by a black actor so it should be cool for a black hero to be played by a white guy right?
Johnny Depp

He's proven he can play other races in major roles like Tonto in The Lone Ranger. He's also an established big name actor whose played many fictional/fantastical character roles.
But does Black panther have a funny hat?

Wait, he can have a kitten sitting on top of his head, problem solved, Depp it is.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
zen5887 said:
No no no no no

White washing and blackface isn't cool and it isn't at all necessary. There are a bunch of capable black actors (including the one the have already picked) and Black Panthers race is pretty damn important to his identity and characterisation. Erasing that would be villainous.
I was only being semi serious to be honest.Still a bit of a double standard though

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Happyninja42 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
MetalDooley said:
That actually brings up a question of mine since I heard the new Johnny is going to be black.

If so, is she going to be black too? If not, is one of them adopted or something? Or are they going to establish them as mixed heritage?

I don't really care how they work it, it just seems like an odd single factor in the Fan 4, without considering at least one other character in the combination.

Are they just going to be friends/coworkers, and have no familial ties at all? Do we know at all?
Kate Mara, a White actress, has been casted for Invisible woman.

They are gonna be siblings, that has been confirmed. We just don't know if its going to be because of a blended family or adoption. We do know that their father is Black. The actor is Reg. E. Cathey.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Happyninja42 said:
So since it's trending so much on the site right now, I thought I'd drop a thread to let us fan out over which actor should play the Black Panther.

Who would you like to see play him?

I think my favorite choice would be Idris Elba, but that might be problematic since he's currently playing Heimdall.

I think he's got the right "regal" presence to play a king, as well as the acting chops to be a badass hero type.

Other ideas?

capcha: tickle the ivories
....ebony and ivory? Live together in perfect, harmony!! hmmm
I had the same thought, which is actually part of why I was irritated that they used him for Heimdall... in combination with the fact that I think characters should look as close to their comic counterparts as possible.

See, one of the big problems with ethnicity swapping is it generates short term hype, but then once you associate people with specific roles (especially if they become controversial) it ties your hands. There are decent numbers of black characters in comics who should receive a good actor at the helm, and right now they just wasted one of the top prospects for a leading role as a black super hero for some quick PC controversy.

Most of my ideal choices are sadly too old to play the role, or associated with other characters. He's too old now but I thought it would be kind of amusing to have Eddie Murphy play "straight" for once and take on the role of Black Panther, and make a sort of meta joke about his character from "Coming To America". :)

Of course then again, when push comes to shove I tend to mostly wind up thinking body builders and pro wrestlers are the best choices physically for most characters, but they are never selected. For example I honestly think "Triple H" looks pretty much like Thor IRL, Hemmsworth did the job well, but early on when it was speculative from a purely physical sense he pretty much was the character come to life.

For BP they might want to actually use an an unknown though, some black child actor that's growing up if they can find one or whatever. Not sold on his acting but maybe someone like Will Smith's son (as crazy as he can be). The reason why is that if they want to do an origin story here, an older guy being BP might be more kingly but it also wouldn't work for an origin where he's supposed to be taking this mantle as a young man, in his physical prime. See, I like Idris for an established Black Panther, but that would generally be if they just threw him out, fully developed, and acted like he was always there somewhere. However with the concepts involved where they have to introduce the concept of Wakanda, various supporting characters, etc... that might not work, unless they plan to do it retroactively through flash backs or whatever.

Of course after how they ruined The Mandarin (I know some people liked it, but I didn't, since he's such a classic bad guy) who knows what they are going to do with Black Panther. For all I know they will say there is no Black Panther and it's all a marketing gimmick for the Wakanda vibranium cartel, he'll show up in the background a few times and talk big, while the supporting characters do everything, then eventually the mask will come off and you'll find out it was Justin Bieber... playing himself as a cameo, Wakanda hired The Beeb to be the face of their company so they could sell vibranium jewelry to all the girls who think he's hot. He'll do a musical number, and then after the credits will be a pitch for his new CD. It will be every bit as much Black Panther as Ben Kingsley was The Mandarin. :)

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
Do you know anything about the origins of Black Panther?
Yes, yes I do.
Yeah, no wiggle room there.
I disagree. You should know that the Wakandans sent their scholars to study abroad and bring back their accrued knowledge to cause Wakanda to become the most technologically advanced society. It's not unbelievable that they also brought back mates/progeny of other races.
Thats like saying that Wonder Woman should be a man - directly contradicts their origin story,
Then, I would suggest you familiarize yourself with Wonder Woman, because Themiscyra was strictly isolationist, were as Wakanda was merely concealed.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Guffe said:
Dude....
We're both taking the piss here :p
Just kidding you know, I know sarcasm is hard in written form (been fooled myself several times when there have been no "//sarcasm" in a text) but that was clear from me and Dooley, right? <.<'
Ah, sorry about that.

But, in my defence there are a bunch of people in this thread who seem to be, at least semi seriously asking "Hey, why can't Black Panther be white?"

For example:

MetalDooley said:
I was only being semi serious to be honest.Still a bit of a double standard though
Sure, if there was an equal split between white comic book characters and minority comic book characters, swapping them around might be unnecessary. But, unsurprisingly, it isn't like that, there are like three black characters in the MCU (six if you include Agents Of Shield) and no black leads. Representation in media is a real thing and is pretty important and white dudes are already pretty well represented.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
omega 616 said:
Personally? Idris Elba ... as a straight guy, he is a sexy dude! Plus I'll assume he has to look meanacing, while stoical and intelligent ... kind of like this
out of context, that hat is silly!

Handful of years ago, I would have said Michael Clarke Duncan ... Never said this about a celeb before but RIP! That dude was imposing and built like a brick shit house!

Speaking of Michaels, Michael Jai White. Muscular, athletic, good looking ... he is a great good ... decent actually kind of bad actor though. He is just wooden, like Kristen Stuart and Keanu Reeves had a kid ... can kick ass like an octopus in an ass kicking contest though!

Captcha: Grumpy cat ... well, he is a cat, just not very black ... or a good actor, you'd also have to teach a cat to talk.
As a man who has a cardboard cutout of Idris Elba standing at the end of my bed watching me sleep with an interchangable variety of hats (currently a Green Bay Packers Snapback), I endorse your first suggestion.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
mecegirl said:
Happyninja42 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
MetalDooley said:

Kate Mara, a White actress, has been casted for Invisible woman.

They are gonna be siblings, that has been confirmed. We just don't know if its going to be because of a blended family or adoption. We do know that their father is Black. The actor is Reg. E. Cathey.

Hmm, interesting. Maybe they'll have different mothers, to account for the significant skin tone difference.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
zen5887 said:
But, in my defence there are a bunch of people in this thread who seem to be, at least semi seriously asking "Hey, why can't Black Panther be white?"

For example:

MetalDooley said:
Sure, if there was an equal split between white comic book characters and minority comic book characters, swapping them around might be unnecessary. But, unsurprisingly, it isn't like that, there are like three black characters in the MCU (six if you include Agents Of Shield) and no black leads. Representation in media is a real thing and is pretty important and white dudes are already pretty well represented.
I may have phrased that wrong.Let me make myself absolutely clear.I have no desire to see Black Panther played by a white dude.However I firmly believe that if you are adapting an existing work then you should stick as close to the source material as possible.That means Black Panther is black,Johnny Storm is a blond white guy,Judge Dredds face is never revealed,Arwen is a very minor character in LOTR etc.I would like to see more minority and female characters but I don't believe that just gender/colour swapping existing characters is the way to do that.And frankly I find it a bit annoying that colour swapping a well established white character is considered fine yet doing the same to a black character is horrible and racist

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Will Smith?
Although I also feel Will Smith should play Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, (Danvers) Uatu the Watcher, and Lockjaw.
Will Smith is wonderful.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Damian Wayne, of the Wayne's bros.

Nah, I honestly don't know; anyone on the list of "Who should play black James Bond" except Will Smith might work to be honest.

BRUTAL HONESTY THOUGH: Marvel kinda messed up when they casted Idris as Hoenheim. Not that he didn't rock that role; no, no, he BRUTALIZED, Hohenheim was Persepolis and Idris Elba was Alexander the Great (Go do some research, lordie knows you needz them edumcationifying).

Thing is though, in light of everything happening in Thor, Hohenheim played kind of a minor role to the grand scheme of things, and Idris is pretty serious lead material. He would have been great as Black Panther; I'm pretty sure at the meeting for setting up this movie, someone did say "let's get Idris for Black Panther!" forgetting he was already Hohenheim.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
If so, is she going to be black too?
Don't be ridiculous. That would put Mister Fantastic in an interracial relationship. And if people can't handle a black Kingpin or Heimdall, they'll explode at Reed banging a black chick!

Joking aside, I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of their rationale, albeit dialed up about thirty notches.

Honestly, though, it's fine with me if they never bother to "explain" it. The notion that siblings of different skin tones need more explanation than a guy who can light himself on fire and fly around is just strange to me.

And it almost certainly won't be the worst part of the movie.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
MrCalavera said:
Djimon Honsou? Since we're talking about the leader of an african kingdom, might as well pick an african actor.
He already played a role (one of the bad guy's flunkies) in Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't think Marvel would recast the same actor in a different role.

Lyiat

Dec 10, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
MrCalavera said:
Djimon Honsou? Since we're talking about the leader of an african kingdom, might as well pick an african actor.
He already played a role (one of the bad guy's flunkies) in Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't think Marvel would recast the same actor in a different role.
... Uh... Chris Evans? Hello? Yeah, that's already been done.