Who should play the Black Panther?

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
MetalDooley said:
I understand the situation perfectly well as a matter of fact.I'm well aware there aren't as many black characters as white.I've already stated in this thread that I'm in favour of more ethnic minority and female characters.I simply don't believe that race/gender swapping existing characters is the way to achieve that.I would much prefer to see people pressuring the likes of Marvel and DC to create new ethnic/female characters or to promote their existing ones more or come up with new ones themselves
Marvel might be able to promote some existing characters, but creating new ones is harder than it sounds. New white male superheros can't gain a solid following, I don't know why anyone thinks a minority character would be able too.

In either case your points would come across better if you didn't try to make an equivalence between white washing minority characters and race swapping white characters. No one is gonna take your words to heart because the comparison doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Not even equal numbers, though. I mean, it wouldn't even be so bad if they had even a handful of additional prominent black characters. Black Panther's not even horribly well known outside of nerd circles, and he's among the first (and the first superhero in the major comics, according to Wikipedia). People have accused him of being created specifically in modern times to appeal to a new demo. That's how prominent he is. People who have listed alternatives run out after like two or three, and Night Thrasher comes up quite often (especially around these parts). Now, I like the New Warriors, but they were at best a C-List team and Thrasher was created for them.

Hell, I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not that nobody's suggested Rocket Racer yet. And yes,m I know, he's a Spider-Man character.
Well no, not necessarily equal numbers, but at least more than one on a team. Specifically more than one that isn't a side character. And people probably aren't listing many Black female characters, not that it would create a significant boost in numbers. Lets not even start with how rare Latino and Asian characters are.

It's at a point that unless a writer adds in a super obscure character, or race swaps a less obscure one, that there wouldn't be any racial diversity in any of the marvel movies at all(if you want to count a handful of Black male characters diversity). That's just how homogenous these character's supporting casts are. And considering that a lot of these characters are American(or in Thor's case interacts with Americans) its a shame.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Nothing about Johnny Storm's identity is tied to his race.
I disagree, Johnny Storm's entire personality could accurately be described as 'whitest white boy ever.' I don't have a problem with black Heimdall or other cases where it really doesn't matter, but I would definitely say that Johnny becomes a different character if you change his race. Ben Grimm could be race swapped, or even Reed Richards, but Johnny is so whitebread that I don't think it'd be the same.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
mecegirl said:
Well no, not necessarily equal numbers, but at least more than one on a team. Specifically more than one that isn't a side character. And people probably aren't listing many Black female characters, not that it would create a significant boost in numbers. Lets not even start with how rare Latino and Asian characters are.

It's at a point that unless a writer adds in a super obscure character, or race swaps a less obscure one, that there wouldn't be any racial diversity in any of the marvel movies at all(if you want to count a handful of Black male characters diversity). That's just how homogenous these character's supporting casts are. And considering that a lot of these characters are American(or in Thor's case interacts with Americans) its a shame.
Come to think of it, I'm having trouble naming female black characters in either of the major comics companies. I got Storm, Sillhouette (again, have to go to New Warriors, so...) and...

I admit, I'm not up on comics like I used to be, but yeah. Not a good thing.

Unless they did actually add several prominent black women.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
KATT WILLIAMS!

Chris Rock!

Shaquille O'Niel!

... ok, I could keep making odd guesses, but I'll relent.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Benpasko said:
Mcoffey said:
Nothing about Johnny Storm's identity is tied to his race.
I disagree, Johnny Storm's entire personality could accurately be described as 'whitest white boy ever.' I don't have a problem with black Heimdall or other cases where it really doesn't matter, but I would definitely say that Johnny becomes a different character if you change his race. Ben Grimm could be race swapped, or even Reed Richards, but Johnny is so whitebread that I don't think it'd be the same.
Grim is Jewish. But I have to ask, what traits would you consider "White". Because from what I see, outside of his tendency to be a show off, Johnny doesn't have much of a personality at all. He's a pretty blank slate. Being neutral is just neutral.

Zachary Amaranth said:
mecegirl said:

Come to think of it, I'm having trouble naming female black characters in either of the major comics companies. I got Storm, Sillhouette (again, have to go to New Warriors, so...) and...

I admit, I'm not up on comics like I used to be, but yeah. Not a good thing.

Unless they did actually add several prominent black women.
Off the top of my head they could add Monica Rambeau, who was the first female who took up the name Captain Marvel(She also goes by Spectrum and Photon). She was the first Black female member of the Avengers and did lead them for a time.

But since there are talks of doing a Luke Cage netfix show, Misty Knight, would be really easy to include. She, and her partner Collen Wing(who is half Japanese) were some of the first heroes that Luke Cage interacted with. Really, there should just be a Blaxploitation style film called Heroes for Hire with Cage, Knight, Wing, and Iron Fist. Maybe even add in Shang Chi to round the group out because he hung out with them in the comics, and the MCU could use more Asians.

But outside of her connection with Cage. Misty Knight is an excop who has a bionic arm designed by Reed Richards and later Tony Stark, though I have like no clue why Knight and Stark know each other(its never explained). Its kinda implied that they may have slept together/dated but Stark is a bit of a playboy, so that could be said for a lot of women in the Marvel universe.
http://muccamukk.dreamwidth.org/650955.html
Misty has had an on again off again relationship with Iron Fist, and I don't know why they just don't let them be a full time couple. For a time Misty was Jean Grey's roommate and has worked with Spider man. But the X-Men and Spiderman franchises don't have a connection to the other Marvel movies.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
undeadsuitor said:
Spectrum/Monica Rambeau, who is leading the new Mighty Avengers right now :V

and was also in NEXT WAVE

but other than that yeah
Who I should have remembered, because she used to be Captain Marvel/ Whoops/

Still, yeah, I'm up to three.

mecegirl said:
Knight I don't remember or never came across. Though now that I've said that, I'm sure I'll facepalm in about fifteen minutes and go..."of course!"

Though that means my number has doubled.

I've been told there are several Asian women in X-Men, though as I haven't cared much for the franchise in decades, the names I saw meant nothing to me except Wolverine's Robi...I mean, Jubilee. As far as Hispanics go, I can...name the White Tiger they use in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon....that's about it. Oh, and that other woman who was White Tiger. I'm hoping there are a few more. Even a few. Because that's not many at all.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
mecegirl said:
Knight I don't remember or never came across. Though now that I've said that, I'm sure I'll facepalm in about fifteen minutes and go..."of course!"

Though that means my number has doubled.

I've been told there are several Asian women in X-Men, though as I haven't cared much for the franchise in decades, the names I saw meant nothing to me except Wolverine's Robi...I mean, Jubilee. As far as Hispanics go, I can...name the White Tiger they use in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon....that's about it. Oh, and that other woman who was White Tiger. I'm hoping there are a few more. Even a few. Because that's not many at all.
Knight pops up randomly. Most recently she worked with Valkyrie and Dani Moonstar in the Fearless Defenders book

But yeah, the counting game. That's how it always is with characters from underrepresented groups. Even if you get numbers beyond what you can count on your hands that's only because you have decided to include super obscure characters or side characters.

Kinda like how the numbers are drastically different when you count female characters in video games vs female characters in videogames who have their own franchises.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
I can't find the entire panel but now that I think of it I kinda really want her and Spiderman to be in the MCU just for the possibility of this happening again. I wish I could find the full panel for context. lol

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Sigh. Johnny Storm is a dick. I feel it is a negative move to have his character recast as African American. Really it should have been Reed recast as an African American. The movie will suck regardless. They should have surrendered the IP back to Marvel.

Anyway. Casting Black Panther.

I like Lance Reddick (Daniels from The Wire) sure he would need to bulk up but he has those eyes. Also Noel Clarke could be an interesting choice (Mickey from Dr Who). Another Wire Alumni in Michael K. Williams could have been good, but he would need a good speech coach.

Really I'm just trying to think of someone other than Elba or Ejiofor for the role. That said I think Boseman will do a great job.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
mecegirl said:
Knight pops up randomly. Most recently she worked with Valkyrie and Dani Moonstar in the Fearless Defenders book
Holy crap, I have to check that book out.

...Crap, not available in Kindle format. Very well, Marvel, I shall bide my time....

And holy crap, I forgot about Danielle until then. I haven't seen her in a comic since the 90s.

But yeah, the counting game. That's how it always is with characters from underrepresented groups. Even if you get numbers beyond what you can count on your hands that's only because you have decided to include super obscure characters or side characters.

Kinda like how the numbers are drastically different when you count female characters in video games vs female characters in videogames who have their own franchises.
Or when you have to start counting iconic female characters starting from the 80s to come up with a decent-sized list.

Also, loved the comic panel. Just didn't want to quote that post to simply say that.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Ieyke said:
Idris Elba, ideally, but for whatever stupid nonsensical reason they wasted him on Heimdal, when Heimdal is a Norse God - i.e. what should basically be the whitest people in the universe.
Heimdall is an alien.
From a race of aliens with exactly ONE black guy, and everyone else is white. It makes no sense at all.

Complaints about portrayals of Jesus are many and varied, and all of them meaningless since no one actually has a clue what his theoretical skin color SHOULD be.

For Heimdall it's simple.
We've seen what he's supposed to look like hundreds of times.
Unsurprisingly, he fits in with the rest of his race - a race which fit in amongst the ancient Norse - the whitest of white people in history.

I mean Elba's Heimdall's cool and all, but damn it makes no sense and was a waste of the perfect Black Panther.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ieyke said:
From a race of aliens with exactly ONE black guy, and everyone else is white. It makes no sense at all.
Except that Asian guy. That we've seen. In these specific movies.

I mean, how much do you actually know about the racial makeup of this race of fictional characters specific to this version of this franchise?

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Ieyke said:
Except that Asian guy. That we've seen. In these specific movies.

I mean, how much do you actually know about the racial makeup of this race of fictional characters specific to this version of this franchise?
Hogun's not an Aesir like the other people of Asgard. He's from a far away world that was conquered and devastated and his people wiped out. He met and joined the adventuring Asgardians Fandral and Volstagg, they became the Warriors Three, and he moved to Asgard.