Who's sticking as a PC gamer this generation?

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I have a history for buying a console for one game, but equally not buying a console until that one game comes along so i'm gonna have to hold out...

That X trailer looks pretty sweet if it is a Xenoblade sequel. And Final Fantasy XV....I may just have to buy that whatever its on, even if it is the *wince* Xbone

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Unless I am come in to a large sum of money somehow I wont be buying a next gen console. I am still tempted to buy a PS3 since I have missed out on God of War 3 and the new Ratchet and Clank but other then that I don't see myself buying a new console for many years.

Might get a 3DS if Nintendo ever gets off their ass and makes a new bitchin' Advance Wars game, plus that Animal Crossing looks fun.

Hopefully Steam and Origin make up and I can finally start playing EA games again but I am not holding my breath, I can hardly turn on Origin these days since it tells me I made the mistake of buying Mass Effect 3 every time, BF3 is the only reason I still have the program installed.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I started gaming originally on an Atari, and then a Nintendo. Super NES followed, but I also received a computer around that time and I split my time between the PC and the console. This continued through high school and college (where I got a Playstation) and still yet after graduating, when I got a PS2 and then PS3 when it released. I also picked up a Wii when it was relatively new. Sometimes I'd play on the PC more than the console, other times it was the other way around.

Currently, I rarely use my PC at all and the last game I played on it was Blood Bowl in a league with my friends. We've all gotten busy with life and families, so that has kind of fizzled, and while there are games that interest me (would love to try FTL, for instance), nothing really grabs my attention to the point of buying anything. I've paid for a couple of Humble Bundles and haven't even touched the games I purchased. My PS3, however, gets used every couple of days at the least. Yes, FPS will always be better on a PC, but there are numerous games that just work better with a controller. I can't see playing things like Batman: Arkham Asylum, or Assassin's Creed using a keyboard/mouse.

I intend to purchase a PS4 once there are a few games that I want available on it. I did pay into the Star Citizen kickstarter, as I have really missed space flight sims and I will definitely dust off my PC for that. Maybe some other titles will interest me at that point as well and I will once again split my time between console and PC evenly. Time will tell.

The PS+ requirement for online multiplayer for the PS4 does not bother me in the slightest as I am already paying for it and it is a wonderful program. I don't even play much multiplayer anyway, so I really don't care about it that much, but even if I did and PS+ wasn't required to play online multiplayer, I would still pay for the program. As long as Sony keeps giving PS+ the numerous free games and discounts, I will find it worthwhile. If they stop, then I just won't be playing multiplayer games on the PS4.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
As I have always said, I won't buy a console untill they have the same options as a pc does. But to be fair, let me point out three things that I dislike about the consoles.

1. No open OS:
It's quite basic really, I want to be able to install ANY program and operating system I want on the console.

2. No upgrading:
I want to be able to swap out hardware. If I dislike the standart hardware then I probably want to swap it for something better. Besides, in a year or two that hardware in those "new" consoles will be ancient.

3. No compatability:
I don't care how old a game is, but as long as it is even remotely plausible to make the console backwards compatible then it HAS to be.

What is going to happen in three or four years when the next generation of consoles are being released?

I still play games on my pc that are over a decade old. Who would want to have two or even three consoles just so that they can play the games they own?

Rob Robson

Feb 21, 2013
PC. Not getting any of the consoles.

Initially, that online shooter Ubisoft were showing off looked slightly interesting, until the end where they basically outed themselves as false marketers what with it not being a sandbox game afterall, but a normal online lobby-based game. That took my interest to sub-zero.

But you almost had me, Sony.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
I originally started out a console gamer as a child. When my parents bought me my Xbox360 I thought it was the best gaming device ever conceived. (And I also thought Gamestop was an amazing retailer, I was very blind lol) And I stayed that way until I saw Empire Total War in Game Informer one day. For some reason, it convinced me to get into PC gaming. And since then, I rarely play any of my consoles and for the most part am proud of it. The next generation is only serving to push me farther away. Unfortunately, I have barely any friends that I can game with on PC, so that's a problem; why must they all play on PS3!!! I'm hoping I can meet some more like-minded individuals in college to PC gaming with... but until them I'm forever alone Master Racer.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I've always primarily been a PC gamer. I have a ridiculous amount of 360 games I've barely played and the only game I play consistently is Fifa lol :/

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Hells yeah. Sony charging for online sealed me away.

Let us cling together. We'll weather this storm. *opens arms*

Ratties

May 8, 2013
I stopped caring about PC gaming after 1998. The only games I liked playing on the PC are RTS and FPS. Do my gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo consoles.

Pebblig

Jan 27, 2011
I just built my PC last week, so I'll be sticking with that rather than a new console. I do have a 3DS though.

It runs Battlefield 3 on ultra with full AA at just under 50FPS so I should be good for 2 - 3 years before I'll feel the need to upgrade my GPU =D (Considering I've spent the last 3 years running everything on lowest on my laptop haha).

The PC cost £700, and considering there tends to be a wider, and cheaper range of games for PC I think it's reasonable value. Also the fact that the new consoles are launching at £350-400 (I splashed out another £100 on more RAM, more cores and went for a harddrive that was 1TB bigger, so I suppose it could've been built for just under £600).

Jazzmigo

Oct 26, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:
I have no interest in consoles (besides the humorous wars and drama that they generate), so I guess that applies to me. I don't really upgrade my computer though, haven't since 2009. It still plays most of the games I am interesting in, and I can handle more modern ones on moderate settings no problem. Money is always an issue, too.

On top of that, the real reasons why I haven't bothered with consoles for year is the majority of the games I play are either exclusive to PC or just handle better on PC. Besides, I feel a lot more comfortable with a keyboard and mouse than I do a controller. So there's that, too.

I do enjoy the console wars though. They are fun to watch, seeing all the butthurt and drama and shit.

Absolutely agree!
My PC is now 5 years old and i could still play Metro Last Light on high settings. With the whole steam sales and classics like Final Fantasy 7, PC will never get old for me and what i have seen by now on the E3 i will definitely stick even closer to my Pc.
Lets face it Monster Hunter On-line comes finely to the rest of the world "even if they deny it it will come" so who need other games : )

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
[http://www.examiner.com/article/metal-gear-solid-5-confirmed-for-ps4-new-trailer-and-screens]​

[HEADING=1]So Close to Jumping on to PC[/HEADING]
I did consider a $300 upgrade that would serve my 3 year old PC solid for years to come. That is, until I saw some reviews from Last of Us, and then more trailers from Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain started sprinkling out. And then another startling announcement trounced my hopes altogether.

[http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-assassins-creed-iv-watch-dogs-get-exclusive-ps3-ps4-contenti]​

Watchdogs, and which is coming out on all systems, will have 1+hour of exclusive content only on Playstation systems.

[HEADING=3]More 3rd Party Content Coming to Consoles[/HEADING]

Microsoft & SONY will have their own specialized content, and so PC titles will most likely get the bare-bones version. Ports will be easier to the PC, and they will, but the content won't be the same.

[HEADING=3]SONY Playstation + Service[/HEADING]
This service actually gives a lot for what it charges. Yes, I probably will be getting Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborne MMO on the Playstation 4; but I do think that the SONY Playstation version will have more content and better service because SONY will want people owning this title on their platform.

[http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/10/4417370/final-fantasy-14-a-realm-reborn-coming-to-ps4]​

[HEADING=1]Bottom Line[/HEADING]
PC is cheaper, and looks better. That's all. But more Triple-A's will be coming to Consoles.

[h4]Pictures Have Links[/h4]​

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I am, but that's mostly because I'm not going to have the money nor the time to play on a console. I've just got my laptop and a monstrously underplayed Steam library to keep me happy.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ren_Li said:
I've actually never been a PC gamer- literally the only game I've ever played on PC is Neverwinter Nights. The first one.
But I plan to change that. I can't see that the PS4 will be releasing enough games to justify buying a new console, when I can have a huge selection of PC games available to me, and can use it for other things as well that my old laptop has trouble with.

...That is, assuming I can get old games like NWN, KotOR, etc to run on it. The beauty of console gaming is, for someone who didn't grow up with PCs and doesn't really understand them, there's no worries about tech. Just... pop the disk in and go. The fact that the next gen of consoles has pushed me to the point that learning enough about a PC to know how to upgrade it and how to make it play both old and new games says a lot about what they're doing wrong.

(If that was even coherent.)
Go to gog.com. They sell the oldies in working form.

Steam does the same.

Nowadays, "Install, troubleshoot and play" is mostly a myth.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
def am. that being said, i will likely be buying a ps4 as well. i find it nice to have one console for console exclusives (ie. games like enslaved or deadly premonition) while most games i buy on my pc. that being said, i also plan on upgrading my mobo, cpu, and gpu sometime after next gen hits depending on how well i run the next gen games at launch

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
I've just spent £1400 on a PC build, I'm planning to have a Wii U for as long as it takes me to cane Bayonetta 2, and if my cousin gets the PS4 he's pondering that'll do me for Final Fantasy Next Couple.

Yeah. I've always been a PC gamer first and foremost, although I still don't like Steam (there's still something about going to a shop and buying a boxed game that you just don't get from download services; it's the same reason I still buy CDs). Maybe this'll be the gen where PCs finally give up pretending to box games and I'll have to download everything (my Duke Nukem Forever Balls Of Steel Edition contains everything except a game, which is a Steam download code), but until then I'll still hold out.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
RoBi3.0 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Why would I shell out 400$ for what amounts to a tablet? Because Sony put Final Fantasy on it?

Wow, this maybe be the most hyperbolic statement I have read on the Internet all week. Both PS4 and Xbox one far surpass general tablets in power and gaming functionality. Plus a decent entry level tablet runs around 400 dollars or more depending on brand. Honestly nothing in the above statement makes sense.

OT: I am going to do what I did last generation. I am going to buy consoles and upgrade my PC as it makes sense to do so. Eventually I will end up with every next-gen platform, though I see this taking several year unless I win the lottery.
Half right. A decent entry level tablet would be more like $200, with $400 being pretty high end for an ARM based tablet. The only kind of tablet that goes much over that are high end Windows 8 ones on X86 based hardware.

Well, that and the iPad, but that's because Apple is like Bose; you're paying for the name and the user interface, not the hardware.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
RoBi3.0 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Why would I shell out 400$ for what amounts to a tablet? Because Sony put Final Fantasy on it?

Wow, this maybe be the most hyperbolic statement I have read on the Internet all week. Both PS4 and Xbox one far surpass general tablets in power and gaming functionality. Plus a decent entry level tablet runs around 400 dollars or more depending on brand. Honestly nothing in the above statement makes sense.

OT: I am going to do what I did last generation. I am going to buy consoles and upgrade my PC as it makes sense to do so. Eventually I will end up with every next-gen platform, though I see this taking several year unless I win the lottery.
Half right. A decent entry level tablet would be more like $200, with $400 being pretty high end for an ARM based tablet. The only kind of tablet that goes much over that are high end Windows 8 ones on X86 based hardware.

Well, that and the iPad, but that's because Apple is like Bose; you're paying for the name, not the hardware.
Fair enough. I don't pay much attention to the lower end of tablets.