Who's sticking as a PC gamer this generation?

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
For years has been some kind of console as well, PC + N64, PC + PS2 (No Gamecube though, should have, but didn't), PC + PS3 (Wii as well, repaired a XBox 360 from RRoD, but it was just collecting dust, not worth it last gen, certainly not worth being XBoned this gen), I don't think I will be breaking the trend, PC + a Playstation is the ultimate gaming combo, so PC + PS4 and likely a Wii-U.

Torque2100

Nov 20, 2008
I'm with OP on this one. Unless the next console generation manages to absolutely WOW me in some way, I'm going to take the money I would have spent on an XBox One and instead put that towards a nice new MSI Gaming Laptop.

This console generation is headed for a disaster which just might kill the industry as we know it. That, I would argue is a good thing. We need to clear the field so a new generation can re-build. Just like happened in 1983 with the Video Game Crash. I mean, look at what came out of that. The NES and Super Mario.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
All that money I could spend on a next-generation console? That money will literally buy me hundreds of AAA and indie PC games.

No reason to switch in the past, no reason to switch in the future.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I generally play PC and consoles, but I might be skipping the next gen, consoles. I may get a WiiU at some point, but that's only if they make games that interest me. Playstation hadn't made any games I've wanted to play since the PS1, so I might not be giving the PS4 a second look. I have a Xbox 360, but their new system sounds too restrictive for me and my international friends, so I'll be skipping them entirely unless they get their act together. I use to be an exclusive console player until the games I liked to play began to dry up (colorful, light-hearted platformers; Sonic, Banjo-Kazooie, etc). So I turned to PC games which offered more than the consoles were offering. I played with friends, found Steam, and was hooked ever since. Especially with their sales.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I've been a PC gamer ever since I bought one back in 2000 when I finally left my Sega Mega Drive 2.

It was and still is an awesome experience to play with a mouse & keyboard for ultimate precision and keybindings. I have recently bought a x360 controller to play Dark Souls PC edition, because I was playing it before all the fixes for mouse smoothing/camera were released.

I also tried just for laughs to play Black Ops 2 with a controller and I was failing miserably. The camera look is so sketchy and slow, I can't believe they made an esports out of it, I find it rather strange from the get go.

I will be sticking to the PC 'till the better end. Most of the games nowadays are multi platform which I cannot thank developers enough for not alienating their PC demographic (some of them still do). I may miss on some awesome exclusives on both consoles, but that is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
I will be sticking to PC until there aren't any decent games being made for it anymore, and those times look far off at the moment, what with lots of multiplatform games or ports, lots of great indies, the coming influx of Kickstarter games, and a few big-budget genres that are still frequently PC exclusive, like strategy and MMOs.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
After my Dreamcast I was a PC exclusive gamer for a long time. It was Microsoft and Bioware that got me back into console gaming with the 360 and Mass Effect.

Everything I read about both the Xbox One and PS4 just make them seem like rather restricted PCs.

So given that the convenience side of the consoles has gone, with required installs, the only advantage left is lower initial purchase price and to be honest I'd rather put the cash into my PC.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Sticking with PC, all I need to do is buy a new processor, and maybe a new GPU in a couple of years, and that shouldn't be any more expensive to do than buy a retail Xbone. (Plus once I find my old PS2 I can finally put that emulator on)

Edit: Also, the Oculus Rift looks just too cool to pass up if I can find at a bargain price.

Andrew Klaver

Jun 13, 2013
I will get a PS3 at launch, if only for God of War/Uncharted/Sly/Killzone/LittleBigPlanet titles and projects like The Order:1886. Beyond that the majority of gaming I do is on MOBAs or emulating Gamcube/PS2 titles on PC. So for the most part it will be a nice accent to my gaming options but will probably come second to my PC habits

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I'm doing the same thing I've done since the SNES era:

Nintendo Console + PC...

It's what I've always done, and very little has ever convinced me otherwise, except possibly at some points in the past, Final Fantasy (though a bit doubtful these days)...

In fact, the only temptation I've ever really had for other consoles has been the bulk of JRPG's on Sony's systems...
Might get a PS2 soon... ;p

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I have remained on the PC side since at least 2000, but consoles are a very minor part for gaming for me.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Well for the next few years I'm going to be putting gaming on hold (being in the military plus trying to go to school while I'm in there means I'm gonna be busy) but when I get out I'm building myself a new PC and its gonna kick major ass. I might get a used PS4 just for a few exclusives and local multiplayer with my buddies but that's it, and only if I can get it for ~$150.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
After this E3, I am switching to PC gaming, and possibly buy a PS4 a couple years down the line, when they have proven they were on the right about this whole always-online system.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
hermes200 said:
After this E3, I am switching to PC gaming, and possibly buy a PS4 a couple years down the line, when they have proven they were on the right about this whole always-online system.
What? The PS4 isn't always online...

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Korten12 said:
hermes200 said:
What? The PS4 isn't always online...
Exactly, and I sure hope it stays that way.

However, I will still wait a couple years to see if Sony gives up to publishers pressure or publishers give up on the whole idea and don't drop support on the console. If that is the case, I will buy into the next generation. I am cynic like that...

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
Been a PC gamer since playing blockout on my father's XT.

I've checked the spec and to be honest my year old Game rig bashes the PS4 with ease. AMD 8150 running on 4ghz/core and a GTX680 (meaning to up that to something better). Sure it wins on ram perhaps, but don't forget they're still running on x86 architecture.
One of both console big points... 60FPS!!! Eeeh... right... Moving along.

Unlike the PS3 that had the Cell Processor this generation will be obsolete by the time they hit the stores proper (With a decent amount of games).
I will add that PS4 does the smart move about Internet Uplink Requirements but it's sony so we'll see it when it is actually finished...

All this aside I would have thought them both if they'd had Backwards Compatibility. That would have been a great selling point because my PC doesn.... Pffff XD sorry. Excuse me will I open my GoG account.

As for the Dev kit's running on console specs... That's a load of bull they have to up the power to handle the resolutions. I mean they've finally managed to handle 1920x1080 60fps if only barely. (Oh the 4K HD is only for photographs.)

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Multi platform (master race) gamer here and I've recently had a new rig built but I'm not exactly thrilled with anticipation of the build at all seeing as how I'm not very knowledgeable in hardware shopping and I don't like outside help of any kind ( I want to learn my own way which in this case almost means never).

With that said this gen I'll mostly be going with the rig that's been built and go for a WII U and PS4 early next year and ride them out for what they have to offer because I'd rather not bar myself off from everything else gaming has to offer to just one platform and I mostly prefer controller gaming on a console anyway.

The price point of the PS4 and Wii U aren't exactly terrible in my eyes and I can start saving bit by bit for the two of them and they will eventually pay themselves off for myself when I get around to expanding the library while choosing a small few games for PC.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Even though I've owned a console (or two) from every generation going back to the Atari 2600, 98% of my gaming time is on the PC. I doubt I'll skip this generation entirely, but I certainly won't be picking one up at launch. Might wait for the first redesign or price drop.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Oh defiantly sticking to PC, but... I have people who come to my mountain top for recommendations. (My parents and their friends) So I still have to make a call regardless of my apathy to consoles.