Who's your favorite samurai?

SHIFTYMACO

Oct 27, 2010
Ogami Ittō, Otherwise known as Lone wolf with cub. (From the movie not the TV show)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihtRPJ2t6RA

100% Real Samurai, Not your smug looking, sunglasses wearing posers.

His awesomeness was so great that Samurai Jack Himself got his inspiration from seeing him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w-KgeADZ8s

Hitokiri_Gensai

Jul 17, 2010
hm... in terms of "Realistic" samurai, id have to say Ogami Itto, from Kozure Okami.

in terms of "fantasy" samurai, probably Mibu Kyoshiro, the "Samurai Demon God" from Samurai Deeper Kyo.

in terms of film samurai, Tomisaburo Wakayama, as Ogami Itto, in the film adaption of Kozure Okami.

in terms of real samurai, i take a lot of inspiration from the men of the Shinsengumi from the 1860's particularly Kondo Isami and Hijikata Toshizou.

As well, from the Takasugi Shinsaku, who formed and led the anti shogunate group, the Kiheitai.

DexterNorgam

Jul 16, 2011
Deus mortuus est said:
Kenshin, of course. The only one here who could beat Saito Hajime, mentioned above, and Satio is a real badass.

Its quite debatable if Kenshin really could have. At best they fought to a draw, and Saito still had a few tricks up his sleeve that I'm not sure Kenshin ever knew about, like the Zero Stance...

Swordsmanship aside, Saito never quibbled or nancy'd about with any hesitation to kill evil immediately. He's infinitely more bad ass than Kenshin.

If swordsmanship were the only metric I was using it would clearly have been Kenshin's teacher who could soundly whoop Kenshin.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009

...though you'll have to forgive his fairly terrible fashion sense

Not sure whether he's a follower of Bushido though, being a villain(ous protagonist) utterly consumed with his desire to face his rival and all.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Hitokiri_Gensai said:
in terms of real samurai, i take a lot of inspiration from the men of the Shinsengumi from the 1860's particularly Kondo Isami and Hijikata Toshizou.
See, of the Shinsengumi, I'm inclined to go for Okita Souji, for the prodigious swordsmanship, tragic life cut short (by tuberculosis) and Mumyo-ken. Who else came up with and mastered a technique of cutting off both of an enemy's arms and his head in one strike Sandantsuki (IRL, that is, before I get hit with fictional examples).

Deus mortuus est

Apr 26, 2011
DexterNorgam said:
Deus mortuus est said:
Kenshin, of course. The only one here who could beat Saito Hajime, mentioned above, and Satio is a real badass.

Its quite debatable if Kenshin really could have. At best they fought to a draw, and Saito still had a few tricks up his sleeve that I'm not sure Kenshin ever knew about, like the Zero Stance...

Swordsmanship aside, Saito never quibbled or nancy'd about with any hesitation to kill evil immediately. He's infinitely more bad ass than Kenshin.

If swordsmanship were the only metric I was using it would clearly have been Kenshin's teacher who could soundly whoop Kenshin.
That's why I said could, not would ;)
Once Kenshin learned Kuzu-ryūsen and Amakakeru Ryū no Hirameki to defeat Shishio I don't think that Satio could have defeated him.
Of the two I think that Kenshin is more badass, mostly because he chills out until he really needs to kick ass. Saito seems a bit too tense for my taste. And Kenshin's teacher is an alcoholic, which is not very cool.

yizelin

Jun 20, 2011
Arctarus said:
It's definitely Samurai Jack. Going into different dimensions and 100% level headedness in all situations.

*Pony related sentence in spoiler. Read at your own risk*
Or if someone makes it "Samurai Applejack".
Here ya go :p

For film I'd pick any of the Seven Samurai, for anime I'd go for Samurai Champloo.

Euryptus

May 4, 2011
Blue Horn said:
Zatoichi the Blind-swordsman (The original, not the 2003 reboot)
Good call ! Had forgotten about Zatoichi. I have brought shame upon my house and family.