Who's your favorite samurai?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I got a few favourites like the guys from Samurai Champloo, the guys from the anime Samurai 7 (sorry I haven't seen the film yet) and Afro. However my favourite is Jack.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Zhou Tai comes to mind. His mass murder skills far surpass most.
My DW4 custom character Wang Pu is a murder maker from way back.

The guy defending the wall with the spear in this video is a beast:

Can't deny little miss kill a lot in a yellow jumpsuit, Beatrice Kiddo from Kill Bill.

Bruce Lee trumps all. This is unarguable.

Cybele

Jun 7, 2010
thegamermn said:
I reject your anime, movies, and tv, and give you Miyamoto Musashi [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi]
I personally prefer the manga version:

Oh, and one shouldn't forget Manji from Blade of the Immortal:

Gorobrin

Mar 16, 2011
Without a doubt, Mifune from Soul Eater. But I i don't really know any realistic samurai's...

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
The_State said:
Saltyk said:
No mention of Miyamoto Musashi? Considered to have been one of the greatest samurai that ever lived. A man who won his first duel at the age of 13. Who defeated an entire school single handedly. Who created his own style of dual wielding techniques. Who beat Sasaki Kojiro in a duel and then escaped his followers attacks using the receding tide to his advantage. A man said to have won over 100 duels.

Okay, so he's a real samurai, but how did we get this far without him being mentioned? He's been in games, movies, anime, and there's even an (incomplete) manga based on his life.

EDIT: Damn. Someone finally mentioned him while I was reading and then replying.
thegamermn said:
I reject your anime, movies, and tv, and give you Miyamoto Musashi [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi]
You're no samurai! You're a ninja!
Except for the whole part where Musashi wasn't a samurai, and absolutely refused the notion of service to any lord as a vassal. Of course, we're apparently allowing characters like Himura Kenshin and Mugen to be considered samurai, so I've no place to complain.

Anyway, my vote is for Hattori Hanzo.
If you want to be technical, he was a Ronin. He was still an incredibly skilled swordsman. And he did try to enter a few lords services and even did serve a few for small periods of time. He was apparently largely respected by even some thought to be his enemies.

Of course, we could also refer to him as a writer or an artist. He was renowned for that as well. Let's just say that Musashi was just too much bad-ass for any lord to handle.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Jakub324 said:
Katsumoto from the Last Samauri because... well, he's just that awseome.
This. The movie would be mediocre at best without him, but he lifts it up with his awe-inspiring performance. Ken Watanabe is fucking awesome.

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
Samurai Jack is freaking awesome.

I also like the Steel Samurai just because of the awesome theme song:

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Realitycrash said:

..Did I mention he can bend time and space?
Call me a retard and whatnot, but I have no idea who that is. Enlighten me please. =)

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
Euryptus said:
Gorōbei Katayama from Kurosawa's Seven Samurai.

Though any of the band qualify. If you haven't seen the film yet - do so.

That is all.
While I agree, being the stereotypical *insert insult here* that I am, I prefer Kyuzo:

I agree. No one can beat Kyuzo.
Sorry the video is in spanish, it was the only one I could find.

A runner up is Zatoichi, the blind samurai. I watched that movie in my freshman japanese class. T'was awesome.

JKain

Mar 15, 2011
Kuwabatake Sanjuro from Kurosawa's "Yojimbo"

As for a "modern samurai" I as well vote for...
Rawne1980 said:
Ghost Dog...Story of a Samurai by choice and the Mafia...doesnt't get any more awesome than that.
Best Jim Jarmusch-Film by far imo