Why are some people upset over the boodborne pc petition?

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Doom972 said:
Aerosteam said:
Pretty sure if I bought a PS4, solely to play Bloodborne, then find out that I didn't need to do that in the first place, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Calling the petition "disgusting" though? Nah, more like "useless".
Why would someone buy a PS4 for a single exclusive? I assume that if someone gets a certain gaming platform, he would buy it based on its own merits rather than exclusives, which could go multi-platform at any time.

Why do you think that the petition is useless? It worked for Dark Souls so well that they ported the original and decided to make a PC version of the sequel from the get-go.
Exclusives are the major determining factor in which platform to use for a lot of (I'm pretty sure it's most but I don't have stats to quote) people. It doesn't matter which gaming platform is technically better if you don't want to play the games available on it. Some games that are "exclusive" could go multi-platform later down the line but they probably won't and then you have to wait.
However buying a PS4 for a single exclusive is is pretty extreme. You need more than that for it to be worth it but if someone wanted TLOU, Uncharted, Journey and/or other exclusive as well as Bloodborne this might be enough to get them to decide to buy it.

Bloodborne is different to Dark Souls because Dark Souls was published by Bandai Namco while Bloodborne is published by Sony who also own the PS4 so have reason to want it to stay exclusive.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Doom972 said:
Aerosteam said:
Pretty sure if I bought a PS4, solely to play Bloodborne, then find out that I didn't need to do that in the first place, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Why would someone buy a PS4 for a single exclusive? I assume that if someone gets a certain gaming platform, he would buy it based on its own merits rather than exclusives, which could go multi-platform at any time.

Why do you think that the petition is useless? It worked for Dark Souls so well that they ported the original and decided to make a PC version of the sequel from the get-go.
I know some people who like the Souls games enough that they would buy a console for it. It's stupid, I know.

And I think it's useless because Sony is entirely publishing and distributing Bloodborne. They had no hand in Dark Souls, that's why it made it to PC. From a legal stand point, I don't think it will happen.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Well, guess I shall have to borrow a friends console or something, cause I sure as shit don't have a PS4 to play it on and I will play this game one way or another.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
People laugh at the petition because the tagline has "Personalized Computing platform" in it.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
The more people play it, the better! And this is coming from a ranging Playstation fanboy.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Coz I never see the reverse! Where's the petition to get Neverwinter Nights, or Baldur's gate, or Total War, or some decent PC ports? Yeah PCs are stronger than consoles but how many games require more than a console can generate?
But seriously, I don't know. Just irritated there's not really any decent RTSes, and D&D games on consoles, or hand helds.

Captcha: cubic spline
Sounds familiar, but I don't remember.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
camazotz said:
There is exactly one reason we won't see Bloodborne, Halo or Gears of War (or Uncharted, Last of Us, or others) on the PC: consoles need exclusives to sell consoles (and subscriptions to their services). Currently the latest generation is really short on exclusives right now, so they really can't afford to let Bloodborne go PC.
Except platform exclusivity can also harm sales.

And given Sony's extensive unit sales on PS4s, I can't help but think releasing the game on a platform that isn't a direct competitor would only help the game's sales and Sony's image. (the latter of which can lead to the possibility of further PS4 sales)

Still, platform exclusivity is almost assuredly the primary reason the game won't make it to any PC platform.

As for these console fanbois having a heart attack at the petition...I...hmmm. Woops spent too much time browsing the forums tonight, I appear to be all out of shits to give.
They threw the exact same juvenile hissy-fit when PC gamers started a petition to convince Rockstar there was a market for GTA 4 on PC. Hell, some started a fucking counter-petition to plead with Rockstar to not code a PC port.

It was some extraordinarily petty bullshit. And, ironically, was fed on a smug sense of superiority from the console players.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
From the view of one who used to be a console gamer, I understand completely where there coming from. They have to put up with PC gamers being snobs towards their lower-form of gaming. Hearing them use words like "hostage" to describe exclusives. Hearing them brag about whatever minor factor they best consoles in. It would feel pretty damn good to flip them the bird when they can't play the latest From Software game.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Aerosteam said:
That's class A butthurt. I've had plenty of console exclusives come on PC later without my knowledge. Some games I really would have enjoyed playing on PC come out without throwing a tantrum on level with a icecream-less 4 year old.

Gamers. Everything is the biggest deal ever.

13e thr33

Apr 22, 2011
ffronw said:
It's a very similar attitude to the one you see displayed in most MMOs when content gets nerfed or made easier to access. "Oh, they removed the keying requirements from Tempest Keep, now everyone is getting welfare epics and cheapening our awesomeness."

There's a definite attitude among some folks that they can't enjoy their games unless they're actively lording something over other players while they do it.
I think you misunderstand the point of difficulty in a rpg.

Difficulty adds to the experience, you remember a boss fight because it was tough not because it was shiny, you remember the pain of wiping more then the victory itself, nerfing content means the people who get to see it now, no longer get to experience it.

And also the gear level drops (more people with the same gear means that gear is worth less, eve online is a prime example of the value of items based on accessibility), so eventually they will have to release a new gear level, because everyone has the previous one due to the nerf, and it starts all over again.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Rebel_Raven said:
Coz I never see the reverse! Where's the petition to get Neverwinter Nights, or Baldur's gate, or Total War, or some decent PC ports? Yeah PCs are stronger than consoles but how many games require more than a console can generate?
But seriously, I don't know. Just irritated there's not really any decent RTSes, and D&D games on consoles, or hand helds.

That's because of control issues. Those games would require a complete interface overhaul and dumbing down to work with console controllers. The fact that these games are heavy on text is also a problem since reading walls of text is easy on a monitor, but hard on a TV on the other side of the room. I recall the PS1 having a mouse for RTS games, and that it was a failure.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
00slash00 said:
So the inevitable petition to get Bloodborne on PC showed up, even though I don't think anyone ever expects it to happen. What surprises me though, is how many people are upset about there being a petition at all. I've seen a lot of console gamers posting about how "disgusting" it is that people want a PC port. I don't really understand why anyone would care if they made a port and it almost just seems like they want to have something to hold over the heads of people who only play on PC. I certainly wouldn't call it "disgusting" to want to be able to play a game, without having to buy a whole new console just to play that single game. I haven't bought a PS4 because frankly, it hasn't had any games that interested me until now, and I'm wrestling with whether or not it's worth it to pay close to $500 for a single game. I know it won't ever be ported to PC but it sure would be nice. But I just don't see why anyone cares if some people want to chase an impossible dream. Even if hell froze over and it came to PC, it wouldn't affect the PS4 version any
You answered your own question. The whole "master race" thing isn't an attitude exclusive to PC gamers, as shown here. When consoles get something that PC doesn't, then console gamers can be just as obnoxious about it.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Doom972 said:
Rebel_Raven said:

That's because of control issues. Those games would require a complete interface overhaul and dumbing down to work with console controllers. The fact that these games are heavy on text is also a problem since reading walls of text is easy on a monitor, but hard on a TV on the other side of the room. I recall the PS1 having a mouse for RTS games, and that it was a failure.
But we have USB capable consoles now. It's not a huge problem to plug a mouse and keyboard in.
The ps4 has a touch pad about the size of my laptop touchpad.

I'd like to think that gaming has evolved from the limitations of a ps1. :p

The 3ds has a touch screen, and close proximity would make it easier to read the text.

Reading text is kinda case by case, and I grant you there might be problems depending. Playing DCUO, and other high def games on an SD screen was hard enough in terms of reading the text.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Because people love their precious exclusives, makes them feel special. Now if you just take that preciousness around to anyone shit isn't so precious any more, and those who felt special with it aren't the snowflakes they once were.
This is pretty much platform wars front line territory.

But so we are clear that petition was written by a spoiled child who manages to throw a tantrum within two sentences. No one in their right mind should sing that, and no publishers will consider it when that is your approach.
And yes there is an equally childish "Don't port Bloodborne" petition.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Rebel_Raven said:
Doom972 said:
Rebel_Raven said:

But we have USB capable consoles now. It's not a huge problem to plug a mouse and keyboard in.
The ps4 has a touch pad about the size of my laptop touchpad.

I'd like to think that gaming has evolved from the limitations of a ps1. :p

The 3ds has a touch screen, and close proximity would make it easier to read the text.

Reading text is kinda case by case, and I grant you there might be problems depending. Playing DCUO, and other high def games on an SD screen was hard enough in terms of reading the text.
MS, Sony and Nintendo enforce certain standards when publishers want to publish new games for their consoles. One of these standards is that those games would work with that console's standard controller or motion control. With the amount of changes they would have to make to what is already an old game that most of its target audience had already played, it would cost them much more money than they would make from selling it.

As for control limitations for consoles - consoles haven't evolved much since the days of the PS1 in that regard. Plugging in a mouse still isn't considered a solution.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
LegendOfLufia said:
Zhukov said:
Oh, you know what gamers on the internet are like.

Monumentally petty bunch. Can't enjoy something unless they can do so in a manner that makes them feel better than someone else.

It happens whenever there's talk of an exclusive game going multi-platform. The owners of the exclusive promptly start whining up a storm, coming up with all sorts of justifications to try and hide the fact that they're upset at the thought of their purchasing decisions being rendered that little bit less special.

Plus, you're dealing with the Dark Souls fanbase here, a particularly odious mob. These are the people who risk rupturing their spleens in outrage at the mere thought of an easy difficulty setting. It wouldn't affect their own play, but the notion that more people might finish the game is enough to ruin their lunch. Once again, it makes their own achievement that little bit less special. Same deal with the idea of a multi-platform release, except in that case the "achievement" being cheapened is "owning a PS4".

That said, given the woeful state of the PC port for Dark Souls, I'm not sure the PC crowd is missing much. From Software clearly couldn't port their way out of a paper bag. Last time some solo modder stepped in and cleaned up their miserable mess with less than 24 hours work.
Didn't from software say they didn't know how to make PC games BEFORE porting dark souls? Also wasn't from software completly shat on AFTER the released the PC port that gamers DEMANDED? Also if memory serves the EXACT same thing happened with Dark souls 2?

As far as i'm conserned , PC gamers don't deserve a port for the reasons stated above. Also they don't know how. I wouldn't make a Pianist play a guitar just like i wouldn't make a console developper make a PC game.

Anyways that's how i remember it. If i'm wrong let me know.
People asked for it through petitions, not hold FromSoftware at gunpoint. If the port sucked, then that is FS' fault and they deserve to be scrutinised because they chose to release a pc port. Yes, they were asked to port it by many people, but they still had the final say if they wanted to make a port or not.

Besides, they ported DS to xbox 360 as well: you'd think they'd have slightly more experience or skill in porting to standard architectures: if the game were ps3 exclusive, then yeah, we might encounter some issues due to Cell architecture, but this wasn't the sort of herculean task that they made it out to be.

I mean, look at Dark Souls 2: significantly better port job with only a few problems. Porting now, from a x64 architecture(the PS4) to another machine with the same architecture doesn't seem that crazy. Especially since I doubt that FS were pushing the hardware to its absolute limits like they did with Dark Souls on the ps3 & 360.

OT: People are upset because reasons.

If I wanted to kid, it's because the ps4 players don't want to be emasculated by having someone beat Bloodborne using a drumkit like the last time XD

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
LegendOfLufia said:
Zhukov said:
As far as i'm conserned , PC gamers don't deserve a port for the reasons stated above.
Please, let's not pretend the PC port of Dark Souls was some kind of charity act. The petition showed that there is a market for Dark Souls on the PC and From Software tried to serve that market. PC gamers (and all gamers alike) don't need to deserve anything, because they pay for the games.

Regarding the petition: I don't mind it, in fact I would be happy if it was succsessful, but as the games is being funded by Sony it is nearly impossible that Bloodborne will come to the PC.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Aerosteam said:

basically this. its people trying to justify their expenses whichever way they can. we are built to do this to lower regret amount to help us move on into the world. Howeer this sometimes backfire when the deicision is actually bad but not dangerous, meaning that people will end up defending it with whatever illogical tactics they can come up with.