Why are The Witcher 2 fans so defensive?

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Aprilgold said:
And how is it a "Adult themed world." Because you can get boob and ass shots?
I'd say it's mature *despite* the boob and ass shots, not because of them. Basically, the characters and interactions thereof, story, strategy aspect of gameplay, and writing are all held up to a higher standard than the vast majority of games I've played. Basically think the HBO version of Game of Thrones - mature, complex, well-told story with gratuitous nudity kind of dragging it down.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
remnant_phoenix said:
Question A:

I haven't played the game myself and I likely won't, but from what I understand, frustrations with the game are born out of the lack of a tutorial, i.e. "I kept dying because I didn't know how to effectively use the controls."

In response, TW2 fans say, "Why don't you read the journal? Why don't you look it up? Do you need your hand held all the time?"

How is this different from people playing The Witcher 2 and getting frustrated because they feel they shouldn't have to "look stuff up" to have a basic enjoyment for the game?
Are we really so lazy that we cant play a game that doesn't hold our hand through a tutorial every time we want to play?
I remember when games did not have tutorials, they were great games and you were expected to read the manual or figure it out your self. And if you died because you were too lazy to read the manual that was your fault.

Derogatory comment about the mindless of most modern games and consoletards.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
Great game design will integrate tutorials in-game without a need to lug an actual manual around just to find out how to mix potions. ***** on how we're "lazy" etc but the point of a game is to quickly teach you the basics and at the very least, TELL you how to utilize your various skills before dumping you into a fight without any tips or helps. This is poor game design on the pretense of being "tough" and "mature".

We're not asking that CDPR hold our hands in every single second but instead teach us the basics within the game and THEN leave us to our fate.

Look at Assassin Creed 2 as whenever you receive a new item, the game will integrate a tutorial within the gameplay without breaking immersion. THAT is good game design.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Savber said:
Great game design will integrate tutorials in-game without a need to lug an actual manual around just to find out how to mix potions. ***** on how we're "lazy" etc but the point of a game is to quickly teach you the basics and at the very least, TELL you how to utilize your various skills before dumping you into a fight without any tips or helps. This is poor game design on the pretense of being "tough" and "mature".

We're not asking that CDPR hold our hands in every single second but instead teach us the basics within the game and THEN leave us to our fate.

Look at Assassin Creed 2 as whenever you receive a new item, the game will integrate a tutorial within the gameplay without breaking immersion. THAT is good game design.
You would not like Super Metroid then haha. Or Minecraft :p

CDProjekt did fix the prologue difficulty in their latest patch, although IMO a lot of that difficulty stems from people not knowing how flexible their options are. They really should patch in a tutorial as a separate option from the main game, because the way the main game dumps you in the action is awesome but the way it doesn't give a hand to people who don't know the game's toolkit is not.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
the tutorial sucked, but im one of few people that remember the old saying "read the fucking manual". saying the tutorial sucked and turned you off from the game is a valid complaint; it really didnt need to be so hard, and its understandable if you didnt care to proceed. i pushed through and i dont regret it, but if you didnt, it doesnt mean your stupid or not a real gamer, it just means you thought a game starting off with such bullshit difficulty isnt worth it.

the ZP review was the same as any other ZP review; taking the problems of the game and cranking them up to eleven in yahtzee's own particular brand of humour. he didnt like the original, so i dont know why anyone would be surprised by his review; he would bash it even if he did like it ffs, its what he does.

but of course, the witcher 2 is the only AAA RPG that tries to appeal to adults and not to housewives and children in recent memory, AND its made for the PC, so that alone is probably worth defending with blind absolution :p

ive only played a bit at a friends house cause my PC sucks, but once i FINALLY upgrade, the witcher 2 is a definite buy for me. i love it; its not perfect, and has some pretty serious problems, but for its me worth it. in the same way that 2001: a space odyssey is really fucking slow but still an amazing movie; the witcher 2 is a stinking bullshit cheater sometimes but still an amazing game.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
mjc0961 said:
Snowalker said:
Well, you see, this is a AAA PC *only* game, so PC gamers have to defend it, because AAA games just aren't coming around as often as they used to.
Except it's not, because it's coming to 360 (and maybe PS3) as well. So if that's why people are falling over themselves to defend it so vehemently, they can stop now.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110856-E3-Witcher-2-Xbox-360
Yeah, I know, but I still think that's why its got such a head-strong fanbase, I mean, honestly, don't PC gamers strike you as pretentious? I mean, I'm one of them and even I admit they'll argue over this kinda stuff till the end of time. Besides, I won't believe its coming to consoles until the day of release, cause they pulled the same shit with the last Witcher.
Halo fans? Metal Gear fans? Call of Duty fans? Dragon Age fans?

Fans are fans regardless of platform, stop trying to associate that attitude to PC gamers.
Because being pretentious is ok is everyone else is doing it? I wasn't saying PC gamers are the only ones doing it, I'm saying the arrogant attitude they have is likely the cause of this particular problem.
"I wasn't saying PC gamers are the only ones doing it"

"I mean, honestly, don't PC gamers strike you as pretentious?"

No, but you were stating that this a attitude particularly common among all PC gamers. Nice backtracking tho.
I wasn't backtracking, I'm being honest, All fans defend their shit, but PC gamers have the pretentious attitude as if "Well, you're a simpleton, you wouldn't understand the finer tastes of good game making." While other fans are just "Why don't you like it? Its obviously the best thing ever, are you stupid?"

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Darknacht said:
remnant_phoenix said:
Question A:

I haven't played the game myself and I likely won't, but from what I understand, frustrations with the game are born out of the lack of a tutorial, i.e. "I kept dying because I didn't know how to effectively use the controls."

In response, TW2 fans say, "Why don't you read the journal? Why don't you look it up? Do you need your hand held all the time?"

How is this different from people playing The Witcher 2 and getting frustrated because they feel they shouldn't have to "look stuff up" to have a basic enjoyment for the game?
Are we really so lazy that we cant play a game that doesn't hold our hand through a tutorial every time we want to play?
I remember when games did not have tutorials, they were great games and you were expected to read the manual or figure it out your self. And if you died because you were too lazy to read the manual that was your fault.

Derogatory comment about the mindless of most modern games and consoletards.
The last game I remember playing where I NEEDED to look something up in the game manual to know how to play was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (published 1997), a game that is infamous for giving you abilities and then giving you no clue how to use them. Gaining a new ability was along the lines of...

Game: "You gained the Echo of Bat relic"
Me: Okay, what does that do? Let me look at it in my relic inventory...
Game: "Allows bat sonar to see in dark places"
Me: Oh! Cool! Now I'll go back to that place where I had to turn around because of the darkness. (gets back to that place, turns into a bat) Why isn't my sonar working? I still can't see...

===

Every Castlevania since has had a little one-sentence pop-up instruction along the lines of...

Game: "You gained the Echo of Bat relic. Press O while in bat form to use sonar."

...because most would agree that the SotN way of doing it was just poorer game design.

===

If you LIKE games that don't have in-game tutorials, fine. If you believe that in-game tutorials of ANY KIND are tantamount to "hand-holding" and "dumbing down," fine, that's your opinion. I will agree that many modern games overdo it; that the in-game tutorials can become annoying, overbearing, and unnecessary, and the inability to turn them off if you wish is inexcusable.

But as someone who has been gaming on all platforms (including PC) since the days of needing to study the manual before diving into the game, I say that moving to a place where we never need to look in the manual to play a game is progressive game design. I say that in this day and age, requiring the player to remove their self from the game experience to "look up basic controls" is a poor game design decision.

And you know what? The majority of the gaming world agrees with me. Doesn't make us "right" per se, but it does mean that at least basic in-game instruction is the socialized standard of modern gaming. You can hate it and rail against it if you want, but that's the way it is, and I personally wouldn't want it any other way.

Zeriu

Jun 9, 2011
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
mjc0961 said:
Snowalker said:
Well, you see, this is a AAA PC *only* game, so PC gamers have to defend it, because AAA games just aren't coming around as often as they used to.
Except it's not, because it's coming to 360 (and maybe PS3) as well. So if that's why people are falling over themselves to defend it so vehemently, they can stop now.

Yeah, I know, but I still think that's why its got such a head-strong fanbase, I mean, honestly, don't PC gamers strike you as pretentious? I mean, I'm one of them and even I admit they'll argue over this kinda stuff till the end of time. Besides, I won't believe its coming to consoles until the day of release, cause they pulled the same shit with the last Witcher.

Fans are fans regardless of platform, stop trying to associate that attitude to PC gamers.
Because being pretentious is ok is everyone else is doing it? I wasn't saying PC gamers are the only ones doing it, I'm saying the arrogant attitude they have is likely the cause of this particular problem.

No, but you were stating that this a attitude particularly common among all PC gamers. Nice backtracking tho.
I wasn't backtracking, I'm being honest, All fans defend their shit, but PC gamers have the pretentious attitude as if "Well, you're a simpleton, you wouldn't understand the finer tastes of good game making." While other fans are just "Why don't you like it? Its obviously the best thing ever, are you stupid?"
I see no difference because there is no difference. You just paint PC gamers as arrogant while simultaneously judging them. Trying to be modest always fails because you're saying "fuck that arrogant twat! Can't he be more modest like me?"

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Zeriu said:
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
mjc0961 said:
Snowalker said:

I see no difference because there is no difference. You just paint PC gamers as arrogant while simultaneously judging them. Trying to be modest always fails because you're saying "fuck that arrogant twat! Can't he be more modest like me?"
Who said I was trying to be modest? I said I'm being honest, and the only way to be honest is to believe what you say is true, and to be true you have to know the truth. And since no man can truly know the truth, one has to be arrogant to say their being entirely honest. And as I said, I'm a PC gamer, and I'm arrogant as hell.

Zeriu

Jun 9, 2011
Snowalker said:
Zeriu said:
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
mjc0961 said:
Snowalker said:

Who said I was trying to be modest? I said I'm being honest, and the only way to be honest is to believe what you say is true, and to be true you have to know the truth. And since no man can truly know the truth, one has to be arrogant to say their being entirely honest. And as I said, I'm a PC gamer, and I'm arrogant as hell.
Well I think console gamers are equally arrogant with their portrayal of PC gamers as arrogant fuckwads. Nobody is right in this argument, nobody is more arrogant than the other side and everyone has something to lose if people continue this silly argument.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Zeriu said:
Snowalker said:
Zeriu said:
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
mjc0961 said:
Snowalker said:

Well I think console gamers are equally arrogant with their portrayal of PC gamers as arrogant fuckwads. Nobody is right in this argument, nobody is more arrogant than the other side and everyone has something to lose if people continue this silly argument.
Fair enough, may I ask though, if you weren't in for an argument, why are you on a forum? Sure, they use the ruse of discussion, but almost all good discussion delude into arguments, so you kinda knew what you were bargaining for.

Good talk.

robbaz

Apr 3, 2010
Most pc gamers are always defensive, don't worry i'm a pc elitist myself i even got a eyefinity setup. But when it comes to a pc exclusive game people will do everything in their might to protect it, telling you how flawless and smart it is even if they probablt themselves thinks it's rather stupid.

Zeriu

Jun 9, 2011
Snowalker said:
Zeriu said:
Snowalker said:
Zeriu said:
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
mjc0961 said:
Snowalker said:

Fair enough, may I ask though, if you weren't in for an argument, why are you on a forum? Sure, they use the ruse of discussion, but almost all good discussion delude into arguments, so you kinda knew what you were bargaining for.

Good talk.
I myself was quite angry about the generalization and wanted to give people a piece of my mind. But no one actually listens to what anyone else has to say and I just gave up trying to change anyone's mind.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Zeriu said:
Snowalker said:
Zeriu said:
Snowalker said:
Zeriu said:
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
icaritos said:
Snowalker said:
mjc0961 said:
Snowalker said:

Good talk.
I myself was quite angry about the generalization and wanted to give people a piece of my mind. But no one actually listens to what anyone else has to say and I just gave up trying to change anyone's mind.
Sorry I wasn't much help in that regard, I mean, I agree with what you're saying, but I disagree where it counts. Sorry, good luck though, maybe if you sway enough people we can stop bullshit threads like this, and I can become the lurker I once was.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
N
Kahunaburger said:
Savber said:

You would not like Super Metroid then haha. Or Minecraft :p

CDProjekt did fix the prologue difficulty in their latest patch, although IMO a lot of that difficulty stems from people not knowing how flexible their options are. They really should patch in a tutorial as a separate option from the main game, because the way the main game dumps you in the action is awesome but the way it doesn't give a hand to people who don't know the game's toolkit is not.
Never played Super Metroid because I never owned a console. :p

As for Minecraft, the lack of a tutorial was perfect for the game. Why? Mainly because the purpose of the game was the idea of exploration and discovering things to do and to combine. It was an open world that was based on experimenting and trying fabulous new things.

It's the same reason why you don't 'teach' a child how to play Lincoln logs or LEGO. Just give them the pieces and let them figure it out.

Besides the game is still in beta. Who says Notch won't integrate a tutorial by the time the game goes gold?

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
remnant_phoenix said:
Actually, the game doesn't forget to tell you how to do anything (except maybe applying mutagen), every single bit of the core mechanics is explained in those first fights, it tells you how to swing your sword, how to cast spells, what each sword is meant for and what each spell is meant for. It even tells you it'd be wise to set traps and throw bombs, to block and to evade.
Anything more than explaining those would be kind of restraining you to figure out what strategy best fits you, as you learn the mix and matching option the game gives you.

Belvadier

May 17, 2009
The Witcher 2 is one of the best games I have ever played, that being said, it definitely has problems. It has no learning curve...in fact there's no "learning" to speak of even built into the game. The game leaves many interface and statistical aspects of the game obscured until you basically look them up on the internet.

This may seem like a major oversight - and it is - but the overall quality of the game is SO HIGH that I can definitely overlook this. The storytelling is honestly the future of what video game stories should be. It's so organic and meaningful and varied. You can tell the The Witcher 2 was made with such love and care for both the source material and the integrity of gaming and the experience in general that it really shines.

Don't get me wrong, games like Dragon Age 1 and 2 and Mass Effect 1 and 2 are great, and I will continue to buy their sequels but The Witcher 2 is definitely a step in the right direction for gaming in my opinion...

I don't think there is anything to "defend". People will either like it or not - there are those who genuinely don't want a challenge in their games and for those people this probably isn't the game for them.