Why are you a Vegetarian?

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
Hey guys,

I didn't want to hijack the "Could you love a vegetarian" thread so i figured I'd start a new one.
So if you are a Vegetarian or vegan, why is it? Religious reasons? For a healthy diet? Cruelty to animals? Specific dietary needs? Saving the environment from cows farts?

Just curious

Oh and are you one of those vegetarians who eats fish? Or even one that eats chicken? I'd love to hear those explained too.

Thanks

Apr 25, 2009
I'm a semi vegetarian. I just try to avoid meat whenever possible, but I will eat it if I'm really hungry or there's no easy alternative.

It's just so much healthier for both the body and the mind. I don't eat McDonalds or any fast food, except for Subway (even the chips... bleeegh).

I honestly prefer vegetables, nuts, grains and fruit... natural things that are perfect for eating... over killing, burning and consuming a living creature.

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
Digi7 said:
I'm a semi vegetarian. I just try to avoid meat whenever possible, but I will eat it if I'm really hungry or there's no easy alternative.

It's just so much healthier for both the body and the mind. I don't eat McDonalds or any fast food, except for Subway (even the chips... bleeegh).

I honestly prefer vegetables, nuts, grains and fruit... natural things that are perfect for eating... over killing, burning and consuming a living creature.
Compared to eating a living breathing still metabolically active plant???? /joke

I have seen living proof that vegetarianism does wonders to a persons health.....but i just cant be bothered giving meat up. Its just too damned delicious.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I used to be a vegetarian for health reasons, but then I realized that I could eat meat and still maintain a perfectly healthy lifestyle, so I stopped.

PrimoThePro

Jun 23, 2009
I love meat. Meat meat meat. Quite good. I don't think I could stomach being a vegetarian.
That he was with a co-worker one day, and she said, "I know this great vegetarian place we could go eat at! Why not give it a shot, hmm?" To which my dad replied, "Okay, but first, I know this great steakhouse we could eat at! Why not give it a shot, hmm?" She replied, indignant this time, "I would never eat at a steakhouse! The idea is ludicrous! I will never try meat!" My dad did not reply to her, because it would be unnecessary to exploit such a hypocrite.

Apr 24, 2008
I used to be a vegetarian, because I didn't find meat appealing at the time, the look, the juices...the smell. One day I saw a piece of chicken that looked and smelled delicious, so I ate it...it carried on from there.

I don't know why so many people have such trouble understanding this. It seems like pretty straight forward logic to me.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
meat is yummy, it just depends on the persons taste i suppose, obviously there are moral choices involved sometimes though.

personally i just love a good medium rare beef steak, its just juicy and filling and tastey.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
PrimoThePro said:
I love meat. Meat meat meat. Quite good. I don't think I could stomach being a vegetarian.
That he was with a co-worker one day, and she said, "I know this great vegetarian place we could go eat at! Why not give it a shot, hmm?" To which my dad replied, "Okay, but first, I know this great steakhouse we could eat at! Why not give it a shot, hmm?" She replied, indignant this time, "I would never eat at a steakhouse! The idea is ludicrous! I will never try meat!" My dad did not reply to her, because it would be unnecessary to exploit such a hypocrite.
That's just silly. Your dad wasn't morally opposed to eating vegetables. Chances are he eats vegetables as well as meat in his daily diet, otherwise he would be dead or have serious health issues. The lady was saying, "you eat both vegetables and meat, but for the sake of hanging out together, would you like to forgo the meat?" Your dad decided to be rude about it and insult what she stands for. She wasn't being a hypocrite; your dad was being a dick.

OT: I'm not, but once I'm in my own house and able to make my own lifestyle choices I want to become vegan to support animal rights. Even putting aside the poor living conditions of factory farms, the idea of killing something for selfish purposes disgusts me. I know it will be hard, though, because I've grown up eating meat and, frankly, I like the taste.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
No, it's silly, at least for humans.

We're omnivores, that's what our body craves and, most of the time, needs.

Shining_Pyrelight

Oct 17, 2010
I can't fully commit to being vegitarian, too many of my favorite foods involve meat. I just always try to appreciate the animal that died so I could eat.
I guess if I ever did go full on veg, it would be because of animal cruelty. I just can't understand the indifference some people feel towards animals.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
ezeroast said:
So if you are a Vegetarian or vegan, why is it? Religious reasons? For a healthy diet? Cruelty to animals? Specific dietary needs? Saving the environment from cows farts?
All of the above. I'm not a strict vegetarian though. I might have like a slice of meat or two a week, but I usually avoid meat.
Yeah, my religious reasons are just my philosophy about life and how we should be treating others and the environment. All the veggies is also doing good for my body. Cruelty to animals as mentioned above, and I figure that eating a lot less meat (not quite no,) reduces pressure/demand on the whole hulking industry, meaning less factory farms and such (assuming everyone had a similar diet to me.) Okay, specific dietary needs I do not have, though saving the environment is a legitimate reason. Meat on a caloric basis is far, far less efficient than just skipping straight to grains and vegetables. So not only is there cow farts, but also overgrazing and wasting a bunch of potential food that's fed to animals for slaughter than could just be fed to humans as... regular food.

Oddly enough, I avoid fish even more than regular meat. Not only do I not particulary enjoy the taste of fish, but fishing around the world is far more stressed and unmanaged than grazing animals.

EDIT: And I'm just not really enticed by meat. Most of the time I just eat it because it's there, where some tofu/grains/exotic fruits/cheese could do fine.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
PrimoThePro said:
That's just silly. You're dad wasn't morally opposed to eating vegetables. Chances are he eats vegetables as well as meat in his daily diet, otherwise he would be dead or have serious health issues. The lady was saying, "you eat both vegetables and meat, but for the sake of hanging out together, would you like to forgo the meat?" Your dad decided to be rude about it and insult what she stands for. She wasn't being a hypocrite; your dad was being a dick.

OT: I'm not, but once I'm in my own house and able to make my own lifestyle choices I want to become vegan to support animal rights. Even putting aside the poor living conditions of factory farms, the idea of killing something for selfish purposes disgusts me. I know it will be hard, though, because I've grown up eating meat and, frankly, I like the taste.
i dont think that dude's dad was being a dick. U can eat vegatables at steakhouses, you cant order meat at a vegatarian restaraunt. So by your logic of them being civil and eating together, the steakhouse would have made more sense.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
My sister is a full-blown vegetarian so occasionally our household has a veggie meal. I don't mind them, but I prefer meat.
I have learned a lesson though: if I had to give up meat, I could certainly do it. I wouldn't *want* to, but I could.
PrimoThePro said:
That reminds me of a story I read once on the Escapist. It was full of win. Oh wait, it was this one!

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
bak00777 said:
i dont think that dude's dad was being a dick. U can eat vegatables at steakhouses, you cant order meat at a vegatarian restaraunt. So by your logic of them being civil and eating together, the steakhouse would have made more sense.
The moral issue stands, and it's very possible that being surrounded by the smell of meat would have made her feel sick. Anyway, I'd love to argue with you, but I just noticed I accidentally wrote "you're" where I meant to say "your", and I have to go have a crisis. Kthnxbye.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
You do know that canines have nothing to do with eating meat right?

Both herbivores.

On topic: I'm a vegetarian for health, ethical and environmental reasons. I would even try veganism if I didn't live still live with my parents.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
I... well.
I'm not a vegetarian, but I've always had a problem distancing the animal on the plate from the animals I used to see at Longdown Dairy Farm when I was growing up. So sometimes I'll eat meat and feel guilty about it, always have done. I've always said that, once I'm living on my own, I'll give it a shot. As it stands though, it's just not a practical thing to fit into my lifestyle.