Why are you a Vegetarian?

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
tanis1lionheart said:
No, it's silly, at least for humans.

We're omnivores, that's what our body craves and, most of the time, needs.
Prepare to be scared by a diagram:

Vegetarians, each of those teeth was put there with a purpose through thousands of years of evolution. You cannot deny it. We were made to eat meat and veg. Not one or the other, but both, it's genetically hard wired into us, don't fight nature.
Not sure if what the meat industry is doing with hormones n shit is natural either. Just saying.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
latenightapplepie said:
Well, you've officially disturbed me...

OT: Personally, if the animal is already dead I don't have a problem with eating it. There's nothing I can do about it and I enjoy eating it.

PrimoThePro

Jun 23, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
That's just silly. Your dad wasn't morally opposed to eating vegetables. Chances are he eats vegetables as well as meat in his daily diet, otherwise he would be dead or have serious health issues. The lady was saying, "you eat both vegetables and meat, but for the sake of hanging out together, would you like to forgo the meat?" Your dad decided to be rude about it and insult what she stands for. She wasn't being a hypocrite; your dad was being a dick.
Sorry for offending you, old chap, I just thought it was funny, seeing as most vegetarians treat it like a religion, and tend to force it down anyone else's throats. It just irks me that they have this "High and Mighty" philosophy, this "Holier than thou" ideal. Not all the time, true, but for me, in my own life, many who are vegetarians have been smug about it. Again, sorry my story upset you, but I don't think my dad was being a dick, seeing as she tried to make him a vegetarian every damn day he worked at that office.

TheEvilJester

Nov 18, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
bak00777 said:
i dont think that dude's dad was being a dick. U can eat vegatables at steakhouses, you cant order meat at a vegatarian restaraunt. So by your logic of them being civil and eating together, the steakhouse would have made more sense.
Anyway, I'd love to argue with you, but I just noticed I accidentally wrote "you're" where I meant to say "your", and I have to go have a crisis. Kthnxbye.
Ok seriously that shouldn't be any kind of argument breaker, are you just out of support or something?

On Topic: If I ever go vegetarian it will be because I hate plants. >.> And me not eating meat doesn't stop the meat thats already there from being any less dead so may as well go for it.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009

Just had some this morning. It was delicious. Imma live forever. You'll be dead, I'll be alive though.

Also I have responded to vegetarianism/veganism before here on the Escapist but let me reiterate (with different words obviously): In nature, all predators and meat eaters, hunt, kill and devour their prey. This is nothing personal, this is just because they need the food to survive and be healthy. And no, cutting meat out of your diet completely is not and never will be healthy. We are omnivores. We are not the only species who are omnivores either. To survive we need a balance of meat and plants in our diet. We are hard wired to like it, eat it and digest it. It's as simple as that. You feel bad because we're killing animals? Don't. Because out in the wild, those animals would be nothing but prey for predators. Dying in a slaughter house sounds just as bad as being chased down by a pack of wolves and having your throat ripped out. So no, I will not feel guilty for enjoying a nice breast of chicken or a juicy burger for dinner. We are animals, we are predators, we eat meat. Just because we have superior intelligence doesn't change that. It just makes us smarter. That is all.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I actually knew a girl who just realized she hasn't eaten meat in 6 months and didn't want to go through getting her body adjusted again so she just stayed vegetarian.

latenightapplepie said:
Both herbivores.
Both have been known to eat meat though. Hippos more so than gorillas(Hippos have even been known to be cannibalistic). A common theory as to why we are omnivores is due to a diminishing food supply so our ancestors had to resort to eating meat even though they preferred plants. Also, note how the hippo's teeth are very dull which are bad for eating meat anyway.

zen5887 said:
Not sure if what the meat industry is doing with hormones n shit is natural either. Just saying.
It is perfectly natural for a person to want to get the highest profit out of his industry.

Hiraeth

May 19, 2009
I'm not vegetarian but I don't really eat red meat, I eat chicken, fish and other seafood, and I've been known to eat kangaroo and crocodile. My family never really ate red meat when I was growing up, and I don't particularly like it now, so I don't eat it now. Add to that the health and environmental aspects, I don't really see the point in changing my diet up to incorporate it. That said, kangaroo I actually do like the taste of, and it's generally a much better option:
http://iatebrisbane.com/2010/05/10-awesome-reasons-why-everyone-should-eat-kangaroo/
So that I will eat.

Zeeky_Santos said:
Vegetarians, each of those teeth was put there with a purpose through thousands of years of evolution. You cannot deny it. We were made to eat meat and veg. Not one or the other, but both, it's genetically hard wired into us, don't fight nature.
Imagine for a second that you, as you are at this very moment, are dumped into the wild, naked, and with absolutely nothing. Would you be able to use only your body to hunt and kill an animal for food? No, because we humans are not physically equipped for it. What has enabled us to evolve in such a way that we rely on being able to eat meat is our development of tool use. This too has evolved. Now we have tools that allow us to develop vegetarian and vegan alternatives to eating meat, so that as long as people who choose that lifestyle have half a brain they can live perfectly healthily. Saying that humans should eat meat purely because evolution has made us that way is to ignore the fact that there is considerably more to humans in a social and technological sense than there is to other animals. It's a silly argument, akin to saying that humans evolved to be hairy, so none of us should wax or shave. What people eat, much as the way we dress, or who we mate with, or what we consider appropriate behavior is an inherently social experience, and as such is informed by more than just biology.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
I try to be sometimes, mostly for health reasons. But I can't resist a good steak every once in a while and I just love seafood too much.

Radeonx said:
I used to be a vegetarian for health reasons, but then I realized that I could eat meat and still maintain a perfectly healthy lifestyle, so I stopped.
Oh it's certainly possible to eat meat and stay healthy. But I just find it easier to avoid it whenever possible.

Lineoutt

Sock Hat
Jun 26, 2009
I am a vegetarian for two reasons:

1) I feel immense guilt at eating something that has or once had a face
2) I find the prospect of eating muscle tissue and gnawing around bones disgusting.

Oh yeah and im not a pescatarian (eats fish) and i dont eat chicken.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Mezmer said:
And no, cutting meat out of your diet completely is not and never will be healthy. To survive we need a balance of meat and plants in our diet.
Then why am I, and the vast population of vegetarians and vegans on the planet not dead? Is the American Dietetic Association [http://www.eatright.org/Media/content.aspx?id=1233&terms=vegetarian] wrong?

ADA said:
It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life-cycle including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence and for athletes.

Vegetarian diets are often associated with health advantages including lower blood cholesterol levels, lower risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure levels and lower risk of hypertension and type 2 diabetes, according to ADA?s position. Vegetarians tend to have a lower body mass index and lower overall cancer rates. Vegetarian diets tend to be lower in saturated fat and cholesterol and have higher levels of dietary fiber, magnesium and potassium, vitamins C and E, folate, carotenoids, flavonoids and other phytochemicals. These nutritional differences may explain some of the health advantages of those following a varied, balanced vegetarian diet.

So the ADA thinks that not only is it perfectly healthy to not eat meat, but that it provides "health benefits" that omnivorous diets don't? There you go.

But you seem to know otherwise. What isn't the ADA telling me, Mezmer?

You feel bad because we're killing animals? Don't. Because out in the wild, those animals would be nothing but prey for predators. Dying in a slaughter house sounds just as bad as being chased down by a pack of wolves and having your throat ripped out.
They could run. Can you run in a cage?

crudus said:
Both have been known to eat meat though. Hippos more so than gorillas(Hippos have even been known to be cannibalistic).
This is probably true that on very rare occasions their diets will slightly vary. I think they are technically both herbivores, though. They certainly don't have those big long canines for eating meat. Because having canines does not make necessarily make one a meat-eater. That was the point I was trying to make.

Lineoutt

Sock Hat
Jun 26, 2009
bak00777 said:
manic_depressive13 said:
PrimoThePro said:
I love meat. Meat meat meat. Quite good. I don't think I could stomach being a vegetarian.
That he was with a co-worker one day, and she said, "I know this great vegetarian place we could go eat at! Why not give it a shot, hmm?" To which my dad replied, "Okay, but first, I know this great steakhouse we could eat at! Why not give it a shot, hmm?" She replied, indignant this time, "I would never eat at a steakhouse! The idea is ludicrous! I will never try meat!" My dad did not reply to her, because it would be unnecessary to exploit such a hypocrite.
That's just silly. You're dad wasn't morally opposed to eating vegetables. Chances are he eats vegetables as well as meat in his daily diet, otherwise he would be dead or have serious health issues. The lady was saying, "you eat both vegetables and meat, but for the sake of hanging out together, would you like to forgo the meat?" Your dad decided to be rude about it and insult what she stands for. She wasn't being a hypocrite; your dad was being a dick.

OT: I'm not, but once I'm in my own house and able to make my own lifestyle choices I want to become vegan to support animal rights. Even putting aside the poor living conditions of factory farms, the idea of killing something for selfish purposes disgusts me. I know it will be hard, though, because I've grown up eating meat and, frankly, I like the taste.
i dont think that dude's dad was being a dick. U can eat vegatables at steakhouses, you cant order meat at a vegatarian restaraunt. So by your logic of them being civil and eating together, the steakhouse would have made more sense.
Sorry to interject here but from experience it is extremely hard to be a vegetarian at a steakhouse. This may be hard to believe but there are a lot more things that have meat in them then one would assume. I've been to steakhouses that dont even have any vegetarian salad. All I could eat were some french fries, in one case the french fries were even cooked in animal fats.

PrimoThePro said:
Anyway yeah I sympathize with her in this story. The way you (PrimothePro) described it is she made a friendly suggested and he replied with a rude, dickish comment. She dealt with it by acting superior and then your dad decided to pass a tale of outsmarting a overly-sensitive vegetarian to his kid.

zero_blahs

Nov 26, 2009
Certain animals have parts used in other non-food products so by me refusing to eat that chicken or steak Im disrespecting the chicken or cow or whatever. Personally though Now that I think about it im mostly veggie because ive been living off of fries mozzerella sticks and cereal and some grilled cheeses for the most part.

zero_blahs

Nov 26, 2009
Lineoutt said:
bak00777 said:
manic_depressive13 said:
PrimoThePro said:
I love meat. Meat meat meat. Quite good. I don't think I could stomach being a vegetarian.
That he was with a co-worker one day, and she said, "I know this great vegetarian place we could go eat at! Why not give it a shot, hmm?" To which my dad replied, "Okay, but first, I know this great steakhouse we could eat at! Why not give it a shot, hmm?" She replied, indignant this time, "I would never eat at a steakhouse! The idea is ludicrous! I will never try meat!" My dad did not reply to her, because it would be unnecessary to exploit such a hypocrite.
That's just silly. You're dad wasn't morally opposed to eating vegetables. Chances are he eats vegetables as well as meat in his daily diet, otherwise he would be dead or have serious health issues. The lady was saying, "you eat both vegetables and meat, but for the sake of hanging out together, would you like to forgo the meat?" Your dad decided to be rude about it and insult what she stands for. She wasn't being a hypocrite; your dad was being a dick.

OT: I'm not, but once I'm in my own house and able to make my own lifestyle choices I want to become vegan to support animal rights. Even putting aside the poor living conditions of factory farms, the idea of killing something for selfish purposes disgusts me. I know it will be hard, though, because I've grown up eating meat and, frankly, I like the taste.
Sorry to interject here but from experience it is extremely hard to be a vegetarian at a steakhouse. This may be hard to believe but there are a lot more things that have meat in them then one would assume. I've been to steakhouses that dont even have any vegetarian salad. All I could eat were some french fries, in one case the french fries were even cooked in animal fats.

PrimoThePro said:
Anyway yeah I sympathize with her in this story. The way you (PrimothePro) described it is she made a friendly suggested and he replied with a rude, dickish comment. She dealt with it by acting superior and then your dad decided to pass a tale of outsmarting a overly-sensitive vegetarian to his kid.
no no their both wrong here because their both pushing their beleifs onto eachother There are places you can go with options for both veggies/vegans and people who like meat.
Its like IE. Catholic person: hey why dont you come to my church on sunday? Jewish person: Why dont you come to mine? cathlotic person: RAWWWWWWR /stab.

The_Chief

Jun 3, 2008
PrimoThePro said:
manic_depressive13 said:
That's just silly. Your dad wasn't morally opposed to eating vegetables. Chances are he eats vegetables as well as meat in his daily diet, otherwise he would be dead or have serious health issues. The lady was saying, "you eat both vegetables and meat, but for the sake of hanging out together, would you like to forgo the meat?" Your dad decided to be rude about it and insult what she stands for. She wasn't being a hypocrite; your dad was being a dick.
Sorry for offending you, old chap, I just thought it was funny, seeing as most vegetarians treat it like a religion, and tend to force it down anyone else's throats. It just irks me that they have this "High and Mighty" philosophy, this "Holier than thou" ideal. Not all the time, true, but for me, in my own life, many who are vegetarians have been smug about it. Again, sorry my story upset you, but I don't think my dad was being a dick, seeing as she tried to make him a vegetarian every damn day he worked at that office.
latenightapplepie said:
Mezmer said:
And no, cutting meat out of your diet completely is not and never will be healthy. To survive we need a balance of meat and plants in our diet.
Then why am I, and the vast population of vegetarians and vegans on the planet not dead? Is the American Dietetic Association [http://www.eatright.org/Media/content.aspx?id=1233&terms=vegetarian] wrong?

ADA said:
It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life-cycle including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence and for athletes.

Vegetarian diets are often associated with health advantages including lower blood cholesterol levels, lower risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure levels and lower risk of hypertension and type 2 diabetes, according to ADA?s position. Vegetarians tend to have a lower body mass index and lower overall cancer rates. Vegetarian diets tend to be lower in saturated fat and cholesterol and have higher levels of dietary fiber, magnesium and potassium, vitamins C and E, folate, carotenoids, flavonoids and other phytochemicals. These nutritional differences may explain some of the health advantages of those following a varied, balanced vegetarian diet.

So the ADA thinks that not only is it perfectly healthy to not eat meat, but that it provides "health benefits" that omnivorous diets don't? There you go.

But you seem to know otherwise. What isn't the ADA telling me, Mezmer?

You feel bad because we're killing animals? Don't. Because out in the wild, those animals would be nothing but prey for predators. Dying in a slaughter house sounds just as bad as being chased down by a pack of wolves and having your throat ripped out.
They could run. Can you run in a cage?

crudus said:
Both have been known to eat meat though. Hippos more so than gorillas(Hippos have even been known to be cannibalistic).
This is probably true that on very rare occasions their diets will slightly vary. I think they are technically both herbivores, though. They certainly don't have those big long canines for eating meat. Because having canines does not make necessarily make one a meat-eater. That was the point I was trying to make.
you two should totally battle it out.

ot; i could never be one but my best friend only eats...chicken i think because she watched a peta video on how they kill pigs. it almost made pork products unappetizing. ALMOST.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
I'm not a vegetarian, mainly because I don't see the point. If someone is a vegetarian because the want to be more healthy, more power to them. But if they're a vegetarian because "Meat is murder" than they can stick their own self-righteous head up their ass.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
TheEvilJester said:
manic_depressive13 said:
bak00777 said:
Anyway, I'd love to argue with you, but I just noticed I accidentally wrote "you're" where I meant to say "your", and I have to go have a crisis. Kthnxbye.
Ok seriously that shouldn't be any kind of argument breaker, are you just out of support or something?

On Topic: If I ever go vegetarian it will be because I hate plants. >.> And me not eating meat doesn't stop the meat thats already there from being any less dead so may as well go for it.
Excuse me? Since you can't just let something drop, frankly I don't see what there is to argue about. We've had this discussion on the escapist more times than I care to remember. I don't see how anything I say will make you change your mind about eating meat, particularly when your argument ultimately boils down to "because I want to". Likewise, nothing you say will make eating meat seem justifiable to me, and I would rather watch videos on youtube than have a pointless discussion.

But sure, I dropped it because I thought I was wrong. Do you feel smart now?

Zyphonee

Mar 20, 2010
Super Toast said:
I'm not a vegetarian, mainly because I don't see the point. If someone is a vegetarian because the want to be more healthy, more power to them. But if they're a vegetarian because "Meat is murder" than they can stick their own self-righteous head up their ass.
Explain why?

Bender Rodriguez

Sep 2, 2010
I'm a man, i need my meat.

I respect vegans, but i don't follow them.
Don't try to tell me about how they breed chickens in such ways they cant stand up in the end, i know it and its repulsive.
But that wont stop me from eating chicken.

Best meat related food in my mind?
Beef.