Why Are You Buying a Console?

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
I'm buying a new console (PS4 and Wii U both next year) because I like to play games. Here's some titles from both systems that sold me. PS4 in particular already had me because I've supported Sony for so long, but seeing it $100 cheaper than the Xbox just sealed it.There is one game that could get me to buy any console/system no matter what by itself; Persona 5, but that'll probably be at TGS later this year.

PS4 (Most-Wanted Announced-Title)

Transistor (PC/PS4) (2014)

Dragon Age: Inquisition, Infamous: Second Son, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, Metal Gear Solid V, Mirror's Edge 2, Dark Souls 2, Witcher 3, Watch Dogs, Daylight, Knack, and Destiny. The PS4 takes care of all my indie, niche, and big triple-AAA needs.

Wii U (Most-Wanted Announced-Title)

Smash Bros (3DS/WiiU) (2014)

X, Super Mario 3D World, Zelda Wii U, and the backlog of Wii titles and rainfall games. Honestly, Smash Bros sold me by itself. The Wii U takes care of all Nintendo's great first-party titles, developers like Monolith Soft and Atlus that play safe, and the occasional gem. Plus, Smash Bros Brawl is the most fun I've ever had with a videogame because of my friends. We've been playing since Melee came out, and after a long-year hiatus from Brawl Nintendo's draggin' us back!

I game for me and my friends. It's a way we can laugh and have fun together. Go, Wii-Fit trainer girl!

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Console exclusives of course

Destiny
MGS V and future MGS games
Titan Fall
Kingdom Hearts III
Final Fantasy XV
Halo 5 and future Halo games
Future Tales of games
Watch dogs
Sunset Overdrive

And that's just for the PS4 and XBOX 1
For the WII U you have all the Nintendo IPs and Bayonetta 2

As much as I love Halo I will mostly likely end up picking up a PS4 and passing on Halo 5 until either the Xbox 1 receives a significant price drop or by some miracle they drop the DRM.

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
If I buy a console this generation, and we're probably talking far enough after launch to give them plenty of shakedown time so I don't repeat my PS2 or 360 woes, its looking like it will be the PS4.

I chose 360 over PS3 because I was getting into western developed games that were more about game play than big cgi set cutscenes. In the end, it didn't really matter because the whole generation trended towards huge cutscenes with less and less emphasis on actual gameplay. As much fun as I had with Max Payne 3, it felt like I spent more time watching it than I did playing it. The 360 exclusives never really interested me. Never played Halo. Played 15 minutes of Halo 2 co-op, and one multiplayer match of Halo 3. Bought Gears of War one and gave up on the franchise before the second one hit shelves. Xbox exclusives, barring Mass Effect (at first) weren't really my cup of tea.

If Fallout/Next Single Player Elder Scrolls game goes XBox exclusive, I'll be disappointed/upset - but no where near upset enough to make me grab my ankles and hop backwards into Microsoft's abusive embrace.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
I am buying a console because I enjoy playing games and I dont do PC gaming. There really isnt much else to it.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Because computers are complicated and I'm no good at Building things (Or math).

Besides, I can't (Legally) play Nintendo games on a Computer.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
The same reason I always buy consoles I like local gameplay as well as being able to trade and share my games as well as owning my games in the long term which computers often don't provide for. Though admittedly for reasons beyond my comprehension console developers want to push away from these things ironically obsoleting the very thing they are trying to sell.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Because I could never quite get into PC gaming. Even when I'm doing things right, I'm paranoid enough to convince myself I'm doing them wrong.

Mar 12, 2013
As much I want to purchase a PS4 on day one. I think I'll wait at least 6-12 months and see how many quality games / exclusives on each consoles. I don't think I will be buying the first generation model as well.

Kailow Krow

Mar 24, 2011
1. I already own a vita.
2. Holding out hope for next gen WipEout.
3. Destiny's got freaking cross play or whatever.
4. The error with the vita and ps4 v.s the Wii-u is that, I think you should really be comparing it to the Wii-U plus the 3ds...
5. P.c. is getting a little out dated, and I really need a new motherboard and p.c. gamer speak that's like starting the rig over from scratch not even my ram would carry over if I wanted to completely keep up with next gen. That being said it's pretty good for how old it is. I'm rockin 16 gigs of ram. I'm privileged and I really can afford both and there is a essence of simplicity to consoles that does appeal to me. It's the dedication to the craft. That light bar and the trackpad thing might be cool.

Regless

Jul 28, 2012
I'll be getting a PS4 because some games aren't well optimized for PCs my rig is pretty good. But the games feel like a Russian roulette sometimes. Never had this issue with a console. worst it's ever been for me on one of them is that the controls suck and there's no way to change them. Also, WiiU exclusives. I don't care if it's the weakest most gimicky system or not, nintendo games always impress me.

jowell24

Jun 13, 2010
Recently got a gaming pc last year so as of then - exclusives, those particular games I like to play with console-friends and for those times when I just want plug and play game sessions instead of sitting at a desk with mouse and keyboard.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I'll probably get the PS4 down the road a bit, probably won't get it full price though unless I get a pay rise or they release a bunch of games I absolutely must have.

Not touching the Xbone with a 10 foot barge pole though.

GonvilleBromhead said:
If the PS4 keeps it's used game, no Orwellian DRM promise - because their is no Orwellian DRM as standard and (more importantly) I can buy older games a few years down the line second hand (and trade them in if I so wish).

Which you can't do with XBone, nor can the PC master race.
I feel like noting that you can buy second hand PC games and trade them in at shops still, except most digital distribution platforms do them games cheaper earlier hence why so many buy from them.

In the case of DRM, yeah, sure, PC does have that, but every other platform has the potential for DRM to be put in place by the developer/publisher so it's kinda a moot point, especially considering most PC games (excluding EA, Ubisoft and most Valve ones) can be bought legitimately without DRM from various sources.

CAPTCHA: Mumbo Jumbo

Yes Captcha, I agree.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
For the same reason I've never been much of a PC gamer. Exclusive Japanese games.

When has the PC ever had more Japanese exclusives than any console? Never, unless you count doujin stuff like Visual Novels. PCs are great if you like multiplatform titles. Definitely the PC version of a multiplatform title is the best and I'd never begrudge PC fans of that fact.

Unfortunately, I was raised on Japanese RPG and even back in the day I rarely bought most of the games shared between PCs and consoles. If I wanted those PC titles that happened to have a console version, I'd have bought the PC version. I know some users here are those rare folks that grew up on unpopular Western genres and games like Baldur's Gate. In fact I'm amazed at the concentration of such folks around here. But most of us who are older folk grew up on RPGs via Japanese RPG. Back then wRPGs were pretty darn obscure and most people didn't even realize they were RPGs. I was one of those kids.

And my tastes haven't changed. I like my platformers. I like my fighting games. I like my Japanese RPGs. I like my Shoot em Ups. And I love to buy these games when they come out for PCs. But most of the time, it seems like, I have to own a console to play them. Or waiting several years until someone develops and emulator for the system. But until emulators all work for current gen systems flawlessly or the games all get released for the PC, I'm going to buy consoles.

I'm sorry, PC, but I can't bet on Hideo Baba putting Tales of Xillia or any other Tales game on the PC. Eventually I'm gonna need a PlayStation 4. I also can't bet on Atlus putting Persona 5 on the PC. And I can't bet on Nippon Ichi putting Disgaea on the PC. And I can't bet on Platinum Games putting their games on the PC, either. Though there was that one Metal Gear Rising announcement.

For me not to want to buy a console, they'd pretty much have to offer me nothing I couldn't already get or did already want to the PC. Which hasn't been the case ever. Sorry, always hoping the PC gets a greater variety of good games. It isn't like I don't love playing games on my PC. But as much as I love my PC, I go to where the games are. And the games are over thataway.

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
Well...the only console that I am actually interested in is the Wii U, mainly because of the fact that I have had more fun with my Wii then my PS3. So yeah, unless Sony announces a whole lot more of really interesting games after about a year of the console release, I might not actually buy a PS4. But goddammit do I want to play Kingdom Hearts 3.

(Edit) Also

EstrogenicMuscle said:
For the same reason I've never been much of a PC gamer. Exclusive Japanese games.
Hell yeah. Cant wait for Tales of Xillia and Time And Eternity, I really want those game to be the ones that make into the crossing line of me justifying my purchase of a PS3

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Because fuck you.

Also because the interesting games for the WiiU probably won't get ported to PC. I don't care if it's 'gimmicky', if a few interesting games that make immersive or interesting use of the control scheme, then it'll be worth it. Even more so if Gamecube games show up on the virtual console.

I won't be buying on release, because I don't exactly have deep pockets. Also Bayonetta 2.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
Let's see:
Importing games that are either banned or censored in Germany (publishers started to block foreign steam codes in Germany)

Exclusives like inFamous, the new Killzone and whatever they will throw at us later on.

Couch co-op without mods

Buying used games (I'm going to university right now and buying games used saves money, when I don't want to wait for a steam sale or a bundle thing)

The first point is the main thing for me though, hence the Xbox One is out of the question right away.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Convenience. I love PC games. I love M&K for shooters and the plethora of digital distributors means I can get almost any game under the sun without having to haul my sorry carcass to Game or something. However, with the new generation of consoles, I fear my PC's specs won't be good enough to play the new games. And even if I can, they will be much more intensive, meaning my fingers are going to barbecued as I play, such are the follies of laptops. So yeah. I can reliably play new games without cooking my hands.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
So I can use it to play games.

If you mean as opposed to buying a new PC or new PC parts, it's because I don't have time to learn what hardware specs mean and because keyboard gaming cramps the hell out of my fingers.