Why are you people so negative?

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
Oh just some 'Calvin and Hobbes' that'll give you the right idea. In fact let me read an excerpt from the one I found just two days ago:

*Ahem*

[color=#fgs900]"Acid rain, toxic wastes, holes on the ozone, sewage in the oceans, and on and on.
The only bright side to all this is that eventually there may not be a piece of the planet worth fighting over.[/color]

"You're packing?"

[color=#fgs900]Yep. Get your toothbrush Hobbes. We're outta here.
It's an outrage how grown-ups have polluted the earth! I refuse to inherit a spoiled planet! I'm leaving![/color]

"Really? Where to?"

[color=#fgs900]"You know sometimes you're a real load to have around."[/color]

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Possibly because the top two reviewers on this site are the most cynical people I've ever seen.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
But doesn't the fact that you're complaining about all the "negative people" mean that you're being negative now?

I submit to you, that you are the negative one and therefor must make a post complaining about how negative you are. EXECUTE YOUR PROGRAMING!

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
The "I've lost faith in humanity" bullshit is a common sentiment among teenagers, especially ones with internet access. It's not restricted to this website.

Misanthropy has become popular, so you're going to see it in a lot of places. However, pessimism is so common on the Escapist because most people are attracted to the site by Zero Punctuation, and Yahtzee doesn't paint himself as a happy go lucky kind of guy.

chocolatekake said:
Well, I'm just going to throw it out there and say, just because you have a current gen console doesn't mean you live a charmed life. Sure you're not as worse off as others, but there's the whole rest of the world where there's plenty of people way better off than you and of course plenty of people way worse off than you. Comparing your status in life, especially by monetary standards isn't exactly...constructive.

And as for me, I think half of humanity should die off not necessarily because they're terrible people or I hate them, but just that we're overpopulated and I think we could do with at least some "pruning".
I agree with the first paragraph of this post, but the second... what the fuck? Genocide is an agreeable alternative to overpopulation? How about increasing the presence of birth control and/or removing the tax breaks parents get for having children? It makes no sense to jump straight to murdering every other person you see when there are more sane, practical solutions that should at least be given a fair try first.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
I agree with the o.p. I've been a couple years and every time I get on here, there is some sort pessimistic thread going, the most popular right now is "no faith in humanity" threads. Thing is, its not just here. It's all over the internet and real life too. Turn on the news and most of it is just a bunch of negativity. People just seem to think that being negative = being cool. Either that or it makes them feel intelligent. I myself am an unabashed optimist. I've had to deal with crap in my life. But I don't let it bring me down. Yes, the world has a lot of problems. You can think that optimists are naive and ignorant, but the way I see it, the optimists are the ones who believe that good can come from a situation and they're the ones bring about positive changes. Pessimists seem to be content with just sitting back and whining about how the world sucks and do almost nothing to change things.

Basically, optimists, instead of sitting back and complaining about things, they see things how they could be and work towards that goal. I myself experience situations like this often, where me being both positive and stubborn, I turn a bad situation into a good one, even though everyone around me just wants to complain about it. My 2 cents anyway.

Anyways, if everyone decides to sit back and be negative about things, of course the worlds going to be negative. So, let's think happy thoughts everyone!

And, deep breath..

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
I presume many people, myself included, is rather negative because the world is not a fairytale. Personally, I'm tired of seeing suffering left and right, crimes go unpunished, criminals getting a chance, society breaking down. You know, all that stuff, and that just leaves a negative feeling.

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
Shark Wrangler said:
Lets pretend your shopping at a mall with nothing but nerds in it. Okay so your wandering around and haven't decided what you want to buy. You pick up a t-shirt that you like and decide you want it. Go over to the counter and slap the shirt down with the money in your hand. Literally out of nowhere a nerd comes up to you and starts bitching about your choice in fabrics and colors. Kind of pissed off but hes harmless and you ignore him. Look up at the cashier and she puts in her two cents on how the shirt your buying is hurting the children in Africa. Okay now your anger is getting to the point of no return. You have another nerd come up to you and call you an asshole because only idiots buy red shirts. Get to the point of rambo and your only course of action is to shoot every troll in the face.
*you're

Fuckin' hell.

Flizzick

Jun 29, 2011
Because the world is a cold, dark, and heartless place, and you good sir need to buck up, put on your big kid panties and just DEAL WITH IT

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
OP is obviously trying for attention by calling everyone out ("You people"? Really?), but I'll feed the troll anyway.

People who are content or complacent won't go around agreeing with everyone on the internet. If they're happy, they'll stay that way.

But if they dislike something then they have every right to voice their opinions. Sure, probably a useless effort, but their voice was heard. That's what most people want, anyway.

And if you're going to let the opinions of other people that you don't even know bother you then maybe you should take a look inward before berating everyone around you.

This whole thread is just silly! But fun to read, so hey, it's got its uses. :)

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Doclector said:
Well, I'm negative because it seems smarter to be.

Positivity, occasionally having the thing you expected to happen to happen. Devastating disappointment abound when things inevitably turn to s***.

Negativity, often having the Thing you expected to happen to happen, but being negative, you were prepared to deal with this posibility. When good things happen, it's a surprise, and good things rarely have to be acted upon, (or at least not planned for) you just kind of go with it.

I don't see the advantage in Positivity. To be positive in such a downright brutal world (and you can't lie here, no matter how positive you are, this is not a nice world) seems to verge on naivity of an almost dangerous magnitude.
You know, I recall a line from a very good fanfic I once read: An idealist is a man lost at sea, striking out for land he can't possibly reach because he still holds out hope. A cynic sinks like a stone.

You can't see the advantage in positivity, but I can't see the advantage in pessimism. If you're living life as a depressed, sad person who always expects the worst, then what's the point of living it at all? I can handle disappointment (especially since my cheesy habit of "always looking on the bright side, kids!" means I'm not actually disappointed that often), I'm not so scared of it that I'll get rid of most of my enjoyment just to avoid it.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
gabe12301 said:
I'm having trouble understanding why so many of the people on the site are so pessimistic. Every other comment is "That greedy (insert company name here) is making money! RAAAAAGGGEE." I'm just happy that the company isn't going bankrupt and firing thousands of it's employees. or when you say "humanity has no value" or some bullcrap about how half of humanity should die off.

Plus gammers aren't exactly the most worst off group of people. We can afford a current gen console or a used ps2 if we're short on cash. In fact, some of us can afford crazy powerful gamming PCs.

My brain hurts just trying to make sense of you soulless depressed group of people.
You're probably the most negative person I've seen on this site :p

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
I don' know really. I suppose I'm kinda negative, thinking too much about philosophical stuff does that to you, but as for your examples you have mentioned there, this sentence is going for quite a while, they are just being mean I think or are trying to justify a choice they made. My friend was saying that the Pizza Deliverer is an arsehole because he lives down a long driveway and had to stop playing his LOL game to go walk down it to help the guy out. My friend's and my opinion on the matter was he was being unreasonable and was trying to justify why he had to leave his LOL game when it was his fault for starting it when he had to be available to collect, pay for the pizza and encase they needed to contact him.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
gabe12301 said:
I'm having trouble understanding why so many of the people on the site are so pessimistic. Every other comment is "That greedy (insert company name here) is making money! RAAAAAGGGEE." I'm just happy that the company isn't going bankrupt and firing thousands of it's employees. or when you say "humanity has no value" or some bullcrap about how half of humanity should die off.

Plus gammers aren't exactly the most worst off group of people. We can afford a current gen console or a used ps2 if we're short on cash. In fact, some of us can afford crazy powerful gamming PCs.

My brain hurts just trying to make sense of you soulless depressed group of people.
Welcome to the internet, son. I hate to break it to you, but a lot of us here are not happy people. And I'll thank you in advance for taking back the blanket statement that we are "soulless and depressed", some of these people have just fallen on harder times in their life than others. That doesn't mean they're soulless, they just have issues at the moment. Yes, we're better off than most other people. But can a man not have all the possessions he desires in the world and all the money he'll ever need, and still be fucking miserable?

And yeah, if you think we're negative, hop on over to 4chan; they'll make us seem like a bunch of rosy-cheeked youngsters frolicking in the meadow.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Stop generalising. There is a fair bit of misery on here, but here's also happy people like me.
For the people who are cynical I can only imagine it's because all the shitty news we're told every day, a lot of people take that to heart.
Anyone who says, "I lost faith in humanity!!1!!" are usually just drama queens who are angry/upset about something at the minute. It's best to ignore them.

Slightly relevant here, I hate it when people ***** about there first world problems.
There's no goats cheese in my salad!
My legs are aching, sitting on this plane to Magaluf!
I have to get up early to go to the spa and get pampered! FML!

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
gabe12301 said:

I think it's a fine line and you're right to an extent. The internet is full of teenagers looking for outlets for angst and blah blah blah, and the Escapist is no exception to that. But is it really such a big deal? Firstly, teenagers have angst. We know this, it's just a fact. Growing up is hard. You went through it, I went through it, anyone over the age of 20 who claims not to have been through it is lying.

Secondly, while people do tend to be artificially negative and that sucks, telling everyone to lighten up and be positive is not helpful, because trust me, an excess of artificial positivity sucks just as much. In my opinion, pessimism and optimism are both artificial and both come down to someone WANTING things to be a certain way, usually for reasons to do with their own ego. We should all strive to be realists all the time. Look at the issue, examine your thoughts on it, examine where your thoughts came from and how you formed them and make a rational and above all HONEST appraisal.

I once heard someone answer the question "is the glass half-empty or half-full?" like this:
"I suppose that depends. If it was full and you drank half then it's half-empty. It was empty and you filled it halfway, then it's half-full." And that's one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
gabe12301 said:
knock knock, reality has just caught up wit you. you know we are negative because life IS negative. just look around you, humans, as a species, are very destructive, sadistic egoists. yes, there are exceptions, but that doesnt make majority different. i dont think half of humanity should die off, but i do believe there are certain people that should.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so i typed a whole long reply analyzing your points and i got the "forum overlaoded error" and its all gone. GREAT.
so lets jut keep it simple then - life is negative. look around you.