Why are you people so negative?

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
DAPLR said:
Wanna talk negative!? Try being a Star Wars fan who likes The new ones and doesn't care about the added in stuff to the originals....you get eaten ALIVE!!!

Very few Star Wars fans are positive about this kind of thing :p
Well that statement made me want to nerdrage and be negative telling you why you are wrong..... yadda yadda yadda. But for the purposes of this thread I will simply say:

To each his own.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Sounds like you're the grumpy-pants if you ask me. Complaining that people are so negative is such a negative thing to say. Turn that frown upside down!

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
SHut up Mr happy ! Humanity is terrible I hope we all die in a terrible fire made of snakes angstangsst ansgt angst.

OT: We are actually pretty cheerful, its just that negative this tend to be more memorable

(by the way I wasnt being serious up there)

Tekkawarrior

Aug 17, 2009
gabe12301 said:
I'm having trouble understanding why so many of the people on the site are so pessimistic. Every other comment is "That greedy (insert company name here) is making money! RAAAAAGGGEE." I'm just happy that the company isn't going bankrupt and firing thousands of it's employees. or when you say "humanity has no value" or some bullcrap about how half of humanity should die off.

Plus gammers aren't exactly the most worst off group of people. We can afford a current gen console or a used ps2 if we're short on cash. In fact, some of us can afford crazy powerful gamming PCs.

My brain hurts just trying to make sense of you soulless depressed group of people.
You haven't seen enough crap to make you lose faith in humanity. Unlike the rest of us I suppose.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
That's not negativity, that's being dissatisfied. Sorry, but living in a first world country doesn't mean I have to be happy all the time.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
gabe12301 said:
I'm having trouble understanding why so many of the people on the site are so pessimistic. Every other comment is "That greedy (insert company name here) is making money! RAAAAAGGGEE." I'm just happy that the company isn't going bankrupt and firing thousands of it's employees. or when you say "humanity has no value" or some bullcrap about how half of humanity should die off.

Plus gammers aren't exactly the most worst off group of people. We can afford a current gen console or a used ps2 if we're short on cash. In fact, some of us can afford crazy powerful gamming PCs.

My brain hurts just trying to make sense of you soulless depressed group of people.
I've thought about the same, but i think it's more that people on here are pretty cynical.

I will admit to being like that myself and i've had teachers confirm it, but i still enjoy life. I don't whine about my problems and i try to stay positive and trust things to turn out as best as they can in the end. I value the little things in the world and if things go sour i find something to take my mind off it.

Despite what i've said above i do believe that humans are the cruelest, most unforgiving and greed of all living things on this planet. I don't let that keep me down though 'cause i've seen examples of people moving past that and it just gives me the power to believe in a brighter more loving future.

So a cynic, but not a pessismist :D

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
"half of humanity should die off"

no, it's usually just "humanity should die off".

I dunno OP. I'm kind of like you, in that I consider myself an optimist. People who love to hate seem to come here, and thankfully few of them ever venture into the basement.

So basically, you guys up here get to deal with them.

hahahahahaahaahah

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
A lot of teens (especially preteens) are gamers. Ergo, we get a lot of angst in the form of whining about companies. Some of it [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management]is justified, [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Games#Studio_acquisition_and_management_practices]though. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Kotick]

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:
No, what the Escapist has isn't a surplus of misanthropes. What we have is a surplus of people who THINK they are misanthropes, brought in by lure of Yahtzee and his weekly dumps on the world. And then they stay when they find the forums, a sufficiently validating dumping ground for their grievances with the world, their regrets in life, and their general angst.

But no, most of them aren't misanthropes through and through. They've just diluted themselves into thinking so, because the community here is accepting to those types. It becomes their alter-ego, in a sense. They can be as negative as they want to be without the consequences and demands of social norms that functioning real society offers.
I really wish sarcasm were easy to read. I will agree with you, though.
Lol, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being perfectly serious. From what I've seen these last couple of years, the Escapist has a lot of neat people, but too many of them are far too convinced that they are stone-cold, pillars of misanthropic logic in a world "overrun with idiots and losers." What they really need is a hug, a good cry, and something to get that stick that's been shoved too far up their ass.
Couldn't agree more! The whole Extra Credits debacle was a fine example of this.

And hilarious to follow.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
shrekfan246 said:
I believe this word will do you well, OP:

mis·an·thrope
noun
Definition of MISANTHROPE
: a person who hates or distrusts humankind

Synonyms: cynic, naysayer, pessimist
Pedantic police alert!

Those are not synonyms for misanthrope.
Seems to me that if you are going to do an authoritive dictionary angle, you should do it right.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
In my opinion, it's because people seem to think that being cynical and pessimistic all the time makes them seem more intelligent. It doesn't.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
People tend to get quite upset about first world problems.

LilithSlave said:
People here are negative?

Go to 4chan, you'll learn what negativity means.
08:00: get up, go to school/college/work
spend day separate from the main group of co-workers/classmates. Anger at world builds. Those women look nice. Shame they'll never touch you.
15:00-18:00: Go home. Shut self away from world. Masturbate and game, in no set order.
0:00: Hit the /b/oards and post stories of how much sex you're having, and that the only way to get women is to slap them around and be a dick.
02:00: cry self to sleep
repeat.

This is what I have learned on my sparing visits there.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
gabe12301 said:
Every other comment is "That greedy (insert company name here) is making money! RAAAAAGGGEE."
Geez, strawman much? Most people aren't complaining about making money, they're complaining about the way it is done. There's a large difference. Almost nobody thinks game companies should be NPOs.

I'm just happy that the company isn't going bankrupt and firing thousands of it's employees.
A shame that even when games are booming, companies are tightening their belts below the CEO level. They may not be cutting thousands, but while they try and stick it to us, they also hurt the guys you're glad they're not laying off.

or when you say "humanity has no value" or some bullcrap about how half of humanity should die off.
Really don't see it that often.

So? Back a couple decades, what you appear to be advocating was considered "bad consumerism." Are you really bothered that people aren't entirely lazy and apathetic yet?

I'm glad you've taken such a positive stance.