Why are you people so negative?

Wardi Boi

Aug 8, 2011
I don't see anyone negative here, maybe you get the occasional troll or something but otherwise; it's a pretty happy community.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Negativity is the default response until proven positive. It's the way of the world generally. And it's a lot safer that way.

Good things need to be earned, it can take lots of things to prove it, or something as simple as a small facial contort.

Silenttalker22

Dec 21, 2010
gabe12301 said:
You mad bro? ok but seriously. Am I supposed to call you depressing bunch optimistic and full of energy? or should I have made the text alternate between all the colors of the rainbow?
Yah, all my previous positive enforcement doesn't apply to you. You're either a common troll or just really negative. Your pick, but it's one of those.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
We are not pessimistic. We are realistic. Things just aren't that good overall at the moment in the world today.
Also what you say about us being able to buy consoles but that is not why we are complaining. We complain because of the state of the games.
We complain about humanity because people are overall from my experience just looking to screw you over with it maybe being about half and half split of good and bad. I have seen equal amounts of goodness to horror. For ever magnificent piece of art and good deed done, someone else has robbed and murdered or a helpless person taken advantage of.

We may be pessimistic in the grand scheme of things but we have good reason to be and have evidence to support our opinion.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Ok, you may have a point that we hate them because they are making money. But we mostly hate them for making money because they didn't their job right. For instance, when you would go out to buy a Maybach, a 400.000 dollar car, you expect everything to be perfect. Nothing but the best used for your car. But if you would then find out that the dashboard is a wheelie bin cut in half, and it's not running on all cilinders, the apolstery is coming undone after just a few hundred miles, then you would want your money back, right? A game might be a less expensive, but it's a multi billion dollar business, and I think it's reasonable to expect that Steam will do it's job properly. (In my case, ensuring that the MW2 map packs would work after I'd spend 30 bucks buying and downloading them.)

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Many suck at making friends in real life.
Or are ugly I guess, with the whole nerd thing going on.

I hear many are obese due to not working out.
Low self-esteem comes to mind.

I don't have any of these, but these are all things that could make someone whine about most anything.
And they will...always whine.
(This is ofcourse not limited to Gamers)

I'm still a happy guy so I don't really care about pessimists ^^

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
Why should I pretend to be happy if I'm not? That would just make me feel like a liar.

The world is a harsh place where the most terrible things happens for the most stupid of reasons.

May 29, 2011
I wouldn't really call it being negative as much as I'd call it being whiny. People need something to chher them up.

Do what I did, start using drugs!

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
Negativity happens. The amount you see depends on people's lives. If you spend the majority of your time, say...working a service-desk, tech-support, or cash register? Yeah. You're gonna see people at their worst. In contrast, try a hospital. Yeah, myriad bad things about it, but if you're gonna see people at their best, a hospital tends to be where you find it I think. It's part of the job for a nurse to be kind and encouraging to his or her patients. Nothing brings families and people together better and faster than helping others get better.

Yeah, I suppose that's a bit of a rosy description, but I think you get the idea. Alot of those who ARE cynics (as opposed to those who THINK they are and merely overvalue the few bad things in their life as opposed to the large amount of good things. Or they just think it's cool to be a Cynic.) are forced to see the bad parts of humanity day in and day out. It really does become tough to cling to hope after years of such exposure.

As far as games and gaming companies go, I think it boils down to this:

It's not that they're making money. No one knocks say, Valve, for making an arseload of cash. Why? Because they make GOOD games. What people get their collective undies in a bunch over, what they've REALLY got a problem with when they complain that some company is making money hand over fist for a game, is that they're making it for a game that is simply not worth it.

This comes up for CoD, Twilight, ME 2, anything that's generally considered sub-par or average but makes a hell of a lot of money. It's not that it makes money, it's that it's CRAP and it makes money. It's the disappointment they feel towards the people who PAY the company that money for something that really does not deserve it, when there are dozens, hundreds, THOUSANDS of other, better products out there that they feel actually DESERVES that cash.

This is a good, if different, take on the same kind of concept:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/3281-The-Numbers

When you see people complain about a game or a company, I think that's mostly what you're seeing. It's not that the company makes bankroll. Everyone I think can agree that people need to feed their families. But to make money, and obscene amounts of it to boot, on a mediocre product is just more than some of the folks here, and in other places on the internet, can stand.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
Its easy to understand, the last century didn't give humanity much reason to trust in human altruism( i take it you have a rudimentary understanding 20th century history at least).

The last ten years broadened the roster of banners under which evil can dwell to include every one and every thing.

i can't blame anyone for thinking the worlds out to screw them over after all that.

but i will try and believe people are good, thats all i can do.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
This really shouldn't be aimed at all of us, though I have seen some quite pessimistic topics. Instead of these people getting up and changing the way games are being made they'd rather sit at home on a computer and cry about it. Like right now I'm in the works of making a game of my own out of what I believe should be implemented in a lot of AAA games.

I guess if you're a pessimist you stay a pessimist.

Jun 26, 2010
I have to admit, I have had a rage or two on a forum or two, but that was more so when I was younger (13-15).
I think it has to do with the fact that most of the "misanthrope" people are young, elitist, emotionally immature, gamers who feel that their opinion is valid to the point of brink (don't get me wrong, it is valid, but just not if that opinion is someone else's, that they think sounds "cool").

But with forums, opinions get thrown around and it is very easy to get hotheaded if someone with a differing opinion than yourself is bashing your opinion. People (especially young ones) get defensive and will fight back, bashing the differing opinions, until they become the flamers themselves.
It's a cruel, vicious, cycle.

I think what everyone needs is a nice trip out to a green hill or forest, a cuddle and listen to Cat Stevens.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Cynicism is entertaining, which is why so many comedians are cynical (at least on stage). Cynicism also makes you seem cooler to people who cynics probably wouldn't care what they thought anyway. See "hipsters."

While not all cynics are like that, I feel safe in saying most of them are. What's funny are people who act like cynics but say they are optimists. If that's how they see it, then they must hang around with some truly depressing people to get that idea.

Not to mention that the culture of the internet breeds negativity: if you aren't the guy who bashes all the memes and such for being stupid, you're the guy who embraces them and calls the ones who don't stupid.

As for me, sometimes I come off as negative, sometimes I come off as positive (though probably more of the latter). I don't really care. I see what I see; the only thing I truly hate is ignorance, and the only thing I care to pursue is understanding. Everything else is superficial (note: superficial isn't bad).

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
gabe12301 said:
I'm having trouble understanding why so many of the people on the site are so pessimistic. Every other comment is "That greedy (insert company name here) is making money! RAAAAAGGGEE." I'm just happy that the company isn't going bankrupt and firing thousands of it's employees. or when you say "humanity has no value" or some bullcrap about how half of humanity should die off.

Plus gammers aren't exactly the most worst off group of people. We can afford a current gen console or a used ps2 if we're short on cash. In fact, some of us can afford crazy powerful gamming PCs.

My brain hurts just trying to make sense of you soulless depressed group of people.
i'm not depressed! i just like to complain about things, honest!

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
There does seem to be an abundance of angst on the Escapist now that you mention it, I guess that's what the demographic results in.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Personally I think it's because the people who always seem so negative and cynical and whatnot see themselves like this in their minds eye:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/199/e/1/cloud_ff_by_ziggi4812-d40j39j.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love a good ***** and moan as much as the next guy but I rarely feel the need to go and tell the bloody internet about it.