Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm not.

BOOM BOOM!

Ok, that's probably not enough content, so here is a picture of a Dalek:

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
For everyone who bitches and moans about their life, there are at least two people who cry that they are "too negative". Since we know that two negatives make a positive I would argue that the Escapist isn't particularly negative, but rather is full of self-righteous pricks.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
Golan Trevize said:
gabe12301 said:
I'm having trouble understanding why so many of the people on the site are so pessimistic. Every other comment is "That greedy (insert company name here) is making money! RAAAAAGGGEE." I'm just happy that the company isn't going bankrupt and firing thousands of it's employees. or when you say "humanity has no value" or some bullcrap about how half of humanity should die off.

Plus gammers aren't exactly the most worst off group of people. We can afford a current gen console or a used ps2 if we're short on cash. In fact, some of us can afford crazy powerful gamming PCs.

My brain hurts just trying to make sense of you soulless depressed group of people.
Really, that's all it takes? Okey, now seriously. :) This is the Internet, for everything you love, there are like 10 people who hate it with a passion. I've come to terms with the fact that gaming (just like most things unfortunately) is a business first and art or whatever later, at least for AAA tittles and just enjoy what I like, and don't care much for what I don't.
This person has said stuff that I took years to learn. Thankfully, it's better to late than never, right?

Yes, the Internet and the people in it will always try to make you feel bad about something you like, this is the reason why I dislike going into community's or social networks, because there will always be one douchebag who will make the experience sour for you.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Personally, I don't care what people think or how they act; simply because they are all online. And I know that if I were to meet many of these pessimistic people, I would keep walking and then go to the pub with some mates. And drink. Soooo muuuch.

I also like to consider myself an optimist. I prefer to see the good in as much as possible, and refuse to give up on things, irrelevant of how shit they may be (Hence why I get pissed off when I see people kill themselves in post-apocalyptic movies/tv series).

Golan Trevize said:
at least for AAA tittles
Dammit, I saw this from further from my screen than usual. I thought it said titties. I was all "Damn! Those must be some small titties! But I like titties in any shape and size!"

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
Shark Wrangler said:
Lets pretend your shopping at a mall with nothing but nerds in it. Okay so your wandering around and haven't decided what you want to buy. You pick up a t-shirt that you like and decide you want it. Go over to the counter and slap the shirt down with the money in your hand. Literally out of nowhere a nerd comes up to you and starts bitching about your choice in fabrics and colors. Kind of pissed off but hes harmless and you ignore him. Look up at the cashier and she puts in her two cents on how the shirt your buying is hurting the children in Africa. Okay now your anger is getting to the point of no return. You have another nerd come up to you and call you an asshole because only idiots buy red shirts. Get to the point of rambo and your only course of action is to shoot every troll in the face.
This is the perfect analogy.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
I'm negative because I've done enough stupid shit, had enough bad luck and generally had life treat me in such a fashion that, sadly, gives me a pessimistic and negative outlook in life.

I'm no angsty teen who cries out about how he has no faith in humanity, I just easily assume the worst will happen, or that something I do will fail regardless. True negativity, the worst kind, is a lot less out spoken and brash, and more like a slow creeping venom that eats you from the inside out. And I really have no idea how to stop it.
RAKtheUndead said:
Why am I negative? It could be the fact that I have at most twenty years of life left.
I've heard you say that before, something to do with living crappily as you do? Because in that case, it'd be your own fault.
Damn, don't you think that's a little harsh? You've upped the asshole level of this thread considerably.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
Their geeks, teenagers, atheists, and a lot of them are British; what do they have to be happy about?

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
Bipolar, PTSD, Chronic Depression and IBS, other than those, I'm pretty good.

Joepow

Jan 10, 2011
Lilani said:
Lol, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being perfectly serious. From what I've seen these last couple of years, the Escapist has a lot of neat people, but too many of them are far too convinced that they are stone-cold, pillars of misanthropic logic in a world "overrun with idiots and losers." What they really need is a hug, a good cry, and something to get that stick that's been shoved too far up their ass.
I blame House.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
The human mind is drawn to the darker things. I someone only sees the dark or light side of an issue, their opinion becomes moot.

Jovip

Aug 12, 2010
Alright, basically what is happening in our society is a mass overcoming wave of cynicism. People have the internet almost everywhere we go. the internet is an amazing invention but comes with this little ability to learn about almost anything and have whatever you want people to see open in seconds. The news is utilizing this as well, so are victims or war crimes and civilians in distress.

Now, this doesn't exactly justify people whining for no good reason but there is a reason it is becoming more accepted. people are becoming bitter as a race because of everything we are seeing because of the internet. I love the internet don't get me wrong but it is hard to be ignorant when the world is so easy to see now and as we all know ignorance is bliss, and bliss is happiness. Without ignorance you are pessimistic because reality sadly is a shithole (why is shithole spelled checked to shibboleth?) .

Example of this theory.

You go through life being abused and molested, dark i know but hear me out. You'll see the world in a darker light then everyone else. Sure after years the would will heal for the most part but it's always there. It will transcend into your personality even if you aren't consciously aware of it. Your pessimism or bitterness (insecurity's or whatever develops from the events) will reflect in the way you live. People that interact with you will get this slightly, then if they learn your story they will see a bit more of the dark side of people and therefore have their faith in humanity be drowned out just a little more.

So there you go, a hopefully in depth and psychological reasoning for why people are becoming more negative. hope it helps.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
It's been said before on every forum, but it bears repeating. We're not all negative, but the most vocal people are. Such is life in... THE INTERNET (Starring a vast majority of the population of all developed countries)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
KoalaKid said:
Damn, don't you think that's a little harsh? You've upped the asshole level of this thread considerably.
If I remember correctly, he said before that he pretty much neglects himself. And if that's indeed the case, his poor health is his own fault and nothing to feel sorry for. It also means that he could fix it. But instead of doing that he seems to spend more time self-flaggelation himself over the internet and blaming other people.

And honestly, I don't see why pointing that out is asshole-ish behavior. RAK needs some drastic stuff to snap out of the state he's in. He deserves it, because he's a damn smart young man who could do tremendously good things if he would set his mind to it. Do I still sound like an asshole now?

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
gabe12301 said:
I'm having trouble understanding why so many of the people on the site are so pessimistic. Every other comment is "That greedy (insert company name here) is making money! RAAAAAGGGEE." I'm just happy that the company isn't going bankrupt and firing thousands of it's employees. or when you say "humanity has no value" or some bullcrap about how half of humanity should die off.

Plus gammers aren't exactly the most worst off group of people. We can afford a current gen console or a used ps2 if we're short on cash. In fact, some of us can afford crazy powerful gamming PCs.

My brain hurts just trying to make sense of you soulless depressed group of people.
Look up the Wikipedia link. He's a US Navy Vice Admiral. While imprisoned in Vietnam, he said that it was always the optimists that died first, simply by running out of hope. They would try to lift everyone's spirits by claiming they'l be out of there by Christmas. Then Easter. Then Thanksgiving. And it didn't work.
Stockdale, on the other hand, believed that they would eventually get out, but was realistic about the scenario, so he didn't expect to be out soon. Instead of passing false hope around, he used the time to make life just a little more bearable.

That's what I do. I'm not negative, I'm realistic. Why concentrate on the good things when it's the bad things that need to be looked at and improved?

And I think humanity is awesome. We've landed ON THE MOON! That's pretty bloody amazing to me.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I have a chemical inbalance in my brain and with out my anti depresents i can't help but be sad all the time, is that a good enough excuse?

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
"You people"?
Let's give a big toast for generalisation!

The reason you think almost everyone on the site is negative is because you're selectively remembering what posts were negative and such, forgetting the ones that weren't; that's at least what it would seem like.

mrwoo6

Feb 24, 2009
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:
Snip.
Snip
Lol, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being perfectly serious. From what I've seen these last couple of years, the Escapist has a lot of neat people, but too many of them are far too convinced that they are stone-cold, pillars of misanthropic logic in a world "overrun with idiots and losers." What they really need is a hug, a good cry, and something to get that stick that's been shoved too far up their ass.
Oh god yes, this so much. I think a lot of the escapist users fail to understand or at least accept that the vast majority of people are in fact pretty clever descent people and that at the age of 16 you don't have all the answers to life.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
KoalaKid said:
If I remember correctly, he said before that he pretty much neglects himself. And if that's indeed the case, his poor health is his own fault and nothing to feel sorry for. It also means that he could fix it. But instead of doing that he seems to spend more time self-flaggelation himself over the internet and blaming other people.

And honestly, I don't see why pointing that out is asshole-ish behavior. RAK needs some drastic stuff to snap out of the state he's in. He deserves it, because he's a damn smart young man who could do tremendously good things if he would set his mind to it. Do I still sound like an asshole now?
I think I love you...

But I don't, sorry. I like what you said though.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Eh, what can I say, It's a shitty world filled with shitty people.

what's not to hate?