Why aren't you sick of Marvel Movies yet?

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
What i am sick of is the plot of iron man 1 over and over. I loved Dr. Strange, but it really did convince me that Marvel needs a new origin story. Also, part of the reason why i like Guardians so much was that it could do a team origin story without needing four separate movies building up to that with far less known characters

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Lately my enthusiasm for the franchise has waned quite a bit. Age of Ultron, Civil War and Ant-Man didn't grab me as much as the phase one movies did. Probably because at this point in time, Marvel has settled into a formula that, while serviceable, doesn't really have that freshness of the earlier movies. I now know the universe, the characters and I know what to expect of movies featuring them.

I did really like Doctor Strange, even though it follows the basic MCU formula. Maybe that's because I knew next to nothing of that side of the Marvel comic universe before going in. The basic framework was the same, but Strange fleshes it out with things that were new to me, thus making them more interesting.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Kenbo Slice said:
Jiub said:
Superhero movies got stale and wore out their welcome back in 2007, but you're discounting the fact that nerds will pay for tickets just because you put the name "Batman", "Star Wars", etc. in the title. It doesn't matter that it's always the same repackaged crap with a different director/lead actor/ costume.
As long as the fanboys keep shelling out their parents' money, these studios will keep cranking out the spam. Why do you think Disney bought the rights to Star Wars from Lucas? They're already making good on their promise to beat that franchise into the ground with movie after shitty movie from now til the sun goes out.

All you can do is not spend your money, and hope that over time enough people will start doing the same that it won't be worth it to make them anymore.
Yeah, fuck people for enjoying things.
Pretty much. I disliked Westworld, Zelda, Force Awakens, James Bond and MCU before Winter Soldier (Iron Man 1 being the one exception). I going to argue why all these things are bad but I'm not going to invalidate anyone who does like them (i.e. criticise the idea/ media not the person who likes it.)

MCU is okay. I do think they are way better than they used to be and if they keep improving I'll probably still go

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I got tired of these movies, so all I had to do was stop watching them. I'm tired of people talking about them like every single one of them is amazing, though. And that's not as easy to avoid because you can't just make a completely different group of new friends out of nowhere.

I don't like superheroes, but I watched the first Thor, Captain America and The Avengers, because of the action or because I liked some of the actors in them, but that's not enough to keep my interest. The last one I saw was... Winter Soldier, and after that I just feel like I've seen enough. They're not bad, but they're not that special either, imo.

ckriley

Mar 31, 2010
Sonmi said:
I am, I'm absolutely fed up with superhero movies and I can't wait until the damned fad dies out.
The superhero genre will never die because of one simple reason: they pay for all other genres. Even a crappy superhero movie (like Batman V Superman) will make a billion dollars internationally.

Superhero movies will typically make over 100 million USD on opening weekend alone. That figure doubles when you factor in the international haul which is where Hollywood makes most of its money.

The Hell Or High Waters out there exist because of superhero movies making ludicrous amounts of money for their studios.

So you can thank them for whatever your favorite genre or movie is.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
WolfThomas said:
I'm surprised about OP's opinion on Thor and Captain America. I thought those were pretty unique superhero films. Thor had this high-fantasy feel, with the whole plot being a god learning humility, rather than a human gaining powers. Captain America was a period piece about an unironic pseudo-nazi-fighting patriotic hero. Steve Rogers never needs to learn any story about "great power and responsibility", he starts the film with the morality of a saint, gains powers and never compromises his core-beliefs. As far as MCU films went I was the most worried about it, but it's one of my all-time favorites still.
I think part of what made Cap'n 'Murica a good movie is that he never had to go through the whole process of having a wounded baddie at his mercy and then wrestle with his inner morality over whether or not to pull the trigger. He didn't have to 'prove' his goodness to anyone. It was a nice change of pace from the usual GP&R lecture.

To the OP: None of the Marvel movie's I've seen so far felt like reskins of anything with the notable exception of Dr. Strange, which really was a fantasy reskin of Iron Man. Narcissistic main character with a bland female character hanging from his belt? Check. Traumatic accident that teaches him humility and reminds him of his own mortality? Check. Fantastic super-powers that he learns by using innate skills? Check.
The only real differences between those two movies revolved around the antagonists and what they were after. Otherwise... reskin all the way!
So my point is that I didn't feel MCU fatigue until Dr. Strange which in itself wasn't quire fatiguing due to it's humorous moments and (relatively) light tone. There's nothing quite like a bit of comedy, either physical or verbal, to lighten up a film. This seems to be something MCU films 'get' quite well. They can take serious films and drop in enough goofiness to keep things from getting too dour (like Civil War) and they can take inherently goofy movies and keep them from getting too bonkers (Like Guardians of the Galaxy).

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Eh, they're fun and lighthearted, and I enjoy that. Don't take themselves too seriously. I'd just not watch them if I didn't fancy it. I still watch GoTG every now and then because it's even sillier.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Zontar said:
Because despite what people say about them and ignore the fact that superheroes have long stopped being a genre, when you get right down to it there's more then enough variety within what they do to keep it fresh.

At this point it's like asking why you're not yet sick of big budget movies that have a heavy emphasis on effects.
Pretty much this. The Marvel movies are unique enough that they act as their own property. They just happen to have a unifying trait in that the characters are superhuman in some way and they share a universe.

Superhero movies are arguably the buddy cop movies of today. They spiked in popularity, had a lot that still hold up and will for decades, had some that were awful, and soon we'll get into the really weird ones and the ones that deconstruct the concept. Oh wait, Kick-Ass already happened.

Necrozius

Jun 21, 2016
Other then a few of them feeling a bit "meh" (Avengers 2... bleh) they were all fun and/or engaging. Civil War and Logan were extremely memorable for me.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Easy to not get fed up with something when you weren't that into them in the first place.

Seriously, not anticipating any comic book movies unless someone does Cloak and Dagger...

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Because I enjoy them.
Quite simple really, I think there is enough variety in them to make them unique and getting to know the character. The majority, with a small setting change and characterchange, could be any generic Statham actionmovie, but I enjoy those as well.
They are better than average movies in my opinion, so I continue to watch them.
And the world building is interesting.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I don't get the hate really. I enjoy them. Avengers 2 was not all that great and Thor 1 and 2 are definite low points but they have enough variety to stay fresh. It's not like we are getting only one type of movie out these.

The reason the hate confuses me is because I really don't see this snobbery attached to other genre films. Muscle bound action films of the 80s and 90s are not all that different from these. They had essentially superheroes without the costumes and I really didn't see anyone go "pfff another Arnold Schwarzenegger film. Why are people people watching this childish shit?" And it is specifically that the marvel movies are called childish that gets me. Arnold basically eats a grenade in Commando without dying and that's a good action flick(one of the best actually but I'll never call it realistic) but add a costume and a codename and suddenly it's childish. Whatever.

They are definitely going to wear out their welcome. If they cram too many more subplots in there then Infinity Wars is gonna suck. Not because comic book movies are stupid but because the movie format can't handle that much going on all at once. But I really am not feeling the fatigue. Dr Strange was pretty good. Guardians was fun. The Cap America film are actually a pretty good throwback to those 80s and 90s movies I mentioned earlier. As long as they are competently directed I'll probably keep going to them. Competent direction and a lack of studio interference is what makes them consistently more enjoyable than any of the depressing dross I've seen come out of DC.

Also it's better for me to have it established that a movie action hero is actually superhuman. It makes the literally unbelievable shit that goes on in a typical action movie a lot easier to swallow.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I wouldn't say I'm "sick" of them, per se. I just stopped caring a while back. At least as far as the Avengers universe goes. I watched all the ones leading up to Avengers 1, but since then all I've seen is GotG and Iron Man 3.

It just became too much effort to keep up with them all. From what I've gathered they're usually all pretty competant movies, but I just can't muster up the enthusiasm to watch any of them, because it comes with the unspoken obligation to see ALL of them in case you miss something from one that explains what's happening in the others.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Because most of them are good, at worst they're meh, there's only two of them per year, and with a billion different characters available to Marvel each movie can be pretty different.

Frankly, this whole "I'm sick of Marvel" I hear sometimes just strike me of "Stop liking what I don't like!". Just ignore it, like with the hundreds of other movies that come out every year and you don't care about.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Derp, because I like them/think they're pretty damn good? Controversial rationale, I know...
DaCosta said:
Frankly, this whole "I'm sick of Marvel" I hear sometimes just strike me of "Stop liking what I don't like!". Just ignore it, like with the hundreds of other movies that come out every year and you don't care about.
The antagonism and/or cynicism the MCU often attracts is peculiar. Regardless of subjective preferences it's an incredibly accomplished thing to pull off, and has been a huge critical and commercial success over the years.

Perhaps that's the primary thing which riles people; it's mainstream, it's popular. Perhaps, by extension, its inclusivity is also a major sticking point, i.e. it's 'nerd culture' that doesn't seek to exclude anyone, or restrict these kinds of characters and stories to a small group of insecure, insular, whining cultural gatekeepers.

Chanticoblues said:
I think we'll see the general public start to turn on them a bit too. The DC films are already treated skeptically...
You can't conflate 'people react to bad films' to 'people might be getting sick of superhero films'. Besides, even though films like BvS and Suicide Squad deserve skepticism and/or hazmat suits, they were still very successful, commercially.

...MCU is often criticized for samey character arcs
Do general cinemagoers really care about that? If they see different characters, novel setpieces, and well crafted films made by passionate people, surely pop-culture is merely doing its job, and then some. Marvel Studios clearly care enough about crafting characters that resonate with audiences. The MCU also convinced the mainstream public that a sci-fi film featuring a machine-gun wielding talking racoon and a sentient tree was a thing worth paying for... I'd say the MCU's enriched the mainstream.

And as for samey character arcs: unlike all the other genres, right? Because samey plots or character arcs are clearly the death-knell of popular narrative and spectacle...

...facetious, I know, but you get my point. If comicbook films or the MCU specifically are to falter, then it won't be because of repeated motifs with plots or character arcs. Oversaturation could be an issue, but the box office is still looking very healthy, and both Marvel and DC/Warner (if they can sort out their mind bendingly profound incompetence) have all kinds of weird and wonderful characters and events to draw from to keep people entertained and coming back for more.

...and the most talked about superhero flick at the moment is a kind of post-superhero film (Logan). Not saying they're going away, but I wouldn't say that they're trending upwards.
I've not seen Logan yet, but I don't see that as reflecting a trend towards anything 'post-superhero'. I feel films like it could only exist once the groundwork's been done, so to speak. The early X-Men films and Spider-Man 2 paved the way for Nolan's Batman and the MCU, and now comicbook films can pull off stuff like Deadpool, Logan, and properties like Daredevil and Jessica Jones on the small screen (I gather the newbie, Legion, is also pretty good).

If anything, Logan et al prove how much respect the MCU should be historically accorded.

I mean, jeese... Nerds generally had absolute garbage to contend with in terms of adaptations. Now? Now look at the benchmarks of overall quality, and the range of properties being adapted with real guile across TV and film. It's doubtful we've ever had it so good.

Roll on Infinity War, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and [probably/hopefully] the MCU Spidey.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Basically because of the same reason I play 'Overwatch': I enjoy it. The plots are formulaic, but since the start of the Cinematic UIniverse I know what I'm getting into. And as long as I feel entertained, I'll be watching them day 1.

However, if you want to talk about comic movies aside from the ones by Marvel Studios, my verdict will be different.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Darth Rosenberg said:
The antagonism and/or cynicism the MCU often attracts is peculiar. Regardless of subjective preferences it's an incredibly accomplished thing to pull off, and has been a huge critical and commercial success over the years.

Perhaps that's the primary thing which riles people; it's mainstream, it's popular. Perhaps, by extension, its inclusivity is also a major sticking point, i.e. it's 'nerd culture' that doesn't seek to exclude anyone, or restrict these kinds of characters and stories to a small group of insecure, insular, whining cultural gatekeepers.
That may be part of it, but under that premise, what does bug me is that the MCU still gets as defended as much as it does, with two movies being released per year annually.

Want some example of video game franchises that get annual releases? Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, Madden, etc. The latter two tend to be ignored, the former two are hounded for perceived lack of creativity left, right, and centre. Or, if we want to look at film franchises that have/will have annual releases, there's Star Wars (which while popular, is getting far more flak than the MCU), or, say, The Hunger Games, which had an annual release cycle from 2012-2015.

So, on one hand, the MCU is at the point of releasing two movies a year, and everyone loves them, while a number of franchises that release one installment per year get far more scrutiny. People will like/dislike what they want, but be honest, franchises like CoD are a punching bag, even for those who don't play CoD, while the MCU is put on a pedastal.

Darth Rosenberg said:
Do general cinemagoers really care about that? If they see different characters, novel setpieces, and well crafted films made by passionate people, surely pop-culture is merely doing its job, and then some. Marvel Studios clearly care enough about crafting characters that resonate with audiences. The MCU also convinced the mainstream public that a sci-fi film featuring a machine-gun wielding talking racoon and a sentient tree was a thing worth paying for... I'd say the MCU's enriched the mainstream.
Not a slight against it, but I'd categorize Guardians as sci-fa rather than sci-fi.

Still, Guardians does prove my point, that plot beat for plot beat, it's the same story as The Avengers, just IN SPAAACE.