Why Call of Duty may possibly be the best multiplayer shooter.

Nobby

Nov 13, 2009
Redryhno said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Pretty much anyone can pick up a sausage roll and eat it.

Does that make it the best savoury food of all time?
I second this statement
+many

There are certainly better multiplayer shooters out there.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
kian525 said:
i agree with you, cod is way too underrated. people hate the players, not the game.
I wouldn't say underrated, but when a person says CoD games are the best multiplayer shooters they shouldn't be immediately denounced.

Also, I know I've seen your avatar somewhere, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Sean Hollyman said:
CoD is the best multiplayer shooter because pretty much anyone can play it.
Sooo that's the main argument your going for there, that anyone can play it.....
Not Halo, not Battlefield, not Doom, not even Portal, but Call of Duty. What is it that makes CoD so accessible and not any of those games?

The game that really got me into FPS online multiplayer (and is still my favorite today) is Team Fortress 2.
The characters in that game have something that no other game does. The fact that they're all well aware that they can respawn, and thus do not take death or pain seriously in the slightest bit. I feel like this OP was meant for another thread.

Joby Baumann

Apr 19, 2011
COD's multiplayer isnt fun though, you either are bombarded by twelve year old shreiking voices, campers, snipers, over competitive asshats, noob tubers, spammers, more snipers, more campers, or a combination of any or all of these.

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
The thing is you can't use actual tactics in CoD. It's a sheer firefight. In Battlefield, one of my Marine friends routinely uses real life army tactics and just sweeps the other players, and those tactics are more or less unusable in CoD because of the different gameplay. So CoD in my opinion would be more akin to junk food; not exactly a bad game, but not sophisticated.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Sorry, not true. Until those 12 year olds aren't allowed to speak, it's going to be shit.

That and stop releasing a new one every year.

Evill_Bob

Nov 18, 2009
Maybe for the console but on the PC it's pretty much a tie with Counter Strike and Team Fortress 2. Console players might be a little confused by the second but Team Fortress 2 for the console barely resembles the heavily supported PC version. Almost every single gamer that plays shooters on the PC still plays one of these two games if not both. The communities for both are massive and players often talk about the community mods that add even more flavor to these two stables. As far as console games us PC players applaud (kind of like cheering being at the Special Olympics) the Halo series. We on the PC often enjoy custom community made maps and game modes and the newer games in the Halo series gives a rather simple but effective game mode maker and map editor. However no matter how hard they try they aren't going to create something as inventive and in-depth as VS Saxon Hale for Team Fortress 2.

In short, we PC Fascists? think you console players are just adorable.

Also, what happened to the Unreal community? Thinking back on good multiplayer here. I still see a bit of development, a few neat servers here and there. But nothing like it was back with Unreal Tournament 2004, that first year was insane.

Waddles

Mar 16, 2010
Nothing has ever come even remotely close to Goldeneye, even after all this time. CoD is no exception.

Evill_Bob

Nov 18, 2009
Waddles said:
Nothing has ever come even remotely close to Goldeneye, even after all this time. CoD is no exception.
What about everything that ever appeared in the history of ever in the paramenters of after the Nintendo 64? Like nearly any game from the following series: Tribes, Unreal, Quake, Half-Life, Counter Strike, Halo, Team Fortress 2, Metro 2033, and Killing Floor?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
"Best" and "most approachable" are different terms when it comes to multiplayer.

What if an even easier to pick up game existed but sucked more than superman 64? Would easiness to pick up make it still the best multiplayer game ever? If not, it can't do the same for CoD either, if it would, then it would mean nothing since the people would still not be playing something worthwhile.

PZF

Nov 1, 2011
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Sure, CoD is amazing when it comes to being an online shooter. There is only one problem...

Battlefield 2 already holds the title of best multiplayer shooter ever. It got one of those amazing infinity medals that means that nothing will ever conquer it. Sure, I gave it that infinity medal, but it still destroys every other multiplayer shooter I can think of.
I'll second that 100%. BF2 is without a doubt the best game ever made, IMO. A solid multiplayer with mod tools that created an additional 200 hours of gameplay for me. Still play it today. Still love it.

Cod4 would be in second though. The most epic singleplayer I have ever played. Sneaky sniping, AC130 gunship, getting nuked. I can remember running the training run and gun 50 times to try and beat infinity wards time. Multiplayer was good as well.

As for Mw3 multiplayer, I really don't see how people can not get tired of constant run and gun and all those same maps (with extras they pay for). I played Cod4 MP a lot. Enough that Black ops MP bored me. I skipped Mw2 and will skip this one too.

TheCommie12

Feb 25, 2011
usmarine4160 said:
I think Battlefield is the best multiplayer game simply because it requires more finesse and control. Keeps those casual types out
I agree, and I battlefield team work is very important in winning a match. Like you need people you know how to properly use the squad system, tanks/APCs/MAAs.

Also Battlefield has vehicle combat :D

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Games like Battlefield and Halo are good yes, but I would think that for a casual game night with some family or something, they wouldn't really be suitable.

CoD is the best multiplayer shooter because pretty much anyone can play it.
Why would Halo not be suitable, but CoD would be? That doesn't make any sense. I've actually found Halo to be the more pick-up-and-play friendly game because the regenerating shields don't deplete as fast as the regenerating life in CoD.

If you honestly think that CoD is more pick-up-and-play friendly than Halo, that's fine, you just don't give a solid reason as to why and I'm not seeing why.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Pretty much anyone can pick up a sausage roll and eat it.

Does that make it the best savoury food of all time?
Also this. Just because something has wide appeal that anyone can get into doesn't mean that it's "the best."

Your average McDonald's moves ten times more burgers a day than Five Guys Burgers and Fries because just about anyone can scarf down a McD's burger on the fly and receive some modicum of enjoyment from it. Does that make it superior to the Five Guys Burger?

Hell. Effing. No.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
A game shouldn't be considered good if its easy to pick up and play; a game thats easy to master by doing so is even worse. Hard work pummeled into the game should be the defining factor between what makes and breaks a game. Its why fighting games are still around.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Irridium said:
But does it have hats?
I was just linked to this thread by a mate asking if I had a post in here. But with your post, I don't have to.

But fuck it. Let's do this.

Sean Hollyman said:
No, I'm not trolling. Yes, I know CoD has a lof of flaws, and is downright stupid at some times. But what makes Call of Duty so great as a multiplayer game is that it's so easy that anyone can play it.
Stop right there.

I'm wondering if we're even playing the same game here. Even the people who are good at the game and enjoy it, absolutely hate it if they're on a losing team. Somehow I don't think someone who just picked up the game for 5 minutes will enjoy themselves.

You know, not everyone has to be an awesome or regular gamer to play and enjoy a game. Games like Battlefield and Halo are good yes, but I would think that for a casual game night with some family or something, they wouldn't really be suitable.
NEITHER WOULD COD. Have you ever paid attention to the community of that game?

I'm in no way saying it's the best shooter
Glad to see we're on the same page there, at least.

but it's the overall best multiplayer, because anyone can play and enjoy it. Isn't that what gaming is about? Having fun, playing with people you know, and enjoying it?
A- I- What? Just because it's possible that some non-gamers may be able to enjoy a quick game does not make it have the best multiplayer of all time.

Srs bzns

Feb 4, 2011
mrdude2010 said:
It's called Halo: Reach. Can't aim well? Don't worry, they made it nearly impossible to fire quickly and hit your target at the same time, so all those people with unfair hand/eye coordination advantages are reduced to firing at the same speed as everyone else.
This is why the new no bloom update is a beautiful thing.

OT: No. Just nooooooo.

I'm buying MW3 no doubt, I love Infinity Ward's CoDs. Naming Call of Duty the best MP shooter ever though is fucking ridiculous.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I don't count extreme levels of accessibility as points in a game's favor... tends to bog down the experience for folks like me with a downright intelligence-insulting lack of complexity.