Why Derivative Game Design Doesn't Matter

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
There's a difference between being inspired by a series and trying to copy it. For example, if you play Yakuza, and then play Sleeping Dogs...yeah, the latter definitely was at least in the same class as Yakuza, if not sneaking peeks at its notes, but it made sure to not just be "Yakuza, but Triad".

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's a difference between being inspired by a series and trying to copy it. For example, if you play Yakuza, and then play Sleeping Dogs...yeah, the latter definitely was at least in the same class as Yakuza, if not sneaking peeks at its notes, but it made sure to not just be "Yakuza, but Triad".
Additionally, all Sleeping Dogs did was add on to what was its spiritual predecessor, True Crime: Streets of LA. SD was supposed to be True Crime: Hong Kong, but that end up being canceled, and turned into the game you now see before you.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Additionally, all Sleeping Dogs did was add on to what was its spiritual predecessor, True Crime: Streets of LA. SD was supposed to be True Crime: Hong Kong, but that end up being canceled turned into the game you now see before you.
In which True Crime was inspired by GTA, and deeper and deeper the hole goes until you hit Tetris.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just realized, outside of a few early 3D games, I never played too many Mortal Kombat ripoffs. Aside from Primal Rage, and technically Killer instinct. Man I am glad for that. Because most of those clones were not good.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Derivatives aren't anything new in any medium. Anytime something is popular, there are people who copy it.

Back when Seinfeld was airing, there were a TON of Seinfeld clones. Even to this day, there are South Park, Simpsons and Family Guy clones.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Back when Seinfeld was airing, there were a TON of Seinfeld clones. Even to this day, there are South Park, Simpsons and Family Guy clones.
And most of them sucked. The South Park clones especially. There's a reason why a lot of South Park clones died out in the mid 2010s. Most of it was just gross out and shock humor with little or no substance. Shallow edginess for the sake of edginess. The Family Guy clones were mostly Seth MacFarlane ripping off himself. American Dad & Cleveland are basically the same show with minuet differences. Now we got Rick and Morty clones for the past couple of years. Once again, a majority of them are not that good or worse. I don't even care much Rick and Morty. I heard Inside Job is pretty good on Netflix. From what I seen, it looks like a clone, but goes off and does its own thing. There's also that Star Trek animated spin-off, which is a similar art style to Rick and Morty, but is on its third season now, so it did something right.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did anyone else ever notice that despite Crash Bandicoot being marketed against Sonic and Mario during the time, the series (mainly the first game) PS1 trilogy took most of its inspirations from Donkey Kong Country? Crash obviously became its own thing and had its own unique twist and platforming, and I'm all the more happy for it. What's even more ironic though, is if you play the first two GBA games, the resemblance to Donkey Kong Country is even more noticeable.

Back then and now, I still care for Crash and Sonic more than Mario. Mario I like, but somewhere after Galaxy, I didn't care for him as much. I cared more for DK just before that point.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There is a lot of farming simulators coming out on Nintendo Switch now. I get Stardew Valley was popular and everything, but that came out back in the mid 2010s. Before that, it was Harvest Moon, and later Farmville (that one didn't take too long to die though). I am happy to see The return of more old school style, traditional rpgs, but once again, about half of those have some type of farming/life simulator in them. They're still not my thing though. If I ever do decide to try one, it's more than likely going to be Live A Live.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
There is a lot of farming simulators coming out on Nintendo Switch now. I get Stardew Valley was popular and everything, but that came out back in the early 2010s. Before that, it was Harvest Moon, and later Farmville (that one didn't take too long to die though). I am happy to see The return of more old school style, traditional rpgs, but once again, about half of those have some type of farming/life simulator in them. They're still not my thing though. If I ever do decide to try one, it's more than likely going to be Live A Live.
I dont mind all these semi relaxing games. Cult of the Lamb might be my goty.

However i wish they didnt all get announced at the same time. It does feel like a flooding of the same type of thing and that is going to make some of these games get overlooked. And it might be the best game in the set that draws the short straw.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know stealth in horror games is nothing new, but really didn't become mainstream in zombie games until after The Last Of Us. Not that many zombie games did this, but after Evil Within 1 & 2, I noticed more AAA horror games coming out either this year or next year are doing this. First there was Callisto Protocol, and now RE4Remake is using stealth too. It looks like AAA survival action-horror is making a comeback too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Callisto Protocol can now be added to the list for worst kind of derivative.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Without even reading the article, I can attest it is true. Trying to replicate what's popular "today" looks really foolish when the finished product doesn't come out for 2 years plus delays. And I'll always encourage innovation over "what's popular/what sells" any day.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And I'll always encourage innovation over "what's popular/what sells" any day.
At the same time, I don't need every single developer, publisher, or console maker to "innovate" every single time either. Nintendo proved why it doesn't always work, and I am not just talking about the Wii or Wii U. Their reason to keep "innovating" is why we don't have a new F-Zero or why certain other popular 1st party IPs are stuck in the vault or have unnecessary gimmicks after decades of not being on the scene. To follow such an ideal to an absolute is worse than a double edge sword.

I don't mind games taking influences from each other, and there will always be follow-the-leader no matter where you go. My big gripe is when you copy something so blatantly, only to make things worse, not improve anything, or go way of your way to screw over the gamers, consumers, or people just wanting to have fun. Too many of these assholes don't care about gaming as a whole and only see numbers and "recurrent user spending". Most of them never learn from their mistakes or will make the same mistakes later on when a different trend occurs. Capcom, for all of their faults, learned heavily from this and back to just doing their own thing now.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I kind of like the cycle we have where the innovation comes from the indie and AA market, and when those mechanics take off the AAA-industry comes in and perfects them. It's less risk for both customer and company, because indie games are cheaper to make and buy, so if a new innovation sucks then not a lot is loss. But if AAA tries to reinvent the wheel and it sucks, then that's a lot of money the company wastes and a lot of money for us if we buy at launch.

The AAA sector should be safe, but polished. Where you are basically pretty sure you'll get a decent experience at worst when picking up a AAA game. If you want to try something new, try an indie.