why do americans "dislike" europeans?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
kiwi_poo said:
I was wondering why Americans (not all of them) say Europeans are ugly and never wash.
Americans are actually Europeans anyway, right? so why do they insult Europeans?

And another thing: why do American racists say immigrants should go back to their country?
Wouldn't that mean that they should leave back to Europe and stop whining? Or are they all just massive hypocrites?
While many people will talk about the ignorance of the US (especially people in the US) I think a lot of the problems come from European ignorance and their accusations of the same thing from us. By and large Europe does not have a free press despite what the people living there might think, and their freedom of speech is far more controlled than most realize. Censorship, both politically and culturally is practiced in many parts of europe, this is what leads to a lot of the discussions about "National Firewalls", you have countries that are VERY concerned about their people having true, unfettered access to information.

I look at things like the "Oil For Food" scandal as an example. France didn't support the "War On Terror" not for the reasons it claimed (the war is wrong, we love peace, etc...) but because they were breaking the embargos set by the UN through that program and making massive bank. When this was outed the French people were pretty much the last ones to know.

You also have situations like how we have "The War On Terror" called "America's War" yet one of the problems was that we had no real intelligence services at the time of the 9/11 attacks since Bill Clinton had largely disbanded them and/or tied their hands for political reasons. A lot of what we did was based on European intelligence which is what makes things sort of contreversial here. Yet even in strongly allied countries (like the UK) you have a lot of anti-war sentiment without any acknowlegement of the role they played in starting the war.

The European Union more or less starting a trade war with the US also doesn't help matters any, as it seems we've pretty much got a massive economic squabble going, and Wall Street and the European Common Market grappling with each other over who is going to be the dominant world power.

Pretty much for every Anti-American attitude in Europe, there is a Pro-American or Anti-European one here. The back and forth isn't especially surprising under the circumstances.

As far as the body odor thing goes, well let's just say that I've worked with a lot of Europeans coming in with work programs over the years, and it's been discussed. I think it has a lot to do with where in Europe (and where within a country) your dealing with. I've heard explanations ranging from a natural odor being "manly" and that only women shouldn't smell, to the explanation that it's not that Europeans are dirty, but Americans are ridiculously clean. The differance being one of taking a shower every 2-3 days and taking one or more every day not to mention intermittant washing. On top of this I've also been told bathing in large parts of Europe isn't easy because the water quality is REALLY bad with pipes the better part of a hundred years old (and which were never set properly). Being able to drink tap water being surprising to some people who have come into this country from accross the pond. Of course most of these people were from Eastern Europe.

-

As far as how we treat immigrants, one of the big problems with the US is that a lot of people come here for the benefits of American citizenship, but do not want to actually become Americans. This leads to people acting like whatever they acted like back in their home country, not learning to communicate with english, continueing old grudges against other groups, etc...

The American attitude can be hard to understand for nations that have had more selective immigration for a very long time. In general in the US you can walk down the street and find people of a bunch of differant ethnicities, or using differant languages, with little problem. Throughout most of the world (outside of tourist areas) this is not the way things are. You go to say France and pretty much everyone you see is French, you go to China and pretty much everyone is Chinese. This is not the case with the US, and while this is one of our greatest strengths, it's also one of our biggest problems.

To put things into perspective, look at how France almost quit the EU before it formed due to concerns about people being able to come into France from other parts of Europe and collect French benefits, or even just stay there more or less indefinatly.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I think it is the feeling that Europeans always feel they are superior, while we in North America know "we" are superior.

Seriously though, I just hate European Cars, I feel Europeans are just like everyone else.

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
kiwi_poo said:
I was wondering why Americans (not all of them) say Europeans are ugly and never wash.
Americans are actually Europeans anyway, right? so why do they insult Europeans?

And another thing: why do American racists say immigrants should go back to their country?
Wouldn't that mean that they should leave back to Europe and stop whining? Or are they all just massive hypocrites?
Well, this is a kind of complicated question. Yes, many of us (I am American as well) do feel this way. Most of it comes from sheer ignorance and from unfounded xenophobia.
However, not all of us share this belief. I personally don't feel this way at all. I don't ever like to say that an entire country shares one belief, because only the most vocally retarded are the ones that are hear.
So in conclusion, some of us spout this racist nonsense out of sheer ignorance, while others of us thought this issue through rationally and came to the correct conclusion.

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
Yes there are some American jackals who hate Europe for no reason. And there are some Americans who dislike Europeans because of the rudeness of some Europeans jackals.

I suspect it goes both ways.

And yes, it is incredibly stupid to hate an entire nation because their leadership committed them to a war that cost your nation's arms dealers billions in defense contracts. (Although we ended up giving away the oil contracts to Dutch Royal... I mean c'mon, if we're going to spend blood and treasure for whatever reason, we should've at least been able to make a profit... doh!)

And don't give me that, "Americans should be more involved in their government/democracy" tripe. More than a few of Europe's nations have equally bad voting records.

And not all Americans are of European descent. (Or full ones for that matter.) That is kind of racist and offensive to generalize.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
kiwi_poo said:

I wasn't aware that we did. Are you just trying to flamebait? Because otherwise this question is just silly.

And you're asking about racists. Why would those kinds of people make sense? Racists exist everywhere.

And not all Americans have roots in Europe--I just feel I should point out. America, despite "everyone else" saying it isn't, is very multicultural. We have large populations from Asia, Africa, the Middle East and South America.

Elburzito

Feb 18, 2009
Julianking93 said:
They do?

I haven't noticed.

About the European thing not the immigrant thing.

I hear people ***** about immigrants all the time.

Ahem... I "*****" about immigrants all the time.

OT, probably for the same reason we Europeans constantely stereotype Americans, atleast in my country.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I don't really see this attitude at all, except among the ignorant. And even then, the attitude is only among the ignorant who actually think about Europe in any way. There are a whole lot of people who have no opinion on other countries.

In any case, if you are asking why the ignorant say these types of things, well the answer to that is obvious. They don't know any better. If you've never met a European, all you are likely to know about them is the stereotypes, since those are the things that don't require any kind of research.

Actually knowing anything about a country other than your own requires some form of motivation to learn. And there are a lot of people unwilling to do any learning. I would say that was true throughout the world though.

But don't feel bad. The same people who say European's are backwards and unwashed are also saying derogatory things about their fellow countrymen. These types of people are really good with generalizations and stereotypes. They don't discriminate when it comes to stereotyping.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
Personally, I like Europeans. Particularly Hugh Laurie.

I dunno, I've never really looked down on Europeans before. Sometimes I make jokes like "This morning, the French 'White Flag Factory' was destroyed, crippling their military force'", but generally I like Europe.

jgraha19

Nov 9, 2009
Tinq said:
Okay, firstly, obesity is a huge problem here in the states due to our sedentary lifestyle and high-fat diet. We marvel at how the rest of the world stays so trim with many of the same advantages and services. Second, America's primary export is culture, but there primary import is all that American crap they build in other countries because it is cheaper, so we don't really know what the hell the rest of the world is like and more often than not have to resort to what is presented in the highly White-America slanted Hollywood film machine. Anyone who really thinks GI Joe was about an international unit of super-soldiers is delusional. If you really want to know how American's view the rest of the world watch Team America: World Police. The opening sequence is in France and all the major landmarks are within a mile of each other.

The hypocrisy of America stems from the fact that everybody gets a vote, so policy can be made by someone with completely different world-views. What's more,as a land of immigrants it's difficult to really justify any form of population control.

Upside? In it's brief history America has never been occupied, and has only been attacked a handful of times. Starting in the twentieth century all the wars we've fought have been on foreign soil.

American's think the French smell, the Italians are touchy-feely, the Spanish and Portuguese are Mexican, the English are snobbish, the Irish are drunk, the Scottish are Irish and the Welsh are English, anybody east of Germany is a communist, the Greek all look like Lucy Lawless, Scandinavians are loose-moralled, peaceful and awesome (really, there aren't any real negative stereotypes there outside of and assumed love of sex) and that everybody else is German. You should see what we have to say about other Americans!

anyone who reads this take it with a grain of salt. This is the kind of crap that makes people think that American stereotypes are true. They're not. I love how everyone seems to be jumping on Americans for being out of touch with the rest of the world as they themselves make gross exaggerations and false statements about Americans that rival any ignorance that I've seen in America. and as for the Team America: World Police, while it is a parody of ridiculously republican people in America, it also serves as a joke for us because we know that that's what a lot of stupid Europeans think of when they think American. Just something to keep in mind.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
kiwi_poo said:

Flawed premise.
Not All Americans hate pretty much anything. Hell, that's the entire reason for all the idiotic political back-and-forthing making me turn off the TV and turn on the Xbox. It's why I'm so out of it with current events.

Personally, there are probably a few Europeans I do hate, but that has nothing to do with thei continent of origin. I'd hate them because they're brash, abrasive, close-minded jackasses. The fact that they're European? Never enters the equation. I hate many Americans for the same reason.
Some people that happen to be American hate some people who happen to be European. Their nationalities are, more often than not, not factors in the equation, stop making them one.

RE: The "Immigrants issue". You'll notice that that's the lower, working class on average making such a complaint, because honestly, we need jobs, too. I have yet to say "Them damn' Immigrants be takin' our jobs!" because I figure that they, also, need the jobs, and it's logical for an employer to hire out the cheapest resources - which is the illegal immigrant, pretty much every time (They don't benefit from minimum wage and can't unionize, for example).
The rest of it can be chalked up to a vocal, racist minority.
Not all college students blow off all their classes spend the entire time shit-faced and humping everything in sight - that's in actuality, a vocal minority.
You're looking at trees and blaming the forest.

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
I live in America, but I don't have a problem with Europeans. I actually have more of a problem with Americans, or sometimes more to do with the way America is being handled, than anything to do with other countries and continents.

Travis Austin

Jan 13, 2010
I get the impression that Europeans think they are superior to Americans(I assume you mean people in the US)sometimes.

I don't dislike Europeans anyway, and racist Americans say that because, well, they are racist.
Unless they're illegal. That's breaking the law.

Snor

Mar 17, 2009
Due to extensive amounts of high quality research conducted by me, using the "google test" I find that when typing in americans in my own language in google.nl images, i get pictures of fat people on the first page, whilst typing into google.com: dutch, i recieve pictures of nice young ladies, flags and candy.

concluding: americans are fat and are jealous because we have candy, girls and flags

also why do people dislike the french? i know i dislike them but hey that has reasons XD

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
I see it as it's not so much hatred, but it's like the competitiveness between sports teams, or cross-town highschools; "Boo, generic-town-name West is better than generic-town-name East" and alla that.

Also, after almost 300 years, we're not European anymore.