why do americans "dislike" europeans?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
As an American I think oppositely Europeans are awesome and Americans suck.... perhaps its due to the distance and my hating people issues...... *giggles*

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
Every country complains about Immigrants. It's especially grating to hear it in Ireland all the time, because we've done immigration to a fine art. So, this is hardly an american thing, every country has it massive share of xenophobes.
Oh, stop... It's ridiculous. I think I'm grown up enough to admit that I experience some discomfort myself with the whole thing. I mean, it's rather unsettling to walk to down Patrick Street in Cirk City and pass a gaggle of people chattering in languages I don't understand, but at the same time I work with a lot of Polish people who are some of the funniest, hard working and decent people I've ever met.

We're just not used to it. We're still not. The other day this little school girl approached a friend of mine collecting for a charity, I can't remember which, but while she had obvious African heritage, she had one of the strongest Cork accents I've ever heard :)

Yes, Ireland's changing from the levels of immigration, but if you ask me- it's about time. Hopefully some day soon we'll all just get over it and realise that if the people who immigrate here stay here, it's because they not only find jobs, but forge friendships here and integrate into Irish life, and enrich it by doing so.

It's the same with any country, really, but I think it's worse here because there has never been such a diverse wave of newcomers. We're kinda isolated geographically, and I think that in a certain way this is reflected by a cultural isolation.

Another thing - Ireland has no pure blood Irish. To be Irish, by definition, you are a mix of something going back hundreds of years- Irish, Welsh, Norman, English, Scottish or Scandanavian. Dublin, Cork and Waterford were all founded by Viking kings who married into the medieval Irish aristocracy

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
kiwi_poo said:
I was wondering why Americans (not all of them) say Europeans are ugly and never wash.
Americans are actually Europeans anyway, right? so why do they insult Europeans?

And another thing: why do American racists say immigrants should go back to their country?
Wouldn't that mean that they should leave back to Europe and stop whining? Or are they all just massive hypocrites?
Way to over generalize, and prove yourself to be as racist as those "hypocrites" you bash.

I hope you're trolling as this level of stupidity is overwhelming.

Not all Americans are racist, infact it's just a minority. Judging a population by a minority of morons isn't right. Maybe Americans should assume all Europeans are racist thanks to your post.

Grow up.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
It's not necessarily ignorance. It's fanboyism. The same reason people say the Xbox is better than Playstation and vice versa. They are saying it merely to make themselves feel better about their own lives. The difference is fanboys KNOW what they're saying is a gross overgeneralization, and they are fully cognizant that it is not true. EVERY country, state/province, city, and group of people does it.

Europeans are no different. Take, for example, your premise that Americans hate Europeans. Based on what? comments on the internet? the 5 or 6 American tourists you've met? Is that an accurate cross-sample?

The point is, and this is my main thesis, people suck. It's the price of individualism and free will, but I think we can all agree that hive and slave mentalities are far worse.

StarofAzura

Lady Nerevarine
Mar 22, 2010
I really don't like the use of the word "all" or the implication that Americans all fall in one group. I don't hate or dislike any Europeans - in fact, some have been my closest friends in times past. For the longest time in high school my best friend was a fellow from the UK - and I'm from the South (which is not entirely the inbreeding mass of intolerance that everyone stereotypes it as).

The only thing that ever actually makes me frustrated with Europeans, (and anyone else) is the stereotyping of Americans as all the same, come to think of it. It pretty much creates a reputation that I can't rise above no matter how nice or respectful I try to be.

bloodychimp

Jul 22, 2009
kiwi_poo said:
I was wondering why Americans (not all of them) say Europeans are ugly and never wash.
Replace the word "European" with "French".

kiwi_poo said:
And another thing: why do American racists say immigrants should go back to their country?
Wouldn't that mean that they should leave back to Europe and stop whining? Or are they all just massive hypocrites?
We call them "white trash" for a reason.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Chancecall said:
That's like asking why Europeans hate other Europeans. Americans aren't really Europeans, they're more like Americans.
Well I was thinking we were more like Russians... But your thought is good too. :p

Angelcraft

Apr 15, 2010
Akira Fumi said:
One reason: the differences between the two. With all the stupid crap America has been doing, I'm not surprised if they hate us back. :p
You are Europeon? I thought you were from Calafornia.

Angelcraft

Apr 15, 2010
I happen to not "dislike" any Europeon and I am very much an American citizen. I envy some Eurpoeon nations and I see myself moving to one in the not to distant future. I like some of the fiction that comes out of that side of the world, Tolken, Doctor Who, Douglas Adams... just to name a very, very few.

I had no idea that we hated Europeon peoples. I know that France and the US don't get along because of Vetnam (France ruled the area before, got pushed out, US tried to bla, bla, bla their dick in, and then got burned... hard. France didn't want US putting their dicks in the mix in the first place, and so on, and so forth).

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Sovvolf said:
So given that most movies produced from Britain take place in London (and some Americans seem to think London is the only place in England) I don't think the Stereotype is unjustified.
And then you can add Americans don't come to London often as you hardly see a British around here these days.

May I ask why suddenly everybody hates the French?!

copperflyingace

Apr 12, 2009
Correction, we tell Illegal immigrants to go back to their country of origin. I'm down with legal immigrants, cause they often make better Americans than natural citizens. In other words, if you come in through my front door, I'll invite you to eat dinner with me. If you sneak in through the back door and start eating shit out of my fridge, I'm gonna have to call the cops.

I actually like Europeans. I've only met a few I didn't like and it was for reasons other than their nationality. I'm not really a fan of the European governmental system because it seems a bit Orwellian at times. I've actually been meaning to make a trip to Europe sometime. Perhaps this summer when I have some extra cash laying around.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Maybe it's because some Americans act like twats.
Or is it because some Europeans act like twats?
Or maybe it's both?

Who knows, perhaps we're all twats!

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
If anyone over here dislikes Europeans it's because you ***** that we don't go see enough of the world, then when we do go to your country to see the sights and maybe learn about your culture a bit, you're rude and tell us to get the hell out "fithy Americans." I have to pretend to be a Canadian when I leave the US or I get treated very poorly.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
xanith02100 said:
Same reason any other country dislikes any other country: blatant ignorance and/or stereotyping.
Agreed, ignorance leads to stereotyping and dislike.

Nothing else really needs to be said.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Between Prejudices and Hypocrisy i'd say, maybe because due to constant wars (and mostly victories) in our 1500 years of history... (i talk mainly about my country).

dontcallmemuffin

Apr 18, 2010
ignorance and rasists, but i think say some of the blame might go to the media, we over advertise the trajedies and stupities in loads of countries but we find it hard to except are own, i only heard of americans hating europeans once (but seriously the irish jokes are getting old and annoying, yes we are the largest binge drinking country in europe, its not great its bad, especially to those of us who dont drink, if you want to make jokes about us fine but dont repeat the same ones over and over again, when its not funny your the only one laughing)
its always a bomb blew up here because so-so is from so-so.
history is history, dont dwell on it. if it happend a 100 years ago it happend, dont blame it on people who werent even alive then.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Vitor Goncalves said:
May I ask why suddenly everybody hates the French?!
Well it's not a sudden thing, France as been hated since the dawn of time :D. Though it's probably the same reason as Europeans being hated by Americans and vice versa. We Brits do actually have old reasons to hate France as well as the French having reasons to hate us... I mean the amount of times we've been at war with each other is staggering... one was lasted 100 years.