Why do games have friendly fire?

Rauten

Capitalism ho!
Apr 4, 2010
For realism, or to make certain weapons not so easy to use//abuse (specially explosives).

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Furburt said:
Because real life has friendly fire.
Lucky then that real life has considerably fewer "friendlies" shooting at you for their jollies.

It's an interesting name, too. Doesn't feel very friendly when you're getting hit by it.

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
Remember kids. It isn't team killing if you like it.

or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
It stops people from spamming various weapons (grenade launchers, grenades, RPG's, ect.). I've always enjoyed friendly fire. Although in MW2 it's a pain because there's a lot of douches on there who like to friendly fire teammates for shits and gigs... annoying.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
So you can kill those fucking AI companions who keep getting in the way.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Realismfags obviously.

It's to keep a game realistic but if you wanted realism you could join the actual army.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
To force players to use more skill. There should definitely be a "No friendly Fire" option of course, though matchmaking games seems against giving players options.

It works really well in Left4Dead where friendly fire seriously adds to the sense of desperation (When you can knock-over a teammate with one shot from a first tier shotgun).

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
if you find it annoying, it must be because people are doing it to you. why are they doing that? you probably suck online and they don't like you AND when they do kill you, you flip out and it probably looks hilarious.

this is the reason anyone team kills anyone.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
D Bones said:
ummm...because in real life, bullets hurt.

"That's what I've been doing to people? I belong in here."
simpsons right?

no wait family guy!

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I love friendly fire in Call of Duty 2 when it's set to reflect (for pub games). You shoot someone you take the damage, keeps you not getting punished for teammates, certainly stops TK greifing and keeps the skill level of not wanting to spray everywhere/random nade spam.

Friendly fire on TF2 can be quite funny though, I would hate to play L4D without friendly fire.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
So that people have a new way to grief their teammates and get angry online.

EBass

Nov 17, 2009
I don't find it surprising that this thread is from someone called "Shoot and Hope".

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
I like friendly fire because when the shit hits the fan and me and a few other guys are the only players left to fight off the enemy in an infestation match for example.

I like the fact that I can shoot one of them in the legs so they are left crippled and vulnerable to being eaten alive while im running for my life as fast as i can safe in the knowledge that someone else is being killed instead of me!!

What games should do is give me the ability to mark my own teammates with a sign that the other team can see and shows them the stats and weaknesses of my teammates while projecteing their constant position and holding up a large sign that says:

EAT ME FIRST!!

Chris^^

Mar 11, 2009
it should be there, but not in normal multiplayer matches

and i think it unfair in games like CoD where you lose the mission for one nonessential friendly kill.. especially when the AIs are so damnably stupid that they come and stand in front of you whilst you're firing.