Why do games have friendly fire?

DarkDain

Jul 31, 2007
Some games need it to limit the AoE attacks that could be too powerful in many situations.

PrimoThePro

Jun 23, 2009
Different game mode because I prefer to play with a team, and I notice that more serious players play on hardcore. (Because some love to run and gun) If there is a total douche, leave game.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
EBass said:
I don't find it surprising that this thread is from someone called "Shoot and Hope".
+100 internet points to you my good man.

My opinions have already been voiced. It discourages using dumbass tactics that aren't feasible in "real life" situations, and it brings an additional layer of skill to the game.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
shoot and hope said:
What is the point off friendly fire? There is so many idiots that do it on purpose and it is so annoying.But also you might do it by accident then you get shouted at for it so why have friendly fire?
So that the AI dose not rape you from behind..tho... I tend to kill off the AI when I can...and they wont let me.......stupid modern day moral code......*grumble grumble*

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
It's definitely because games nowadays are striving for realism. I don't really see anything wrong with it, especially if it is just another option to toggle.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
A faint, futile, grasp at reality? And probably an attempt to stop retarded people from spamming or spraying. An attempt to force some thought into their shooting, if you will.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
because you have evil people like me who like to try and shoot their friends?

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
So you can shoot that stupid person for doing something incredibly stupid, laugh and tell your friends what you just did then hilarity ensues :D

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
because it gave us this

hmm embed code did not work... anyone want to help a fellow escapee out?

noogai18

Feb 21, 2008
So that people can do something about the moron who either a) doesn't listen or b) talks too much or both.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
To add some realism to the game and to give you the chance to take your anger out on that fucking stupid NPC.
DIE YOU HORRIBLE EXCUSE FOR AN ALLY! DIE!

Apr 29, 2010
Speaking of all this, why the hell is it called friendly fire? Because it sure isn't fucking friendly when the guy next to you "accidentally" unloads a clip in your face.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Games like left 4 dead have it to stop people firing indiscriminately and spam shotgun everywhere to win. Anyone who griefs would be kicked straight away, and you need your teammates to survive anyway, so it promotes tight tactical play. In bigger team games though, the possibilities for griefing are too large, it just gets annoying...

shoot and hope

Apr 12, 2010
mega48man said:
if you find it annoying, it must be because people are doing it to you. why are they doing that? you probably suck online and they don't like you AND when they do kill you, you flip out and it probably looks hilarious.

this is the reason anyone team kills anyone.
No I mean just genarally like when they do it to other or by accident but some good points.