Why do PC Gamers Oppose Using a Controller?

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
It entirely depends on the game type. RTS or FPS? Give me a mouse and keyboard. It's what I'm comfortable with, know and love.

However, there are some games, like Saints Row, where I find the controls just work better with the controller. Maybe it's because the controls work best with using a controller because they weren't intended for a keyboard. Maybe it's because I'm just horrible at driving (Break? Nah, I'll slow down by ramming into other things!) But I prefer to use a controller.

So I don't have anything against controllers. It just depends on what I'm doing.

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
I have more experience gaming on PC and I prefer a mouse and keyboard. However, if the game clearly controls better with a controller (like platformers and fighting games) I will user a controller. This is the same reason I use a joystick for flight games and space combat titles.

I'm not opposed to using a controller I just prefer one input over the other.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Hm this again eh?

First think about this: What can you do with a KB+M that you CAN'T do with a controller?

Then think about this: What can you do with a controller that you CAN'T do with a KB+M?

Make two lists, compare them and I think you'll have your answer.

Omnicide

Aug 6, 2011
This level of precision is not possible with a controller.

Mouses in any game that require precision (shooters, RPGs, etc) have the advantage of there being some kind of direct ratio between mouse movement and reticle movement. Controllers in such titles, instead of having a movement ratio instead have a reticle acceleration, which is a problem if you at scoping into that headshot and overaccelerate the target, hence why aim-assist exists.

I played through Skyrim, Mass Effect, Saints Row, etc on my computer with a mouse, and I thought the experiences there were stellar.

I also bought the Assassin's Creed series on a steam sale, and no matter how I mapped the keys I found the first game unplayable. That's when I plugged in a 360 controller and had a much better time. Considering the changed control schemes of later games, they may be playable with a keyboard but I haven't tried.

Platformers (2D and 3D) and fighters would be better with a controller. Someone mentioned driving games as well. Anything else, though, would just be a better and more in-depth experience with a mouse and keyboard.

identifier

Aug 4, 2012
Mouse trumps stick. Stick trumps WASD. Keyboard has more buttons! Extra pair of arms would be handy. Then I could use all of them, all the time, at the same time.

thehermit2

Nov 1, 2009
I'm a PC gamer, almost exclusively nowadays, and I have a definite bias against console controllers. I can think of three ways PC controls are "better" than a console controller:

1) The mouse lets you control both direction and sensitivity to a high level of precision. Not many people run Photoshop with a controller instead of a mouse, and I know which one I want aiming my sniper scope in-game.

2) The keyboard keys can in most cases be rebound as needed, which is a little less important now than it was a decade ago before keyboard layouts became more standardized, but still comes up frequently.

3) The comparatively limited number of controls on a console controller versus that of a keyboard means that PC game controls do not have to serve multiple functions. This is most noticeable with games that have been ported from console to PC, although as developers put more thought into simplifying controls for simultaneously console/PC developed games, this has also become less of a problem.

Ultimately these biases mean that I just don't spend much time with a console controller in my hand, and using one is awkward and unintuitive. I can own the field playing Left 4 Dead on a PC; on a console I just embarrass myself.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
As it happens, I do own a joystick. One of those fancy HOTAS things, for all my flight/space sim needs. I also have a controller that I sometimes use for Euro Truck Sim 2, but I really should get a wheel for that.

That's it though. I use a controller for one game. Anything else I play, plays better with mouse and keyboard. It's also vastly more comfortable to use, has all the buttons I could need and offers greater control of fine movement.

I've owned consoles since the early 2000s but a controller is not second nature to me. It feels unwieldy and adds a layer of frustration between me and the game. Like playing with oven mittens on or something. Everything becomes clunky and soupy.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
So I'm seeing more than a few responses here suggesting that the main reason for not wanting to use a controller is because of some sort of superiority complex that all PC gamers apparently have. Now, I know this may be the case in a few instances, but (as many before me have pointed out) there is a much simpler, and less hostile reason why many PC gamers prefer mouse and keyboard even for games where a controller is arguably better.

The reason is that I am familiar with the mouse and keyboard, and I am not nearly as familiar with a controller. It's that simple. I don't prefer M&K because I believe myself to be a god walking among mortals, I prefer it because I'm just not very good with a controller, and I find it distracting when I use one because I am not used to the feel or the control setup.

Honestly, why do so many people have to jump immediately to 'elitist' when there's a much more obvious answer right in front of them?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
00slash00 said:
Why do PC Gamers Oppose Using a Controller?
The only time I've seen vehement opposition to controllers is when playing FPS games, because a mouse and keyboard is inherently and unarguably superior.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Because PC FPS games don't have an aim assist, and aiming without aim assist while using a controller when you are used to using a mouse is nigh impossible to do.

So for FPS games at least, most PC Gamers will cling to mice because they are more accurate.

As for other games, I don't really know. I'm a PC gamer but I actually prefer the controller most of the time now for racing games or things like assassins creed. That's probably because most of those games feel like they were designed with a controller in mind and with PC as an afterthought... but now I'm just starting to sound bitter.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Most PC gamers arn't, you just don't hear from them because they don't need to say anything, the ones who can't imagine playing games with one voice their opposition in forums and comments.
It goes both ways too, some people can't imagine using a mouse and keyboard to play certain games, just not as many.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
i don't. only point-and-click games and FPS's work well with keyboard + mouse, and they just happen to be the most popular games on PC (for years) so that's probably why you hear people say it.

however now a days we got a huge mix of games on the PC, many which play better with a controller. i have a ton of PC controllers and i use them often, mostly for platformers and 3rd person games.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I don't, I use my 360 controller most of the time, even in FPS games.

Definitely there are games that are impossible to play with a controller, like Tribes: Ascend or any game with RTS controls or most MMOs (The Secret World plays fantastic with a controller).

Fleaman

Nov 10, 2010
PC gamers do NOT oppose using a controller. PC gamers oppose using a controller for games to which they are unsuited, as the PC is miraculously blessed with the keyboard and mouse as a second option. A controller makes Assassin's Creed better, but Starcraft entirely unplayable.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
I love using my controller for games as long as they don't involve shooting. Though this is mainly due to me being a lazy bum wanting to sit back in my chair while playing. Anyhow, I don't have anything against controllers.

I actually want kind of a crossover between K/M and controllers. Replace the keyboard with a pad with an analogue stick and loads of buttons up and left of it, the other hand on the mouse as usual. Perfection.

glider4

Mar 27, 2012
I don't mind either but I would rather play a shooter with a mouse and keyboard anyday. I wasnt aware people were opposed to using a controller. Perhaps it's to go against the people that say "huh mouse and keyboard wasnt made for video games so they suck. And new players players can't use a mouse and keyboard cuz controllers are easier," even though pretty much everybody has used a mouse and keyboard but non gamers are unlikely to be familiar with a controller