why do people get so hyped for dual weilding

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Kajin said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
Why do I say a sword, or a large axe? Because any nitwit who takes a look at medieval history will see what weapons left survivors on the battlefield.The sword is the most versatile of weapons (Namingly the european longsword for most makes) and only a peasent who couldn't afford a real weapon would take a knife into battle. Why? Because the enemy is most likely going to rain arrows on you first off (Shield comes in handy then) run over you with heavy cavalry (ever tried to stop a chain skirted horse with a 10inch blade?) or send in their own peasents. The 3 ft blade (Long sword) was the best weapon you could have next to a spear (Theres a reason why spears and lances were used in armies even into WW1 compared to swords which were more a decoration of rank) as it allowed you to keep your opponent at range, was made so that every surface was a kill area, and allowed you to parry weapon swings with much ease. Try parrying ANY weapon with two long knives. If you read up on your medieval history, you will see that one of the biggest advantages one could have, was killing their opponent before their opponent could get in range to kill them. And I am sorry to say, anyone conscripted into an army with any amount of denari would quickly invest in a longer weapon they could actually defend themselves with. The Pitch fork with all honesty was far more useful then a knife, as it could actually range an opponent compared to the knife that made you pretty much have to fuck your opponent just to be lcose enough to use it. Stop watching anime, or looking at assassin's creed, or lord of the rings, etc for how real battles went.
YAY! An actual argument!

I wasn't referring to medeival warfare with any of my arguments. If I'm going to be going into pitched battle on the open fields for the love of god it's gonna be the biggest sword and shield I can wield effectively. Situations vary, however. The biggest advantage of the knife is that it was small enought to be hidden easily and could be pulled out at a moments notice. There are numerous situations where a knife would be far more effective than the sword, the most common of which would be narrow spaces or heavily forested terrain. All of a sudden that range the sword is giving you that you were so proud of on the field of battle is practically useless because you have no room to swing whatsoever. Since my weapons are smaller, I do have room to swing while you yourself can only attempt to stab. The playing field is just about even because I have the terrain working for me in my favor now. My speed and ability to attack unrestrained are now my strength while your strength and ability to otherwise reach me from a distance have now become your weakness. It's still a matter of who lands the first blow, a feat that is now severely hampered for you.

As I keep saying time and time again, there are other factors to be considered other than the weapon and your skill with it. Environment, manuevarability, tactics, these factors vary by scenario and so should your weapon of choice.

Take for example the roman legionaires. Their use of weaponry as the ultimate defense made them so formidable that no man in his right mind would go up against such a force. Lured into forested terrain, their coordination was heavily disrupted by the terrain and taking them out could quite conceivably be childs play. Documents from that time period have testified to that.
Heres the problem with bringing up terrain. It is NOT because it rendered the swords useless, a sword was just as good at stabbing as anything else and can still out range your knife, while still being able to parry said knife swing while injuring your arm in the process. Why the legionaires lost was due to a few factors
1. Unfamiliarity of terrain.
2. Untrained in fighting in such terrain
3. Forest terrain rendered their team tactics and strategies moot.

I bet you out of all the enemies that routed the legionaires, only 1-2 of them who could afford better used a knife of any kind. A short sword at the least. Forests really arent as dense tree wise as you might think. Underbrush is a ***** yes, but not as many new trees grow as the forest gets thicker. Why? Because the canopy the trees form prevent the much needed sunlight from fully nourishing new seedlings. And again, you bring no point up that promotes the use of actual evidence of dual wielding being effective. Heck, you even negated by yourself one upside to using a single knife in battle, let alone 2. A narrow hallway is a killing field for short ranged and unshielded soldiers, why? Because as you said, we can only stab. But with spearmen down that hall, what good is your dinky little dagger going to do in terms of getting up close to the spearmen or swordsmen who has a 4 foot reach and doing a killing blow. Since you have a knife you obviously won't be too well armored, and the most chainmail would do (what soldiers normally wore for metal type armor) is help prevent the blow from going through you, a killing lbow would still be very easy, and possible with you outranged and forced into a narrow hallway.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Gmano said:
I have to tell you guys that dual wielding was quite popular in european martial arts.

for instance the "main gauche" which is literally translated "left hand" as it was a parrying dagger that was held in the left hand while fencing.
Problem. That was fencing. An artistic sport. Asian cultures also had numerous setups for those artistic, scripted (Or ring style) fights. Nodachi and Jitt. Katana and Jitt. Katana and Wakazashi. But there is no records of anyone actually letting their troops use such styles in combat.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
obex said:
two swords one legend, Iceingdeath and Twinkle you all know who im talking about

One prob- Four problems with this:

A) He is an elf.

B) He has spent most of his life mastering that two-handed fighting style

C) He is naturally ambidextrous.

D)He could throw something like a dozen coins per hand into the air (by flicking his fingers, so not that high) and catch them all before they hit the ground the first time he did it as a child. And he did it without really trying all that hard.

Drizzt is, in essence, a natural two-handed expert with almost superhuman reflexes, hand-eye co-ordination and speed with hands. Even the Drow considered him a natural expert and that training him as anything other than a warrior would have been a colossal waste of talent. And they are fricking Dark Elves.

So no dual wielding for us mere humans, specially not with firearms, if you want to hit something other than yourself.

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
Technically, Scottish Jacobite rebels dual-wielded. They carried a sword in their right hand and a shield over their left forearm with a dagger in their left hand. They advanced as a block, shoving the enemy back with their shields while raking them with their dagger, then chopping down with the sword as they stepped forward. It was a fine strategy until the English ordered their men to attack the man diagonally opposite them rather than directly in front and, well, this happened:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Culloden

FanofDeath said:
when playing D&D, one can base his character around dual wielding and I have to say that those characters shred the living fuck out of everything.
I think we have a winner here. In the KOTOR games there is absolutely no reason to use a single weapon (except a double-blade lightsaber) once you're level 12 or above. The drop in accuracy is negligible if you've gone for the two-weapon fighting feats and the difference in damage dealt is incredible. The thing is, the opponents of dual-wielding are probably imagining different combat situations from the proponents. There's a time and a place for it, and that's when you're about four feet from your opponent, missing isn't really a worry and the only priority is making the other dude drop before you do. At close quarters you become an unstoppable murder machine- at long range it's only marginally more effective than shouting at the bad guys.

-Nick

Tanfastic

Aug 5, 2009
It's like "Hey I have one... NO WAIT! Two pistols that i'ma shoot you with!" How awesome is that?

Hazardlife

Jul 14, 2009
Dual-wielding uzis while diving sideways through a window in slow motion in Max Payne is always fun.

Other than that, the only other time I've liked dual wielding was in Halo 3, since it lets me wield two different weapons at once. I can run around with a plasma rifle or brute spiker in one hand, and a brute shotgun or overcharged plasma pistol in the other.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
It's double the fun (two pistols is better than one, right?). You get to kill faster. Plus, it hasn't been seen in CoD before. If you play games with it, you'll see that it's kind of fun. Not more or less fun, just a different kind of fun.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Kayevcee said:
At close quarters you become an unstoppable murder machine- at long range it's only marginally more effective than shouting at the bad guys.

-Nick
Using firearms, if you are within fourty feet of your enemy, you have done something seriously wrong. And if you want to be in that kind of situation, then you brought the shotgun, assault rifle or machine pistol with you. If you didn't, you are an idiot.

Dual-wild anything larger than a semi-automatic .38 and only your first shot at best from either weapon will hit the target, because the recoil will have the weapon pointing at the ceiling. And even with a .38 that requires considerable arm-strenght and a good strong grip.

Whereas, with a few hour's worth of training you will be able to do the double-tap shot with speed and accuracy.

With non-firearms, the only advantage with dual weapons longer than a knife is that with long, arduous training you have an extra angle of attack against the enemy. If he is not trained and experienced in fighting against multiple opponents/weapons, you have the advantage.

But with the same amount of training you would simply pwn him with a single weapon.

When using knives or such as dual-wielded, you have to be careful to not cut yourself. You also remove some blocking maneuvers in exchange of having the second blade. Again, well trained with a single blade, you would simply pwn your opponent as trained practitioners of knife-fighting can deal you a dozen slash-wounds within seconds with just a single blade. A few slashes more with the extra weapons and extra training is just too much effort for not nearly enough gain.

EDIT: Now, in games most of these problems are circumvented. As is expected. After all, we can't let reality intrude on our fun now can we? Or alternative the character is a jedi/power-armored Space Marine/Vampire/a God etc who are by nature not limited to real human performance.

Sev72

Apr 13, 2009
Aside from looking awesome? Not much. What games are you talking about anway? FPSs, or MMORPGs, or RPGs, or what? By the by, dual wielding the guns from portal would indeed be the best thing ever. Back when I played WoW my Tauren Warrior looked pretty badass dual wielding 2H swords and it didn't even look that ridiculous either given the arm muscles on that thing. Now, two pistols in Modern Warfare 2 is a little odd granted, but it is in my opinion simply to get all the noobs to wield two guns rather then use grenade launchers, so really I support it.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
WhiteTiger225 said:
Heres the problem with bringing up terrain. It is NOT because it rendered the swords useless, a sword was just as good at stabbing as anything else and can still out range your knife, while still being able to parry said knife swing while injuring your arm in the process. Why the legionaires lost was due to a few factors

I bet you out of all the enemies that routed the legionaires, only 1-2 of them who could afford better used a knife of any kind. A short sword at the least. Forests really arent as dense tree wise as you might think. Underbrush is a ***** yes, but not as many new trees grow as the forest gets thicker. Why? Because the canopy the trees form prevent the much needed sunlight from fully nourishing new seedlings. And again, you bring no point up that promotes the use of actual evidence of dual wielding being effective. Heck, you even negated by yourself one upside to using a single knife in battle, let alone 2. A narrow hallway is a killing field for short ranged and unshielded soldiers, why? Because as you said, we can only stab. But with spearmen down that hall, what good is your dinky little dagger going to do in terms of getting up close to the spearmen or swordsmen who has a 4 foot reach and doing a killing blow. Since you have a knife you obviously won't be too well armored, and the most chainmail would do (what soldiers normally wore for metal type armor) is help prevent the blow from going through you, a killing lbow would still be very easy, and possible with you outranged and forced into a narrow hallway.
*Sulks*
Yeah, pretty much the only advantage to a knife is it's ability to remain hidden. Damn you and your logic! Gah! It burns us!

The only anime I've ever watched that implemented dual wielding was one piece and if anyone ever used that show as a basis for how the real world worked I'd lose every ounce of faith I have left in humanity. I've also never played assassins creed, so nyah to your bad self

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Kajin said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
Kajin said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
Why do I say a sword, or a large axe? Because any nitwit who takes a look at medieval history will see what weapons left survivors on the battlefield.The sword is the most versatile of weapons (Namingly the european longsword for most makes) and only a peasent who couldn't afford a real weapon would take a knife into battle. Why? Because the enemy is most likely going to rain arrows on you first off (Shield comes in handy then) run over you with heavy cavalry (ever tried to stop a chain skirted horse with a 10inch blade?) or send in their own peasents. The 3 ft blade (Long sword) was the best weapon you could have next to a spear (Theres a reason why spears and lances were used in armies even into WW1 compared to swords which were more a decoration of rank) as it allowed you to keep your opponent at range, was made so that every surface was a kill area, and allowed you to parry weapon swings with much ease. Try parrying ANY weapon with two long knives. If you read up on your medieval history, you will see that one of the biggest advantages one could have, was killing their opponent before their opponent could get in range to kill them. And I am sorry to say, anyone conscripted into an army with any amount of denari would quickly invest in a longer weapon they could actually defend themselves with. The Pitch fork with all honesty was far more useful then a knife, as it could actually range an opponent compared to the knife that made you pretty much have to fuck your opponent just to be lcose enough to use it. Stop watching anime, or looking at assassin's creed, or lord of the rings, etc for how real battles went.
YAY! An actual argument!

I wasn't referring to medeival warfare with any of my arguments. If I'm going to be going into pitched battle on the open fields for the love of god it's gonna be the biggest sword and shield I can wield effectively. Situations vary, however. The biggest advantage of the knife is that it was small enought to be hidden easily and could be pulled out at a moments notice. There are numerous situations where a knife would be far more effective than the sword, the most common of which would be narrow spaces or heavily forested terrain. All of a sudden that range the sword is giving you that you were so proud of on the field of battle is practically useless because you have no room to swing whatsoever. Since my weapons are smaller, I do have room to swing while you yourself can only attempt to stab. The playing field is just about even because I have the terrain working for me in my favor now. My speed and ability to attack unrestrained are now my strength while your strength and ability to otherwise reach me from a distance have now become your weakness. It's still a matter of who lands the first blow, a feat that is now severely hampered for you.

As I keep saying time and time again, there are other factors to be considered other than the weapon and your skill with it. Environment, manuevarability, tactics, these factors vary by scenario and so should your weapon of choice.

Take for example the roman legionaires. Their use of weaponry as the ultimate defense made them so formidable that no man in his right mind would go up against such a force. Lured into forested terrain, their coordination was heavily disrupted by the terrain and taking them out could quite conceivably be childs play. Documents from that time period have testified to that.

*Sulks*
Yeah, pretty much the only advantage to a knife is it's ability to remain hidden. Damn you and your logic! Gah! It burns us!
Yes, feel the burn! It means the logic is working inside of you! Turning you to the darkside!

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
because everyone is in love with cod... thats the only reason i can think of. plenty of games have done it before, but when it comes to cod it is BADASS!

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
tpizle said:
The_ModeRazor said:
I'm not even sure you're from this planet.
OT: because it's fuckin' awesome. And looks totally badass. That's rather obvious isn't it?
im not saying it doesnt look cool what im saying is how does it make the game better than it was with one gun
Because now it looks cooler, apposed to when it didn't look as cool.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Why are there huge arguments going on about whether dual wielding is feasible or not? Of course it bloody isn't, no-one in their right mind would dual wield in real life, it would be stupid. Which is why real life sucks.

Bottom line is, dual wielding is cool, and you know it.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
1. These things usually take place in video games and movies, thus reality of reloading doesn't have to be a big fuss.

2. Aesthetics, style, etc.

3. The idea of More is Better.

Pretty much all of those things. I like dual wielding when it comes to melee weapons and pistols. I also like two handed weapons and einhander-ing things. In short, I like having options...

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
If you've ever played Unreal Tournament 3 you'll know the death dealing epicness that is dual weilding raptors. Slaughtering in all in your path with a hail storm of white hot ownage.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
It's really just plain awesome.

How do you make a kick ass gun better?

By making it so you can have two.