Why do people hate Mojang?

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
r0kle0nZ said:
The reason people are hating on Mojang, is just that many of them are afraid of change in the industry. Not used to simplicity only to over complicated stories about saving the galaxy or stopping a revolution. In my opinon, Mojang has done the greatest amount of work in the past year compared to bigger companies like Valve or Bioware.

So, I'm going to go play some Dragon Age 2 while listening to my Minecraft Ventrillo. Peace
Incorrect good sir. There isn't really any hate. It's more extreme annoyance at the fact that a company with an unfinished game is beating companies who have established themselves as good developers. If Minecraft was finished or if they had some more games under their belt, I doubt as many people would be annoyed. I don't hate Mojang, but they definitely don't deserve to win MM.

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
Ask yourself, why do you hate WoW? It's addictive but not even that good. Something like Mass Effect 2 is (to some) addictive because is it a true masterpiece of gaming. Minecraft is just an accident some lucky bastard is making millions out of.

itstimeforpie

Jan 6, 2009
mad825 said:
Quite the contrary, Mojang hasn't even made one complete game yet. I would call that unfair by the fact they won but hey that's my opinion.
Yeah, other than that, I have nothing against them.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
People that rant about Mojang don't play Minecraft or don't get the appeal and accolades it has won- or they're minecraft players who think that Notch and the Crew are just sitting around not doing anything- or rather want updates faster than Mojang can keep up with.

That said, I do wish there were more frequent updates and some bugs addressed, but I need to keep in mind that it is a beta and things will be constantly tweaked for awhile to come, that and I was under the impression that the guys were able to sit back and enjoy some deserved down time for making one of the best games I've ever played. Notch took a vacation and some people got annoyed at that idea... wtf

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
I'm completely indifferent on the matter.

I am a bit surprised that Mojang, who too my knowledge are just the creators of Minecraft, which is not even a complete game, can beat out gaming juggernauts like Valve, Nintendo, and possibly Bioware.

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
No actual hate for the company here but the thing I do not care much for is that two of my friends have become rabid twats who you can hardly talk to about games with them without having them mention their beloved jewel Minecraft which they'll never shut the fuck up about wanting me to try it out and then join their infamous die-hard fanboy hordes

Still, I feel it necessary to congratulate Mojang on one thing as one of my friends never cared much for videogames before playing Minecraft, on a side-note, I do appreciate innovation and new thinking if it works better than the old methods that has been used before

Personally, I am more of a Bioware fan so I'm a little sad that Mojang beat them in the MM by just making one extremely popular game that is not entirely finished, while Bioware has games like Mass Effect and KotOR (KotOR being my favorite game of all time)

Mojang doesn't deserve the hate if they get any at all but the rabid fanboys is what I've got a problem with
here's an example:

I'm at school, we've got a lunch break and to entertain myself while eating I take my iPod out and start playing iCopter (Look it up!) so after a while my Minecrafting friend notices i'm playing it and says the following: "Omg, your playing that game and you say Minecraft sucks" While I've never said anything about Minecraft sucks, I do not really think that is a fair comparison

I guess I could end this rant with saying that Minecraft could be fucking awesome and really fun for those who get into it but I do not manage to enjoy nor get into it myself because I do not have an equal taste when it comes to what is a great,good or shitty game.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Bobbity said:
We don't. It's just that we're annoyed to see it beating out the old favorites: Valve and Bioware.
not so much this the fact that Mojang's rabid fan-base (and Notch calling on fans on Facebook to come to the site and vote not unlike what Zynga did last year) messed up my bracket severely

krugerrand123

Apr 6, 2010
I dont hate them at all, they actually seem talanted, it is just that they are winning a developer competition with the beta version of a game, while other companies have put many hours many good games.

badreaper74

Dec 12, 2010
Well seeing how Mojang won the little tournament that makes them popular. Once something becomes popular people start to resent it. Can't explain thats just the way it is.

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
warcraft4life said:
I hate them! Seriously, it was a great game that's addicting and simple - but it's getting wayyyyyyy to much appreciation - it's JUST lego except there's a never ending amount and it's even harder to find :mad:
Yeah your right, and the thing about lego is that you could make your own stuff, create your own projects and goals and play in a community. I may not be the biggest fan of the game myself, but the appeal isn't some grand mystery, it gives you the tools to make your own fun.

Stevanchez

Apr 15, 2009
forsinain42 said:
Stevanchez said:
forsinain42 said:
zpucek said:
Why do people LOVE Mojang?
Because they are a game company that doesn't care about profits/commercial success. They are a company who do what they love and that love comes through in minecraft.

I get the same feeling from double fine and to a lesser extent. valve. They are people who really want to make games and it shows.
Yeah. I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one.

Do they make you pay for the game?
Then they care about profit.

Did they not just ask all of their fans to further their exposure by voting and getting the word out about their game on a widely veiwed gaming website?
Then they care about commercial success and exposure.

Come on, let's not make it out like their the one pure light in the dark world of evil gaming corporations.

I don't hate Mojang, I don't like their game, I don't think they deserved to win MM, but it's not that big of a deal and the extremes on both sides are REALLY ridiculous.
Notch wanted to make this into his job, sure. But he charged £8, not £50 and yet minecraft is the game I've spent the most hours in EVER. For people that care solely about profit look at activision.

'Oh? Call of duty MW2 is the most wanted game ever? Well, lets up the RRP by £15 and charge £15 for 3 new maps.' That is money for moneys sake. The result? A sup par shooter that is vastly inferior to the charm and character of minecraft.
So because they charge less then other companies they are more noble. By that logic, Wal-Mart and McDonalds are the most virtuous corporations on the planet.

There are exactly 2 reasons why they charge £8 and not £50:
1) They don't think they can. If they thought they could charge £50 for Minecraft without losing their customers, they would.
2) They can get by on £8 per customer. As everyone has discussed, they are a very small company with a very low budget product. They only have to pay a few employees(less than 10 from what I've heard), whereas those corporations(who you so quickly demonize) like Activison, Bioware, etc. have to pay thousands of employees who are trying to put out the best product possible with all the resources they have(hence a very high budget).

These guys aren't developer saints, they are just business men who know their product and know their marketing limitations.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Since when do people hate Mojang? Everyone I've met internet or otherwise gives them nothing but praise, I really don't see the big deal about Minecraft TBH I tried it maybe it was just my frustration with my computer not being able to run high quality games but I just couldn't get into it.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I don't dislike them. Before this MM thing, I didn't even know who they were. I don't care about Minecraft or Mojang and I want Bioware to win cause of their sheer mileage presented in Mass Effect 2, not cause I don't like cubes.

What I do hate though, is the amount of fanboys that have registered just to vote. And not just for Mojang, but for Bioware as well. These are not real results and it saddens a bit that BW will lose just cause the amounts of fans of the game registered in this site has doubled or tripled during the last few weeks just for that forsaken poll.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I don't hate Mojang. I just don't think they've made remotely the contributions to the industry and the medium that someone like Valve or Bioware have.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Because they feel Mojang is undeserving of being placed over other developers. And there's a point there, Mojang is yet to release one finished game wheras everyone it defeated in March Mahem had at least done that.

I'm not saying Minecraft is undeserving of praise but it is only one good idea, and a pretty simplistic one at that. It's the fad du-jour at the moment and given this people, myself included, don't think its developer deserves the tag of being declared "best developer overall". Best up-and-coming developer"? Sure. "Best indie developer"? Why not? People seem to have gotten carried away with their adoration of Minecraft and excitedly voted for Mojang, ignoring most logical thinking and making their excuses to give the top honour to a developer that barely deserves to be called a developer.

The hilarious thing is that those who have argued against this are the ones being dubbed 'fanboys'.

I don't hate Mojang, I haven't really given Minecraft enough of my time to warrant having an opinion. For my money I see it as being fun and incredibly addicting, (which is why I haven't really given it a chance.) I just thing the unprecedented praise is premature.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
I think its unfair that a company that does not have one completed game is allowed entrance into MM, but that's just me, I've said that from the beginning.

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
It's not that I don't like Mojang, it's just that I don't think Minecraft is equal to the Half Life franchise, the Left 4 Dead series, Portal, Team Fortress 2, and the Source Engine.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
nukethewhales said:
I don't get it. I think its a nice story of the little persons triumph over all the big people that run the industry.
People are getting upset that Mojang is beating the other companys, but why? They made a SINGLE good game (too my knowledge), do people think this victory will last forever? Of course it won't, nintendo isn't going to stop makeing games, nor will Valve or any other competition.

Please keep it a bit civil by the way, thanks.
Below i get a bit ranty and might be a bit "Uncivil" upon reflection , feel free to skip it, can't say i didn't give you an option ;D

Frankly im getting board of all this copy paste crap the gameing industry is shoveing down our througts and i am finding more and more games made by tiny companys that i enjoy way more than anything nintendo, valve, capcom or nintendo realeased in the past 5 years.
Just for the sake of being "correct", they haven't "made a single good game" as of yet. Minecraft is still in beta testing, which some people could argue that charging to play a a beta could be wrong.... (not me, but some people)

Honestly, I don't think Mojang is a bad developer and Minecraft isn't a bad game. I personally don't see why the game is so beloved, but I don't have to hate it because I don't get it.

However, to put things in perspective for everyone.....THIS IS JUST A FUN LITTLE VOTING THING THE ESCAPIST DID TO PARODY MARCH MADNESS BASKETBALL. QUIT TAKING IT SO FUCKING SERIOUSLY. Sorry about that, I just had to let it out.

I think the reason the mainstream media puts such a negative light on the gaming community is bull crap just like this. People getting so mad and angry about simple little things. Mojang is good, Bioware is good, Valve is good. Get over it people..

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
nukethewhales said:
I don't get it. I think its a nice story of the little persons triumph over all the big people that run the industry.
People are getting upset that Mojang is beating the other companys, but why? They made a SINGLE good game (too my knowledge), do people think this victory will last forever? Of course it won't, nintendo isn't going to stop makeing games, nor will Valve or any other competition.

Please keep it a bit civil by the way, thanks.
Below i get a bit ranty and might be a bit "Uncivil" upon reflection , feel free to skip it, can't say i didn't give you an option ;D

Frankly im getting board of all this copy paste crap the gameing industry is shoveing down our througts and i am finding more and more games made by tiny companys that i enjoy way more than anything nintendo, valve, capcom or nintendo realeased in the past 5 years.
I dont hate them i just dont think its right how they can easily win a gaming competition over HUGE developers for ONE game thats in BETA