Why do people hate Mojang?

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
Its not that they hate Mojang, its more that they just want a larger developer to win, personally I think it's silly but ah well, just be happy that they won if you agree.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
nukethewhales said:
I don't get it. I think its a nice story of the little persons triumph over all the big people that run the industry.
I rest my case. You'd think "you people" had never seen an indie game...

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
ZiggyE said:
nukethewhales said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/539.274279-Round-6-1-BioWare-vs-16-Mojang-AB
then i have seen like 5 other posts bashing it.
So someone preferring one company over another and getting mad over it is hate? That's how March Mayhem works.

Actual said:
I don't hate them, I respect what they've done very much.

However their game doesn't appeal to me personally and I think the extreme level of rabid loyalty they're getting is perplexing. March Madness was the best example of this, people were dumping on companies who've provided us with years of quality gaming for the producers of a digital lego game.
Quoted for truth. It really rustles my jimmies that Mojang is winning thanks to an incomplete game made up of lego blocks made of pixels but I don't HATE Mojang.

I, however, hate the Mojang fanbase quite strongly.
This is exactly how I feel. I understand that Minecraft is fun but it is not a game. It has no overarching plot, no goal to work towards and is just a time waster. Being as it is not a game, is still in beta, and is just not a game than can compare with the likes of developers that it has beaten.

But I do not hate Mojang... just their fanboys.

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Accountfailed said:
Because we gamers as a community, are a bunch of pseudo-asperger cases with a massive aversion to change, if one of the big awesome companies that we held in our hearts didn't win, it's because naturally the other team was cheating or the voting system is broken or it's because of all the gosh-darned fanboi casual fuckheads who came in and voted for the bad game that HAS to be bad because we don't like it. Because ANYTHING is easier than admitting the fact that we are NOT ultra elite, super people with ultra elite super people opinions, and are instead a bunch of nerds who are just as stupid as they are clever. where we give you a complex mathematical equation and solve it in seconds, we also ***** because "OMGZ Game x is just a fucking time-sink all there is is derp and there is no herp like in my favourite game which is the best game ever because I like it and I am the smartest person ever. SO. FUCKING. SMRT. OMGZ."

After seeing the AMOUNT OF BUTTHURT and IMMATURITY that Mojang's victories have brought up from some "fairly clever" escapist forumgoers, This is the only conclusion I've come to. congratulations, you CHILDREN.

Maybe, just maybe, can we be glad that a small time guy beat a huge company with something so original and outlandish? no? okay then, enjoy 'Halo: Reach 2'
I would, it would be more of a proper game than minecraft. Hell, I would rather play Reach:3

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
It's not that they hate Mojang, its that their devotion to the other companies out ranks their new love of this fairly new developer. They still love Mojang but hate to see their industries that they've grown up with get beaten so easily. I for one am root for Mojang all the way now.

Votix

Apr 2, 2010
It did piss me off they won against some of the biggest companies but I don't hate Mojang. Minecraft really looks like a enjoyable game for me. Still, beating Valve and Bioware currently which have years of games under their belt being beat by one game is surprising.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Because they have a rabid fanbase that'll fight for their side tooth and nail.

This is the exact same thing that happened with Turbine (LOTRO) a year or two ago. Turbine came in and swept through March Mayhem almost with ease (even people voting against them in spite didn't stop them) because their fans came in and voted for them. They had a lot of fans.

This pissed people off, and then we don't really hear negativity, but frustration. Don't worry, other companies will take Mojang's place, and people can get pissed off about MM next year.
This idea bothers me. While it's true that Notch mentioned March Madness in his personal correspondence, so did a lot of other companies (Bioware included!). Furthermore, considering that round 5 Bioware vs. Blizzard had so many more votes (about 10000 more) than round 5 Valve Vs. Mojang, I cannot see the evidence for a fan-fueled swarm of votes for Mojang. If anything, I see the complete opposite.

So making the claim that a horde of biased, uninformed voters swooped in and messed up the bracket doesn't seem to work from where I'm standing. Sure, there were obviously some extra votes cast for Mojang alone - but probably not a statistically significant number.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Alas, as a game made/being made by a good developer starts getting popular they will start getting the dreaded fanboy following who will always gloat and swoon over the games positives but disregard any possible negatives about the game.

That's always a big reason why developers like Bungie or Valve can get a lot of hate. Great developers who make great games... but can be ruined by some bad seeds in their respective communities.

Flyingmind

Mar 17, 2011
Don't get me wrong, i've had a lot of great times with Minecraft, but the games potential is lost because of the developers lack of compentence.
Mojang has barely finished one game, and instead of working on it, they spend their money travelling and playing with nerf guns

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Don't hate Mojang, Minecraft has been one of my favourite games of this year. I'll be glad when March Mayhem is over so the nerdrage and flamewars can die down. So what if Mojang is winning March Mayhem and I'm sure most of the developers in it have paid very little attention to what's going on, and surely a small indie developer is going to benefit a lot more from the publicity of winning the March Mayhem, which is a drop in the ocean for the exposure the Valve's and Bioware's of the industry get.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Douk said:
My only problem is that they rarely update their fucking game and when they do its something small that probably didn't take 4 weeks.
THey update more than most developers!
No, no they don't. They update more than some, but not most.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
That's why I chose to not partake in the voting this year. People choose a side and if it doesn't win they hate whoever their chosen developer lost to. Happened with Zynga last year and now it was Mojang's turn.

Personally I love Minecraft and Mojang has my full support :D

forsinain42

Oct 14, 2009
Stevanchez said:
forsinain42 said:
zpucek said:
Why do people LOVE Mojang?
Because they are a game company that doesn't care about profits/commercial success. They are a company who do what they love and that love comes through in minecraft.

I get the same feeling from double fine and to a lesser extent. valve. They are people who really want to make games and it shows.
Yeah. I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one.

Do they make you pay for the game?
Then they care about profit.

Did they not just ask all of their fans to further their exposure by voting and getting the word out about their game on a widely veiwed gaming website?
Then they care about commercial success and exposure.

Come on, let's not make it out like their the one pure light in the dark world of evil gaming corporations.

I don't hate Mojang, I don't like their game, I don't think they deserved to win MM, but it's not that big of a deal and the extremes on both sides are REALLY ridiculous.
Notch wanted to make this into his job, sure. But he charged £8, not £50 and yet minecraft is the game I've spent the most hours in EVER. For people that care solely about profit look at activision.

'Oh? Call of duty MW2 is the most wanted game ever? Well, lets up the RRP by £15 and charge £15 for 3 new maps.' That is money for moneys sake. The result? A sup par shooter that is vastly inferior to the charm and character of minecraft.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
warcraft4life said:
I hate them! Seriously, it was a great game that's addicting and simple - but it's getting wayyyyyyy to much appreciation - it's JUST lego except there's a never ending amount and it's even harder to find :mad:
No, that's Minecraft Classic which is even more shitty than the real thing.
Personally, I'm only just starting to hate Mojang recently, because Notch sold out and became a moneywhoring asshole. My direct proof is the fucking beta update, he cranks the price to $30 (nz, shut up) which is far too high for a game of Minecraft's standards with nothing to show for the update but a pathetic little bugfix.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
Its not hate its only that I like other developers better. As others have said I feel extreme indifference towards their product and enjoy games made by other publishers. The only real hate comes from them messing up peoples and my bracket which means nothing when it comes down to it.

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
mad825 said:
Quite the contrary, Mojang hasn't even made one complete game yet. I would call that unfair by the fact they won but hey that's my opinion.
I've been playing Minecraft for several months now and have been a devoted gamer (read: massive socially dysfunctional nerd) ever since my very first Atari 2600 back in the stone ages.

They deserved the win.

Regardless of the incompleteness of the game itself, they deserved the win.