Why do people hate Mojang?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Why do people hate Mojang? Because Mojang won March Mayhem.
Why did Mojang win March Mayhem? Because people love Mojang.

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
Minecraft is a fantastic game.

Mojang is an awful developer.

They get perhaps 1/10th of the work done with a team of 8 that Notch got done when he was doing it singlehandedly while working his other job.

They had a game with a massive amount of potential that's going to waste. It's a real shame.

Before someone responds to me telling me I'm entitled or some rubbish, the best the company who are supposed to be working full time on minecraft could muster in a month, was wolves. And even they're buggy as hell.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Your question really should be: "Why do SOME people hate Mojang". To which I would answer: "why do some people hate ANYTHING!".

People hate stuff for all sorts of reasons. Apart from air and water, there's nothing that is universally liked by humans.

Some people hate Mojang because they don't like or get Minecraft, and they are bemused to see the popularity and attention that Minecraft has attracted. Some people don't like Minecraft because it's made by an indie developer. Some people don't like Minecraft because it lacks structure and it takes a while to get going. Some people don't like Mojang because Notch is a heavy-set fellow. Some people don't like Mojang because it begins with the letter 'M', some people don't like Mojang because they liked other studios that participated in MM more, some people don't like Mojang because they irrationally hate everything! And some people hate Mojang because a website told them to hate it.

Some people will always hate something. That's the world. Get used to it. I know I have.

As for why people LIKE Mojang - some people find Minecraft's free-roaming, no boundaries approach to be liberating. Some people really like how Minecraft is like nothing else on the market. Some people like the fact that such a popular game could have been made by a very, very small team. Some people like Mojang because it begins with the letter 'M', some people like Mojang because it's an indie studio, some people like Mojang because they got up one day and said "hey, I kinda like minecraft", some people like Mojang because a forum post or a website told them to like it.

Humans are fickle creatures. No two are exactly alike, and, in case you didn't know, there's nearly 7 BILLION of them on this planet! Yeah! Kinda of lot of people! The actual figure is around 6.9+ Billion, but it's predicted that by the end of this year the world's population will reach 7 billion. If not this year, definitely next year (barring any incredibly horrific events that is). That's 7 billion individual human beings, with different brains, lifestyles, memories, upbringings, experiences and tastes. Point to X and I'll bet my life that I can point to someone who hates X. There is no point to asking "why do people hate X". People have, and always will, hate stuff for no real reason. I STILL can't figure out why someone would hate someone based on skin pigmentation or geographical location, yet loads of people do, and that puzzles me to no end!

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
I don't hate them. What I don't like about them is that they are going to win March Madness because they created one game that they hasn't released yet.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
secretsantaone said:
Minecraft is a fantastic game.

Mojang is an awful developer.

They get perhaps 1/10th of the work done with a team of 8 that Notch got done when he was doing it singlehandedly while working his other job.

They had a game with a massive amount of potential that's going to waste. It's a real shame.

Before someone responds to me telling me I'm entitled or some rubbish, the best the company who are supposed to be working full time on minecraft could muster in a month, was wolves. And even they're buggy as hell.
You know why right? It's because they've got people paying for their beta. They don't have the incentive to finish it because it's already bringing in income.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I never hated it. I just wanted a chance to win the cool laptop.
Would make a great Christmas present for my brother.

Mojang just kind of messed with my bracket. I expected Valve to trump them at least on this site. They won.

So, I tried to use a vocal minority to win I guess...and it blew up in my face.

Awesome...'sigh'

Then again, I was surprised Bioware made it to the finals too. Shows what I know about you people.

I didn't care if Bioware won. Be pretty freaking awesome, but I expected Blizzard or Valve or Bethesda to take the cake.

Next year man....next year...and maybe one day I'll play the damn game.

ELD3RGoD

Apr 23, 2010
I don't hate the developer, I hate the game. But it is my personal opinion. I hate grinding in games which is the reason I put WoW down in the first day of trying it. I have a life to live outside of games and grinding to get a new sword... to grind again irritates me to high heaven.

And as minecraft is literally... about mining and building and mining and building and mining and building and boom, dead, respawn, mining and building. I did not enjoy it nor find any point to it. I need a story to compell me and I need some sort of REASON to be playing that game and to me, minecraft doesn't have any reasoning behind it. Sure it might be fun for a while, but I know i'd play it, build my dream castle... and then do nothing after that.

Dr. Win

Jan 2, 2011
mad825 said:
Quite the contrary, Mojang hasn't even made one complete game yet. I would call that unfair by the fact they won but hey that's my opinion.
This^

By all means I like Mojang, but it's a bit ridiculous that they won March Mayhem, especially going up against developers that, you know, actually made and published a game. If their rabid fans are going to argue "but they put so much effort in updates" then why didn't Valve beat them? *Looks at TF2 suggestively*

Hijax

Jun 1, 2009
I don't think most people hates Mojang as a company. If they do, because they don't like minecraft, well fair enough. While i like it, it's not for everyone.

I think many people, myself included, hate the fanatic minecraft fanbase. The fact that a company with one, admittedly innovative and fun game, could beat established, class developers like Ninetndo, Bioware, and valve.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
If I had to guess, I'd say it's because all they did was make one game and they're dominating game developers who've been in here longer and worked just as hard or even harder to make games look beautiful and complex only to be crushed out by a Lego-styled game?

Honestly, that's my best guess to why they'd get any hate.

Really, I didn't know who Mojang even was untill recently.

Sad Face

Oct 29, 2010
I don't hate them...I wouldn't have put them over Valve or Double Fine...or a dozen others for that matter...but the hype with them is high right now so that's that.

I don't hate them though.

Edit: Recaptcha just had a division sign in there...how am I supposed to type that?