Why DO people hate Nickelback?

Sep 14, 2009
Hagi said:
People want to be special and unique little snowflakes. They do this by hating on what's mainstream.

Then there's people like me who also want to be special and unique little snowflakes, but do this by hating on the people hating on what's mainstream.

And I'm sure somebody will come along soon to prove they're an even more special and unique little snowflake by hating on me hating on people hating on what's mainstream.

At which point I'll come back and prove that I'm the most special and most unique little snowflake by hating on the people hating on the people hating on the people hating on what's mainstream.
i'm quite surprised someone hasn't quoted you yet doing this. usually that person loads up wikipedia links like crazy to try to prove some objective point on the matter and act extremely elitist to the point hipster doesn't even cut it.

still, well played, i tend to join your exact spectrum on hateful matters ;]

Retronana

Nov 27, 2010
I don't really like them but some of their stuff is catchy and sounds alright. I could see myself getting bored of them really quickly but no I don't hate them.

vfaulkon

Jul 21, 2008
Well, judging by the thread thus far people hate them because they're just kind of average. I can see their point - aside from Chad Kroeger's voice, there's nothing distinctive about them at all IMO, and it's easy to criticize that the essence behind all of their songs is interchangeable with each other, making it hard to remember specific pieces unless you're a fan.

As far as I'm concerned, though, I don't see the reason to hate them. I like their sound and I've no objections to hearing them on the radio, so while I agree that there's not much of substance to their work, I can still drum along on the steering wheel and bob my head a bit to it.

There are DEFINITELY better bands out there, no doubt about it, and I think anyone who says they're the best thing EVAR needs their horizons expanded, but I see no shame in saying 'I like Nickelback.'

wottabout

May 4, 2011
I also like most of Nickelback's music (I despise "Rockstar" with a passion). Their songs sound the same, but I happen to like that sound.

It is best to think of Nickelback as a single song. Some people will like it, some won't, but this single song (aka Nickelback) is played on the radio very often, so people who might have liked it otherwise will gravitate away from it due to over-exposure.

I don't think that Nickelback deserves so much hate, but I can definitely see where the hate is coming from.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
...Wait, how can you hate something for being average? Seriously, how is that even possible?

That's what a lot of this thread's replies seem to be adding up to. Isn't it a contradiction to hate something for being inoffensive?

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
CODE-D said:
I used to like them but after Far away they turned country and of course country is awful
but at least we have
How you remind me
Far away
Savin Me
Someday
I have to agree with ya there and those are like the only 3 songs I like from them.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I actually like some songs Nickelback does. They aren't songs I would listen to as often as other artists, but they aren't bad. Overall I think they are mediocre, and undeserving of the level of ire they get.

Daystar Clarion said:
Worse than freakin' Linkin Park, and that's something.
I always say "I like Hybrid Theory, not Linkin' Park".

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Snarky said:
It's because they are Canadian, people have an irrational fear of Canadians. They are too quiet and generally don't cause a lot of trouble.
I raise you a Shatner and a Jim Carrey. I'll wait on your ante before dumping the next 100 of the list on you. But yes, we get the joke.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
ReincarnatedFTP said:
Furioso said:
I never really cared about them until all their latest songs started coming out on the radio, the last 2 or whatever have both been about getting black out drunk, stupid stupid stupid stupid etc
This is what I mean lyrically.
Nickelback has lyrics about equal with Kesha's "I brush my teeth with a bottle of jack" or whatever.
And their music is the same quality.
I'll just leave this here:

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
As far as im aware its cause their kinda safe and samey, they dont really stick out with their own thing in the slightest, but thats jsut what ive heard from friends as i have no real problem with them.

PipPup

Apr 22, 2011
CODE-D said:
I used to like them but after Far away they turned country and of course country is awful
but at least we have
How you remind me
Far away
Savin Me
Someday
I agree. I really enjoy these songs, but any other Nickleback song turns me off. I'm not big on songs that hold a lack of substance based on sex,drugs, and anything of that sort. Also, the country twang just isn't my things.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Nieroshai said:
Snarky said:
It's because they are Canadian, people have an irrational fear of Canadians. They are too quiet and generally don't cause a lot of trouble.
I raise you a Shatner and a Jim Carrey. I'll wait on your ante before dumping the next 100 of the list on you. But yes, we get the joke.
Denny Crane!

I hear he was in some other show in the 60s....It didn't last long, though, so it probably wasn't any good.

Man, I'm gonna get it.

Gustavo S. Buschle

Feb 23, 2011
I don't really understand it myself, the "their songs sound the same" just isn't really a valid argument for me, also, no one has ever given me an example of how they sound bad people just say things like "His singing is bad" but don't specify. The worst part in my in my opinion is how the ratio of how bad they are to how much hate they get is so huge compared to most mainstream bands/singers.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Basically, everything else everybody else said, but my hatred runs deeper as my mom loves this crap. So, I have to hear it at times, these times make me want to murder someone...

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Oh that's easy:

Nickelback is repetitive, boring, repetivitive, uncreative, repetitive, shallow and really pretty repetitive.

Every song sound exactly the same, the lyrics are pretty uninspiring as well and artistically, they haven't evolved one bit in the umpteen years they're making music which is a damn good reason for hate.

seriously, Nickelback is to music what C-A-D is to webcomics.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
vrbtny said:
Trivea said:
I personally like Nickelback, but that has nothing to do with why I don't get all the hate. My question is, why do people hate Nickelback so much when the Black Eyed Peas still insist on existing?
Because they are good honest trashy pop. There not some trash masquerading under the cover of being a half-hearted rock band?

Why listen to Nickelback when you could just listen to the infinitely better 3 Doors Down?

Oh yes I did
THIS MAN WILL LEAD US TO A FUTURE OF MUSICAL HOPE!

No seriously three doors down are awesome.

That song they did was good. You know. The one thats all of them with different names. Its a nice song. Well two songs. Slow song (how you remind me) and fast song. I think slow song has some deep feelings while fast song has some nice beats. But other than that i get a bit bored of slow and fast song. Maybe they should make more han two.