Why DO people hate Nickelback?

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Probably becuase they're a rock band with no distinguishable sound, whose songs all sound the same and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Worse than freakin' Linkin Park, and that's something.
So they're like Owl City or pretty much any other "band" that's been popular in the last few years?

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I'll just go with the whole massively succesful while been massively mediocre reasoning! Actually reading that nickleback are the musical equivelant of CoD spooky.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
I just don't know where to begin, so many people have already said what I would like to say, so in short Nickelback makes Bryan Adams look good...or bad depending on how you look at it considering they both come from the same place.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Pompey71 said:
I think Nickelback are great-- and they'll be even more great once they learn ALL the possible chords!! (please note sarcasm as I violently hate their music)
Learning all the possible chords kind of sounds like an impossible task, seeing as how the combinations are endless.

SO WONDERFULLY ENDLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

DMShade

Dec 6, 2007
I was inundated out of ever liking them at a particular job where the radio was only allowed to be on one station. Said station played Nickelback 5 times in 4 hours, and only 3 songs. Worse than that, their playlist seldom changed, to the point where I knew the time by what was playing. The point of something like the radio is to help you LOSE track of time as you work by having something pleasant about, but not in this case..."Savin' Me is playing, it must be...yep, 10:15. This day is never going to end."

Jan 27, 2011
Personally, I like them. They do wild-nonsense songs, AND meaningful sounding songs pretty well.

I don't really follow the band, but I like a lot of their songs.

RoevsangerBoerge

Mar 29, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
...Wait, how can you hate something for being average? Seriously, how is that even possible?

That's what a lot of this thread's replies seem to be adding up to. Isn't it a contradiction to hate something for being inoffensive?
Indeed, Blame it on verbal inflation.
I don't hate Nickelback, I just dislike them ;)

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
As someone who mildly tolerates SOME of their music and has one or two of their tracks on her gaming playlist they are alright. I don't believe that they deserve as much fame as they've gotten. Most of their songs are the same shite spouted over and over it is coincidentally why I don't listen to the radio anymore. After this weekend I'm finally taking "Rockstar" out of my itunes library(ironically it is only there because I have a friend who wants the track because he likes the song). There is so much better music in the world than the mainstream bullshite that gets shoved down everyone's throats and sadly most people won't get to hear it. Anyone who says that they are the best band in the world I will sit down at my laptop and start playing bands that they've never heard of and blow their mind with my collection of over 8k songs. which barely puts a dent into the amount of cds I have.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
dfcrackhead said:
This video pretty much sums up what I don't like, plus the fact that every song they've put out in the last 4 years has been either "Lets get drunk/fucked up" or "Lets have tons of sex" and it's really damn tiresome.
Ow, my mind. It has been blown. I never thought they really sounded THAT same-y in their songs but I listened to that video with headphones on and it kinda fucked with my head for a minute.

OT: I don't think that Nickleback is terrible. I would be lying if I said I didn't like some of their songs. But then again I could also be in a ridiculous minority seeing as how I also like Linkin Park a lot more than everyone else seems to on these forums...

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I don't hate them, in fact, when I was younger I used to like them. There are a couple of good riffs they had, but by and large they're just a bit average. They're like a heavier, more canadian Coldplay. Musical cardboard. If I wanted to listen to interesting contemporary rock there are bands like Stone Sour or Alter Bridge around.

notsosavagemessiah

Jul 23, 2009
Dusty Fred said:
Okay, this was prompted by the latest episode of Feed Dump, but it's a question I've been wondering for a long time now.

People are entitled to their opinions and some things induce outright hatred, fine. But there seems to be a particularly keen hatred for Nickelback, so I assume there must be a reason or interconnected set of reasons.

I'm approaching this as a fan of them, I don't mind admitting that. They don't need my defence so I'm not here to have an argument with someone. Just curious as to why the have their own strain of visceral dislike...

because they are bland, boring, and have absolutely nothing special to offer music. this would be serviceable if their songwriting was any good, but it's just cheese all the way through. unexciting music coupled with piss poor song writing is why people hate them.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I like them. Mostly the older stuff, but some of the newer music is pretty endearing for some reason. Then again, I don't take them seriously, so I'm more able to accept it for what it is for me personally; Samey, but decent music.

It's a matter of opinion.

I listened to the videos playing their songs on either side...and they're pretty similar. A lot of the ques are the same, timing, and etc, however, I'm still very able to distinguish between songs. That might be due to having listened to them quite a bit, but I digress. I partly think this is intrinsic to most, if not all bands out there now. They develop a particular sound and that sort of becomes their musical identity.

I have an eclectic musical taste ranging from musicals and sonatas to screaming metal, pop, jpop, and industrial/trance...etc, etc, etc.

So, yeah. They're fine with me. Also, Creed is good as is Linkin Park. I have zero problem with the "mainstream" nonsense. I listen to whatever I find enjoyable.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
I think it probably has something to do with personal tastes. Maybe, just maybe, a majority of people don't like their music, BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIKE THEIR MUSIC.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Psycho-Toaster said:
Because they're bad.

Mmkay?

OT: I don't much like them, and it's true that all (or at least almost all) of their songs follow the same formula, but I get the impression that people mostly hate them because they're popular. I only say this because the people who hate them most don't seem to have ever actually listen to many of their songs. They've heard one or two that they barely recollect, and then feel comfortable making broad statements about their talent overall. Doesn't make sense.