Why Do People Like Batman So Much?

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
I mean, seriously. Why? He's such a . . . boring character. The Punisher does "conflicted terror-bringing vigilante" better and then you've got the issue the Robin issue which completely destroys this "dark and gritty" tone.

Sorry, I don't mean to rant. I mean, yeah, OK, I dislike the character. I'm biased. But I honestly, truly do not see the appeal of the character. I'm completely lost as to why he's so popular. I'm looking to understand why people like him beyond "he's a badass" or "because he's Batman". A bit of a dissection would be lovely.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Was one of the first heroes to have a properly "tragic" backstory from my knowledge. It makes him endearing.

He's also just a normal guy. Having someone whose only advantage in life was "money" being able to grow up and go toe to toe with the supposed Man of Steel in many situations makes him relatable in a way. Y'know, that whole "man, if I had money and the same situations... I could do that."

Also because Batman.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
There are many incarnations of the character, you know, there isn't really a single Batman. While somewhat consistent, the portrayal does differ across movies, shows, comics, games, other comics, other movies, other comics still, etc. Maybe you don't like a particular spin on the character.

I am not a fan myself, however, I did like he animated series a lot back in the day - they were...for a lack of a better term, badass. Also, serious enough and didn't really talk down to kids, I really liked that. There was slightly more character interaction, plot and drama than the normal shows for kids my age then. The villains were also interesting. Ugh, that's what I can recall right now, though - I haven't seen it in more than a decade and a half. Still, the fact that I recall that much should be indicative that it impressed me.

Other than the TAS I haven't really looked into Batman that much. Not that I find him boring...well, partly, however, it's just not as interesting to me as other stuff. Different tastes and so on - I like other stuff more than I like Batman. I can see why other would like him, though and there is a wide enough variety between the Batmans that even two fans could find different things appealing in the character.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
DoPo said:
There are many incarnations of the character, you know, there isn't really a single Batman. While somewhat consistent, the portrayal does differ across movies, shows, comics, games, other comics, other movies, other comics still, etc. Maybe you don't like a particular spin on the character.

I am not a fan myself, however, I did like he animated series a lot back in the day - they were...for a lack of a better term, badass. Also, serious enough and didn't really talk down to kids, I really liked that. There was slightly more character interaction, plot and drama than the normal shows for kids my age then. The villains were also interesting. Ugh, that's what I can recall right now, though - I haven't seen it in more than a decade and a half. Still, the fact that I recall that much should be indicative that it impressed me.

Other than the TAS I haven't really looked into Batman that much. Not that I find him boring...well, partly, however, it's just not as interesting to me as other stuff. Different tastes and so on - I like other stuff more than I like Batman. I can see why other would like him, though and there is a wide enough variety between the Batmans that even two fans could find different things appealing in the character.
Yeah, I'm a big comics guy. I know about the different incarnations. I actually find the silliness of the "Brave and the Bold"-type Batman kind of endearing. I think that's actually part of the reason I don't like him; I know too much about comics. I mean, people say "he's awesome because he's a normal guy that can go toe-to-toe with gods", but the comics are never really written in a way that explains why. It's just sort of accepted as fact. It's quite a bit worse in the current continuity, because Batman hasn't really done much of anything in the main Justice League book at all. It sort of ruins the illusion of the comics, because, logically, any situation in which Batman can be helpful shouldn't even register on Superman's to-do list, let alone the whole League's. And the writers never go out of their way to make me believe otherwise.

Admittedly, this isn't so much a problem with the character as the situations he's placed in, but DC has always had very fragile suspension of disbelief (in that half the heroes there don't just solve all the world's problems in a day) and Batman tends to stretch it too thin.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I have always enjoyed the character because of how emotionally imbalanced he was. He takes such person responsibility for things outside his control and he obsesses over them constantly never stopping. I think his character is fascinating when written well. A lot of the things I like about batman do carry over to The Punisher again only when written well. The tend to follow Batman and Punisher more than any other characters. The end of Rucka's run on Punisher made me stop reading marvel atm, it was the only series I had any interest in.

I honestly loved All Star Batman even though everyone hated it. I found that they did a excellent job at bringing out all the characters more flawed characteristics which made them far more engaging to read.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Drago-Morph said:
I'm actually not into comics, so what you said kinda flew over me. Still, I'd like to take the opportunity to post this

And for what it's worth, I myself find Supermen's entire premise too boring. Having him in the same universe as Batman doesn't do any of the two justice.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Because he's Batman

I don't know, maybe it's because it proves that you don't need superpowers to be a superhero? Though he is insanely rich instead, which is just as unattainable for most people.

Also the angst. People are suckers for some angst. I know I am.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
I think Batman would be much better if DC didn't feel the need to put all their superheros in one universe, because if you put him next to superman, green lantern or the flash, he's kind of useless unless you got the bat-god route (which of course they did) in a vain attempt to make him more "even" with the rest.

On his own, though, he's a good character, though the show is almost always stolen by his villains.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
He is more "human" for not having superpowers like Superman, The Flash, Plastic Man and etc. I mean we can't exactly relate properly with Superman god like powers while Batman have an eternal struggle which make him more related to us in way.

Also a good superhero is nothing without a good supervillain, I mean people know of the Batman enemies then they do with the Flash rouge gallery.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
For me, one of the main reasons is his villains. He has one of the most complex, symbolic, ambiguous set of villains I've ever seen, and a lot of them are genuinely compelling characters. They're madmen, a lot of them, madmen and murderers as opposed to the ridiculous colourful aliens that Superman, Green Lantern and the Fantastic Four tend to face.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Yeah, Batman may be overdone these days but he's just so damn cool. He's a (disgustingly rich) normal guy who handicaps himself even in the face of stronger and greater enemies. Joker's a mad man but Batman won't kill him. Bane is ridiculously strong but Batman won't use a gun to stop him. I find there's appeal in a singular minded hero who trains his mental and physical faculties to peak perfection rather than have powers to rely on.

Luna

Apr 28, 2012
He's the greatest hero of all time. He's a genius, unlike most super heroes, and the villains are so good too, he contrasts their zany personalities with his hard justice outlook.

Dec 10, 2012
Unlike most other heroes, super or otherwise, Batman is willing to do bad to get a greater good done. I guess, in a word, he's "gritty," though that is of course a terribly hackneyed word these days. But he is.

Superman is pure good and merciful justice all the time, no matter what, i.e., boring. Most of the comic book heroes are, to greater and lesser degrees, the same way. Even in the face of total world-wide destruction, very few heroes will ever compromise their pure head-in-the-clouds ideals, and will always try to save the villian at the same time as stopping him.

Batman is more grey than that. He's more committed to justice than anyone, but he doesn't sacrifice the bigger picture to keep the smaller one intact, if you know what I mean. If he has to break someone's fingers one at a time to get the information he needs to save dozens of innocent lives, he will, or at least be forced to decide on what is more important between his conscience and the good of others. Most heroes will somehow use their powers to find some convenient way out of the moral dilemma, but Batman has to reconcile these things all the time.

That's the thing that makes Batman fascinating, his struggles with moral ideals and the reality of crime and justice. There are others who do too of course, such as The Punisher, but Batman was the first to do it, and his mythology has had a lot of time to build him into a legendary figure. Most people's first exposure to the morally grey hero IS Batman.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Silvanus said:
For me, one of the main reasons is his villains. He has one of the most complex, symbolic, ambiguous set of villains I've ever seen, and a lot of them are genuinely compelling characters. They're madmen, a lot of them, madmen and murderers as opposed to the ridiculous colourful aliens that Superman, Green Lantern and the Fantastic Four tend to face.
Yep. The rogues gallery is what I like about Bats. I also think some of the Batman stories are the best you'll get in the superhero genre...outside Hitman, Doom Patrol, Animal Man or Suicide Squad. I don't still have my old collection but I still have trades of Year One, TDKR, Long Halloween, Death in the Family, and Arkham Asylum.

Sep 24, 2008
You know, people keep complaining about Superman because he's basically a God and no one can beat him because of all of his powers.

But people will pitch a freaking fit if Batman loses because he is the Batman and he should. Never. LOSE!! I'm sorry, I put my faith behind superhuman powers of an alien more than I do that someone wins because he is more popular.

Batman has the worse power of all: Plot Armor. And his power comes from the most lame source: Fanboy-ism and writer favoristim. He can't lose simply because the character wasn't written with any weakness. Superman has weaknesses that people readily exploit all the time. Batman has no weakness because no one will allow them.

Let me tell you, as a person who worked out a lot and temporarily can't now because of two messed up fingers, your body doesn't reach a set level of strength for the rest of your life just because you trained up to it once. Sure, maybe he could still kick butt because he does that all the time. But I rarely, RARELY see him train to keep his strength goals up. He'll do it every once and again, but he doesn't sleep enough to keep that stuff up, he goes by 'will alone' which accounts for jack shit in terms of bodily needs... God.

Not to mention the logical reasons why Batman should never win a fight against Supes. Superman can sometimes keep up with the Flash, a being known to leave the speed of light in the dust. By the time Batman would even consider going to his krypton ring, Supes should already be by his side, pinning Bat's arms helplessly... if Supes still allowed Bats to keep them.

Think about it. People keep saying he's a man that can keep up with the Superhumans. In order to keep up with Supes or the Flash, not only does Bats have to understand the threat at the Speed of Light... He has to figure out a plan of action and act on it faster than the speed of light. I personally found it stupefying when they had Batman trip up the Flash with marbles he had in his belt. We're talking about the Flash. The man who can run around the earth in under a second. He has to be dodging a LOT of stuff doing that. But he has problems dodging a few marbles thrown out by a normal man?

I don't even get why people are afraid of him. He killed maybe... a few people in his time as Batman (Modern day batman, I mean. When Batman first came out, dude traveled with a six shooter). The most Batman does is mess you up. And yeah, I get it. pain hurts. But has Batman actively tortured anyone? Waterboarding, Car Batteries to nuts? Anything? If not, why does he command more fear that a freaking flying God that can literally hurl mountains? Why, because one day the Batman might snap and forget his code? Ok, but for that matter you should be infinitely more afraid of Supes or any superhero because the same might happen.

TheVampwizimp said:
Superman is pure good and merciful justice all the time, no matter what, i.e., boring. Most of the comic book heroes are, to greater and lesser degrees, the same way. Even in the face of total world-wide destruction, very few heroes will ever compromise their pure head-in-the-clouds ideals, and will always try to save the villian at the same time as stopping him.
Honestly, this is why I like Superman more. Batman could decide to use his Billions to make the streets of Gotham really clean. The amount of equipment and training he could give the cops of Gotham? NO ONE would commit a crime with a police force of 'Quasi-Batmans'. But he selfishly allows crime to go on so he can vicariously beat up the thugs he couldn't as a kid.

However, Superman could decide... Fuck it. Who will stop me? I have needs. I have wants. And I have the means to get it. Heavy is the head that wears the crown. Can you imagine what you would do if you were given Godhood? Can you imagine the metric tons of shit that would be scared out of you if you witnessed someone who was actually given those abilities? What would you do if he decided he didn't like you? Where would you go? How could you ever live?

Seriously, the reason I have problems with Comics today is that if any of us were given super powers.... I'd say 60 percent of us would turn to a life of crime, 20 of us would only use it for self service purposes, maybe 15 would be heroes and the last five couldn't be bothered.

But Clark believes in something more than his self. More than his wants or desires. There are a ton of sources where Superman says how easy it would be just to kill these guys and be done with it. How he wakes up and every day he knows he could finally end these people and rest easier. But he believes in something. Something that is bigger than him and his vast powers. That he does believe in Truth when he can freaking make anything he wants to be Truth. That he'll champion the Common Man's Justice when all he has to be concerned about his own. He fights with himself every time he's among us humans to make the world a better place not by his own vision, but the vision that seems the most just for everyone involved. That is a strength of character not readily available these days.

Skirting between Villains and Heroic Sociopaths is weak. It's basically being a villain, but saying you're doing it for the 'right reasons'. Because we're all prey to their interpretations of what's just and what's not. That doesn't take a strength of character. That's just having a conversion with yourself and saying "things will be better if they were my way".

I'm not saying you said anything hinting to my last paragraph, but that's what I always personally understood the term 'gritty'

DaSmart1

Aug 4, 2009
I think there's something to appreciate in someone who works long and hard to achieve their superhero status, as opposed to having powers bestowed on them through birth or some freak accident.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Because he's actually a character, with motivations and shortcomings

and it also helps that he's had the only REALLY good superhero movies

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I don't like Batman, but I love the villains. Arkham City was a blast. It helped that I do like Batman Beyond and I was able to buy and use the costume the whole game. Dem wings. Dat color scheme.
But yeah, I love the Batman universe, but Bruce is really meh.