Why do people like dubstep?

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
There was a period of about a week where I couldn't *stop* listening to my Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites EP, and while I'm over that I still like this style of music. It's like rock got metal, and electronic got this. It's heavy and at times incomprehensible but is built on familiar foundations/structures.
If anyone's saying it's a passing craze, then I'd say they're being petty about it, it's not the only music out there, and you only have to listen to and you make the kind of music that you like, right? Shine on you Polka-Ska-Blackgrass loving diamonds.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
I actually don't really understand, either.

I'm surprised it seems to becoming so mainstream. It seems to be at the point where people only listen to it because it's popular. In other words, they don't really like it.

Personally, I don't dislike it. But I definitely do not see why it's not more of a niche.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I can totally see why people like dubstep in a club. The bass and everything really work well, but I dunno why on earth you'd want to sit around listening to it on an iPod. It's good in certain situations, but it's not really my cup of tea most of the time.

RichardThompson

Aug 25, 2010
I like dubstep but hate other dance/rave music.
Why? I play the tuba and bass guitar, you learn to love a good bass line.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
I dunno music like that gives me a headache and soon enough makes me aggressive, probably because it really annoys me and reminds of dickheads who drive around blasting music out of their cars.

Calvar Draveir

Feb 10, 2010
Because they made the decision to accept it for what it is, and live with what it's not. That's the whole reason anyone likes anything, I think.

gizunt

Nov 20, 2009
I used to listen to classic rock and rock in general and nothing else. It's definitly not from clubs (clubs have mainstream stuff with some changes minor changes usually).I dunno, Dubstep sounds cool, diffrent then the usual electronic stuff I hear (better in my opinion).

Feb 7, 2009
TheAztec said:
For the past few months, the only thing everyone's been talking about at school is dubstep. I had no idea what it was, so I searched it on youtube, but all I could find were videos that had nothing in them but three or four minutes of beeping and loud bass. It was literally one of the worst things I had ever heard, and I really can't see the appeal.

Why do people like it? Is there actually good dubstep out there? How did it become so popular?
We like it solely to piss you off and make you ask that question. It's a worldwide conspiracy against you.

Cxizent

Jan 14, 2009
Amos the famous said:
People like dubstep because it's beat is very primal. It's like why people like drums. It's just that primal instinct to hit something. Dubstep uses that primal urge and turns it into something to be played in a club. Ironically most people who like dubstep also like metal and visa visa in my experiences. The two genres both have that primal beat that leads to moshing and thats why people like it as far as i can see.
vice versa

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
The sheer amount of arrogant, opinionated bullshit in this thread is astounding.

Why do people like metal?
Why do people like reggae?
Why do people like classical?
Why do people like XYZ?

Now if only some people could stop acting like complete 'tards and just enjoy what they listen to.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
bahumat42 said:
its purposeless noise, can't even dance to it, waste of time.
<youtube=ltdSnq7rHks>

Ontopic: I like dubstep. I love dubstep actually, but that doesn't mean that I am a slave to the elecronic music genre. It's actually quite on the contrary. I usually dislike most techno and all that, and prefer rock and metal. It's just the whole of a proper dubstep-song that makes me enjoy it so very much. That and the endless remixes, so you never grow completely tired.

<youtube=VZMfhtKa-wo>
<youtube=TYYyMu3pzL4>
<youtube=ui_odIvVIBE>
<youtube=JB9lI5hS9a4>
<youtube=Q8NdGzzP94U>

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
I'm not sure. Honestly the sudden shifts in tone in it are just bad song-writing. It's jarring, and in any other genre it'd be called on it, because every other genre has at least some consistency within a single song.