Why do people like dubstep?

Connor Lonske

Sep 30, 2008
If Waffles and Bacon ever sees this he will have my head, buuuuuuuut I don't like 90 percent of dubstep.

I'm not gonna say it's not music, anything can be music, but I don't personally enjoy most of it because it's lazily made.

topwomble

Jun 26, 2010
I only like some of it, most of it is kind of headache-ey.
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QodrSfsboFk&feature=related

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
You can't explain why you like music. It sounds good to you, you like it. I like it mainly more melodic stuff like Skrillex, but I like almost all genres of music.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I guess people like it, I really don't know. However, I myself like Skrillex's music, but other than that... wubwubwubwubwub

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
bahumat42 said:
its purposeless noise, can't even dance to it, waste of time.

music should either evoke emotion (see anger,happiness,sadness, melancholy, peace) or be in conjunction with an activity (see swing music, most videogame songs, and the massively wide genre known as "dance")

step achieves none of these criteria, whilst also ruining the various songs it comes across (im talking to you whoever posted that butchered version of still alive.

It'l go away in due time, its gained very little traction, and whilst some elements may survive by being integrated into other genres such as house and techno(which has already happened to a certain extent), the movement itself will die down.
I am willing to bet this person has never been to club in his life.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
I'm not a huge fan of dubstep my self but there are some really good songs out there.

Like that one.

To be honest i think it's a bit remiss to dismiss any form of music as there are so many songs out there that regardless of the genera then somewhere there will be something that you'll like. If you just dismiss stuff out of hand then all you are doing is limiting your self.

Pinkros

Mar 15, 2010
Sorry, but I haven't read the whole thread, I've got better things to do (like breathing).

With that stated, let's get rolling!

So, why does people like dubstep? Subjectivity, as has been stated many times. But is it music? YES. Do you have to play the giutar for it? No, but you need to know ridiculously much about arrangements and producing to do it well. Case in point; Skrillex. Need proof? Well, here's your proof!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Hadn't really paid any attention to Dubstep (as a genre defition) before this, but based on the examples I've heard in this topic, there is isn't much that separates it definitively from plain old Techno (close to nothing, really).

I've heard very very few example of techo that I genuinely like; with most of the stock being the usual shit you're supposed to drop acid or grind to in dance clubs. Dubstep sounds like that, but with more sound effects used as notes.

Someone else can split hairs over this if they want to, but it just sounds like a more rhythmic ancestor of Poem Electronique. I don't care for it much, but I don't have any contempt for it either so long as it isn't shoved down my throat (like pop-music).

Illesdan

Sep 15, 2008
Mr.K. said:
Seems to me every teenager generation renames Techo and it's suddenly the shit again, then the clubs playing this combined with intoxicating drugs and hormones really solidifies it as "best thing evar".

I know because I was also once under that spell, no idea what the music was called at the time, I only recall barely conscious grinding up against hotties while having my ears pummeled and my wallet drained.
I swear I heard this music from the early '80s, when ghettoblasters and breakdancing was the shit. All very forgettable, sadly. Its not bad, not terrible; just generic sounds put to a loud, catchy, mindless rhythmic beat. It had no memorable qualities back in the '80s, and time certainly hasn't made it sound any better.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Because it's awesome to dance to. Flux Pavillion came to my school and it was a blast! I would never listen to it casually though, I prefer House. Not that it's a great genre, just not my thing.

EDIT:This thread is a testament of how new music is viewed upon before it settles down.
Pinkamena said:
Due to the magic of subjectivity!
This answers pretty much every damn 'Why do people like X?' thread.

ShakyFiend

Jun 10, 2009
Right, ok people several very large misconceptions about dubstep in this thread, I hope to alleviate you people from your irritating but understandable ignorance

1. Dubstep is a clearly defined genre with limits that people understand. Dubstep is not the equivalent of disco it is far more complex than that, (not because its superior just because its broader). Most producers coundnt define "dubstep" you asked them to. Case in point, ever heard any jazz dubstep?
IKSA said:
Its disco for kids these days it will go away soon enough.

2. Dubstep is easy and requires not skill
Alphonse_Lamperouge said:
there is no talent or artistry involved.
This is an understandable viewpoint. I am a musician and play several instruments but I ALSO produce tracks of my own; it is not simple. Listen to anything really well done (skrillex, benga, flux pavilion) and you can bet that took weeks to perfect, not to mention the skills you need which takes months, longer if you use more than one type of software.

3. It is just "noise"
bahumat42 said:
its purposeless noise,
. Complete wank, listen to the track above, or pretty much anything else, although even that shouldnt be necessary.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Stealthygamer said:
There are some really good dubsteps like

I have no clue how it became popular but i really don't care
Do you know what dubstep is?

No

Ok.

Just for your information, just because Skrillex made it doesn't make it dubstep. That is House, I would know because I've heard a few Houses in my time and a few Dubsteps as well. Fun fact, other than between 2:22-2:52 this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyE3EDCigE] is also house.

I like this thread, I've never seen a "dubstep sucks" thread where the majority of people don't listen to electronic music at all. So many "it's that techno music that you need to be on drugs to enjoy" and "it's that unmusic teenagers like in order to pretend they're a unique generation or some shit."

I personally don't like dubstep, but that's simply because I can't get into break-beats. It's popular because a lot of metal and rock can be easily remixed into dubstep and it's just the fad at the moment.

Jorias

Dec 10, 2008
*facepalm* geezus, really? you're going to ask the interwebs why someone likes something? Who cares? you don't like the music then don't listen to it, don't get on here bitching about how it sucks, or how much you hate it. because quite frankly no one gives a shit if you like it or not...

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
TheAztec said:
For the past few months, the only thing everyone's been talking about at school is dubstep. I had no idea what it was, so I searched it on youtube, but all I could find were videos that had nothing in them but three or four minutes of beeping and loud bass. It was literally one of the worst things I had ever heard, and I really can't see the appeal.

Why do people like it? Is there actually good dubstep out there? How did it become so popular?
Why do little girls like Justin Beiber?

Why do people listen to Lady Gaga?

Why do some people like Classical while others like KISS?

It's all a matter of personal taste, obviously Dubstep just does not agree with you.

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
Shark Wrangler said:
The music sucks and it will go away very soon. Hate this kind of crap with a passion and its not music. Everybody knows that this crap is just club music. Go out and dance to this garbage while getting very drunk. You go home with some random person and and hate yourself in the morning. Very much like to think this stuff plays in hell when you first enter.
...hate yourself in the morning? =')

Yeah, your way of living is the One Right Way and your tastes are the Objective Truth.